***Official Jan 2018 Thread****

End of Jan/early Feb seems like a great time to go. I see many of you going then.

I'm doing a 3 day solo trip in Sept. So thinking if I can get one of those "bounce-back" deals I may go back then.

We are booked for POR from Jan 27- Feb 3. I was hoping we might be able to afford WL when the discounts came out, but when I looked today, it said all of the standard rooms at WL are sold out for my dates. Is there a chance they may open back up once the discounts are released? I know there are a lot less standard rooms since they added more DVC rooms... Feeling like I maybe should have booked it instead of POR, but I didn't want to get my hopes up in case things did not work out financially.

Well, after saying after our trip last year (first week of December 2016) that we weren't going back this year due to our kids' behavior we ended up booking for January yesturday. I guess technically it's not this year so we weren't quite lying. We usually go Oct/Nov so not sure what to expect weather-wise, hopefully it won't be too cold! We already had family booked and they kept asking us to go with them, finally got my husband to cave :) I was actually pretty surprised I was able to grab a dinner Aksushus and Biergarten, lunch at BOG and even got a late-morning appointment at Bippity Boppity Boutique!

1/27 - 2/3 - Beach Club

Well, after saying after our trip last year (first week of December 2016) that we weren't going back this year due to our kids' behavior we ended up booking for January yesturday. I guess technically it's not this year so we weren't quite lying. We usually go Oct/Nov so not sure what to expect weather-wise, hopefully it won't be too cold! We already had family booked and they kept asking us to go with them, finally got my husband to cave :) I was actually pretty surprised I was able to grab a dinner Aksushus and Biergarten, lunch at BOG and even got a late-morning appointment at Bippity Boppity Boutique!

Love it, technically you have stood by your word :thumbsup2 and you still get a fab trip a win/win in the parenting stakes as far as I'm concern,

So glad you managed to get all your ADRs and a BBB; I hope you have a fantastic trip and I have added you to the Roll Call.

Currently getting a surge for end of Jan people - which is when I'm going :banana:so hopefully I'll get to say Hi :wave: to a few of you!

Well, since I just booked our condo, I guess it's official! After three trips with my daughter, mom, and family, my husband is finally going! :banana: We went to Disney, just the two of us, many years ago and he is so excited to go with our daughter, who will be four by then, and who is already a Disney addict! What was supposed to be a one time trip when my husband was working crazy hours turned into several over the last couple years. Oops :blush:

It will be just our little family - myself, my husband, and our daughter. We're staying in a Windsor Hills condo (like we've done for the past two trips) and driving from Virginia! We will be there 1/27 to 2/4 :love:

Well, since I just booked our condo, I guess it's official! After three trips with my daughter, mom, and family, my husband is finally going! :banana: We went to Disney, just the two of us, many years ago and he is so excited to go with our daughter, who will be four by then, and who is already a Disney addict! What was supposed to be a one time trip when my husband was working crazy hours turned into several over the last couple years. Oops :blush:

It will be just our little family - myself, my husband, and our daughter. We're staying in a Windsor Hills condo (like we've done for the past two trips) and driving from Virginia! We will be there 1/27 to 2/4 :love:

Congrats on booking your trip :yay: and by the sound of it looks like your in for an amazing family adventure.

My son is going to be 4 on our January trip, It's so magically seeing it through their eyes.

Enjoy you family time :thumbsup2

Congrats on booking your trip :yay: and by the sound of it looks like your in for an amazing family adventure.

My son is going to be 4 on our January trip, It's so magically seeing it through their eyes.

Enjoy you family time :thumbsup2

Thank you! I'm very excited - my daughter is going to be so excited to "show" her daddy everything! lol

Is anyone doing anything new for their January trip? I think we're going to try to have my daughter see the fireworks this time, with the earlier closing time :) We also have a reservation for the Trattoria al Forno breakfast. I've never actually planned a Disney trip more than 6 months in advance, so I could actually make 180 day dining ressies this time, lol.

Is anyone doing anything new for their January trip? I think we're going to try to have my daughter see the fireworks this time, with the earlier closing time :) We also have a reservation for the Trattoria al Forno breakfast.

Our DD will be 6 come January and requested we eat at Trattoria al Forno for breakfast as well. It will be a new place for us.

Thank you! I'm very excited - my daughter is going to be so excited to "show" her daddy everything! lol

Is anyone doing anything new for their January trip? I think we're going to try to have my daughter see the fireworks this time, with the earlier closing time :) We also have a reservation for the Trattoria al Forno breakfast. I've never actually planned a Disney trip more than 6 months in advance, so I could actually make 180 day dining ressies this time, lol.
This is our first trip as a family to the World, so everything will be new to us. We went to Disneyland 2 years ago, and I am using 2 strategies that worked well then - starting our trip off with a character meal in the hotel and then start the next day with a character meal in the park before the park opens. That way our little one knows where we are, and gets into the Disney groove faster.

Just realized we are going on MLK weekend. ugh what was i thinking?!

on another note, the hours are super low.
in 2016 MK closed at midnight. 2017 MK closed at 10 pm. this Jan MK closes at 8 pm?! not only on a Sat but on a holiday weekend, doesn't make sense.

Just realized we are going on MLK weekend. ugh what was i thinking?!

on another note, the hours are super low.
in 2016 MK closed at midnight. 2017 MK closed at 10 pm. this Jan MK closes at 8 pm?! not only on a Sat but on a holiday weekend, doesn't make sense.

Disney no longer likes to keep us informed of the "real" hours till about a month out...I know its very annoying but look for an update sometime in December. That 8pm close will not stay for that weekend.

I cannot decide where to stay! We wanted to try and do this trip on a budget, so I am thinking value resort, but we LOVE POR! Do you know if discount offers for January will be released or did I miss those already?

I saw in your signature that you take your vacations in January. We are doing that now, but I've been wondering what to do once my son starts elementary school. If you have school age kids, how do you manage that?

As for the Discounts, are they usually for specific resorts, or for January in general?

Yes, I have a 5th grader and a 10th grader, so we have been taking them out of school for years. First, I make sure they aren't missing any major standardized testing or the end of the semester. We haven't done a full week in years so they typically only miss about 3 days of school (and a weekend). Our school has the form to fill out in order to get approval to miss days and we have to write the "educational component" of the trip. I have a standard statement about learning about history, space exploration, other cultures, etc. I've never been turned down yet. I worried when my daughter reached HS that it would be more of an issue but she's a good student and doesn't miss school for other, non-illness related issues. Plenty of people take their kids out for cheer competitions and roles in plays so I figured we could do it too ;)

I saw in your signature that you take your vacations in January. We are doing that now, but I've been wondering what to do once my son starts elementary school. If you have school age kids, how do you manage that?

As for the Discounts, are they usually for specific resorts, or for January in general?

Oh and the discounts: in January, it's usually for almost all resorts but you get more of a percentage off the higher the resort level. There are also black out dates like for holidays. It can be either room only or discounts on a package. We get the agency exclusive deal now and then when the deal comes out for the public in October, our TA will compare to see which one is better then give us the best deal.

Joining the party!! We are staying offsite 1/27-2/3. Our main group is 12 people (including kids ages 6, 4, 2, & baby)! Due to that, we are trying Windsor Hills (large 6 bedroom house!) for the first time (we are driving, so this is much easier). We also have friends planning with us, they are a group of 8 (including kids ages 8, 7, 5, & 3)! Happy to report we got the ADRs we needed, including the one meal we are all eating together (19 people!!!) at Ohana for dinner! So excited! The park hours are shorter than I would have thought, but with the low crowds, we are still able to likely fit everything in we want to do, and have some down time! Fastpass selections will likely be difficult, but I have learned all of the tips & tricks, and we are up for the challenge. Can't wait!!!

The only thing I have noticed thus far that is a little disappointing is AK. No ROL times yet, but TP estimates 6:30PM, with a park close our day of 7PM. We were really hoping to see ROL, and then head to Pandora after dark, but if this holds, we will likely have to choose between the 2. More concerning, I have read ROL may go to only certain nights in the winter, and we have base tickets, no PH, so if it's not on our night, we would miss it. But this would mean we get to see Pandora after dark, so we will be ok I think!

Last edited:
Yay :welcome: @jannalynn_11 I have added your trip to the Roll Call and I hope you have a fab time. Good idea getting such a big space and with all of you and how excited the kids will be, you need that level of fun spread out rather than cooped up in a hotel room :yay:

I know what you mean about not having all the timings it's a bit frustrating, when your trying to plan your days especially if you got your dinning set out as well.

As I have a set AK day want to see ROL and Pandora after dark and have a Tusker house booking; but knowing my luck to fit it all in I'll have to do a re-arrange.

I do have a PH (as nearly all tickets you can get in the UK come automatically with it) but it my DH least favourite park so we might be one and done with it, meaning I need to fit everything in.

Although if Pandora is as amazing as they say it is he might change his mind and we can fit another day in, in our second week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter