Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Our only dining is at Yak and Yeti, hence why we were opting for at the hotel, unfortunately. We are local area, so are staying one night, spending Saturday at AK and Sunday at Epcot checking out the F&G booths.

What about having it made by a favorite local bakery and bringing it with you? Not as surprising, but you'll be guaranteed to get what you want! Also, some local bakeries can even deliver to the Disney resorts.

What about having it made by a favorite local bakery and bringing it with you? Not as surprising, but you'll be guaranteed to get what you want! Also, some local bakeries can even deliver to the Disney resorts.
We might end up at that yet, but most recent email is that All Star/Boardwalk says they can't make any cake with any kind of garden/tree/plant theme in any size, and they are referring me to Y&B club, which the ASMu says they will send their receivers to pick up from Y&B! She gave me a number that is NOT the same number as listed for Y&B on page 1, and I've not been able to get anyone to answer on it. My concern now is that we're talking about for Saturday of this week, so we're getting awfully close in.

Just spoke with Y&B, they said they are unable to add any custom cake for Saturday at this time, also they are not able to produce a cake for ASMu to pick up ever. They suggested Amorette's, which will definitely not be what she is wanting.

Last edited:
Okay, so we ended up settling on marble 6 inch, vanilla buttercream filling/frosting, chocolate fondant, multi color flowers on top. I hope it turns out cute, this was the closest we could figure out to what she wanted that they would do.

OK, here's a mini wedding cake I got as a total joke (a mock wedding to Bradley Cooper) to make my friend laugh, but the experience of ordering through Epcot was instructive. It was very easy, all done via email after I left my address on the Epcot cake-ordering voicemail.

The Epcot Food & Beverage contact emailed me a bunch of sample cake photos, and I chose the most classic mini wedding cake design. I asked to have it done in my pal's favorite football team's colors, since this is a popular practice with wedding cakes. I asked about submitting photos for a screen print, but that wasn't possible. They didn't even have an image they could screen print of Rocket Raccoon. So instead I ordered edible images from Etsy and plunked them on the cake right as it was delivered to our table.

• When: March 1, 2019
  • Where: Rose & Crown
  • What: Two-tier mini wedding cake in Florida Gators colors
  • Flavors: Vanilla with vanilla buttercream
  • Price: $35

IMG_1021_zps5agf7pkr.jpg

I liked that Epcot took the initiative to cover the cake in edible glitter (you can't really see it though, and the colors don't look very Gators-ish in this shot, but they were in person!). The servers at Rose & Crown told us they'd been terribly confused by the inscription on this cake to be delivered to two ladies, but when I explained the gag they burst out laughing and started bringing over other servers to see the cake. In all, it was a reasonably priced way to add a bit of fun to our meal.

I thought you guys would enjoy seeing photos of all the display cakes at last weekend's Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Bridal Showcase!

Unfortunately, they only had full-size cakes this year—no mini cakes or cupcakes—and the themes were not very Disneyish. But there might still be some ideas here for you!

IMG_7510_zpspm3nkzyi.jpg

IMG_7311_zpso2qhffju.jpg

IMG_7423_zpsnveebjtb.jpg

IMG_1071_zpsryu3toww.jpg

IMG_7408_zpsivsg61ms.jpg

IMG_7406_zpsf73wkoad.jpg

IMG_7403_zpsbw6gr3a2.jpg

IMG_7405_zpsson6z40l.jpg

IMG_7402_zpsahy10scc.jpg

IMG_7399_zpsicmce4cn.jpg

IMG_7396_zps0yjk4teu.jpg

IMG_7398_zpslphmjapq.jpg

IMG_7392_zpsacrc1jxj.jpg

IMG_7395_zpsfqexd9ev.jpg

IMG_7401_zpspuqmonds.jpg

IMG_7318_zpsvghaecgl.jpg

IMG_7319_zpswkbyouqb.jpg

IMG_7341_zpsdayblbly.jpg

IMG_7343_zpsznuuegtj.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has done an alice in wonderland cake? And if so if they have any pictures? I've been trying to hunt through all of these cake feeds but there are so many, I thought it might be quicker to ask. I am trying to plan a mothers day cake for my mother in law while we are in Disney this May and she loves alice in wonderland.
Also, has anyone had a cake delivered to Tusker House? Any restrictions or issues having a cake delivered here?
Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

I was wondering if anyone has done an alice in wonderland cake? And if so if they have any pictures? I've been trying to hunt through all of these cake feeds but there are so many, I thought it might be quicker to ask. I am trying to plan a mothers day cake for my mother in law while we are in Disney this May and she loves alice in wonderland.
Also, has anyone had a cake delivered to Tusker House? Any restrictions or issues having a cake delivered here?

Yes, I did! Mine was done by Pat at Grand Floridian a few years ago. The quote was from the book and was fitting for my daughter's birthday!

Attachments

• Custom Cake at Disney World.jpg
    Custom Cake at Disney World.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 248
  • Having a Custom Cake at Disney World.jpg
    Having a Custom Cake at Disney World.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 243

Here’s one from a Disney Bridal Showcase!

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

And from a Disney wedding....

09565ABB-42A9-40E4-800D-6E401EA8457D_zps0qwdtbn8.jpeg

Oh my. I just called Yacht & Beach private dining to try and order 2 mini cakes for a Yachtsman ADR at the end of the month. The phone CM seemed a bit confused. She said they don't do mini cakes (not in the book?) and a 6-inch starts at $23. Doesn't seem very accurate. I will probably just call back later. Glad this isn't my first time ordering a cake!

OK, here's my latest cake from the Contemporary pastry team.

• When: March 3, 2019
  • Where: California Gill
  • Size: 6-inch
  • Flavors: Vanilla cake with chocolate chips + layered chocolate ganache and peanut butter buttercream frosting.
  • Price: 179 magical dollars :rolleyes:
I wanted to surprise my friend with a California-themed cake including a lot of references to the Monterey/Central Coast area where she used to live, like a rocky coast with Cypress trees, an otter and California poppies. This is the inspiration pic my husband drew for me:

IMG_0625_zpsvlkdtjvj.jpg

And these are the instructions I sent to the Contemporary's cake team in an email:

"Size: 6 inches
Cake Flavor: Vanilla with chocolate chips
Cake Filling: Layered chocolate ganache and peanut butter buttercream (not mousse)
Design: SEE ATTACHED PDF
  • Cover cake in turquoise fondant extending down over the cake board and trimmed to look like a pool of water surrounding cake
  • Jagged gray fondant rocks surrounding base of cake
  • 3-D green Cypress trees encircling sides of cake (frosting, fondant or....? No screen prints, please!)
  • Top covered with orange California poppies (made from sugar or fondant but not frosting).
  • Brown fondant sea otter floating on his back on the 'pool' of fondant on the cake board, holding a shell. Little ripples in fondant to indicate motion."

California%20Cake%20Inspiration_zpsnde9mfrt.jpg

Getting this cake made was like pulling teeth! Chef Brian is on some kind of hiatus, and the person I was working with couldn't or wouldn't understand what I wanted. First they said they couldn't sculpt an otter and that the only tree screen print they had was the Tree of Life (note that my PDF said "3-D trees" and my email instructions literally said "No screen prints" on the trees!).

Then, magically, the otter and piped trees were OK and I was quoted $119 for a 6-inch cake, but the only sugar poppies they had were the red-and-black Wizard of Oz kind. Which, of course, look nothing like orange California poppies. So I asked if they could paint the poppies orange. (A sort of reverse Queen of Hearts situation there!) Yes, but the centers would be black and it would cost $30. Could they paint the centers orange too? Yes, but now the cake would be $179.

This is what I got:

IMG_1277_zpsn4d6ilye.jpg

IMG_1279_zpstzsmjiqr.jpg

IMG_1278_zpssb5aeev6.jpg

IMG_1281_zps06chvxr3.jpg

IMG_1282_zpso33tknlc.jpg

IMG_1285_zps830ngaqe.jpg

IMG_1283_zpss8gnetpb.jpg

IMG_1287_zpsu6tgskut.jpg

I thought the otter was fabulous—very cute, and the detail on the shell was fantastic. The colors were nice and bright. The ripple of fondant extending over the cake board was exactly as I wanted it. And the cake was delicious! I was happy they'd used the peanut butter buttercream under the fondant too, instead of vanilla, and it tasted great.

I was a bit surprised that they'd casually tossed multicolored sprinkles around a cake that the requester clearly had a specific vision for based on her Type A instructions, but it didn't bug me too much.

Mostly, though I was shocked by how dinky my $179 cake was! Every other fancy fondant-covered cake I've had made—at the Contemporary and elsewhere—has been the tall, 4-layer kind. This was a stubby 2-layer cake like the ones you get at the grocery store. It threw off the proportions of the rocks and the trees too, so they didn't look as impressive as in inspiration image. I guess from now on I need to add "Four layers" to my rocket-schematic level of detail when I request a cake.

Fortunately, I happened to catch the Private Dining contact on a Saturday when we could have most of our 16-message correspondence over the course of one day, rather than several days or weeks. But considering that both my recent cake orders from the Yacht & Beach Club took one phone call apiece, required exactly zero begging/pleading, and turned out exactly how I wanted them, I don't think I'll be working with the Contemporary anytime soon if I can help it.

Oh my. I just called Yacht & Beach private dining to try and order 2 mini cakes for a Yachtsman ADR at the end of the month. The phone CM seemed a bit confused. She said they don't do mini cakes (not in the book?) and a 6-inch starts at $23. Doesn't seem very accurate. I will probably just call back later. Glad this isn't my first time ordering a cake!

Did you use the number in Post #2? That's the direct line for ordering cakes, but I did notice that sometimes the person who answered said I'd need to speak to another person who was on break. Maybe you got a fill-in answerer too!

Did you use the number in Post #2? That's the direct line for ordering cakes, but I did notice that sometimes the person who answered said I'd need to speak to another person who was on break. Maybe you got a fill-in answerer too!
Yes, 407-934-3105. When the CM picked up she just said private dining and I inquired if I had the right place to order a custom cake. She said yes and when she took down my information she said it was getting sent to the coordinator who would talk with the bakery. She also inquired multiple times if I would just prefer a Mickey dome cake. I am hoping this was a fill-in. lol

I got an e-mail just a few minutes ago from the coordinator (Nabile) and it looks like almost all the information I discussed on the phone was lost in translation. I wanted to order a Nick Wilde themed mini cake and a Belle themed mini cake for the same ADR and specified the flavors and fillings. The coordinator e-mailed me that I cannot mix characters on a two-tier cake and asked for cake size, flavor, and filling. :confused3

At least I now have a contact I can clearly e-mail my type A instructions to with images and specify that I wanted two different mini cakes with separate themes, flavors, and fillings :goodvibes

OK, here's my latest cake from the Contemporary pastry team.

• When: March 3, 2019
  • Where: California Gill
  • Size: 6-inch
  • Flavors: Vanilla cake with chocolate chips + layered chocolate ganache and peanut butter buttercream frosting.
  • Price: 179 magical dollars :rolleyes:
I wanted to surprise my friend with a California-themed cake including a lot of references to the Monterey/Central Coast area where she used to live, like a rocky coast with Cypress trees, an otter and California poppies. This is the inspiration pic my husband drew for me:

IMG_0625_zpsvlkdtjvj.jpg

And these are the instructions I sent to the Contemporary's cake team in an email:

"Size: 6 inches
Cake Flavor: Vanilla with chocolate chips
Cake Filling: Layered chocolate ganache and peanut butter buttercream (not mousse)
Design: SEE ATTACHED PDF
  • Cover cake in turquoise fondant extending down over the cake board and trimmed to look like a pool of water surrounding cake
  • Jagged gray fondant rocks surrounding base of cake
  • 3-D green Cypress trees encircling sides of cake (frosting, fondant or....? No screen prints, please!)
  • Top covered with orange California poppies (made from sugar or fondant but not frosting).
  • Brown fondant sea otter floating on his back on the 'pool' of fondant on the cake board, holding a shell. Little ripples in fondant to indicate motion."

California%20Cake%20Inspiration_zpsnde9mfrt.jpg

Getting this cake made was like pulling teeth! Chef Brian is on some kind of hiatus, and the person I was working with couldn't or wouldn't understand what I wanted. First they said they couldn't sculpt an otter and that the only tree screen print they had was the Tree of Life (note that my PDF said "3-D trees" and my email instructions literally said "No screen prints" on the trees!).

Then, magically, the otter and piped trees were OK and I was quoted $119 for a 6-inch cake, but the only sugar poppies they had were the red-and-black Wizard of Oz kind. Which, of course, look nothing like orange California poppies. So I asked if they could paint the poppies orange. (A sort of reverse Queen of Hearts situation there!) Yes, but the centers would be black and it would cost $30. Could they paint the centers orange too? Yes, but now the cake would be $179.

This is what I got:

IMG_1277_zpsn4d6ilye.jpg

IMG_1279_zpstzsmjiqr.jpg

IMG_1278_zpssb5aeev6.jpg

IMG_1281_zps06chvxr3.jpg

IMG_1282_zpso33tknlc.jpg

IMG_1285_zps830ngaqe.jpg

IMG_1283_zpss8gnetpb.jpg

IMG_1287_zpsu6tgskut.jpg

I thought the otter was fabulous—very cute, and the detail on the shell was fantastic. The colors were nice and bright. The ripple of fondant extending over the cake board was exactly as I wanted it. And the cake was delicious! I was happy they'd used the peanut butter buttercream under the fondant too, instead of vanilla, and it tasted great.

I was a bit surprised that they'd casually tossed multicolored sprinkles around a cake that the requester clearly had a specific vision for based on her Type A instructions, but it didn't bug me too much.

Mostly, though I was shocked by how dinky my $179 cake was! Every other fancy fondant-covered cake I've had made—at the Contemporary and elsewhere—has been the tall, 4-layer kind. This was a stubby 2-layer cake like the ones you get at the grocery store. It threw off the proportions of the rocks and the trees too, so they didn't look as impressive as in inspiration image. I guess from now on I need to add "Four layers" to my rocket-schematic level of detail when I request a cake.

Fortunately, I happened to catch the Private Dining contact on a Saturday when we could have most of our 16-message correspondence over the course of one day, rather than several days or weeks. But considering that both my recent cake orders from the Yacht & Beach Club took one phone call apiece, required exactly zero begging/pleading, and turned out exactly how I wanted them, I don't think I'll be working with the Contemporary anytime soon if I can help it.
Crazy that you got the runaround, but that otter clutching a shell really is adorable! I also love the seamless water pouring down from the cake!

Your husband is really good at drawing. I think it is a very cute cake, but I agree it's expensive even for Disney prices for two layers. I really wish we didn't have to beg, plead, offer a body part to get what we wanted. I want to do another cake this year. I think it is fun and a great memory, but I'm not sure if it is worth the added frustration and stress.

Just started the process of ordering cake #3 at WDW. We are staying at Copper Creek on our trip but I opted to go with AKL as we have dinner reservations at Jiko for DH's birthday and I was happy with the cake we got there last time.

I got an email contact right away and sent pictures of what I am looking for - a Jack Skellington cake. I'm now waiting to see if it can be done and if so, cost. I will report back on how it goes.

Last week I ordered a Stitch themed mini cake for delivery to Ohana from Pat at Grand Floridian in April. She was very friendly and helpful and the process was easy. She asked for my credit card and said I would be charge right away and the charge would appear from 1900 Park Fare. I just checked and I have been charged. From other posts I've seen on this thread, everything I've read said they will ask for a credit card but the charge would actually come on the meal bill. This is fine by me - just wondered if this is now what's happening. I'd hate to get to the restaurant and have the charge appear on my bill and have to prove that I've already paid. I think I will print my credit card statement and bring it in case.

Last week I ordered a Stitched themed mini cake for delivery to Ohana from Pat at Grand Floridian in April. She was very friendly and helpful and the process was easy. She asked for my credit card and said I would be charge right away and the charge would appear from 1900 Park Fare. I just checked and I have been charged. From other posts I've seen on this thread, everything I've read said they will ask for a credit card but the charge would actually come on the meal bill. This is fine by me - just wondered if this is now what's happening. I'd hate to get to the restaurant and have the charge appear on my bill and have to prove that I've already paid. I think I will print my credit card statement and bring it in case.
The last time I ordered a cake from GF to be delivered to Poly, I was charged almost immediately. When I ordered a cake from GF to be delivered to a restaurant at GF, I was charged at the time of our meal.

Aaah thank you so much @lurkyloo ! I knew you would be the best resource for what options I can go forward with from here. I may look in to It's Tasty Too, and if they are too pricey or can't achieve my vision then I will circle back to Disney and see if they are able to just make me the flower pot. I've already found a cute Groot figurine to put on top so that could definitely work if I can get them to cooperate! Thanks again, I'm feeling better :)

So I posted a while back about trying to get a Baby Groot inspired flower pot cake for my mom for her birthday in April. Long story short, I had no such luck with Contemporary resort/The woman at WL where I was hoping to get the cake delivered. They said they couldn't do a flower pot cake which honestly I was very shocked by, as it seemed like such a simple request once I removed the actual Baby Groot character issue.
I decided I had one last shot which was to call the GF and see if I could convince them to make it and let me either pick it up or get it delivered to WL for an added fee. Let me just say the woman who does the cake orders there (I believe her name is Pat?) is SO WONDERFUL. She pulled through for me and got special permission to make my cake and allow me to pick it up. She repeated over and over how sorry she was for the terrible experience I had with WL/Contempo cake lines. I'm SO excited my mom will get her perfect cake for her birthday next month! I will be sure to post pictures when we get it.

Additionally, we are staying at YC this weekend for our 1 year anniversary, and my husband and I are getting a mini-replica of our entire cake made. I will be sure to post pics on Saturday after it is delivered to our dinner reservation! :jumping1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter