Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

I'm planning my FIRST Disney Run in January. Please forgive the newby questions, but based on the conversation so far it seems I may not even be able to get registered unless I'm DVC or APH?? My plan was to do do the Rebel Challenge, DS13 wants to do the 5K with DS9, while DS11 & DD9 are up for the 10K. Do I even have a prayer of getting all of these?? :confused:

Will you be needing a hotel or are you local?

If you need a hotel, I would encourage your to possibly reach out to one of the travel providers and see what packages they're offering. You can get all your registrations done prior to open registration and save yourself some stress.

Otherwise, do what Kim said above and be ready to go early and prioritize registrations - challenge first, 10k next, 5k last.

Don't worry! There are only a small percentage of registrations that are open for DVC and APs. For the WDW weekend, I believe it's 1,000 spots for each race and they have way bigger races than DL. :goodvibes

That being said, with the number of people you do need to register, it would be better if someone can help you, b/c spots sell out extremely fast, some races in 20 min. So w/ help it will just alleviate some stress come reg morning. Registration will open at 9am PST/12pm EST and your best bet is to be on the rD page about 10 minutes before and about 5 min out just start hitting the refresh button until it opens. Sign up for RC 1st; I just can't remember if the 5k or 10k sold out 1st from last year though. Some other tips would be don't worry for the RC about proof of time and filling in what race it's from, b/c you can just submit proof later on; they'll tell you the deadline to do it by. Also open a word document pre-reg and type in the credit card number you are going to use that way you can make sure it's correct w/o you trying to hurry and you can just copy and paste it each time to save you a few seconds.

Whew, that helps! Thanks!!

I'm hoping to do a Coast-to-Coast with the Princess Half if I can talk DH into a quick adults only trip a month after our CA trip, but that will be just me running, so only one registration to worry about. I haven't decided if I want to try for the glass slipper yet, but probably. Same advice? SIL might also do the princess half and she is DVC. I assume she can't register me?

I usually like to make my own reservations, but if it makes a big difference in actually getting registered, I might consider it. Is one better than another? When/where do they post their packages?

I've used Acclaim and have had no problems with them. Their site says they're going to start selling packages on June 2.

I've used Acclaim and have had no problems with them. Their site says they're going to start selling packages on June 2.

Thanks! The kids agreed to give up Christmas gifts to do this, so I would hate to disappoint them!

Whew, that helps! Thanks!!

I'm hoping to do a Coast-to-Coast with the Princess Half if I can talk DH into a quick adults only trip a month after our CA trip, but that will be just me running, so only one registration to worry about. I haven't decided if I want to try for the glass slipper yet, but probably. Same advice? SIL might also do the princess half and she is DVC. I assume she can't register me?

Yup, same advice for GSC! If you're on a little before and keep refreshing, you should be good. Unfortunately, your SIL can't register you. I know you can do that if you live in the same household, but not outside.

Another group that will have early reg packages is Get Travel. They do the discounted park tix and some hotel rooms for DL races. You can go on their site they should post the dates soon. I know it used to be reg for the races plus a 1 day/1 park ticket that could be upgraded if you wanted, but they might have recently changed.

I'll be running the half, gotta keep my legacy status intact :) I am kind of hoping they make adjustments to the course, it wasn't my favorite last year.

This may be off-topic, but I'm curious... I know that I have to pick up my own packet, but do the kids need to go with me to pick up theirs?

We did the inaugural half this year and are looking forward to it again this year. We are going to be one of the crazies and use this race for the second half of the Coast to Coast; we will be doing the Dopey the weekend before! Officially Disney crazy... :crazy:

Where did the 5K and Half start last year?
Heading North on Disney Drive, in front of Paradise Pier and Grand Californian.

It's my least favorite course, but I can't do Avengers this year so Star Wars it is.

Where did the 5K and Half start last year?

They started on DL Drive where the other races start. They ran in the same direction as Tink, going towards Ball Rd instead of Katella like DL. The finish line for both was the same as DL in the DLH parking lot behind ESPN Zone.

We did the inaugural half this year and are looking forward to it again this year. We are going to be one of the crazies and use this race for the second half of the Coast to Coast; we will be doing the Dopey the weekend before! Officially Disney crazy... :crazy:

As i can see I'm not the only RunDisney crazy....

FWIW, I just heard on the Mickey Miles Podcast there's a rumor of a "big announcement" by rD in June. Anyone think it'll be a WDW SW race? Maybe to "replace" EEC in May or ToT in October? Timing would be right if they want to announce a special coast to coast SW challenge before SW Half registration.

Will you be needing a hotel or are you local?

If you need a hotel, I would encourage your to possibly reach out to one of the travel providers and see what packages they're offering. You can get all your registrations done prior to open registration and save yourself some stress.

Otherwise, do what Kim said above and be ready to go early and prioritize registrations - challenge first, 10k next, 5k last.
This is new to me -- are these Disney hotels or other area hotels?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!