Official May 2018

Hiya!

So... I am *NOT* going to Disney next May... we JUST got back 2 weeks ago!!! *BUT* My stepdaughter and son-in-law are planning a trip, which my husband will be joining them for, adults-only... so I'll be lurking and seeing what kind of good tips you guys come out with... I had no idea that their dates (17-23 May) mean that they might catch the flower and garden festival! I'm actually a little jealous of that!

After watching/listening to podcasts during this years Flower and Garden I'm really excited about it. DH is into succulents so I know he'll want to bring some home. I'm looking forward to the butterfly garden. I know DS and DD will enjoy it. We're going to be "bad parents" and will be pulling DS out of school for a week, but right now he's in kindergarten so I don't feel too bad about doing it, plus I'm planning on making sure there's some education aspects thrown in. I'd really like to take an evening and go over to AKL so we can check out the animals. I've heard the evenings there are amazing and that the cast members are really knowledgeable about the animals.

if we go in the middle we can be there for my son's 5th birthday. He has got to be the most Disney World obsessed kid that has never actually been there thanks to Youtube. Any opinions on the beginning vs. middle of the month?

We're going near the beginning of May and will be there for my daughter's fifth birthday. Have any birthday activities in mind? Her first trip and I feel strongly that the her birthday has to be spent in Magic Kingdom over any other park.

I think we'll be staying at Wilderness Lodge, but need to do some more research to be 100% sure - my current reasons for choosing that resort are mainly sentimental ones and I want to be sure it's actually the right choice for a 3.5 and 5 year old.

I was tempted to stay there; the room with the bunk beds looks like it'd be great for my kids. Also, the restaurant, Whispering Canyon, sounds like a good choice. Seems like a great non-character restaurant to take kids. We're staying at CR and I'm planning Whispering Canyon as the birthday evening dinner.

I just booked a solo trip!!
May 2 - 8 at Jambo House.
I can't take school holidays anymore because of my new job and Disney has become kind of hard for my DH (his Parkinson's has gotten worse) - so he suggested I go solo!

Anyone interested in splurging and doing Sense Of Africa on Saturday, May 5th? I usually pick one really special thing to do - and I think petting an Okapi makes the cut!
It includes breakfast at Boma but is only for early risers- it starts at 7am!

We're going near the beginning of May and will be there for my daughter's fifth birthday. Have any birthday activities in mind? Her first trip and I feel strongly that the her birthday has to be spent in Magic Kingdom over any other park.

We also will be going end of Apr- beginning of May for my DD's 5th birthday as well! I too plan for birthday day to be at MK. We did that for DS and there is just something extra magical about spending your bday at MK.

These are some of the extras I am debating about. I'll probably do one.
BBB (obvious choice)
Pirates League for either Pirate princess or mermaid - we did this for DS
Pirate Adventure cruise - we're staying at BW, so I'd probably sign both of them up for the one that leaves from YC/BC
Breakfast at Akershus - we're not character breakfast people, and we typically eat QS, so this would really be special to DD

I was looking at our rapid rewards and noticed we have enough to pay for at least 1 ticket. After pricing out how much it costs us in gas, food, and the fact that our 2 year old is a terrible sleeper in the car I convinced DH to fly instead of drive the next trip. Doing that I was able to add on an extra day to the beginning and end of our stay! I'm still not sure we'll do the extra day at the end, but I'm excited about not having to sit in the car for 16 hours with a cranky toddler and a 6 year old once his tablet inevitably dies.

I can' imagine driving 16 hours with my kids. I don't see it going well unless we did multiple stops on the way.

I have rewards pending and I'm hoping they pop up when flights open up. FX

You could always do the Early Morning Magic at Magic Kingdom. I've only heard good things about it. You get in super early before the crowds come and you get a few rides that you can basically walk onto. There's also a little breakfast buffet!

Hi Everyone - I was just about to start a thread and saw this one !!! We'll be there May 6-12 staying at Poly (I hope). Trying to get discounted DVC points from David's. I Can't wait to go - haven't been since 2016...

May has become an annual trip for us because my birthday is on the 8th! We'll be there May 5-12 at Grand Floridian (unless we change our hotel!)
We're going May 5-May 12 for my (belated) birthday celebration. Currently plan on staying at the Poly, unless of course we switch!

Anyone else waiting on southwest to release May tickets? I saw they're supposed to release dates out to early June tomorrow.

I didn't report back on my flight finds. I checked Southwest yesterday morning and found flights from IND to MCO for $74! I went ahead and snagged those up. I planned on waiting to book return flights in case the price goes down so I could use the credit towards our return flight, but I honestly don't think I'll find anything cheaper than that. We had been debating on returning the 12th or the 13th, but by what flights they have available we'll probably do the 12th. They have a nonstop the leaves at 7:45pm for $103 that we're leaning towards. That would give us the morning to go to Ohana's (we decided we'd start a tradition of eating breakfast there on our last day) and some time to relax by the pool before we head out without feeling rushed. They have a cheaper flight Sunday, but it's super late. We were already pulling our son out of school for 6 1/2 days so I'd hate to have him miss another because I know there's no way he'd be up for going to school the next day.

I haven't thought about checking southwest. I live in Fort Worth, TX (Southwest's hub is Dallas Love Field), but i don't want someone to have to take us to the airport super early. I wonder if the Parking Spot takes people to Love Field... I'll have to check.

Happy to have found this thread! Booked at the Poly from May 11-19th and just snagged airfare from Southwest ($74 each way per person). Super excited. Our last big trip was in May also over Mother's Day and it couldn't have been better plus I just love Epcot during the Flower and Garden (so beautiful!).

Well we changed our plans. The wife and I are now staying at Boardwalk. She thought the property and all the shops etc on the boardwalk itself seemed more interesting than Poly. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!