Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

WOW! That is a fabulous Christmas cake! Now I'm tempted to add a second cake to our trip just to see what Yacht & Beach Club would come up with!

Yes! I was so excited/anxious to see what they would create. Part of me was worried they would just throw something together because of the late notice, but someone spent some time designing and creating this cake!!

The cake was delivered at Ale and Compass this morning! I reminded the hostess at the podium (walked ahead of my parents so I didn’t ruin the surprise) and she immediately knew who I was and said she would let our server know.

I was a little worried throughout breakfast because our server seemed veryyy frazzled. Her table beside us decided they were going to dine and dash when she told them their credit card had reached its limit. One of them went out the front entrance and the other out the side entrance. They were talking about power walking to Epcot and being “women on a mission.” When our server came back she bolted out the side exit and tried to catch them but couldn’t :sad2: Just can’t believe there are awful people out there like that.

Anyway the cake turned out beautiful!!! I absolutely loved what they created considering my specifications were pretty vague. It tasted just like Strawberry Shortcake and was so so yummy :lovestruc The mini cake was the perfect amount for 3 people. We had maybe a couple of bites leftover.

I was charged $96 for the cake as quoted beforehand. It was added to the total bill, so the suggested tip was based on breakfast + cake. I usually would redo the tip to not include the cake price, but felt bad for our server dealing with the dine and dashers, so left the extra tip on the cake. She seemed really upset about the people ditching :scared:

View attachment 368228View attachment 368230 View attachment 368231
Your Christmas cake is the cutest little cake I ever saw!

Hello, I'm hoping someone might have some advice on how to get help with my cake order. I posted a few weeks back of my experience with George at Contemporary for my daughter's Rapunzel cake for December 19th. I spoke with George on November 10th. We discussed a 6 inch cake with a 2D Rapunzel with a braid coming down, flowers in braid, lavender frosting. He said we could communicate through email and I could send him my ideas/pictures etc. I emailed him with pics and a summary of our discussion. His response on November 19 was "When is this for and what is your budget"? That is it. So I emailed him again stating the date and budget again, and another detailed email with pics and design ideas. A week went by and he emailed with " can I have your reservation number and how many people". I sent him the info and asked if he could provide feedback on the design aspects of the cake as it is getting closer. I am floored that he emailed me on Saturday with "what design are you thinking of" :scared1: I called the cake line again and left a message to speak to a manager but haven't heard back. Does anyone have a number I can call??

Quoting myself as I'd like to give a follow up of the outcome and let people know it has gotten better! I did receive a call from George last night and he apologized. He had not put my order in yet and admitted he has been inundated with last minute orders that needed his attention sooner than mine. He did, however, take the time to pull up my emails and pics while I was on the phone and we discussed all the details of the cake and I am satisfied that I will have a Rapunzel cake delivered to Chef Mickey's on my DD's bday. I will be happy to share pics here. The cake will be 6 inch with lavender buttercream, with a 2D Rapunzel on top of her sitting down brushing her hair. Her hair will continue from the 2d pic as piped frosting coming down the side and around the base of the cake with flowers in it. The cake will be pixie dusted and have a sun with the number 3 on it and say Happy Birthday Arabella. Price was $113. If I wanted fondant hair it would have added $30 but I went with the frosting. Can't wait for my DD to see it!

i have a question. Has anyone had a hard time getting in touch with someone to order a cake? I have been calling the Grand Floridian number for 3 days and have left a message and she hasn't gotten back in touch with me. I guess I can just keep trying.

i have a question. Has anyone had a hard time getting in touch with someone to order a cake? I have been calling the Grand Floridian number for 3 days and have left a message and she hasn't gotten back in touch with me. I guess I can just keep trying.

Call the main number for Grand Floridian Private Dining and ask. She may be on vacation: 1-407-824-2474

I wanted to report back about my experience ordering a custom cake. I called and left a message and surprisingly got a call back the same day. After that it was all through email. We ordered a speciality Stitch cake for Thanksgiving Day at Rose and Crown. I was quoted $120 but the cake came to a little under $100 when the receipt came. My daughter was super surprised. The cake was chocolate with strawberry mousse filling. She love the gum paste flowers and shells and the fact that it had fondant on it. (We watch a lot of food tv.) . We ate less than a 1/3 and took it back to the room. My husband got a locker to keep it in for the rest of the day. Honestly, it was not the best tasting cake I have ever had. However, I would do it again just for the surprise and specialness of the moment!

Attachments

• download-2.jpg
    download-2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 324
  • download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 310
I am trying to order a haunted mansion cake for my son's 14th birthday (his favorite ride). We will be staying at the Contemporary with dinner reservations at California Grill. Is there a way to get a haunted mansion "inspired" mini cake? When I originally spoke to George, he said no, but I see from reading some of you change the wording of the question and get the cake you want :)

He has quoted me $106 for a 6 inch, so I feel like I am not doing something correctly. I do not want an over the top cake, but a small simple cake.

Thanks!

Has anyone had any luck ordering a cake within a week of needing it? We have an 18-year-old birthday celebration Dec 15th. Originally we had a huge event planned, however, after a family emergency we recently had to cancel. In order to compensate for the change, I was able to book Ohana ( favorite restaurant) so that she could have some sense of a birthday. I would really like to book a custom cake. However, I have not had anyone call me back ( started calling Friday)

Please tell me I have a hop of getting a cake!!

I ordered a special cake for my daughter's 7th birthday. I followed the instructions on these boards and everything turned out great, so thank you everyone!

Details
  • Price - $38 plus tax (no discounts)
  • Date Received - 11/9/18
  • Location - Art of Animation Food Court
  • Cake info - Flavors, special requests, etc. I asked for a 6" with a characters on a roller coaster photo on it and sent over an example photo. I also asked for chocolate cake with "grey stuff" filling if possible, and asked it to say the text. She said they couldn't do the flavor exactly but could do oreo mousse (good enough for me!). When we got to the food court I asked for the manager, they brought the cake out, I asked for some candles and he brought those out, and then I asked how I was going to light them? He asked if I was doing it in the food court and I said yes, and he said "well then we're going to have some fun with this!" He asked me where we were sitting and shortly came over with a group of staff and he said happy birthday to my daughter and asked if he could have everyone sing. She said yes, so then he yelled to the entire food court that it was her seventh birthday and we had the entire dinner rush singing to her. It TOTALLY made her day special! Probably the best $40 I could have spent on her birthday :)
I also have to say that the cake was DELICIOUS. We had other cupcakes and things during the trip (even Amorette's) and that cake was way tastier. I was also impressed they added things in fondant (clouds, the happy birthday pink plaque) and little sparkly clouds. Note the hidden mickey cloud too.

0158267a6af541514f5ee8df9d4482c00fdda83eee.jpg

Overall, I was really impressed with the value given that its Disney. A special order cake, it was really very tasty, and only $38? I'd do this again in a heartbeat.

Has anyone had any luck ordering a cake within a week of needing it? We have an 18-year-old birthday celebration Dec 15th. Originally we had a huge event planned, however, after a family emergency we recently had to cancel. In order to compensate for the change, I was able to book Ohana ( favorite restaurant) so that she could have some sense of a birthday. I would really like to book a custom cake. However, I have not had anyone call me back ( started calling Friday)

Please tell me I have a hop of getting a cake!!

I booked a cake within a week for a trip a few years ago, delivered at AKL.

I would call the private dining number for GF (that’s who will make your cake for dinner at ohana). It might take a couple days to hear back with final confirmation, because the lead baker at GF works Tues-Sat. Be prepared: some of your ideas might not be possible in a shorter time frame. But you still have enough time to organize a nice celebration :)

I am trying to order a haunted mansion cake for my son's 14th birthday (his favorite ride). We will be staying at the Contemporary with dinner reservations at California Grill. Is there a way to get a haunted mansion "inspired" mini cake? When I originally spoke to George, he said no, but I see from reading some of you change the wording of the question and get the cake you want :)

He has quoted me $106 for a 6 inch, so I feel like I am not doing something correctly. I do not want an over the top cake, but a small simple cake.

Thanks!

In my experience, cakes are always more expensive when you name a specific ride or movie. The 6” cake you were quoted would likely have the wallpaper design, maybe a 2D image of the hitchhiking ghosts, etc. If you want something cheaper, ask for a more abstract design. For example, maybe a deep purple cake with black roses? If you do the work to think of something HM-inspired yourself, you can provide a bit of direction that will likely bring the price down.

One point to note: they can’t fit the wallpaper design on a mini cake. Or at least they haven’t been able to for the years I’ve read this thread.

PS: sorry, Lurkyloo, for answering so many questions. I’m channeling my excitement about an upcoming trip! hah

I booked a cake within a week for a trip a few years ago, delivered at AKL.

I would call the private dining number for GF (that’s who will make your cake for dinner at ohana). It might take a couple days to hear back with final confirmation, because the lead baker at GF works Tues-Sat. Be prepared: some of your ideas might not be possible in a shorter time frame. But you still have enough time to organize a nice celebration :)

Thank you! I called the Cake Hotline and selected the option for Ohana. But in the morning I will call the specific GF line! Your post gives me hope that I can still make this birthday special!! :yay::yay:

In my experience, cakes are always more expensive when you name a specific ride or movie. The 6” cake you were quoted would likely have the wallpaper design, maybe a 2D image of the hitchhiking ghosts, etc. If you want something cheaper, ask for a more abstract design. For example, maybe a deep purple cake with black roses? If you do the work to think of something HM-inspired yourself, you can provide a bit of direction that will likely bring the price down.

One point to note: they can’t fit the wallpaper design on a mini cake. Or at least they haven’t been able to for the years I’ve read this thread.

PS: sorry, Lurkyloo, for answering so many questions. I’m channeling my excitement about an upcoming trip! hah
I had a mini cake with haunted mansion wallpaper at Yachtmans so Y&BC were willing to do it 3 years ago.

Thanks!
This is slightly higher than what I paid for our haunted mansion cake back in Oct. ( mine was $89 ) Depending on the other options were requested in terms of flavor/filling it may be adding to the overall cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter