Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

So am I understanding correctly that I can’t have a custom 6 inch cake delivered to our room at AKL? I think 8 inches will be too big. Do you think if I ask I may get lucky?

So am I understanding correctly that I can’t have a custom 6 inch cake delivered to our room at AKL? I think 8 inches will be too big. Do you think if I ask I may get lucky?

It nevers hurts to ask. Supposedly they are not set up to do 6-inch cakes, but I got one there a few years back, so who knows...?

Hello, has anyone had any luck with getting Disney to put lights in their cake?

I just asked for pricing from BW for a cake with lights. It looks like a cottage on the outside and is super cute. But my girl on the phone taking the order seemed unsure.

Hello, has anyone had any luck with getting Disney to put lights in their cake?

I just asked for pricing from BW for a cake with lights. It looks like a cottage on the outside and is super cute. But my girl on the phone taking the order seemed unsure.

Both Epcot and Hollywood Studios have made me light-up cakes. It's really a question for the pastry chef, not the people who answer the phone. They aren't usually familiar with all the possibilities.

I just left a message for the Contemporary about a custom cake for December 20th. We are closing on our first home two days prior and I thought I would commemorate it with a special cake. Last minute, but we didn’t know we were going to close on a house this soon!

Not sure what to put on our “congratulations on your new home” cake. Any suggestions?...I might just leave it up the pastry chef.

I just left a message for the Contemporary about a custom cake for December 20th. We are closing on our first home two days prior and I thought I would commemorate it with a special cake. Last minute, but we didn’t know we were going to close on a house this soon!

Not sure what to put on our “congratulations on your new home” cake. Any suggestions?...I might just leave it up the pastry chef.

An UP house with balloons would be cute!

Here's an Up minicake someone got from the Contemporary a few years ago that you could use for inspiration:

Up%20Balloon%20Mini%20Cake_zps5oe0ux2g.jpg

And here's an 8-inch Up themed cake:

up_cake_gemologygal_zpst8nl3tbf.jpg

An UP house with balloons would be cute!

Here's an Up minicake someone got from the Contemporary a few years ago that you could use for inspiration:

Up%20Balloon%20Mini%20Cake_zps5oe0ux2g.jpg

And here's an 8-inch Up themed cake:

up_cake_gemologygal_zpst8nl3tbf.jpg

aww, I love seeing one of my old cakes show up as inspiration <3 I can't wait to see what kind of new home cake you celebrate with, morganms. And congratulations!

Thank you all for your help!! I ordered a Cake this morning for delivery at Dec 15th 7:50pm at Ohana. Pat answered as soon as I called and asked is it was possible to get a cake made for this Saturday. I said I wanted a 6" chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream. She stated since it is not wedding season, that she could not guarantee the peanut butter. However, she said she would ask. I settled for chocolate frosting. The cake will be covered with chocolate buttercream and then covered with yellow fondant. On top, there will be 2 Edible 3D twirling batons ( its her sport) on top of the cake with a nameplate that says Happy 18th Birthday. I was quoted $90 for this. Does this seem right for everyone?

She also stated that I would have to be charged in advanced since it is for Ohana and that I could not be charged with the meal.

Edit: Just noticed my card was charged for $95.85. is the extra gratuity?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help!! I ordered a Cake this morning for delivery at Dec 15th 7:50pm at Ohana. Pat answered as soon as I called and asked is it was possible to get a cake made for this Saturday. I said I wanted a 6" chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream. She stated since it is not wedding season, that she could not guarantee the peanut butter. However, she said she would ask. I settled for chocolate frosting. The cake will be covered with chocolate buttercream and then covered with yellow fondant. On top, there will be 2 Edible 3D twirling batons ( its her sport) on top of the cake with a nameplate that says Happy 18th Birthday. I was quoted $90 for this. Does this seem right for everyone?

She also stated that I would have to be charged in advanced since it is for Ohana and that I could not be charged with the meal.

Edit: Just noticed my card was charged for $95.85. is the extra gratuity?

I can't speak to whether that's a normal price or not, but the "extra" $5.85 is likely tax. 6.5% tax on $90= $5.85.

I think I read in this thread (or on one of the cake threads) that there were rules that governed which characters were allowed to be on the cakes? Does anyone know what that rule is off the top of their heads? Like you could only get the white chocolate figurines if you wanted certain characters present?

I think I read in this thread (or on one of the cake threads) that there were rules that governed which characters were allowed to be on the cakes? Does anyone know what that rule is off the top of their heads? Like you could only get the white chocolate figurines if you wanted certain characters present?

If only it were that simple! Are we talking about weddings with characters in attendance or just characters you want on a celebration cake?

If only it were that simple! Are we talking about weddings with characters in attendance or just characters you want on a celebration cake?

Celebration Cake! I could've sworn I read that you could only get the white chocolate figurines if you wanted certain characters on your cake but couldn't for the life of me remember which those would've been. I wanted to try and plan out a cake for our dinner at Coral Reef character wise. I just called the Epcot cake reservation line though and they said they could put a 2D image of the princesses which is what I was worried about but that's perfect so it all worked out ahaha

Just ordered a surprise 8-inch cake for Coral Reef for next Wednesday (12/20) for my niece's birthday. Pretty simple with just chocolate cake and chocolate buttercream filling with a white buttercream coating. I inquired about the Cookies and Cream Mousse but they didn't have that available. They said they could do a 2D image of the princesses since I wanted a princess theme but I left all other design elements up to them. I hope it'll be gorgeous like some of the ones I've seen in here! I was quoted $70 plus tax and gratuity which seemed relatively fair. It would've been $40 with some personalization (i.e. adding Happy Birthday, etc) but I added the 2D Image so that bumped it up to $70. It should be amazing though and I'm really looking forward to seeing my niece's little face when she realizes it's for her!

Also ordered a Mini cake to CBR for next week the day we arrive and I was quoted $40 for that one which I thought was a bit high for such a small cake but seems to be what's quoted often so was fine with it since the fun is in the surprise anyway.

I'll come back and post photos after!

Both Epcot and Hollywood Studios have made me light-up cakes. It's really a question for the pastry chef, not the people who answer the phone. They aren't usually familiar with all the possibilities.

Thank you for letting me know. Do you remember which restaurants you contacted (or which number)?
The phone answer-er checked with the baker and i just got my "no" from them (Boardwalk)

I also asked for Buffalo plaid and they said "no" to that, too.

Thank you for letting me know. Do you remember which restaurants you contacted (or which number)?
The phone answer-er checked with the baker and i just got my "no" from them (Boardwalk)

I also asked for Buffalo plaid and they said "no" to that, too.

Both of my light-up cakes were ordered for events, so my Disney Catered Events planner worked with the park pastry teams on my behalf. It's too bad BoardWalk Inn isn't willing to try this for you, but maybe the volume of cakes they do limits them. The Contemporary, the Yacht & Beach Club and the Grand Floridian are much more adventurous in their design possiblilities. Any chance you're staying or dining someplace serviced by one of them?

I ordered a special cake for my daughter's 7th birthday. I followed the instructions on these boards and everything turned out great, so thank you everyone!

Details
  • Price - $38 plus tax (no discounts)
  • Date Received - 11/9/18
  • Location - Art of Animation Food Court
  • Cake info - Flavors, special requests, etc. I asked for a 6" with a characters on a roller coaster photo on it and sent over an example photo. I also asked for chocolate cake with "grey stuff" filling if possible, and asked it to say the text. She said they couldn't do the flavor exactly but could do oreo mousse (good enough for me!). When we got to the food court I asked for the manager, they brought the cake out, I asked for some candles and he brought those out, and then I asked how I was going to light them? He asked if I was doing it in the food court and I said yes, and he said "well then we're going to have some fun with this!" He asked me where we were sitting and shortly came over with a group of staff and he said happy birthday to my daughter and asked if he could have everyone sing. She said yes, so then he yelled to the entire food court that it was her seventh birthday and we had the entire dinner rush singing to her. It TOTALLY made her day special! Probably the best $40 I could have spent on her birthday :)
I also have to say that the cake was DELICIOUS. We had other cupcakes and things during the trip (even Amorette's) and that cake was way tastier. I was also impressed they added things in fondant (clouds, the happy birthday pink plaque) and little sparkly clouds. Note the hidden mickey cloud too.

View attachment 369086

Overall, I was really impressed with the value given that its Disney. A special order cake, it was really very tasty, and only $38? I'd do this again in a heartbeat.

This is great, did you find the picture of Mickey on the ride online? I do not have a creative bone in my body. I am thinking this may work great for my cake order if this is the way to do it :)

T
In my experience, cakes are always more expensive when you name a specific ride or movie. The 6” cake you were quoted would likely have the wallpaper design, maybe a 2D image of the hitchhiking ghosts, etc. If you want something cheaper, ask for a more abstract design. For example, maybe a deep purple cake with black roses? If you do the work to think of something HM-inspired yourself, you can provide a bit of direction that will likely bring the price down.

One point to note: they can’t fit the wallpaper design on a mini cake. Or at least they haven’t been able to for the years I’ve read this thread.

PS: sorry, Lurkyloo, for answering so many questions. I’m channeling my excitement about an upcoming trip! hah

Thank you for the advice, now I just need to have a more creative person come up with an alternative to roses. I am not sure my 14 year old son would love flowers on his cake :)

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter