Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Maybe someone can help me with this. Looking to order a cake from the Grand Floridian team for dinner at Ohana on my wife's Birthday. Her favorite classic character is Daisy Duck, movie is Brave and ride It's a Small World. I've looked at every post since 2015 in the cake thread and haven't seen many options. Ideally it would be a 6" cake since it will be just the 3 of us but I'd be willing to move up to an 8" if that were my only option. I appreciate any help!

Well I spoke with Pat today and ordered a 6" Brave cake. Chocolate cake with cookies and cream mousse. Buttercream frosting with chocolate ganache poured over it and chocolate curls. They're adding a 2d pic of Merida and the 3 brothers as bears and a bulls eye and arrow. Having a hard time visualizing it but she was great and I trust her judgement. I'll be sure to post pics when we get it.

Well I spoke with Pat today and ordered a 6" Brave cake. Chocolate cake with cookies and cream mousse. Buttercream frosting with chocolate ganache poured over it and chocolate curls. They're adding a 2d pic of Merida and the 3 brothers as bears and a bulls eye and arrow. Having a hard time visualizing it but she was great and I trust her judgement. I'll be sure to post pics when we get it.

Did you know what you wanted beforehand, or was it more along the lines of “I’d like a Brave cake” and she helped you figure it out?

Did you know what you wanted beforehand, or was it more along the lines of “I’d like a Brave cake” and she helped you figure it out?

I knew the theme I wanted, one of Daisy Duck, Brave or It's a Small World. Unfortunately I couldn't find a lot of options online so I called Pat at the Grand Floridian and she helped me with the design. She thought the Ganache and curls would be different and cool so I went with it. How bad could it be? Think I have a sugar high just thinking about it :-)

Decided last minute to order a custom cake for my son’s bday Wednesday. I emailed yesterday using the contemporary cakes email and called the cake line as well. When I didn’t hear back today, I got a little nervous so I called the contemporary directly and asked for private dining. I spoke to Morgan, who gave me Terry’s email address. I sent ideas and inspiration pics to Terry and she called me back within 30 minutes to finalize everything! I am getting a pirate themed 8 inch cake with chocolate buttercream, treasure chest and pirate Mickey and was quoted $106. Will post pics after we get it!

I called the WL phone number Saturday at 1030am and left a message, around 330 I received a call back from Carol. She asked me what I was looking for and the cake/filling flavor I wanted and where I wanted it delivered. I was explaining everything to her and she sounded very confused, she didn't know what cookies and cream filling was. She then asked me to email the contemporary bakery because "they will know what I am asking for". I did that immediately after our phone call but haven't heard back yet.
Was I not supposed to call the WL phone number to have a caked delivered to our room at Copper Creek?

So, our next trip isn't until 2019. However, I will be doing to cake for my nephew's first visit. We haven't decided on the resort but will they do a resort theme cake, I haven't ever seen one but if someone has done one could you post pictures. If not i will choose something else.

I called the WL phone number Saturday at 1030am and left a message, around 330 I received a call back from Carol. She asked me what I was looking for and the cake/filling flavor I wanted and where I wanted it delivered. I was explaining everything to her and she sounded very confused, she didn't know what cookies and cream filling was. She then asked me to email the contemporary bakery because "they will know what I am asking for". I did that immediately after our phone call but haven't heard back yet.
Was I not supposed to call the WL phone number to have a caked delivered to our room at Copper Creek?

You did it exactly right! This is the totally ridiculous method Disney has in place for ordering specialty cakes for Wilderness Lodge, unfortunately.

Hi. I ordered a cake through the Contemporary for my daughter's birthday next week - I spoke to a cast member on the phone. Should I follow-up with an e-mail a couple of days before our dinner to ensure they have my order?

Thanks!

Hi. I ordered a cake through the Contemporary for my daughter's birthday next week - I spoke to a cast member on the phone. Should I follow-up with an e-mail a couple of days before our dinner to ensure they have my order?

Thanks!

Always! But you need to phone Private Dining at the Contemporary to reconfirm everything. The email address is just for working out the design.

should I call the Contemporary also?? I still haven't heard back

At one time the pastry chef had Mondays and Tuesdays off, so that might be why you haven't heard back. But it never hurts to call. I'd just let them know you got the go-ahead from Wilderness Lodge and want to start working with a pastry chef on the design.

what types of discount worked for a custom Disney cake? I was told by George at Contemporary that there is no discounts on cakes?!
After reading through this thread of Dis'ers who got varies types of discounts (TIW & Disney Visa) I am confused!!
Please help.

what types of discount worked for a custom Disney cake? I was told by George at Contemporary that there is no discounts on cakes?!
After reading through this thread of Dis'ers who got varies types of discounts (TIW & Disney Visa) I am confused!!
Please help.
If you’re having it delivered to a restaurant and paying for the cake at the time of the meal any discount you can apply to your meal you can apply to your cake. TIW, DVC, Disney visa, AP

on the Cake Gallery thread, so many of the photos have been removed because of "third party" nonsense. I can't seem to find a really good pic of a Lion King or animal-themed cake. I'll be at Animal Kingdom Lodge in June. I also would like fondant animals, if possible.

Does anyone have a good Lion King cake pic?

TIA!

on the Cake Gallery thread, so many of the photos have been removed because of "third party" nonsense. I can't seem to find a really good pic of a Lion King or animal-themed cake. I'll be at Animal Kingdom Lodge in June. I also would like fondant animals, if possible.

Does anyone have a good Lion King cake pic?

TIA!

Here's one I posted a few years back. It's not Lion King-themed, but it does have fondant animals...

Size: 6-inch cake

Flavors: Red velvet cake with cream cheese mousse filling, not the cream cheese buttercream frosting I'd requested.

Price: Quoted $65 ($35 for 6-inch cake + $30 for fondant decorations), charged $23 :confused3

Inspiration Photos:
I found this cake online and asked to have a modified version as a 6-inch. I found a separate cake to get inspiration for the hippo on top...

HaywardJikoCakeIdea.jpg

How It Turned Out:
The cake looked a lot better than I was expecting, considering it seemed to have been hastily assembled by assistants while the pastry chef was out. They didn't use a contrasting color for the leaves like in the original photo, and the pond was a little rough around the edges (literally!), but the hippo was adorable and really well-made. It was a surprise for my husband, and he thought it looked great!

(Sorry these photos aren't better—new camera!)

ltuntitledgt208.jpg

ltuntitledgt212.jpg

ltuntitledgt204.jpg

ltuntitledgt207.jpg

ltuntitledgt203.jpg

ltuntitledgt209.jpg

ltuntitledgt215.jpg

The only thing I was really disappointed about was the use of cream cheese mousse filling instead of cream cheese buttercream frosting, which I had made a big deal about twice: once when I placed the order, and again when they confirmed it. I think they just assumed I meant "filling" instead of "frosting" because it's what they use in most of their cakes, but I really really dislike Disney's cream cheese mousse filling, which is way too cheesecake-y for my taste.

For some reason, when we got the bill for dinner, the cake was listed at only $23, maybe because they felt bad about losing the order or because it had been created by assistants instead of the pastry chef...?

At any rate, I would still order a fancy cake at AKL again now that they seem to have progressed beyond the supermarket level of cake-making—I guess I just need to be even MORE specific in the future! :rotfl:

If you’re having it delivered to a restaurant and paying for the cake at the time of the meal any discount you can apply to your meal you can apply to your cake. TIW, DVC, Disney visa, AP
Thank you for the clarification. I am having the cake delivered to our villa; hence, no discounts....oh well

My Woody themed birthday cake was ordered from the Contemporary for a dinner at California Grill.

I e-mailed with Donald and Brian about the design, and placed the order about 3 weeks prior to the actual reservation. I worked with George over the phone who I had previously worked with on a cake for my mom.

The cake itself was a 6-inch vanilla cake with raspberry mousse filling (no fruit) and chocolate buttercream icing. It was covered in fondant and had some hand-painted decorations. The price was $89.

The cake was fresh and delicious as usual!

IMG_2234low.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!