Official Dopey 2018 Thread

We booked flights this weekend. Southwest was unusually expensive this year and they had shifted the times that they fly. We wound up on Delta.

Also not loving how the weekend butts up against the holidays. I'm waiting until we know for sure if we're going down Tuesday or Wednesday before booking.

We booked flights this weekend. Southwest was unusually expensive this year and they had shifted the times that they fly. We wound up on Delta.

Southwest prices started out okay, but shot up over the course of the first day they were available. I tried to book at $150 one-way, but the price changed while I was selecting, and I ended up at $180. Then within a few more hours, the price ended up at $208 (one way from Indianapolis!), where it has stayed ever since. It's just a really busy overlap of holiday and marathon weekend!

Southwest prices started out okay, but shot up over the course of the first day they were available. I tried to book at $150 one-way, but the price changed while I was selecting, and I ended up at $180. Then within a few more hours, the price ended up at $208 (one way from Indianapolis!), where it has stayed ever since. It's just a really busy overlap of holiday and marathon weekend!

I kept checking from Philly to MCO. It started at $125 the first day it opened, then it went quickly to $134 then $151. It dropped back to $134 and then back to $125 right now. The flights later in the day were slower to go up, and now have fallen back to $117. It's the early day flights that are still a bit more expensive.

I keep checking in case the flight I selected is cheaper than $125, I can call and get a fare credit for the difference. The fare credit is good for one year.

I kept checking from Philly to MCO. It started at $125 the first day it opened, then it went quickly to $134 then $151. It dropped back to $134 and then back to $125 right now. The flights later in the day were slower to go up, and now have fallen back to $117. It's the early day flights that are still a bit more expensive.

I keep checking in case the flight I selected is cheaper than $125, I can call and get a fare credit for the difference. The fare credit is good for one year.

I'm checking daily! I'm hoping for some of that sweet, sweet system credit before our return dates open up.

We're all booked because I panicked in case the flights we needed get booked up as it is the NY break. It was quite expensive given the exchange rates. I'm planning on sticking to GMT until after the races because a 3am start will be more like 8am to me.

We have our flights out but not our flights home. Waiting until July 4th weekend to book when I officially get the next tier of status on United. id rather get 7 miles per dollar instead of 2. We used miles to book our flights out since they were $600 flights per person due to us leaving 12/23 for WDW. (18 days in florida. Ha ha omgwtf?!)

Husband and I were talking and we think we may spring for first class on the way home for me since it's a long time to sit. Yippie!!

So for many of us out 180 +10 dining window will open in the coming weeks.

I am keen to hear from the Dopey veterans in this group about what your approach to dining bookings is in the lead up to and during Dopey.

I have to say, the thing that I screw up every time with runDisney races is breakfast! I think it was at Avengers one year that I was done with the race and back in my room and realised I had a three hour wait for my breakfast reservation. Reallllly got that one wrong!

I am keen to hear from the Dopey veterans in this group about what your approach to dining bookings is in the lead up to and during Dopey.

I have to say, the thing that I screw up every time with runDisney races is breakfast! I think it was at Avengers one year that I was done with the race and back in my room and realised I had a three hour wait for my breakfast reservation. Reallllly got that one wrong!

Yeah, My presumption is that on 5k and 10k day, we'll all get done way before any ADRs are possible. I'm thinking even the corral Z and having balloons hitting your face will still get those people done before 7 on both days.

For those days, I'll be looking for a QS restaurant that's open before the races (some of them will) and find something to eat there. I'm not thinking of booking a TS breakfast on Expo, 5k, or 10k day. Even marathon day, getting done by 12 noon for the slow people? Eep!

I'm also not looking at any ADRs after like 5, maybe 5:30 at the absolute latest. I want to get into bed by like 6:30-7.

We book dinner most nights (Wed/Thu at 7, Fri/Sat at 6, Sun at 730, Tue at 630) and breakfast the morning after the half. Everything else is flexible.

Yeah, My presumption is that on 5k and 10k day, we'll all get done way before any ADRs are possible. I'm thinking even the corral Z and having balloons hitting your face will still get those people done before 7 on both days.

For those days, I'll be looking for a QS restaurant that's open before the races (some of them will) and find something to eat there. I'm not thinking of booking a TS breakfast on Expo, 5k, or 10k day. Even marathon day, getting done by 12 noon for the slow people? Eep!

I'm also not looking at any ADRs after like 5, maybe 5:30 at the absolute latest. I want to get into bed by like 6:30-7.

We book dinner most nights (Wed/Thu at 7, Fri/Sat at 6, Sun at 730, Tue at 630) and breakfast the morning after the half. Everything else is flexible.

I remember Jeff Galloway telling me at the expo a few years back to do a 2-3pm lunch the day before races, but it is a real struggle on a day when you've been up since 3am to pace out the meals to meet this!

I remember Jeff Galloway telling me at the expo a few years back to do a 2-3pm lunch the day before races, but it is a real struggle on a day when you've been up since 3am to pace out the meals to meet this!

The most important meal before the full is breakfast on Saturday. Eating lots of pancakes or other good high carb foods will help you fuel up for the race. You can then have a light dinner so you don't wake up feeling bloated on Sunday.

The most important meal before the full is breakfast on Saturday. Eating lots of pancakes or other good high carb foods will help you fuel up for the race. You can then have a light dinner so you don't wake up feeling bloated on Sunday.

Interesting - now I'm going to change my itinerary to include this. May be doing Cape May Cafe or eating the breakfast in the race retreat tent if I go that route. This is very valuable info.

Please share any additional fuel/food info because now I need to rethink my reservations because it's all so new.

Interesting - now I'm going to change my itinerary to include this. May be doing Cape May Cafe or eating the breakfast in the race retreat tent if I go that route. This is very valuable info.

Please share any additional fuel/food info because now I need to rethink my reservations because it's all so new.

I had set up Saturday as a non-park day, just to keep my girl's energy up for Sunday. I'm thinking that I'll try to keep her in the race tent after the 1/2, and that would be our lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!