****Official Thanksgiving 2020 Thread****

We just rescheduled for 11/22-11/29 as well at Wilderness Lodge. Are the parks open on Thanksgiving Day? Is it just insane with crowds? Are the Christmas decorations up yet? I've never gone in November before, much less Thanksgiving, so I'm a total newbie on this one.

Hi, Mike!
We went on Thanksgiving many years ago in 2012 and are going again this year. I’ve heard it’s gotten much more crowded in recent years. I was hoping this year people may be waiting until 2021 for the anniversary but now it sounds like lots are rescheduling that week like you so my guess is that it’s going be packed. The best laid plans, right.🙃 Many sites I’ve seen have suggested avoiding MK at all costs on Thanksgiving and try Animal Kingdom. Lots of decorations everywhere for Christmas! Weather is awesome—usually 70s/low 80s and 60s at night. Perfect for us WI folk! We usually just bring a sweatshirt/coat for at night but wear shorts we’ve had on during the day.
Also, the parks tend to be open longer to accommodate for crowds which we also love as our favorite time is at night after all the littles go home and the park gets much clearer especially at MK after 10. Hope you have a great time!

I just set up our trip to bookend with nights at the Pop so we are Nov 21-28, staying the first and last night at the Pop and the interim at Sarartoga Springs.

I am just about ready to dive deep into planning. I would LOVE to have park hours to plan with. Anyone know about when we an expect them?

On a side note, I am teaching high school physics from home for the foreseeable future. It is tough to get my kids what they need to be successful!
I didn't see anything for this and I thought it would be a nice addition to gather us all together for this year's planning etc.
We are heading down Nov. 25-30, staying at Wilderness Lodge. This will be our first time celebrating Thanksgiving in Disney. We are planning on a mostly resort stay with one park day (HS), Disney Springs time and one Christmas Party which historically they have been held the Sunday following Thanksgiving so we are banking on that holding true for 2020.

I'm actually looking forward to taking it easy and seeing some other stuff that we never get to normally:
*Disney Springs itself
*Taking a boat over to Fort Wilderness and doing the Chip and Dale Campfire and the horse drawn carriage through the campsites to see decorations
*Taking advantage of the resort's daily activities
*Taking a boat over to the Contemporary and doing the resort monorail loop to check out the Christmas decorations at Contemporary, Grand Flo and Poly (also pick up some dole whip)

Is anyone else planning a Disney thanksgiving? Where are you thinking of having Thanksgiving dinner?
We thought our obvious choice would be Whispering Canyon because we're already there but I dont know anymore. There are so many restaurants doing special menus.
We’re renting a house so I thought about making things ahead and popping them in when we got home from Animal Kingdom but if anyone has any suggestions, I’d love to hear them for a Thanksgiving meal! Great question!

We just rescheduled our April vacation week trip to THanksgiving week. We are at Saratoga for now. Hope to switch to Boardwalk if available. We look forward to our April trip every year=my birthday, Flower and Garden, but with the shelter in place, the self quarentine if we fly from CT we said better to change it. Looking forward to finally seeing Disney with Christmas decorations.

We already had a Thanksgiving trip planned before the COVID-19 crisis, and I don't know why I didn't think that it was going to be highly likely that families would be rescheduling to this week as well! Part of me is like "the more the merrier" because of how disappointing I know it is to have to delay that desperately needed feeling of magic...…the other part of me is like "stay away covid crashers! this week is already filled up!"

Because of crazy person level stalking I was able to add additional nights onto our Thanksgiving week vacation (we had to cancel our March trip so I'm just reallocating days basically) - now we'll be there for 8 days!! AAHH so excited.

Joining in! We have been at Thanksgiving for several years- the weather & Christmas decorations are great! We aren’t sure about Thanksgiving dinner yet. We ate at Yachtsman a few years ago, but I’m considering Flying Fish this time. We aren’t worried about a traditional meal, as we would rather enjoy what the restaurant does routinely/best. Will def have to check out menus when they are released.

Does anyone know the likelihood of MK Extra Morning Magic starting the weekend before Thanksgiving? I have searched for historical dates with no luck.

Another Covid Crasher to Thanksgiving week. After the initial gut punch of having to cancel our perfectly planned April trip, I am now over the sadness and very much looking forward to planning and spending Thanksgiving week at Disney- especially since my daughter will turn sweet sixteen on that Tuesday.

Thanksgiving is wonderful time to visit. Weather for us was perfect; crowds were low. Experienced the Osborne lights; quite a little show was put on. That was a number of years ago, and started the day after Thanksgiving. also from WI. and name is MIKE

I didn't see anything for this and I thought it would be a nice addition to gather us all together for this year's planning etc.
We are heading down Nov. 25-30, staying at Wilderness Lodge. This will be our first time celebrating Thanksgiving in Disney. We are planning on a mostly resort stay with one park day (HS), Disney Springs time and one Christmas Party which historically they have been held the Sunday following Thanksgiving so we are banking on that holding true for 2020.

I'm actually looking forward to taking it easy and seeing some other stuff that we never get to normally:
*Disney Springs itself
*Taking a boat over to Fort Wilderness and doing the Chip and Dale Campfire and the horse drawn carriage through the campsites to see decorations
*Taking advantage of the resort's daily activities
*Taking a boat over to the Contemporary and doing the resort monorail loop to check out the Christmas decorations at Contemporary, Grand Flo and Poly (also pick up some dole whip)

Is anyone else planning a Disney thanksgiving? Where are you thinking of having Thanksgiving dinner?
We thought our obvious choice would be Whispering Canyon because we're already there but I dont know anymore. There are so many restaurants doing special menus.

I "get" all the statements about your happy place being the Disney Planning Mode. For the last 7 years we've had Thanksgiving at a different country in Epcot. It's been fabulous. The first year it was Le Cellier. My adult DD really wondered about TG dinner in Canada???? Then she got it. She picks the country every year. For TG 2019 it was ronto roasters in BATUU !! Followed by drinks at Olga's. (FYI, the day started with getting the lightsabers at Savi's). Incredible. We may repeat that one this year. To answer the question Festival of Holidays in Epcot almost always begins the Friday after Thanksgiving. (2018 it started in early November). Beware though. Now with the skyliner, EPCOT was busier then I've ever seen it b/c of people coming over from HS. Perhaps don't go opening day of the festival. Be sure to have all your fast passes and reservations way ahead of time. On another note I thoroughly enjoyed the previous blogger's plans for things they usually don't do--the carriage ride, Chip and Dales's campfire. That sounds so soothing to the soul. Thanks for this thread. Linda

Great thread! I've been tentatively planning a TG trip to WDW, not covid-related but for a basketball tournament. I hadn't booked anything because I was waiting for the tournament packages to come out - last year, it was 4 nights, tickets to the games, and 2-day park hoppers. I am now thinking I should just go ahead and make reservations because so many have to reschedule now, and especially for folks with kids, I'm guessing the week of TG is very attractive to avoid even more school disruption. My fam has done DLR a few times, including spring break last year, but never during TG/Christmas time, and the last time DH and I were at WDW was in 2005, the week between Christmas and New Years, but that was before that time got super crowded and I was just along for the ride vs the primary planner.

When do the Christmas Party dates usually get announced? We will likely arrive the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and leave the Saturday after, and from a PP it sounds like the party is often held the Sunday *after* TG (too late for us), but someone seemed to indicate they might hold one the Sunday before.

I've been looking at doing Camp Wilderness and renting a fully loaded 5th wheel, but also looking at AKL. Both would be completely unlike anything my kids have experienced at DLR, and also pretty unique for DH and I. We're a family of 7, with my sister's family of 4 likely to join us (fingers crossed!), and maybe even another 3-5 family members joining too. I'm in full on research mode but kind of wanting to get something reserved and just buy the tournament tickets separate, especially considering how many folks are rescheduling. During normal times, how far in advance does TG week usually fill up? Is there any reason to wait and hope for specials?

Happy to see this thread, my 2020 plans are all over the place. I have a reservation for May 24-May 30 (but I don't see that happening). Then, when free dining came up I grabbed a June 28-July 4th (I was not keeping both reservations). Now, we are a little nervous about the late June reservation.....So, here I go planning again, at least it keeps me occupied. I have not been during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Christmas is tempting in theory, but when I watch YouTube videos and see the Christmas crowds, I think Thanksgiving will be lovely :)

We normally stay at the Contemporary, but I can stay at the Swan and do a few extras like Very Merry Christmas Party OR stay at the Poly, which we have never done. We do not do the pools, but love the convenience of the monorail. We typically take mid-day breaks......So which would you pick? Are there other holiday extras you would add?

Happy to see this thread, my 2020 plans are all over the place. I have a reservation for May 24-May 30 (but I don't see that happening). Then, when free dining came up I grabbed a June 28-July 4th (I was not keeping both reservations). Now, we are a little nervous about the late June reservation.....So, here I go planning again, at least it keeps me occupied. I have not been during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Christmas is tempting in theory, but when I watch YouTube videos and see the Christmas crowds, I think Thanksgiving will be lovely :)

We normally stay at the Contemporary, but I can stay at the Swan and do a few extras like Very Merry Christmas Party OR stay at the Poly, which we have never done. We do not do the pools, but love the convenience of the monorail. We typically take mid-day breaks......So which would you pick? Are there other holiday extras you would add?

Hollywood Studios is beautiful at xmas time and has some great snacks. I also really love the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam dessert party. It's my favorite dessert party. The show is cute, but the food is excellent. Both of these should be available at Thanksgiving time. At least they were in 2018.

I’ll 2 nd the jingle bam dessert party, the holiday adult drinks were yummy. Tip: pour into a to go cocoa cup early, so you have one to take to the fireworks viewing area. Dinners - liberty tree tavern at Magic kingdom fits the bill for typical thanksgiving food. I would wait till Black Friday or Saturday. To book there, much easier to get a reservation. Weather some years 7 pairs of pants and 2 shorts, other trips 4 pairs of pants and 5 shorts. I always overpack. A jacket or sweatshirt is needed on a few cool evenings, but usually 2 days of the trip are decent for swimming. Since Easter is kind of sad this year , looking forward to Thanksgiving with Mickey

We are arriving the 25. Already had it planned before the virus but had to cancel spring break because of it. Hoping trip in July still happens. We rebooked for that time.

I’ll 2 nd the jingle bam dessert party, the holiday adult drinks were yummy. Tip: pour into a to go cocoa cup early, so you have one to take to the fireworks viewing area. Dinners - liberty tree tavern at Magic kingdom fits the bill for typical thanksgiving food. I would wait till Black Friday or Saturday. To book there, much easier to get a reservation. Weather some years 7 pairs of pants and 2 shorts, other trips 4 pairs of pants and 5 shorts. I always overpack. A jacket or sweatshirt is needed on a few cool evenings, but usually 2 days of the trip are decent for swimming. Since Easter is kind of sad this year , looking forward to Thanksgiving with Mickey
I‘m hoping to schedule Liberty Tree sometime on Thanksgiving day for a party of 8. We’re staying off property so I can’t schedule unto the 180th day. I‘ m worried it wont be possible. Is there no chance of it? Just want to set my expectations so I’m not too disappointed.
Thank you.
Rose

Thanksgiving day was the first day of our trip, so couldn’t get it. If it’s the 6 th or 7 th day of your trip when staying on property- you would have better luck.
Thus, my suggestion to try and book it the day after.
There are several restaurants that will serve turkey that day. If you search the threads , I’m sure there is a list somewhere. I’m thinking The Wave over a he Contemporary - short 5 min walk outside of magic kingdom does.

We are hopping on to the Thanksgiving train! We were scheduled for a 4th of July trip but we decided to push it off to November with hopes that we will have a better handle on how the parks will operate. We have DVC and originally had our July trip at the Poly so with limited DVC resort options we booked a 2BR at OKW -- we are actually looking forward to staying ther.

I looked at Touring Plans and every day of our trip Nov 22-29th -- oh geez they have everyday as a 10!! We will adjust our expectations to deal with the crowds and just enjoy and relax. I am kind of glad that we won't have to deal with the heat and humidity of the summer, so if we will be wearing masks it will be much more bearable.

Magic kingdom was a little crazy the Saturday after thanksgiving. We just did high capacity rides like small world and pirates. Then watched the parade and did shows. We went back to magic on Tuesday and rode the mountains,
It’s a wonderful time of year with all the good dessert smells coming from the countries in Epcot to the happy holidays music in Hollywood studios.

So excited to be joining in here as well. We booked our Thanksgiving week trip this morning to replace our early July trip. I'm a little concerned about crowds, having never done a holiday week at Disney before, but hope the pleasant weather will make up for it. We have only ever been to Florida in the summer so this is all new to us. We will be staying at POR from 11/19 - 11/28 and are hoping to get to do a Christmas party and the candlelight processional (does this start usually the Friday after Thanksgiving?). Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Great thread! I've been tentatively planning a TG trip to WDW, not covid-related but for a basketball tournament. I hadn't booked anything because I was waiting for the tournament packages to come out - last year, it was 4 nights, tickets to the games, and 2-day park hoppers. I am now thinking I should just go ahead and make reservations because so many have to reschedule now, and especially for folks with kids, I'm guessing the week of TG is very attractive to avoid even more school disruption. My fam has done DLR a few times, including spring break last year, but never during TG/Christmas time, and the last time DH and I were at WDW was in 2005, the week between Christmas and New Years, but that was before that time got super crowded and I was just along for the ride vs the primary planner.

When do the Christmas Party dates usually get announced? We will likely arrive the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and leave the Saturday after, and from a PP it sounds like the party is often held the Sunday *after* TG (too late for us), but someone seemed to indicate they might hold one the Sunday before.

I've been looking at doing Camp Wilderness and renting a fully loaded 5th wheel, but also looking at AKL. Both would be completely unlike anything my kids have experienced at DLR, and also pretty unique for DH and I. We're a family of 7, with my sister's family of 4 likely to join us (fingers crossed!), and maybe even another 3-5 family members joining too. I'm in full on research mode but kind of wanting to get something reserved and just buy the tournament tickets separate, especially considering how many folks are rescheduling. During normal times, how far in advance does TG week usually fill up? Is there any reason to wait and hope for specials?

I just checked and last year, the Disney Parks Blog announced that the Christmas Party tickets went on sale on April 8th:

The dates were (in 2019)
  • November: 8, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 24
  • December: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!