Official Dopey 2018 Thread

If you're going to use a garbage bag, please discard them safely. Throw them on a fence or drop them into a trash bin, but whatever you do, don't drop them in the road. They're nearly impossible to see in the dark and create a serious tripping and safety hazard for everyone coming along behind you. I have friends who have been injured less than a mile into the race by getting their feet caught in a bag on the road, and it pretty much ruined their weekend.

There are multiple bins around every corral and it's not difficult to tie or attach them to a railing if you can't find one. It always seems weird to me that people are preparing to run 3.1, 6.2, 13.1, or 26.2 miles but are concerned with taking an extra ten steps to the side of their corral to properly dispose of items.

Yes, my feet were frozen blocks of ice while waiting in the corral for the marathon to start! And I was lucky that my long sleeved shirt I had brought worked for my Daisy Duck outfit. I'm just not sure if I want to plan 4 outfits that way this year. Or I just need to work with the clothes I have. But then every costume would have to be pink or purple. :)

a pair of socks that go higher up my ankles

This! I had a gap between my leggings and the top of my socks and that and my face were the only parts of me not covered up and I was freezing!

If you're going to use a garbage bag, please discard them safely. Throw them on a fence or drop them into a trash bin, but whatever you do, don't drop them in the road. They're nearly impossible to see in the dark and create a serious tripping and safety hazard for everyone coming along behind you. I have friends who have been injured less than a mile into the race by getting their feet caught in a bag on the road, and it pretty much ruined their weekend.

I don't understand that. I don't think I could run in a garbage bag. In my last couple minutes in the corral I usually drop my throw away clothes and Garbage bags, adn take a gu and throw it's packaging away. I try and get all my bin usage down in one fell swoop.

There are multiple bins around every corral and it's not difficult to tie or attach them to a railing if you can't find one. It always seems weird to me that people are preparing to run 3.1, 6.2, 13.1, or 26.2 miles but are concerned with taking an extra ten steps to the side of their corral to properly dispose of items.

I think some people may struggle to get to the sides of the corrals if they are in the front of one of the corrals. I see a lot of people trying to throw stuff right before the race and it almost never seems to make it to the side of the course or the bins.

I haven't been at too many races where it's been dark and people have used garbage bags so this is something I will definitely be on the lookout for.

Yes, my feet were frozen blocks of ice while waiting in the corral for the marathon to start! And I was lucky that my long sleeved shirt I had brought worked for my Daisy Duck outfit. I'm just not sure if I want to plan 4 outfits that way this year. Or I just need to work with the clothes I have. But then every costume would have to be pink or purple. :)
This is pretty much my end result with outfit planning. I probably won't because I have so many other things to do but that will mean most of my race clothes will be blue (instead of pink) and purple.

Yes, my feet were frozen blocks of ice while waiting in the corral for the marathon to start!
I had stuck those little heat packs into my shoes before getting out of my car upon arrival, and they were great! Right up until I had to take them out before starting, because no way could I run with them in there. Taking my warm toes out of my warm shoes into the frigid wind SUCKED! But I'd absolutely do it again. :thumbsup2

This! I had a gap between my leggings and the top of my socks and that and my face were the only parts of me not covered up and I was freezing!
Yes, same here! Lesson learned. ::yes::

Corral placement question, just finished a half in 1:58:16 and am running Dopey. Anyone have a guess as to what corral that might put me in?

Corral placement question, just finished a half in 1:58:16 and am running Dopey. Anyone have a guess as to what corral that might put me in?

Punching that time into a couple of the online calculators, that would put you at about 4:06-4:08 for your marathon. From the 2016 corral assignments, for the 5k and 10k, that should put you in corral B (out of F), and in the 1/2 and full, that's corral E (out of P). If you were running just the half marathon, you would be in corral D.

Now, Disney does shift the cutoff times dependent on reported times from all the runners. From the 2016 data, you had a couple minutes to spare in E for the longer races, and would've been in C if you ran just the half. For the 2017 data, you're right on the line for E, and the 1/2 only was a slip in corral.

As runners registering for the Disney Marathon get better, the cut offs get tighter. In 2016, reporting a marathon of 5:32 was good enough for Corral I. In 2017, that same time was only good enough for Corral L, an entire 3 corrals back.

Last edited:

McMillan estimates this as a 4:08:54 marathon and puts you on the cusp of E and F based on this year's corrals (E was < 4:08). I would be select a projected finish time slightly better than 4:08 (4:05 maybe? I can't remember what the options are) and hope for E!

I've now started the most important part of Dopey...planning my outfits.
So far I have 2 of the 4. It's my first time taking part in a Disney race so I'm going to go to hell with the costumes :)
I actually joined a group (found on Facebook) who are doing 101 dalmatians. Every one of us are wearing dalmatian themed outfit and 1 as Cruella
Got me a Mickey Tux (tuxedo sublimated running shirt) with the red shorts, ears and gloves

now to find 2 more :)

So far I have 2 of the 4. It's my first time taking part in a Disney race so I'm going to go to hell with the costumes :)
I actually joined a group (found on Facebook) who are doing 101 dalmatians. Every one of us are wearing dalmatian themed outfit and 1 as Cruella
Got me a Mickey Tux (tuxedo sublimated running shirt) with the red shorts, ears and gloves

now to find 2 more :)
Word of caution/advice about costumes. Do a training run in your costume to make sure it's comfortable.
I've seen many costume parts on the side of the road during races.

Word of caution/advice about costumes. Do a training run in your costume to make sure it's comfortable.
I've seen many costume parts on the side of the road during races.
Oh I know, and plan to.
My "costumes" are designed tech shirts with accessories. I'm not going crazy with additions that's for sure. Hell, I am not a fan of running belts, let along something potentially bulky and cumbersome.

No costumes for me this time...the weather is just too dicey and unpredictable! But I love seeing all of the creative ideas you awesome people have!

Anyone else doing Hal Higdon training plan for Dopey? It officially starts next week, but with a long run on week 1 of 13 miles, so I have been building up to that for the past several weeks. It really is overwhelming to look at all the miles yet to go, I keep having to remind myself that I've done this before and I can do it again!

Oh I know, and plan to.
My "costumes" are designed tech shirts with accessories. I'm not going crazy with additions that's for sure.

Me too, though I have just got some plain technical running tops which I am customising myself. I've got a tutu for the 10k and a tennis skirt for the half but other than that its all made up of running gear with bits of ribbon or patches sewn on.

That will look amazing!

No costumes for me this time...the weather is just too dicey and unpredictable! But I love seeing all of the creative ideas you awesome people have!

Anyone else doing Hal Higdon training plan for Dopey? It officially starts next week, but with a long run on week 1 of 13 miles, so I have been building up to that for the past several weeks. It really is overwhelming to look at all the miles yet to go, I keep having to remind myself that I've done this before and I can do it again!
I was following the Galloway plan, but I ended up in a walking boot which sidetracked me for a couple weeks. Finally got it off this week so I'm going to be on ease back for the next little bit to make sure everything is good to go. Sucks too as I was up to 8-10 mile runs before I went down.

McMillan estimates this as a 4:08:54 marathon and puts you on the cusp of E and F based on this year's corrals (E was < 4:08). I would be select a projected finish time slightly better than 4:08 (4:05 maybe? I can't remember what the options are) and hope for E!

Question that is slightly related? My DD27 will not be able to get a new POT due to work and finances so she is using her time from the marathon this year, which was 5:32:10. I selected 5:40 for her, thinking I had to pick one that was longer? If I select 5:30 and they check her marathon POT will they throw it out and put her in one of the last corrals (like they threaten to)?

Question that is slightly related? My DD27 will not be able to get a new POT due to work and finances so she is using her time from the marathon this year, which was 5:32:10. I selected 5:40 for her, thinking I had to pick one that was longer? If I select 5:30 and they check her marathon POT will they throw it out and put her in one of the last corrals (like they threaten to)?

I doubt they would put her in one of the last corrals for rounding down by 2 minutes. Usually the last corrals are for those that don't submit a time at all. If she has a half time (or a 10 miler time) she could use that too.

Hey so @Keels and I discussed this a bit on various threads last week because I'm in the same range. It was determined that if you are in the 5:30 range you should probably select 5:30 since it's closer to 5:30 than 5:40 especially and is a totally reasonable time estimate that would not get thrown out. What it might do however is put her in the back of the 5:30 range because last year TrackShack placed all runners with a PoT < 5:30 after runners who put in 5:30 as an estimate with no PoT. So she may be put behind runners who didn't submit a PoT because she isn't at exactly a 5:30 but she is definitely in the range BUT 5:30 is the time she should probably estimate.

Two questions. First, is it worth getting the Memory Maker/Photo Pass for the Dopey? Do they take a lot of pictures on the course? Do you think it is crazy to spend much time in the parks over race week/weekend for someone doing the Dopey? My family and I are going to WDW in April and I am trying to decide whether it is worthwhile to get an annual pass. Getting Memory Maker for both trips would be $340, parking for the 4 days on on April trip is $80, savings with AP discount would likely be another $100. That adds to $520 with an out of state AP costing $780. I already have non-expiring tickets for the April trip but could easily use them another time since we go every year.

Two questions. First, is it worth getting the Memory Maker/Photo Pass for the Dopey? Do they take a lot of pictures on the course? Do you think it is crazy to spend much time in the parks over race week/weekend for someone doing the Dopey? My family and I are going to WDW in April and I am trying to decide whether it is worthwhile to get an annual pass. Getting Memory Maker for both trips would be $340, parking for the 4 days on on April trip is $80, savings with AP discount would likely be another $100. That adds to $520 with an out of state AP costing $780. I already have non-expiring tickets for the April trip but could easily use them another time since we go every year.
I would say yes. They take a great amount of photos and I wouldn't hesitate getting it again this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!