OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 pretrip and trip report!

I posted this in a separate thread but in the interest of keeping things together, here is the video from yesterday's Halloween golf cart parade. Again, it's courtesy of Mousesteps / JWL Media. (17 min).

My cart is immediately in front of the overall winner, Steamboat Willie.

Bama Ed

Absolutely beautiful Halloween Day at Fort Wilderness. It's 74F, blue sky, warm, and I haven't seen a bug or skeeter since we got here.

Before lunch today Dad and I went for a little joyride via boat and monorail with the plan to ride to EPCOT and back (which we did). Sure was relaxing.

View attachment 280809

By the way, while I am type this I am listening to a bluegrass album that has four songs that play on the background loop at the Fort - Bela Fleck's The Bluegrass Sessions - Tales from the Acoustic Planet Volume 2.

When you get off the big boat at the MK dock from the Fort, there are two security gates. It moved very quickly.

View attachment 280810

The MK has a Mickey's Not So Scary tonight and tomorrow night so it is all decked out in orange.

View attachment 280812

As I said, we were just joyriding so we didn't go in MK. But we did head over to the monorail station to ride to the TTC and transfer to the EPCOT line.

When we were riding back, I got two pix of the construction work around the MK Toll Booths. Here you can see the flyovers being built to take hotel resort guests to their destination directly without going through the toll booths. At the bottom you can see the ramp that's pulling off for Fort Wilderness. Note it already has a bar over it to prevent Randy from loading his golf cart on top of his toy hauler. :rolleyes:

View attachment 280816

In the next picture you can see the new ramp just to the right of the retention pond and to the right of that is the old straight line ramp that ran to the STOL runway. It will be nice not having to go through the booths and try to GET RIGHT RIGHT NOW for the turn onto Vista Blvd.

View attachment 280817

It was warm and sunny enough to sit up front in the boat leaving MK to go back to the Fort.

View attachment 280818

Like serenitygr says, coming into the Fort dock feels like returning home.

View attachment 280819

There were swimmers in the pool this afternoon. The lifeguards had put away their stocking caps and jackets for Ray Bans and Coppertone.

View attachment 280820

The limbo contest was just getting started on the pool deck. Maybe we should incorporate this activity into the Gulf Shores DISmeet? It would definitely be entertaining!

View attachment 280821

A Bama Ed Fort trip wouldn't be complete without a Meadow Trading Post domestic 6-pack beer price update. $16 now.

View attachment 280822

Things are calm here. It's the calm before the storm.

Bama Ed

Glad to see that ramp coming along. It was all just dirt when we were there and no poles with crossbar. See they have paved some of it. Nice.

Plane is back in hangar at home in CT and made it to my home in time to see some of kids trick or treating...not the Fort, but it was the only thing that could beat it...Family :)

Thanks for the great meet up all!! Enjoy the rest of your time for those still there and I’m ready to keep following along from afar....

Wow! Trick or treating is over at the Fort and it has been a whirlwind for 2.5 hours. Sunset is at 645pm but ToT started at our site around 610pm and went until about 845pm in loop 100. I think Halloween being on a Tuesday cut down on numbers (the prior three years had been Friday, Saturday, then Sunday nights). We had 500 pieces of M&M's, Snickers, 3Muskateers, Twix, and Milky Way to hand out and have 20 left. We gave out 1 per person (small pieces) and there were lots of folks!

For those (like me) who have never been, here is what I saw.

Folks set up a small table near the loop road in the front of your site. Some decorate it with some symbol of Halloween but it's not elaborate. You man the station and hand out candy till it's gone. It's like watching a marathon race. Once people start coming by, they keep coming by for a long time until all of a sudden it's finally over. Nobody else is coming by.

Here was my give-away table.

20171031_180838.jpg

At first the ToT folks are few and far between as the sun sets.

20171031_181218.jpg

The first ToT kids are young and polite. (Photo below taken with permission):

20171031_181624.jpg

Then the crowd coming by is a little heavier. Kids getting candy and parents in the road watching.

20171031_182627.jpg

And then around the curve the wave starts.

20171031_183800.jpg

And it builds.

20171031_183931.jpg

As it gets darker (and pictures blur) the golf carts start circling.

20171031_185521.jpg

Now the floodgates have opened.

20171031_190140.jpg

Let's finish up ToT in the next post.

Bama Ed

For a while ToT is a blur of kids and candy. I ask them to say "Trick or treat" before I drop candy in the bag but I will drop for "Happy Halloween". Digging in the candy bowl is a big no-no if I am dealing with other kids at that second. Wait 3 seconds and we will make us both happy.

By the way, the last few days I have noticed a greater presence of Disney management (name tags on stringers around the neck with the blue tooth ear piece, short haircuts, and bell bottom pants) and the Orange County Sheriff Deputies (no joking here) to make sure things run smoothly. When the Popo is on your side, the chances are things run smoothly.

The longest break I had tonight was maybe 30 seconds between the waves of kids. I grabbed my camera and looked to my right to the 100/200 intersection by the Comfort Station and it was fluid dynamics in motion.

20171031_191328_LLS.jpg

It's hard to see at night but the stream of people walking in the direction that cars drive was heavy and constant for about 90 minutes.

20171031_191623_LLS.jpg

The bigger kids are coming now, taller and with deeper voices and better costumes. And golf carts are shuttling kids into the loop since they're probably on their 4th or 11th loop by now.

20171031_195112.jpg

And then the wave ends.

Just like that.

A few more trickle past and I offer chocolate to the parents to help get rid of it (if it is left here I will eat in within a day or two). Better to give it away.

I have one thing left to say in the next post.

Bama Ed

Earlier in my posts, I think I said I had talked and said hello to seven DIS'sers face to face.

Tonight, during ToT, I saw five more.

Some were names I hadn't heard from in nearly five years.

Others were posters I met a long time ago, saw frequently, but they haven't posted in over five years.

There are folks that came on the Camping Board and asked a question you would know the answer to in your sleep. But no one responded. Until you did.

One you might have met on your last trip to the Fort - they're here again.

And another might be someone who's been on the DIS for years but not on the Camping Board and wanted to know what this whole "Fort Wilderness thing" is all about.

I love meeting folks, talking, and shaking hands. It comes from my years working in Sales. DIS folks have all been great to meet and talk to. So in some combination of names and references, I promised to give a shout out tonight to those five DIS'sers I met tonight.

1. Mike from Michigan was someone I helped with getting a Musket Mickey sign. I remembered his handle and he remembered mine. He and DW came around in a golf cart (they are staying DVC this trip), saw my DIS sign, and we chatted. I helped him five years ago. What a nice couple.
  2. Mickeyfan/Marty came by with his family ToT and thanked me and all of you for helping him get ready for this Fort trip. He had his family with him and I said our job is to make your dad look good and give you kids a great Fort experience.
  3. Ozgood/Paula is a runner from Wisconsin that I met back in January with her family and is here for Halloween. She's running a race in November and was a recent DIS meet buddy.
  4. DisneyStarWisher is a DIS'ser who came on the Camping Board recently asking questions about visiting the Fort during Halloween. She and DH just wanted to visit the Fort for the day/night. We talked Aliners at the candy table and they walked off before they put 2-and-2 together with my DIS sign and came back to say who they were and connect on the DIS level. Of course I remembered them.
  5. I saved fifth place for our poster FSU_ED who hasn't posted here in years. But I met him many years ago (when he did) and it seems like I see him and his family every other trip or so here at the Fort. Of course with a name like Ed I like him but he and his family are really nice. His two girls I have literally watched grow up as they stop to visit. I have tried to shame him in the past into posting but to no avail. Thus I am sure I will see him again soon (although it sounds like we will miss each other by a day this coming January).

Not to get preachy but there are SO MANY folks who read the DIS and "lurk" out there, not posting, but reading and learning and asking questions and soaking up what you folks know. There's a reason why the October Trip report is nearly 40,000 views as of this time. The friendly act you do today will pay itself back in spades in the future. I'm here to testify to it.

Off my soapbox now.

EWP is done.

The first College Football Playoff poll of the 2017 season is out tonight and Georgia is #1 and Bama is #2. WHEW! I am so glad - I like being an underdog and letting everyone else go gunning for the #1. All you have to do is be in the top 4 and everything will work itself out for better or worse. If things work out until December the SEC Championship should be another great game like 2012.

Signing off for tonight.

Bama Ed

Well stated Ed. I've typed it here many times about how many friends I've made over the years because of the Dis.

Great work so far.

Yeah, I like that underdog status too. Lot of football to be played yet.

Before lunch today Dad and I went for a little joyride via boat and monorail with the plan to ride to EPCOT and back (which we did). Sure was relaxing.
Glad you and Dad are having a great time and taking the time as well to post all the great pictures. Oddly enough, I did like the pic of the front entrance tollbooth. I was curious how that construction was going. Thanks for keeping the rest of us motivated. :thumbsup2

Well said, Ed.

These forums really create their own "communities". The Camping Forum is one of the nicest, helpful communities on the internet. Meeting others you have only typed at can be fun and intimidating, but I have developed some life long friendships through the years by communicating through a keyboard.

Now the torch is handed to the November group. The October folks have set the bar pretty high. It has been everyone's posts and pictures that have helped with the post-trip depression. That and knowing I'll be back in February/March. :D

Is it too early to start a February Pre-trip topic?

j

Yes, very well said. Sure do appreciate you active role in this forum and everything you have posted thus far. Reading your reports provides a picture perfect view of everything going on down there right now. Ed, your doing such a great job with this report that your almost a live stream! No need for live streaming folks, no need. We have a bama here...Bama Ed (and dad)!

Enjoy your down day.

I have to agree with Ed, more FW security was around than I have ever seen in the past. Also saw the Orlando Sheriff officers the night of the beach bash. May in part be the fact the the FB group had many complaints of thefts from their sights and the two TAs that run it had a meeting with Fort management.

Well Disney is over for us. Unfortunately the weather change did in my daughter. She got very sick and had to go on her breathing machines. We stayed for trick or treating and left early this morning. Thanks to BamaEd for letting us ride in the cart parade. That was about all the fun we had.

Joe, I hate to hear about your DD. I am sure that she had a great time while at Disney and the Fort for Halloween. (along with being chauffeured by @bama_ed for the golf cart parade) In talking with her, you can sense her passion for all things Disney. She is lucky to have a dad that shares that same passion. Hope she is better soon and that you have a safe trip back home.

Steve

Joe, hope your daughter feels better. Bummer you had to cut your trip short but hopefully she is better quick.

Ed, it was great meeting you in person today. Just had to bring Skeeter by to say hello, your trip wouldn't have been complete without seeing at least one! Great thanks to you and other camping board experts that share the knowledge so others have great trips. Being DVC members we've only stayed at the Fort 7 times, but we wouldn't have even experienced this outdoor "world" if it wasn't for folks like you.

Cheryl,

It was great to meet you and DH Keith and Skeeter (so yes I have seen one but he was so well behaved - Skeeter that is).

We have lots of great people on the Camping Board ready to share their knowledge. As I told you this afternoon, when it comes to talk of 5th wheelers and RV's I'm pretty mum on the subject. I defer to those far more knowledgeable than me. There are lots of folks like me on the DIS - I just happen to be here this year.

I hope you get to use that Halloween reservation at the Fort next year too. Keith will have to let those deer in Oklahoma grow a little bigger while he's here in Florida rather than be back home at the start of hunting season.

Now that I've been to Halloween once, I have an idea of what it's like and will have to rely on you and other DIS'sers in future years to tell us how it is because for those of us at home, hearing the stories and seeing the pictures helps us enjoy it just a little bit.

Thanks for visiting and best wishes on the rest of your Florida vacation. :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Well said, Ed.

These forums really create their own "communities". The Camping Forum is one of the nicest, helpful communities on the internet. Meeting others you have only typed at can be fun and intimidating, but I have developed some life long friendships through the years by communicating through a keyboard.

Now the torch is handed to the November group. The October folks have set the bar pretty high. It has been everyone's posts and pictures that have helped with the post-trip depression. That and knowing I'll be back in February/March. :D

Is it too early to start a February Pre-trip topic?

j

Never !!!!popcorn::

It was a crazy last few days and just never got the chance to catch up here.

We woke up Friday and had an ADR at 1900PF. Alice is now my DD fav so this became a must do for us. We used this ADR as our excuse to ride the monorail. We took the resort boat to the Contemporary hoped the monorail to the GF. It was a good buffet breakfast and the made to order omelets were very good. Also being from the north one thing we lack is an abundance of biscuits and gravy so I made sure to partake in a couple of those :) After we got back to the Fort we headed to the pool for a bit. As we relaxed at the pool DW did some laundry so we would not be going home with all dirty clothes. The pool was a little more crowded as the weather was nicer then Tuesday but not crowded at all. Still being knocked for a loop by that bug I spent a few hours at the pool and then went back to the cabin to rest a little before heading to a few things and dinner in Epcot. Originally Epcot was to close at 9 so I grabbed a perfect 745p ADR at the Rose And Crown for Illuminations but they extended park closing until 10p at some point. Luckily I was able to change it until 8 and we were able to sit outside and had a great view of Illuminations.

Our plan for Sat was AK in the AM and then hop to MK for the Afternoon. We had a FP for FOR at AK from 9 to 10a and took advantage of that entire hour after a late night. I think we scanned in around 955a. We then hit the character spot so DD could meet Mickey and Minnie and then over to Triceratops Spin as it's DD top AK rides. After that we headed back to the cabin before hitting MK. While there we started watching the news and they were taking about how bad the storms would be Sunday afternoon (when we were due to land) into Monday in the Northeast. JetBlue was offering free flight changes so I headed to the Outpost to check on availability and price. Not knowing how bad it would be we really didn't want to get to the airport on Sunday and have a delay or cancellation and have to find a place to stay near the airport and be without any sort of transportation. They had availability at a decent price and we would be able to stay in the same cabin. We made the decision to stay until Tuesday and then it was off to call JetBlue to change flights. After taking care of that it was off to the MK for our last afternoon/night in the park. DD finished up the Sorcerer cards and was very happy that she completed the task successfully. We snagged a couple FP's and it started raining but we had our ponchos and it was off to dinner at BOG. It was still raining after dinner but we continued and got a couple more FP's, watched the 9p fireworks from the end of Main Street and then the 945 Castle projection. We had one more FP at Pirates so we then made our way there. DD and I rode Aladdin as our last ride in the rain.

Everyone was able to sleep late Sunday, except for me as I had to return the golf cart to Kenny at 7a. But I was able to go back to sleep when I got back. We had a lazy morning and I was able to meet @bama_ed and his dad at my cabin. We talked for a while until he had to get to his ADR at Trails End. It was then off to the pool for a bit, and then hit Disney Springs for a couple hours. We headed back to The Fort and grabbed the GAG meal for dinner.

Monday I was up early once again as we decided to rent a car and drive over to the Space Coast and Kennedy Space Center to watch the Space X launch. We were able to get to the Saturn Rocket Complex to watch the launch which is about 3.5 miles from the launch site, they only allow 3000 people to watch from that location so we headed over at noon from the visitors center for the 334p launch. It was amazing. I will try and post pics and the video later.

Tue was another early morning for me to return the car and then it was back to the cabin until eviction time, nice thing about the early mornings was seeing all the wildlife around The Fort. We had a 930 DME bus and bell services picked us up at the cabin at 9.

Well 639 days ago I created a Facebook group for my family about our trip and as of yesterday our trip officially ended when we arrived home. Until the next trip....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter