***Official Super December 2018 Thread***

Add me to the Roll Call Please :D We just got back from a really awesome, low crowd 10 day stay 9/6-16th at the Contemporary Atrium Club. While there, we upgraded our tickets to the Platinum Annual Passes so I decided we needed to come Christmas week to see how insane the crowds really are o_O We are really venturing out this trip by not staying Club Level. Instead, for 1/3 the price we booked AoA Nemo Family Suite with pool view. A little worried about transportation and getting a seat to eat at QS. I was able to grab some really awesome Dinner ADR's for every day. I am surprised at the availability! Our dates are December 22nd thru the 28th. Someone give me some positive vibes so I can deal with the crowds! :thumbsup2

I find buses to be unbelievably quick and efficient over Christmas week. :) If you’re at a park, waiting for an AofA bus and a Pop bus pulls up, hop on the Pop bus. It’s just a quick walk over the bridge to your Nemo Suite.

Take note of the times that quick service locations open for lunch. If they open at 10:30 - 11:00am. Eat then. You’ll be much happier if you can stay ahead of the crowds. Have fun! It’s awesome!

Has anyone booked a holiday tour? I'm trying to find something that I can do for my 30th birthday while in Disney (my DH will keep the girls and I'll be doing it on my own).

I've never been, but I think a holiday tour sounds too fun!

Hello fellow December birthday friends! I found an article via Pinterest about how to get a personalized Disney birthday button and now I can't get to get my own.

http://stepstomagic.com/how-to-get-a-personalized-birthday-button/

This is fun! I knew about the free ones, but could be fun for a couple bucks to have it be more personalized! Thanks for sharing!

So after looking at other threads, I hope I made good decisions for our upcoming 12/22-28 trip. I was able to change all my dinner ADR's to the following lunch ADR's for each park day. I was shocked that all these were still available!
12/23 MK day. The Plaza at 1:55
12/24 AK day. Rainforest Cafe at 2:00
12/25 EP day. Coral Reef at 2:30
12/26 HS day. Hollywood & Vine at 2:00
12/27 MK day. Crystal Palace at 3:40

Our plans are to arrive at park opening daily. Do what rides we can FP or minimal waits before lunch then just tour, shop and take in all the Christmas magic. Then head back to the resort and let the girls swim or just relax in the evenings. From what I have read, the parks really ramp up after 12:00 so I'm hoping we can do more in the morning vs. the evenings. Any input will be appreciated since we haven't gone on what they say is the busiest week of the year.

I find buses to be unbelievably quick and efficient over Christmas week. :) If you’re at a park, waiting for an AofA bus and a Pop bus pulls up, hop on the Pop bus. It’s just a quick walk over the bridge to your Nemo Suite.

Take note of the times that quick service locations open for lunch. If they open at 10:30 - 11:00am. Eat then. You’ll be much happier if you can stay ahead of the crowds. Have fun! It’s awesome!
We nailed down our plans, all except FP. We booked all of our ADR times at or around 2:00 (except our last MK day 3:40) and plan on getting to the parks early via Minnie Vans even though the price went up. After our in park lunch everyday we are gong to head back to the resort and have some pool time and relax. I hope this will be the best way to do Christmas crowds.

Hello all!
We will be going December 24th-January 2nd 2018. And I am petrified lol. I have heard the nightmare stories but this is literally the only week my whole bunch could go. There are six total, one of which has never been and we are so excited to watch him experience the magic of Disney. We LOVE Disney World and I know the parks, resorts, restaurants, and transportation very well. My concern, of course, is the crowds. I am trying to prepare my bunch for what they will experience, but also plan well so that we get the best experience possible. Can anyone answer how manageable the parks are at rope drop, and how long they stay manageable? We plan to rope drop and then have a table service meal around noon or 1:00, then break and take a nap or go to Disney Springs, then back to the parks at night. Also is the transportation doable or should we plan to uber often? Are fast pass lines super long as well? Sorry for all the questions just trying to prepare and plan so it is the best Christmas ever. It will be our first time in the World on Christmas Day!
We will also be there during some of your dates including Christmas day and are also petrified! We always go during low crowds but our girls are getting to the age where we don't want to pull them out of school anymore and since we purchased Platinum Passes, we plan on going to see the Mouse a lot more! Have you googled Christmas day crowd pics? I did and then crawled under my bed shaking! It looks like total chaos! We are also planning on arriving early and doing our FP then our Lunch ADR's and maybe some shopping before heading back to the resort If we get the chance to do any other rides or shows we will consider it a bonus. Good luck to both of us. I'm sure we will need it along with more than a few adult drinks!

I'm going 12/22 - 1/1 and due to cost and other factors, will be staying offsite. I'll have a rental car, but I've read how slow the traffic can be at WDW during that busy week. Is it likely to take two hours on average to drive from a WDW entrance to an ADR at a WDW hotel? (I know it sort of depends on the exact destination, but I have several ADRs.) I also thought of parking at Disney Springs and catching a bus, but I've read that area is also very overcrowded during that week, so not sure if that would be an improvement or would be even more difficult...

So after looking at other threads, I hope I made good decisions for our upcoming 12/22-28 trip. I was able to change all my dinner ADR's to the following lunch ADR's for each park day. I was shocked that all these were still available!
12/23 MK day. The Plaza at 1:55
12/24 AK day. Rainforest Cafe at 2:00
12/25 EP day. Coral Reef at 2:30
12/26 HS day. Hollywood & Vine at 2:00
12/27 MK day. Crystal Palace at 3:40

Our plans are to arrive at park opening daily. Do what rides we can FP or minimal waits before lunch then just tour, shop and take in all the Christmas magic. Then head back to the resort and let the girls swim or just relax in the evenings. From what I have read, the parks really ramp up after 12:00 so I'm hoping we can do more in the morning vs. the evenings. Any input will be appreciated since we haven't gone on what they say is the busiest week of the year.

MK generally opens at 7am every morning that week and other parks open earlier too. Your lunches are late. Are you planning on eating breakfast or bringing breakfast to the parks?

We nailed down our plans, all except FP. We booked all of our ADR times at or around 2:00 (except our last MK day 3:40) and plan on getting to the parks early via Minnie Vans even though the price went up. After our in park lunch everyday we are gong to head back to the resort and have some pool time and relax. I hope this will be the best way to do Christmas crowds.

Can Minnie Vans access the bus lanes? Or do they drop you off where the buses drop off? I really don’t know a thing about them. I’m just thinking..... the buses seem to have their own lanes that seem to avoid the traffic and congestion. Buses might be the better alternative. I just remember whizzing to the parks on the buses and seeing huge lines of cars trying to get in and out of the parks.

I'm going 12/22 - 1/1 and due to cost and other factors, will be staying offsite. I'll have a rental car, but I've read how slow the traffic can be at WDW during that busy week. Is it likely to take two hours on average to drive from a WDW entrance to an ADR at a WDW hotel? (I know it sort of depends on the exact destination, but I have several ADRs.) I also thought of parking at Disney Springs and catching a bus, but I've read that area is also very overcrowded during that week, so not sure if that would be an improvement or would be even more difficult...

Your worst traffic will be on Christmas and NYE. It legitimately took two hours to get from AKL to Epcot via resort bus on New Year's Eve. I'm a regular visitor, but last year was my first new year's eve trip...i did tons of research and felt confident with my plans and timing. Nope. Traffic was at a standstill. Avoid driving on NYE unless it is first thing in the morning. On a regular day that week it shouldn't take you that long to get around. Yes, traffic will be heavier during certain parts of the day, but we have never experienced anything like we did on NYE. It's why we're staying at the Poly this year for NYE! Definitely give yourself a decent time cushion to get anywhere via car that week.

We will also be there during some of your dates including Christmas day and are also petrified! We always go during low crowds but our girls are getting to the age where we don't want to pull them out of school anymore and since we purchased Platinum Passes, we plan on going to see the Mouse a lot more! Have you googled Christmas day crowd pics? I did and then crawled under my bed shaking! It looks like total chaos! We are also planning on arriving early and doing our FP then our Lunch ADR's and maybe some shopping before heading back to the resort If we get the chance to do any other rides or shows we will consider it a bonus. Good luck to both of us. I'm sure we will need it along with more than a few adult drinks!
Don’t worry! It will be awesome! :hyper: Expect the crowds! Embrace them! I find everyone nicer and kinder this time of year, despite the madness and insanity. And people love to take pictures of the massive crowds. It just takes one person to stop in the middle of the path and look at a map to create chaos this time of year. :rotfl:Alcohol helps.

Your worst traffic will be on Christmas and NYE. It legitimately took two hours to get from AKL to Epcot via resort bus on New Year's Eve. I'm a regular visitor, but last year was my first new year's eve trip...i did tons of research and felt confident with my plans and timing. Nope. Traffic was at a standstill. Avoid driving on NYE unless it is first thing in the morning. On a regular day that week it shouldn't take you that long to get around. Yes, traffic will be heavier during certain parts of the day, but we have never experienced anything like we did on NYE. It's why we're staying at the Poly this year for NYE! Definitely give yourself a decent time cushion to get anywhere via car that week.

Crap. That’s not good. What time did you leave at? We stayed at POFQ two years ago on NYE and it didn’t take long at all by bus, but we didn’t leave til about 8pm. Maybe everyone was already there at that point?

@Disneylover99 - it didn't pull your quote to reply for some reason!

We had lunch at Sanaa right when it opened, got to the Kidani bus stop around noon - there was already a group there that had been waiting for almost an hour. I think we waited about half an hour more, so around 12:40 I think when we got on the bus. We got to Epcot a full two hours later. We missed our first FP, got to Epcot and sent DH through the bagless line so at least he would make it to our Soarin' FP that was ending at 3:15 while I went through regular bag check (I'd just been in October, and he hadn't been in a year, so i was ok missing out if i had to). It took close to 20 min for me to get through the security line. Luckily the AP entrance was clear once I got to that point so I walked as fast as I could and made it to Soarin' at 3:12.

We stayed until the 6:30 Illuminations was over and left the park...it took like 15/20 min to get back to the resort around 7pm. No traffic that direction! I think you'd be ok later in the evening. People WILL leave MK and Epcot after the first fireworks shows, but around 8:00ish might be ok.

My advice is to be prepared for anything! Everything I read for last year said traffic would be bad after 2pm and to get to a park by 3...well, I think everyone else read that same advice b/c boy oh boy did everyone get to a park by 3! MK was closed at capacity already by about noon, I had a friend texting me updates while I was on the bus, lol! We even saw a lady exit her truck and go to the bathroom behind a monorail support while stuck in traffic. People were driving over the grassy median, and others were leaving a driver in the car and getting out to walk. Everyone on the bus (which was crammed full, standing room only) was having a good time, we were all laughing and joking and making the best of it.

Our current plan is to go to DHS early in the morning on NYE, friendship boat to Epcot, walk to the front and monorail back to TTC and walk back to the Poly. Plan B is to go to MK early and ferry back once it gets out of control. I vowed to never be on a bus again on NYE unless it was first thing in the morning.

**Editing to say, this year could be totally different. According to all of the people on the bus who'd been before, and the locals I met in line for Epcot bag check/security said it hasn't been THAT busy at that point in the day before in their experience. I said I would never go back to WDW over the new year ever again, but here I go the very next year, so I wasn't all that traumatized I guess...although at the time it felt like a nightmare!

Last edited:
@Disneylover99 - it didn't pull your quote to reply for some reason!

We had lunch at Sanaa right when it opened, got to the Kidani bus stop around noon - there was already a group there that had been waiting for almost an hour. I think we waited about half an hour more, so around 12:40 I think when we got on the bus. We got to Epcot a full two hours later. We missed our first FP, got to Epcot and sent DH through the bagless line so at least he would make it to our Soarin' FP that was ending at 3:15 while I went through regular bag check (I'd just been in October, and he hadn't been in a year, so i was ok missing out if i had to). It took close to 20 min for me to get through the security line. Luckily the AP entrance was clear once I got to that point so I walked as fast as I could and made it to Soarin' at 3:12.

We stayed until the 6:30 Illuminations was over and left the park...it took like 15/20 min to get back to the resort around 7pm. No traffic that direction! I think you'd be ok later in the evening. People WILL leave MK and Epcot after the first fireworks shows, but around 8:00ish might be ok.

My advice is to be prepared for anything! Everything I read for last year said traffic would be bad after 2pm and to get to a park by 3...well, I think everyone else read that same advice b/c boy oh boy did everyone get to a park by 3! MK was closed at capacity already by about noon, I had a friend texting me updates while I was on the bus, lol! We even saw a lady exit her truck and go to the bathroom behind a monorail support while stuck in traffic. People were driving over the grassy median, and others were leaving a driver in the car and getting out to walk. Everyone on the bus (which was crammed full, standing room only) was having a good time, we were all laughing and joking and making the best of it.

Our current plan is to go to DHS early in the morning on NYE, friendship boat to Epcot, walk to the front and monorail back to TTC and walk back to the Poly. Plan B is to go to MK early and ferry back once it gets out of control. I vowed to never be on a bus again on NYE unless it was first thing in the morning.

**Editing to say, this year could be totally different. According to all of the people on the bus who'd been before, and the locals I met in line for Epcot bag check/security said it hasn't been THAT busy at that point in the day before in their experience. I said I would never go back to WDW over the new year ever again, but here I go the very next year, so I wasn't all that traumatized I guess...although at the time it felt like a nightmare!

Thanks for all your info.! I think we’ll stick to our 8pm arrival. We waltzed right in. No lines at all. We might be doomed this time around, but it seemed to work out great for us last time. We didn’t attempt to leave Epcot til after 2am. That worked out well too. We were back at our resort right before 2:30am.

I’m glad you had a fun bus. Those are some of the best times. Crazy but true! But two hours? :crazy2: Yeah, that’s a long ride! You just never know, I guess.

You can’t take a bus to the parks from DS, but you can take a bus to DS from the parks after 4pm.

You can’t take a bus to the parks from DS, but you can take a bus to DS from the parks after 4pm.
I should have clarified that I was considering taking a bus from DS only to the resorts where I have ADRs; not taking a bus from DS to the parks. (Most days I won't even be going to the parks.)

We have joined the December crew! We are staying at the Swan on SPG points Dec 29-Jan3
pixiedust:
We are myself, DH and DS 12 and DS10

Candlelight processional lunch Dec 29
MK Dec 30 Eve Eve fireworks
Epcot Dec 31st...I think...
Currently have jingle jam dessert party Jan 1 but prob will cancel $350ish dollars won’t have enough value for us
No other real plans yet

Now I need to catch up on the rest of the group!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter