Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I've been scanning all of these posts/pages and haven't seen anything so thought I'd toss it out there:

My daughters' birthdays are 2.5 weeks apart, and our visit in late April falls smack between their birthdays so am thinking about getting them a cake to surprise them. Has anyone seen a "split" cake done where it's two different designs? e.g. one half is Moana and the other is Inside Out? Just as an example. (I don't even know if they do Inside Out cakes...) Or seen any fun ways to have a cake to celebrate two different birthdays?

thanks!
I believe I was denied an inside out cake when I tried in 2018. But that was for a California grill delivery not sure if another bakery will.

Last edited:
Longtime lurker first time poster! Doing it specifically for this board!

So in a few months, not until May, I'm heading on a trip with my cousin and her daughter, who will be turning 8. She's also the oldest of six, so cousin and I have decided to make this birthday trip extra special for her. (She doesn't get a lot of things that are just hers and she's a wonderful kid!)

I want to surprise the birthday girl and her mom both with a cake but I'm going back and forth about whether to do it at a meal or in room. We're staying at POR and I haven't seen many posts about getting cakes there. I know I'd be working with Boardwalk.

I'd be hoping to do a mini cake, as we're only three! Birthday girl is a big Descendants fan, so maybe leaning that way as for theme. Would love any suggestions!

Longtime lurker first time poster! Doing it specifically for this board!

So in a few months, not until May, I'm heading on a trip with my cousin and her daughter, who will be turning 8. She's also the oldest of six, so cousin and I have decided to make this birthday trip extra special for her. (She doesn't get a lot of things that are just hers and she's a wonderful kid!)

I want to surprise the birthday girl and her mom both with a cake but I'm going back and forth about whether to do it at a meal or in room. We're staying at POR and I haven't seen many posts about getting cakes there. I know I'd be working with Boardwalk.

I'd be hoping to do a mini cake, as we're only three! Birthday girl is a big Descendants fan, so maybe leaning that way as for theme. Would love any suggestions!

Right now the easiest pastry team to work with is Yacht & Beach Club, so if you're dining at any of the restaurants there, that'd be your best bet. Next easiest is the Grand Floridian, which delivers to all the restaurants at the GF (except Victoria & Albert's) and the Polynesian. They're stricter on flavors, though. Having to work through POR could end up being kind of a drag, if you can avoid it!

Ordered years ago for DD 9th birthday, and heading back soon for her 16th.

Tried scrolling through all the pages, looked on pinterest, etc. , but am looking for pics of the following themes:

1. Anything french inspired - maybe with Minnie, macarons, etc.
2. Anything themed with the four parks, with or without monorail
3. Anything themed with the mickey head balloons

Thanks for any pics that anyone has to share.

This is a cake we got at Disneyland, but I thought you might be interested to see the differences....

For one thing, Disneyland has started offering pre-designed cakes in specific themes, including ones we can't get at Walt Disney World, like Star Wars. However, they are only available three places—Carthay Circle Restaurant, Blue Bayou and Napa Rose—and they cannot be delivered to your room. I have complete details in Post #1 of this thread, but here are the available themes:
  • Mickey
  • Minnie
  • Star Wars
  • Princess
  • Frozen
  • Ariel
  • Cars
  • Haunted Mansion

In classic Disney fashion, they don't actually have any photos of these themes to show you when you email to place an order. So here's what Disneyland's Star Wars Cake looks like:

Star%20Wars%20Dland%203_zps0itumsas.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Dland%207_zpsjk4faarn.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Dland%202_zpsxu4fgpbo.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Dland%205_zpss9c02nib.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Dland%204_zpspmzlangh.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Dland%201_zpsazf9eygv.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Dland%206_zps3dbqyslj.jpg

• Price: $65
  • Size: 6-inch
  • Theme: Star Wars
  • Flavor: Churro (Cinnamon sponge with cinnamon churro filling)
You guys, this cake tasted AWFUL! Disneyland uses Chantilly buttercream instead of the traditional buttercream that WDW uses, but I don't think that accounts for the waxy texture and complete lack of flavor. The cake itself barely tasted like cinnamon or churros or whatever, and the filling was equally flavorless. I have never, ever thrown out leftover cake without at least taking one last bite, but this time I did!

About the only bright spot was that Napa Rose served it to us with free scoops of ice cream, so that's something! But we are SO lucky that Walt Disney World cakes taste as good as they do!

This is a cake we got at Disneyland, but I thought you might be interested to see the differences....

For one thing, Disneyland has started offering pre-designed cakes in specific themes, including ones we can't get at Walt Disney World, like Star Wars. However, they are only available three places—Carthay Circle Restaurant, Blue Bayou and Napa Rose—and they cannot be delivered to your room. I have complete details in Post #1 of this thread, but here are the available themes:
  • Mickey
  • Minnie
  • Star Wars
  • Princess
  • Frozen
  • Ariel
  • Cars
  • Haunted Mansion

In classic Disney fashion, they don't actually have any photos of these themes to show you when you email to place an order. So here's what Disneyland's Star Wars Cake looks like:

You guys, this cake tasted AWFUL! Disneyland uses Chantilly buttercream instead of the traditional buttercream that WDW uses, but I don't think that accounts for the waxy texture and complete lack of flavor. The cake itself barely tasted like cinnamon or churros or whatever, and the filling was equally flavorless. I have never, ever thrown out leftover cake without at least taking one last bite, but this time I did!

About the only bright spot was that Napa Rose served it to us with free scoops of ice cream, so that's something! But we are SO lucky that Walt Disney World cakes taste as good as they do!
WOW! This looks great and seems reasonably priced, but taste is a dealbreaker! Thanks for sharing!!

• Mickey
  • Minnie
  • Star Wars
  • Princess
  • Frozen
  • Ariel
  • Cars
  • Haunted Mansion

OMG this makes me so Sad I'm a big proponent of a cake must taste AND look good.

Last edited:
@lurkyloo when I call the Saratoga Springs number you have listed here it says “you have reached the desk of Kelly O’Reilly” is that who I’m looking for there? I didn’t want to leave a message if I was calling a wrong number lol

@lurkyloo when I call the Saratoga Springs number you have listed here it says “you have reached the desk of Kelly O’Reilly” is that who I’m looking for there? I didn’t want to leave a message if I was calling a wrong number lol

Yep! That's still the right number. You end up getting her voicemail when you wade through the Cake Hotline's voicemail prompts too!

OK, you guys HAVE to see this Ratatouille cake! I got permission from the fellow who posted it in the Disney Foodies Facebook group to post it here, and he provided all the details too!

• Where: Victoria & Albert's
  • When: January 2018
  • What: 6-inch cake
  • Flavors: Angel food with espresso mousse
  • Price: $300
Apparently a lot of the decor was rice crispies covered in fondant. Remy looks like he might've started as the standard white chocolate figure they offer and then been modified...

Ratatouille%20Cake%201_zpsk2mpjacl.jpg

Ratatouille%20Cake%202_zpsrvzhtsat.jpg

Ratatouille%20Cake%203_zpsvn36ygya.jpg

Just left a message for Pat at The Grand Floridian Private Dining. Getting ready to order my mini 2 tier Alice in Wonderland 'We Are All Mad Here" cake for our Ohana dinner reservation on arrival day 2/24. So excited! And also nervous, our last cake order at Ohana never showed up and it was a bit of a let down. Hoping this go smoother this trip!

Here are screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200121-235244_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200121-235244_Samsung Internet.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_20200121-235240_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200121-235240_Samsung Internet.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 174
Right now the easiest pastry team to work with is Yacht & Beach Club, so if you're dining at any of the restaurants there, that'd be your best bet. Next easiest is the Grand Floridian, which delivers to all the restaurants at the GF (except Victoria & Albert's) and the Polynesian. They're stricter on flavors, though. Having to work through POR could end up being kind of a drag, if you can avoid it!

Thanks! We are probably doing 1900 Park so I might do it for that night. I appreciate the help!

I've been scanning all of these posts/pages and haven't seen anything so thought I'd toss it out there:

My daughters' birthdays are 2.5 weeks apart, and our visit in late April falls smack between their birthdays so am thinking about getting them a cake to surprise them. Has anyone seen a "split" cake done where it's two different designs? e.g. one half is Moana and the other is Inside Out? Just as an example. (I don't even know if they do Inside Out cakes...) Or seen any fun ways to have a cake to celebrate two different birthdays?

thanks!

I was thinking of doing the same thing. My kids' birthdays are a day apart and fall on our trip. This will be their 3rd birthday trip at WDW (nice that their birthdays are always on Spring Break!) but I have never ordered a cake. They all look so yummy!!!

Hey y’all - I just wanted to report that I spoke to Kelly at SSR who confirmed they get their cakes from Boardwalk Bakery and cannot accommodate peanut / treenut allergies. She referred to Erin McKennas as an allergy bakery, but they are not safe for peanut / treenut either (they are vegan and gluten free only) so I’m out of luck with my 40th birthday cake dream. Thanks to all especially lurkyloo for the info and for being here. I’ll look on with cake envy forevermore lol!

Hey y’all - I just wanted to report that I spoke to Kelly at SSR who confirmed they get their cakes from Boardwalk Bakery and cannot accommodate peanut / treenut allergies. She referred to Erin McKennas as an allergy bakery, but they are not safe for peanut / treenut either (they are vegan and gluten free only) so I’m out of luck with my 40th birthday cake dream.

That is such a shame! You might try this company—they're over in Clearwater, FL but it says they ship nationwide: https://www.halelifebakery.com/custom-cakes They also deliver baked goods to a place in Winter Park (Soho Juice Co. ), so maybe there's a way they could send a custom cake over too and you could pick it up (if shipping's too pricey).

I ordered two cakes for my fiancé’s birthday: a Donald themed mini two tier cake to be delivered at the BoardWalk Villas that was chocolate cake, vanilla mousse, and chocolate buttercream ($35 before tax/gratuity/delivery fee) and then an 8” round Star Wars themed chocolate cake for delivery at Le Cellier with chocolate mousse and vanilla buttercream ($70 before tax/gratuity). Both were delicious! The Star Wars cake not only had the Millennium Falcon as requested but also a small white chocolate Han Solo in carbonite and white chocolate Boba Fett on the side of the cake.

Attachments

• 11732009-A5A3-4201-BA4C-CF9B9579A4BC.jpeg
    11732009-A5A3-4201-BA4C-CF9B9579A4BC.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 310
  • D20CB272-3474-491A-99A9-133CC722A018.jpeg
    D20CB272-3474-491A-99A9-133CC722A018.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 306
  • A794756C-537D-48F1-9E1D-D57FE88BA55E.jpeg
    A794756C-537D-48F1-9E1D-D57FE88BA55E.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 277
Hi All, I just wanted to post about my recent experience ordering a special cake for my niece's upcoming 15th birthday. Dinner will be at Topolino's Terrace at the new Riviera Resort so I ordered through the Yacht & Beach Club Private Dining line. I phoned and spoke with Karina on Wednesday afternoon and talked about what I wanted. She asked whether or not I had any pictures of what I had in mind and if I could email them to her along with all the information for what I wanted. My niece and I have an emotional affinity for the Wishes fireworks show and my hope was for a cake theme that would represent that. Jiminy Cricket 2d image on Blue fondant with piped fireworks design, 2d stars on top and a white chocolate piece with inscription, "Make a wish and do as dreamers do." 6 inch cake preferred, chocolate cake layers, cookies and cream filling and chocolate buttercream crumb coat. She responded immediately to the email letting me know she had received it and that she had already forwarded it to the baker for a quote. Next day, Thursday, received a quote back confirming everything and priced at $89. After emailing that I would like to proceed, I called and gave my credit card info and confirmed everything verbally. Cake will be charged at bakery and not on the restaurant tab. So easy and efficient, very impressed with the Y&B Clubs handling of this special event. Now, I have not had a bad experience before and both Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge have provided cakes themed and decorated as requested, however this order experience was exceptional.

I am attaching an image of last years Haunted Mansion theme from Artist Point that I realized I never posted.IMG_1188.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!