Official: U.S. one vote away AND U.S. talking surrender with Iraqi military personnel

wovenwonder

DIS Veteran
It sounds like progress! I particularly like the talk of possible 'surrender'!

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Bush administration believes that it is one vote shy of having nine of 15 votes needed on a U.N. Security Council resolution giving Iraq an ultimatum to disarm, two senior U.S. State Department officials said Wednesday.

These officials said the administration will focus its diplomatic energies on Mexico and Chile to secure their backing.
Surrender talks
U.S. officials said Wednesday that surrender negotiations have secretly begun with key Iraqi military officials in hopes that some military units will not fight U.S. and coalition forces if there is war.

The Pentagon is not handling these communications, officials said, but instead other elements of the U.S. government are conducting them.

One senior official said that some parts of the Iraqi military already may have agreed not to fight.

Entire CNN story HERE

I HOPE! It would be really nice, but I can't imagine that Saddam will really and truly disarm. I want to hear that Saddam will surrender. Do you think there is a chance of that? Sounds like his military has more brains.

I wouldn't want to be in the Iraqi military leaders' shoes if Saddam gets ahold of them.

I think we need to send in Jimmy Carter!!!!! He's helped out in other situations....I think we could use his help now! Although, maybe he is one of those "others" that are doing the negotiation. Oh wouldn't this truly be nice.

Originally posted by December99
I think we need to send in Jimmy Carter!!!!! He's helped out in other situations....I think we could use his help now! Although, maybe he is one of those "others" that are doing the negotiation. Oh wouldn't this truly be nice.

Are you kidding!!!! Jimmy Carter??!! The failed president? He travels Europe, criticizing the U.S. The last thing he "negotiated" was aid to N. Korea so they would cease their nuclear program and we all know how that ended. Jimmy needs to go back to Georgia and keep his mouth shut!

Originally posted by December99
ROTFLMAO :teeth:

My DH was in Iraq in 91 and saw how quickly and thankfully the Iraqi soldiers were to surrender. They were petrified.

Originally posted by BibbidiBobbidiBoo
My DH was in Iraq in 91 and saw how quickly and thankfully the Iraqi soldiers were to surrender. They were petrified.

They actually tried to surrender to the Brits last week during a "fire practice". They were told to "go back" , it hasn't started yet. All commanders are being given instructions by "what ever means", on the method of surrender.

I'm pretty sure that if parts of Saddam's army were in negotiations to surrender that the news wouldn't be on cnn before the war started. I think planting a bogus story in the US news isn't a bad plan to get Saddam to assisinate some of his top military personnel before a war though. Anyway that's my thoughts on it.

Also, we only need one more vote to pass the resolution but we have the sticky situation of three countries threatening to veto it. It won't matter how many votes we have if just one country with veto power uses that power then it's over even if we have the nine votes needed to pass it.

During Desert Storm DH says Iraqis were even giving up to helicopters. There was one day that busloads of them showed up at his POW camp. There weren't enough Americans to drive the buses so Iraqis were also driving. They were grateful to get away from Hussein. Let's hope it's that way again.

Hi dd!:D
Yes, DH said they were literally swarming at them, pleading for us to take them! My DH's unit did go up against the "elite" Guards, but they were not that "elite";) . Lets pray it is the same this time. He has pictures of the masses coming at him.

Originally posted by BibbidiBobbidiBoo
Hi dd!:D
Yes, DH said they were literally swarming at them, pleading for us to take them! My DH's unit did go up against the "elite" Guards, but they were not that "elite";) . Lets pray it is the same this time. He has pictures of the masses coming at him.

How sad -- they wanted to get out of that way of life so bad that they were willing to turn themselves over to the 'enemy'. Not to jump ahead -- but I hope the 're-building' can bring them some peace. (I ofcourse, hope that the rebuilding can take place without war first)

Yes, it was truly sad. They were so grateful for us to take and feed them and give them the care they so needed. They DO need new leadership.

I think it would be ideal to do the re-building without a war first!

December99 You were kidding, weren't you??? Jimmy Carter is about as smart as bait!!!

I am not putting you down when I say this but I'm guessing you were about seven years old when Jimmy Carter was elected (almost eight by the time his inauguration day came around.), so although I'm sure you remember him as our president, do you remember how badly he screwed things up? He's desperately trying to build a legacy (come to think of it, not unlike the most recent Democrat in the White House) and is only embarrassing the U.S. once again.

I also went active duty during the Carter administration and it was NOT pretty. When Ronald Reagan became President (at the time I was NOT happy about that either) everything changed, seemingly over night. I learned a LOT during that time that usually (no, not always, just USUALLY) a liberal will make a MAJOR mess of things and it takes a conservative to straighten it out.

PLEASE!!! DON'T LET CARTER ANYWHERE NEAR THIS THING!!! Look what he's done for North Korea! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

though jimmy carter was not imho a good president, i don't think you can call him "smart as bait." :rolleyes:

i wouldn't even reserve that for our current president. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter