*** Official August 2020 thread ***

Tomh

1100 miles too far North.
Welcome to the August 2020 thread. Come on in, and join the fun planning for an August 2020 Disney World vacation!
I hope to make this thread even better than the August 2019 thread. If you think of anything that should be added here, don't hesitate to let me know.

Last edited:
August 2020 Roll Call!
If you are visiting Disney World in August 2020, post your dates, and resort in the thread, and I will add you to the roll call!

** PLEASE NOTE ** The intrepid host of this thread is, at times, not all that smart. I have *recently* realized the absolute usefulness of the "search" function in Chrome. Who knew that you could just type in someone's user name while editing a post, and magically, the line with their name, dates, resort etc. etc. just pops right up, and you don't need to search through heaven only knows how many lines trying to locate them. Obviously, editing, or removing listings is a WHOLE lot easier than I have been making it :)

Jul 30 - Aug 5 G719 AKL
Jul 31 - Aug 8 Llama mama YC
Aug 1 - Aug 5 joshua4 BLT
Aug 1 - Aug 7 aroundtheriverbend GFV / BWV
Aug 1 - Aug 15 Jaimetropmickey PoP
Aug 2 - Aug 7 Lumpy1106 BLT
Aug 2 - Aug 8 KristiKat FW Cabins
Aug 2 - Aug 8 EllyLovesDisney CSR
Aug 2 - Aug 14 jonimce FW
Aug 3 - Aug 15 charlssemp AS Sport / AKL / AOA
Aug 4 - Aug 7 Karalecia26 CSR
Aug 4 - Aug 11 jennyq87 Gran Destino / AKL
Aug 6 - Aug 14 Sandiz08 ??
Aug 8 - Aug 12 kimili8 BWI
Aug 8 - Aug 16 Hoodie 8 - 11 BC 11 - 16 offsite
Aug 8 - Aug 19 Pterjo85 8 - 11 Poly 11 - 17 AK Kidani 17 - 19 YC
Aug 9 - Aug 14 LaurenT OKW
Aug 9 - Aug 14 tinkerbelletreasure ASM
Aug 9 - Aug 21 lynnfitz Royal Pacific / BLT
Aug 9 - Aug 23 Disneylover99 PoP
Aug 10 - Aug 14 Chef Dion PoP
Aug 10 - Aug 16 Pirate princess 2 PoP
Aug 11 - Aug 16 pixarfan24 BLT PORS 18 - 20 BWI
Aug 12 - Aug 18 Mascara&Mouse Ears Poly
Aug 12 - Aug 21 figmentfinesse POP
Aug 14 - Aug 23 Redfraggle19 WL
Aug 14 - Aug 27 sleepymouse 14 - 17 AKV 21 - 27 YC
Aug 15 - Aug 21 Eventer98 BLT
Aug 15 - Aug 22 Madame BCV
Aug 15 - Aug 22 Mousemommy1 YC
Aug 15 - Aug 29 DaniMoon AS Sports
Aug 15 - Sept 1 Drr10 FWL
Aug 16 - Aug 22 mgarbowski VGF
Aug 16 - Aug 22 sromanello815 POLY
Aug 16 - Aug 26 han22735 BMV
Aug 17 - Aug 22 ari23 CBR
Aug 17 - Aug 24 ALDSMD VGF
Aug 17 - Aug 27 Adora ???
Aug 18 - Aug 27 paule350 18 - 22 AKV 22 - 27 BWI
Aug 19 - Aug 24 EmmyL258/COLOR] CBR
Aug 19 - Aug 27 tiggerplus5 19 - 23 PoP 23 - 27 FW Cabins
Aug 19 - Aug 28 pd1138 CSR
Aug 19 - Sept 3 RossS Offsite Cabana Bay / Universal
Aug 20 - Aug 29 Craig Larson POP
Aug 20 - Aug 30 canuckgirl CR
Aug 21 - Aug 28 TulipMom Offsite
Aug 21 - Aug 30 JP267 CBR
Aug 22 - Aug 28 jessiwools ASM
Aug 22 - Aug 29 The13thLetter POP
Aug 22 - Aug 29 vinmar4 22 - 25 CC 25 - 29 Riviera
Aug 22 - Aug 30 jacksmom WL
Aug 22 - Sept 13 tinkerdee 22 - 25 YC 25 - Sept 13 BWI
Aug 23 - Aug 28 bravestmerida BCV
Aug 23 - Aug 29 Palaura Poly
Aug 23 - Aug 30 Daisy7425 GF
Aug 25 - Sept 8 AJS84 CBR
Aug 26 - Aug 30 Avery&Todd GFV
Aug 26 - Sept 5 MariaGrace39 Riviera
Aug 27 - Aug 30 bama belle PoP
Aug 27 - Sept 2 Megan138 BWI
Aug 28 - Sept 4 DisLiss POP
Aug 28 - Sept 4 kiddywhompus CR
Aug 28 - Sept 4 OkanaganAmanda POP
Aug 28 - Sept 6 momof2halls CS / GDT
Aug 29 - Sept 3 cmarsh31 ASM
Aug 29 - Sept 3 j2thomason/COLOR] POP
Aug 29 - Sept 3 missyek AKL
Aug 29 - Sept 3 songsinmymind ASM
Aug 30 - Sept 3 rlk BC
Aug 31 - Sept 7 Jroceagles BC

Last edited:
News, Rumors, Disney Announcements for August 2020

Awesome Planet This new film will be taking over the Circle of Life theater in The Land pavilion, and is scheduled to open in January of 2020.

Canada Far and Wide This new circlevision 360 film will be debuting in the Canada pavilion in January of 2020.

Beauty and the Beast sing along This new show will be debuting in the France pavilion in January 2020. It will show alternately with Impressions De France.

HarmoniUS Disney's largest ever nighttime spectacular will debut in World Showcase Lagoon in 2020

Cirque du Soleil A brand new Cirque du Soleil show will open in Disney Springs, combining Disney music and animation with live performers. Previews will begin on March 20th, and world premiere will be on April 17th. Click on Cirque du Soleil above for a video of the D23 announcement. Tickets are on sale now CLICK HERE

Entertainment Cuts Several entertainment cuts will go into effect around Disney World. Buridika Band, which performs in the Central Marketplace are in Animal Kingdom's Africa, will perform their last time on October 13th. In addition, the Hakuna Matata Dance Party will be ending. In Magic Kingdom, The Muppets Present Great Moments in American History will have it's last performance on October 6th. The Royal Majesty Makers last performance will be on October 5th. The Move It! Shake It! Dance and Play It! street party will be reduced from 3 performances daily to 2 performances daily. In Hollywood Studios, the Incredibles Super Shindig dance party is coming to and end, as well as DJ's Ready! Set! Party Time! Dance Party.

As of October 1st, inside The Magic
has reported that the Mickey meet and greet in Magic Kingdom now has a live PhotoPass photographer again instead of a photo box.

Villains After Hours Returns Villains After Hours will be returning to the Magic Kingdom. The event is scheduled for a total of 14 nights between February 7th, and July 10. It will be similar to last years event. Event tickets start at $145 each for advance purchase. DVC, and AP holders receive an additional discount on tickets. Currently, the event is scheduled for February 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th, March 6th, 11th, 18th, and 27th, April 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th, May 1st, 8th, 14th, 22nd and 29th, June 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th, and 29th, and July 6th and 10th. Here is hoping that more dates will be released at a later point which will go into the end of July, and cover August. For more information, read the Disney Parks Blog post.

MNSSHP first date? Its never too early to start talking about Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, is it? Kenny the Pirate is reporting a 6 PM closing of the Magic Kingdom scheduled for Thursday August 13th. Could this be the date of the first MNSSHP of 2020? Read Kenny's article HERE

Last edited:

All things OUTSIDE of Disney World
Many of us live inside of that Disney bubble, however, over the course of the last several years, my family has discovered that there are plenty of amazing experiences to be had outside of Disney. Here, I will share some of our favorite experiences from outside of the world. If you have an experience to add, let me know!

Bahama Breeze (We have dined at their International Drive location several times, and always had a good experience. They also have restaurants on Oak Ridge Road, and Vineland Ave in Orlando, and Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway and West Osceola Parkway in Kissimmee, as well as East Altamonte Drive in Altamonte Springs)

Romano's Macaroni Grill (Located on Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway, not too far from Old Town. The food, and service here has been consistently good every time we have visited)

Leading Edge Helicopter Tours (This was an amazing experience. The pilot is super friendly, and knowledgeable. Our tour was an amazing experience)

Boggy Creek Airboat Adventures (An incredible experience! We saw alligators up close, and two bald eagles, as well as some other birds and wildlife. Well worth the money, we will do this again!)

Old Town (Located just off of West Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway / Rt 192, Old Town has a wide range of shops, bars, restaurants, and rides, plus live entertainment, and weekly car shows and cruises. We frequently attend the Friday night Muscle Car cruise, or the Saturday night Hot Rods / Classics cruise, and enjoy browsing the shops there. If anyone remembers the leather shop / kiosk which used to be near Goofy's Candy Company in Disney Springs, the owner now has his shop set up in Old Town)

Disney's Character Warehouse (This is an official Disney outlet store. While the selection is a bit limited, the prices can be amazing compared to what you would pay in the parks. It is located in the Orlando Vineland Premium Outlets, not all that far from the Disney Springs area.)

Last edited:
As a companion to the thread here on the DIS, I also have a facebook group for August vacationers. Feel free to click on the link above, and come join us on facebook for more sharing, and planning.

Useful Links
Links to help you with your vacation. If you have a link that you would like to share, let me know.

Fast Pass and ADR reservation calculator (Super helpful for knowing exactly what day to make those all important ADR's and FP+ selections)

MouseSavers (Sign up for their free email newsletter, and get discounts on many Disney related goods and services, most notably theme park tickets through Undercover Tourist, and rooms at various resort hotels)

Touring Plans

All Ears Net

The Disney Food Blog

Walt Disney World Entertainment Guide

Orlando International Airport (A complete guide to Orlando International Airport)

Dining Reservation (ADR) Finder (Note: you must sign up for a free TouringPlans.com account)

Guide to hidden mickey's

The Magic in Pixels (A comprehensive website covering all things related to Disney theme park photography, including a message forum for photographers)

Missing Photopass Photos

Walt Disney World Lost and Found (In case you have lost something in one of the parks, resort hotels, or on the Disney transportation system. For items lost on Disney's Magical Express ONLY call (866) 599-0951)

Ultimate Disney World Photography Guide (Disney Tourist Blog's guide to photography in Disney World)

Last edited:

Awesome!!! I'm joining roll call as I've hit Disney withdrawal!
August 11-18 PORS (we got the free dining bounce back and upgraded to regular dining plan)
August 18-20 Beach Club or Poly ... still deciding!
Hahaha, you are quick . . . posted before I even finished setting the thread up lol. All good, you have been added to the Roll Call. Enjoy your 2020 planning :) I'm sure a few others will pop in shortly, after booking bouncebacks.

I'm in!!! Just got back from our trip yesterday and we booked a bounce back for next year. We will be at Beach Club from 8/15 - 8/23!! :teeth:

We were thinking of doing April next year but decided to save money and sweat it out in August with everyone again.

POP 8/22-8/29
those dates may shift a little but I will let you know if they do :)

I'm in!!! Just got back from our trip yesterday and we booked a bounce back for next year. We will be at Beach Club from 8/15 - 8/23!! :teeth:
We were thinking of doing April next year but decided to save money and sweat it out in August with everyone again.

POP 8/22-8/29
those dates may shift a little but I will let you know if they do :)

You have both been added to the Roll Call. Happy planning!

You can add us to the August crew again next year. Dates should be 8/16-26 TBD based on availability at the 7 month mark. We are hoping for BWV again.

I know there are only a few of you here but I will ask now and maybe again in a few months but since labor day is so late in 2020 (9/7) do you think the week of 8/29-9/5 will be less crowded than 8/22-8/29? And if so, how much? I know its tough to tell and essentially its still the last 2 weeks of "summer" just later than normal, but just curious on your guys thoughts.

I guess we will be back too! Booked bounceback at CSR tower for Aug 19-28 since we all LOVED free dining!

Still haven’t completely umpacked this trip yet though. DH asked me what we should do differently next year and my #1 top priority is to do the mobile food ordering. We did a PPO BOG breakfast and didn’t know how important pre ordering was as well as waited in a line at the counter in Pandora way too long!

I know there are only a few of you here but I will ask now and maybe again in a few months but since labor day is so late in 2020 (9/7) do you think the week of 8/29-9/5 will be less crowded than 8/22-8/29? And if so, how much? I know its tough to tell and essentially its still the last 2 weeks of "summer" just later than normal, but just curious on your guys thoughts.
I’m wondering. Usually our school goes back week before Labor Day so this year first day was aug 26. Looks like next year it won’t be until aug 31 so I’m thinking crowds will just be pushed back one week.

You can add us to the August crew again next year. Dates should be 8/16-26 TBD based on availability at the 7 month mark. We are hoping for BWV again.

You have been added to the Roll Call. Happy Planning :)

I would expect that the two weeks will be pretty similar in crowd levels.

I guess we will be back too! Booked bounceback at CSR tower for Aug 19-28 since we all LOVED free dining!

Still haven’t completely umpacked this trip yet though. DH asked me what we should do differently next year and my #1 top priority is to do the mobile food ordering. We did a PPO BOG breakfast and didn’t know how important pre ordering was as well as waited in a line at the counter in Pandora way too long!

You have been added to the Roll Call. Happy Planning.

Now, as for the mobile food ordering thing, well, let me share my experience at Cosmic Ray's with that this year. We ordered, we couldn't find a seat anywhere, even though we had 20 minutes between the time we checked in, and the time our food was actually ready for us to pick up, yes, 20 minutes. I don't think it would have taken us any longer to just stand in the line and order it. We ended up eating standing at a garbage can, with the tray balanced on top of it. Then, there were not one, but two mistakes in our order, so pretty much 1/3 of what we ordered came out wrong.

All in all, I guess what I am saying is that mobile ordering in no way is a guarantee that you won't spend a crazy amount of time waiting for your food, then waiting for them to give you the stuff you actually ordered.

Booked with FD Bounce back... August 1st-15th at Pop! Also have reservations for spring break. Plans might change as we do the math on different scenarios... we are APs and have many Marriott points. We loved our previous three August trips, heat and all! Only concern is that parks might be much busier at the start of the month... How are the crowds at the start of August compared to Spring Break?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!