Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I have seen a few cakes made by the GF bakery but was wondering if anyone has had luck ordering a moana themed cake from the contemporary bakery? Will I have a hard time getting them to make one similar to what the gf bakery made? Tia
I just got my custom cake order put in at Contemporary for a Stitch Themed cake and that is polynesian style. I attached a sample. I am going to add a Stitch figurine as a topper. So i think a Moana cake would be possible. Call this number and you should be able to get some answers... 407-824-2955. I have been in contact with them thru this number and email... wdw.contemporary.cake.order@disney.com

And they confirmed that they can do a 6 inch custom cake with the design I wanted. Good luck! :-)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170914-081627.png
    Screenshot_20170914-081627.png
    454.5 KB · Views: 315
My original cake order was thru por and boardwalk and I was told they can do a custom cake at 8" so whoever told you 10 is the smallest is mistaken...though i wasnalso told by this person that contemporary resort doesnt make custom cakes and they do.

If I were you I would call guest services and voice your concern regarding all this misinformation. I truly cant imagine having to do all this without the help from disboards, disneybabble, and touringplans.

We ordered a custom cake from Boardwalk in January and that was an adventure! They did insist for quite some time that 8" was the smallest (so interesting that they now say 10".) I really insisted that the CM ask the baker and they agreed to a 6". Given all the mixed messages from various bakeries, I didn't order a cake when we stayed at AKL last month.

We'll need a birthday cake again next January and I have an ADR at the Wave so that we can order through Contemporary. They don't necessarily agree to every request, but they do seem more flexible than others and it always turns out well. I feel like they at least try to work with me and make suggestions. I also love that Donald and Brian respond via e-mail so we can work out all those details before I call to place the order.

Celebrating my son's 3rd birthday while at WDW. We'll be at Trail's End buffet so I just wanted a mini, tiered cake for him. After dinner we're headed to Chip & Dale's campfire so we wanted a Chip & Dale theme. I emailed Donald at the Contemporary telling him what I was looking for. He emailed back the next day. I called and got the machine to place my order, left a message and someone finally called me back 5 days later.

I ordered a chocolate cake with cookies and cream filling. He is going to decorate it in fall coloring with a 2d image of Chip & Dale standing next to the cake. He quoted me $50.

Will post pics when I return.

Thought I would share an update to my attempt to get a custom cake for DD birthday dinner at Tusker House. After calls weren't returned on Fri or Mon I called again today and surprisingly Jill answered instead of the machine. She indicated the normal person who handles this is out on maternity leave (I didn't mention the two previous calls). So she referred me to Cinnamon who was covering. I told Cinnamon I was looking for a custom cake. First she informed me that the buffet already had desserts (no joke) and then she immediately went into the script on the Mickey Dome cake they offer.

I told her I was aware of those but looking for a custom cake. She said they will only do a 8"(or larger) round cake with a screen print. The only customization option they could do was a stand up figure for an additional $30. I explained that we had received a real custom cake last summer and it was a huge hit. I asked if I could send an email with what I had in mind to see if it was possible, but she said no email was available. After some persistent questioning by me she agreed to at least check with the Bakery Captain and see if there was an email she could give out.

So at this point who knows. It really seems strange to me that a company striving to find every opportunity for up-selling is discouraging this option so much. I repeated several times that price wasn't my concern. Last year the cake was roughly $100 and would gladly spend that again for how special it was. And if that isn't enough to be profitable why not just increase the price. Then it's on me if the experience is really worth it.

Wanted to follow-up to this earlier post. I did get a call back from Cinamon yesterday who apologized that she had to unexpectedly be out of the office last week. She was very helpful and said that she had talked to the chef. She gave me her email to send ideas I had in mind for a POC cake and she would forward on to the chef for a quote. I sent her a pic of the Peter Pan cake that was in here, as it seemed that could easily be re-themed:). Also found a Jack Sparrow cake online with a cool map theme printed on the cake itself. Will be very excited to see what the final product looks like!!

I have a preliminary email written out to send to the Contemporary. Do you think fewer details are better for this first contact? I keep going back and forth. Right now, I have the time and place of our ADR, desired size, basic theme (Goofy), flavors and writing.

I have a preliminary email written out to send to the Contemporary. Do you think fewer details are better for this first contact? I keep going back and forth. Right now, I have the time and place of our ADR, desired size, basic theme (Goofy), flavors and writing.

I just wrote them & included all the details, just like you listed, but kept it short & sweet. It made it easier for when I called to place the order later on as they already had all of the details marked up on our order. The person on the phone just read it back to me to make sure they were all correct. Much easier than in the past when I had to tell the phone CM every detail.

Does anyone know what hours Yacht & Beach Club dining will deliver a cake to your room? I would like it to be there our first night after we return from dinner, maybe after 8:00 pm.

I just wrote them & included all the details, just like you listed, but kept it short & sweet. It made it easier for when I called to place the order later on as they already had all of the details marked up on our order. The person on the phone just read it back to me to make sure they were all correct. Much easier than in the past when I had to tell the phone CM every detail.

Thanks!

I got a call back from Pat today at GF. I first called Tuesday left a message and hadn't received a call back so I called again today and left another message. She called right around 8pm and explained that she always calls back but it can take 4 days. Okay. Anyway.

I explained that we wanted a cake inspired by our Disney wedding cake. She tried to tell me I should get a 6" with a screen printed up house with balloons. She quoted $65 for that. I told her we really wanted the balloons piped on the cake and she told me the screen printed image on top would look better. And that doing what we wanted would raise our price to $135 since now it needs to be a taller cake and with fondant. Okay that's fine. Still 6" I believe.

She was looking at a picture of our actual cake. She said they can't pipe the balloons up the side I said that's fine pipe them on top we really want them piped on not just a screen printed image. I just hope that she gives the description (and possibly the picture of our actual cake) to the pastry chef who can work his or her magic. For $135 it better be amazing! I have faith she just didn't make me feel very confident.

Oh and she told me since we got married at Disney, it's no problem for us to have lemon cake with raspberry mousse (which was one of the flavors of our actual wedding cake). She made it very clear that it was a special exception though. I had been worried about that from reading on here.

So we'll see! October 13 which is our first anniversary we have dinner at Narcoossee's at 8:30pm and god willing, we'll be getting a beautiful cake reminiscent of our wedding cake.

Attachments

• IMG_6116.JPG
    IMG_6116.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 257
I got a call back from Pat today at GF. I first called Tuesday left a message and hadn't received a call back so I called again today and left another message. She called right around 8pm and explained that she always calls back but it can take 4 days. Okay. Anyway.

I explained that we wanted a cake inspired by our Disney wedding cake. She tried to tell me I should get a 6" with a screen printed up house with balloons. She quoted $65 for that. I told her we really wanted the balloons piped on the cake and she told me the screen printed image on top would look better. And that doing what we wanted would raise our price to $135 since now it needs to be a taller cake and with fondant. Okay that's fine. Still 6" I believe.

She was looking at a picture of our actual cake. She said they can't pipe the balloons up the side I said that's fine pipe them on top we really want them piped on not just a screen printed image. I just hope that she gives the description (and possibly the picture of our actual cake) to the pastry chef who can work his or her magic. For $135 it better be amazing! I have faith she just didn't make me feel very confident.

Oh and she told me since we got married at Disney, it's no problem for us to have lemon cake with raspberry mousse (which was one of the flavors of our actual wedding cake). She made it very clear that it was a special exception though. I had been worried about that from reading on here.

So we'll see! October 13 which is our first anniversary we have dinner at Narcoossee's at 8:30pm and god willing, we'll be getting a beautiful cake reminiscent of our wedding cake.
That is such a nice cake. I really hope they can do it for you. Maybe you can get in touch with the chef directly. I had trouble getting what I wanted thru POR. But when I changed to Contemporary, everyone there was great! I am crossing my fingers...for both of us! Oct. 13 is our arrival day for our first trip to Disney. So excited! Happy Anniversary to you guys as well! :-)

Has anyone ever seen or had a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Cake at Disney? I know I've seen a Splash Mountain one but couldn't find any with a BTMRR theme.

Trying to come up with something different for my 9 year old. He's also a huge Star Wars fan, but I know they are limited with what they can do there.

Okay, so I'm going to start posting a lot most likely because I booked a trip, it's coming up in just over a month, it's my 40th birthday trip (a little belated) and we're celebrating my son turning 9 and well, cake is just about the most important part of birthdays and Disney trips so lots of cake thoughts are running through my head. Trip details: It's just me and my 9 year old son, 4 days staying at Pop Century. One day in each park but AK won't be a full day since we return to the airport at 5. Planning on 1 TS meal in each park and maybe 1 additional non-park meal.

Here's some options I'm considering.....

A) One custom birthday cake for me and one for him at the same restaurant/meal.

B) Cake for me at restaurant of my choice and separate cake for him at special meal/restaurant geared more towards him

C) One cake for the both of us at every TS meal for the trip - would come out to 4 or 5 cakes

D) Surprise cake at the hotel up on arrival and skip restaurant cakes just to avoid having to cart the leftovers back to the hotel

E) Order cake for one meal or hotel and then cupcakes for the rest (never had the cupcakes are they actually good?)

Any other options I'm missing? I have to say the poster who had a cake just about every day on her trip earlier this year made me crazy jealous. I did just turn 40 so it's a big one and I've had a really crappy year so this trip is very much needed. My hesitancy with cake every day is maybe missing out on some good desserts, the first day is still food and wine, and I don't want to remove the chance of any special pixie dust for my son. And yes it would be a little wasteful. But the up side is he'll have a special dessert each meal when he's often limited to just ice cream because of his allergies.

Sorry I just need to bounce this off my fellow Disney cake people. My husband doesn't want to hear anything about this trip at all and no one else gets it, lol.

TIA!

Heather

Okay, so I'm going to start posting a lot most likely because I booked a trip, it's coming up in just over a month, it's my 40th birthday trip (a little belated) and we're celebrating my son turning 9 and well, cake is just about the most important part of birthdays and Disney trips so lots of cake thoughts are running through my head. Trip details: It's just me and my 9 year old son, 4 days staying at Pop Century. One day in each park but AK won't be a full day since we return to the airport at 5. Planning on 1 TS meal in each park and maybe 1 additional non-park meal.

Here's some options I'm considering.....

A) One custom birthday cake for me and one for him at the same restaurant/meal.

B) Cake for me at restaurant of my choice and separate cake for him at special meal/restaurant geared more towards him

C) One cake for the both of us at every TS meal for the trip - would come out to 4 or 5 cakes

D) Surprise cake at the hotel up on arrival and skip restaurant cakes just to avoid having to cart the leftovers back to the hotel

E) Order cake for one meal or hotel and then cupcakes for the rest (never had the cupcakes are they actually good?)

Any other options I'm missing? I have to say the poster who had a cake just about every day on her trip earlier this year made me crazy jealous. I did just turn 40 so it's a big one and I've had a really crappy year so this trip is very much needed. My hesitancy with cake every day is maybe missing out on some good desserts, the first day is still food and wine, and I don't want to remove the chance of any special pixie dust for my son. And yes it would be a little wasteful. But the up side is he'll have a special dessert each meal when he's often limited to just ice cream because of his allergies.

Sorry I just need to bounce this off my fellow Disney cake people. My husband doesn't want to hear anything about this trip at all and no one else gets it, lol.

TIA!

Heather
I saw that you can order custom 2 tier personal mini cakes....i think they serve 2 to 3...or 1 depending on your appetite! If you do a cake a day, maybe do 1 personal for each of you on your special day and then do a shared cake on the other days? I I have heard of a bakery at MK, I think, that does GF and allergen free desserts as well. We have not been to wdw yet...going in 2 weeks!! But I heard the chefs do a great job working with allergies...not sure about desserts but I am sure there is more than just icecream. Here is a link from a few pages back of someone ordering a mini cake. Good luck! Keep us posted. I would love to hear how your daily cake experience goes! :-)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-iv-2012-2016.3261922/page-185

I saw that you can order custom 2 tier personal mini cakes....i think they serve 2 to 3...or 1 depending on your appetite! If you do a cake a day, maybe do 1 personal for each of you on your special day and then do a shared cake on the other days? I I have heard of a bakery at MK, I think, that does GF and allergen free desserts as well. We have not been to wdw yet...going in 2 weeks!! But I heard the chefs do a great job working with allergies...not sure about desserts but I am sure there is more than just icecream. Here is a link from a few pages back of someone ordering a mini cake. Good luck! Keep us posted. I would love to hear how your daily cake experience goes! :-)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-iv-2012-2016.3261922/page-185

Thanks! I'm considering the 2 tiered minis, but they are a little more limited in design and can cost more than the 6 inch cakes sometimes.

Unfortunately, for my little guy he is actually fine with the majority of baked dessert ingredients (wheat, egg, dairy, soy, etc.) but he's trace reactive to oats, rice, and tapioca. So gluten free is generally out and most restaurants basically assume just about anything can be contaminated with oats so they never recommend any of the desserts on the buffets. It's a shame.

The chef at Crystal palace once made him a batch of chocolate chip cookies though. He was so awesome. When he called to discuss his allergies he asked me what he liked to eat at home and I said chocolate chip cookies so he agreed to make some. Then at the meal he brought them out and bagged up the entire rest of the batch for him to take with us that night during the Christmas party. It was really incredible. He remembers it well too and despite having been many times since (this was 4 years ago) when I asked him if he had any place special he wanted to eat he asked me where he had those chocolate chip cookies and said he wants to go there. It was such a special treat for him.

Have an awesome time on your trip! There is really nothing else like Disney.

Well, I am not happy. After agreeing to a little mermaid themed mini cake, the girl I was dealing with via email went silent. I haven't heard back from her since last Sunday, despite me emilaing her twice. Never got confirmation of the order nor did she take my credit card number. I called again first thing this morning and left a voicemail but I am completely paranoid that i won't be getting a custom cake come Sunday morning. Am considering driving over to the boardwalk bakery tomorrow to talk to someone. This is so frustrating. I am just waiting to be told now that the order was never officially placed and now it is too late.

Well, I am not happy. After agreeing to a little mermaid themed mini cake, the girl I was dealing with via email went silent. I haven't heard back from her since last Sunday, despite me emilaing her twice. Never got confirmation of the order nor did she take my credit card number. I called again first thing this morning and left a voicemail but I am completely paranoid that i won't be getting a custom cake come Sunday morning. Am considering driving over to the boardwalk bakery tomorrow to talk to someone. This is so frustrating. I am just waiting to be told now that the order was never officially placed and now it is too late.
I would walk down there or call guest services and see what they can do. I hope you get your cake. When I ordered mine from CR, they were very good at following up. But they also explained that the cake would be added to the dinner tab and that I didnt need to pay ahead. So hopefully that is what ia happening with you.

Call boardwalk in private dining at:
407-939-5175. Tell them that you've been working with the pastry team on a cake for delivery to the Tratoria and you need to confirm all of the details. If she placed the order, they will be able to find it.

There are no confirmation numbers for cake orders, and they don't usually charge you until you receive the cake.

I will do that if I don't hear back by 10 this morning. It's not that I was expecting a confirmation number, I got no response at all when i emailed back agreeing to the mini cake and asking for it to be chocolate, what the plate should say etc.

Holy crap on a cracker. Private dining said no evidence that order was ever placed. I kept my cool but was obviously very unhappy. She asked what we were looking for, I told her two tier mini cake with little.mermaid theming. She said she will make it happen, and at no cost to me! I said that wasn't necessary and she insisted that the it wasn't right that this caused me such stress and they are happy to do it. Wow.

Holy crap on a cracker. Private dining said no evidence that order was ever placed. I kept my cool but was obviously very unhappy. She asked what we were looking for, I told her two tier mini cake with little.mermaid theming. She said she will make it happen, and at no cost to me! I said that wasn't necessary and she insisted that the it wasn't right that this caused me such stress and they are happy to do it. Wow.

That's awesome. Stinks you had to get so frustrated with the process but glad they are making things right. Enjoy and please share pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!