Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2020

Not me. If it’s on, I’m going! I’d expect to maybe mask up in the corrals but after that things spread out enough.

Agreed - if they have it, I'm there. Just received an email today cancelling a race that was my last chance for a decent POT - not unexpected, but still disappointing.

Even if they don’t as locals who have been essential workers through everything we may still make a staycation of things depending on the state of the parks in November

Not me. If it’s on, I’m going! I’d expect to maybe mask up in the corrals but after that things spread out enough.

Genuinely asking, but do things actually spread out? This is to be my first race, but in the photos I've seen, I feel like no one is actually "distanced" from each other aside from those maybe in the front. Social distancing seems like it would be hard to achieve for the middle of the pack.

Genuinely asking, but do things actually spread out? This is to be my first race, but in the photos I've seen, I feel like no one is actually "distanced" from each other aside from those maybe in the front. Social distancing seems like it would be hard to achieve for the middle of the pack.

It depends on where you are on the course; it’s not consistent throughout. For example, heading into the Magic Kingdom gates there is a ton of room to spread out. At other points there’s the width of a 2 lane road. It’s definitely not possible to social distance throughout the whole course.

I see, thanks. Interested in seeing what they do with this and what the landscape of everything looks like closer to the decision making deadline. Six months away feels like six years at this point...

It depends on where you are on the course; it’s not consistent throughout. For example, heading into the Magic Kingdom gates there is a ton of room to spread out. At other points there’s the width of a 2 lane road. It’s definitely not possible to social distance throughout the whole course.

Under business as usual conditions, there are certainly bottlenecks and crowded areas. You’re also never going to have absolute social distancing capability in a large race. I think with some creativity there can be a lot of improvements made over what we’re used to seeing. Some that come to mind for the half marathon are:

• Moving W&D’s ~12,000 runners to the ~22-24,000 runner capacity MW/Princess course
  • Bring back the more, smaller corrals that we had in the past
  • Increase the release time between corrals/waves

All of those would have the effect of spreading runners out across the course and reducing potential bottlenecks. They could even go so far as to stage runners onto transportation to further lessen staging area congestion. Runners in Corrals A-C have to be on buses between 3:00 and 3:30, D-F on buses between 3:30 and 4:00 and so on. It all depends on how much more time and effort RunDisney is willing to put in to ensure there’s a race.

Under business as usual conditions, there are certainly bottlenecks and crowded areas. You’re also never going to have absolute social distancing capability in a large race. I think with some creativity there can be a lot of improvements made over what we’re used to seeing. Some that come to mind for the half marathon are:

• Moving W&D’s ~12,000 runners to the ~22-24,000 runner capacity MW/Princess course
  • Bring back the more, smaller corrals that we had in the past
  • Increase the release time between corrals/waves

All of those would have the effect of spreading runners out across the course and reducing potential bottlenecks. They could even go so far as to stage runners onto transportation to further lessen staging area congestion. Runners in Corrals A-C have to be on buses between 3:00 and 3:30, D-F on buses between 3:30 and 4:00 and so on. It all depends on how much more time and effort RunDisney is willing to put in to ensure there’s a race.
I really hope they don’t change courses. I absolutely hate the Princess course and I signed up for this race because it was different. My first half was the Dark Side half and I fell in love with that route!!

I really hope they don’t change courses. I absolutely hate the Princess course and I signed up for this race because it was different. My first half was the Dark Side half and I fell in love with that route!!

There has been no indication that they’re considering changing the course. It’s pure speculation on my part that they might think about it as part of increasing spacing for runners. I haven’t had opportunity to run the SW/W&D course yet and was looking forward to it this year. If It came down to it, though, I’d rather them switch the course if it allowed the weekend to be run versus it being cancelled.

There has been no indication that they’re considering changing the course. It’s pure speculation on my part that they might think about it as part of increasing spacing for runners. I haven’t had opportunity to run the SW/W&D course yet and was looking forward to it this year. If It came down to it, though, I’d rather them switch the course if it allowed the weekend to be run versus it being cancelled.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see it moved as a dress rehearsal for marathon weekend. The Wine & Dine numbers probably aren’t too far off from where they’ve reduced capacity to for January.

I think @camaker 's guess is a good one. For a contrarian guess, could runDisney redo the corrals in the TTC to be more like the Marathon corrals? Ideally, they could stretch them out like Marathon weekend but without the 5 mile (OK so I exaggerate a bit) walk from bag check to the corrals.

I think @camaker 's guess is a good one. For a contrarian guess, could runDisney redo the corrals in the TTC to be more like the Marathon corrals? Ideally, they could stretch them out like Marathon weekend but without the 5 mile (OK so I exaggerate a bit) walk from bag check to the corrals.
They could if they don’t need the parking. Obviously if the parks are still limited capacity come November, less parking will be needed but MK has always been one that needs the parking space in the past.

Hi all! Regarding getting a POT before the deadline, it turns out that there is a possibility that a VERY small half marathon in July in the Dallas area may still happen. There's currently only room for 7 additional runners. It's chip-timed, on a USATF-certified course, and the results will be available online, so if it actually does happen I think it should be fine for POT purposes.

Again, not 100% sure it will happen, but everything looks pretty good so far. If there are 7 runners in the Dallas area still interested in getting in a POT race, feel free to message me directly.

I got an email that registration for the Army Ten Miler in DC/VA, which was supposed to start yesterday, is postponed. However, the race isn't cancelled. So they're still taking a wait-and-see stance. That race has about 20,000 runners, so it's roughly comparable to W&D. It's a month before W&D. I think all the big races (Marine Corps, NY) are waiting to see if the rescheduled Boston Marathon goes forward in September.

In my mind right now I'm seeing my local fall races at a 50% of happening and my destination fall races at a 30% but it's only May we have a long way to go

Hi all! Regarding getting a POT before the deadline, it turns out that there is a possibility that a VERY small half marathon in July in the Dallas area may still happen. There's currently only room for 7 additional runners. It's chip-timed, on a USATF-certified course, and the results will be available online, so if it actually does happen I think it should be fine for POT purposes.

Again, not 100% sure it will happen, but everything looks pretty good so far. If there are 7 runners in the Dallas area still interested in getting in a POT race, feel free to message me directly.

Because nothing says PR conditions like Dallas in July 😆

There's a Mickey's Christmas Party the night of the race. Has anybody ever done both the Christmas Party and post-race party?

There's a Mickey's Christmas Party the night of the race. Has anybody ever done both the Christmas Party and post-race party?
It’s not something I would attempt. I’m sure someone has done it. That would seem a waste of money to me because you’re leaving the Christmas party early and not getting the full benefits of paying for that.

I got an email that registration for the Army Ten Miler in DC/VA, which was supposed to start yesterday, is postponed. However, the race isn't cancelled. So they're still taking a wait-and-see stance. That race has about 20,000 runners, so it's roughly comparable to W&D. It's a month before W&D. I think all the big races (Marine Corps, NY) are waiting to see if the rescheduled Boston Marathon goes forward in September.

I was planning to run the Annapolis 10 miler at the end of August and that one is officially cancelled, unfortunately.

If you are in Corral A and possibly B, yes. Anywhere further back I don't think it does. I did the 10K and half in 2018 and was supposed to be in A for both. For the 10K I was in A and after the first half mile I was never in a crowd any bigger than your normal small race at home. There were stretches I probably didn't have another human withing 50 feet of me in any direction. The Half was a different story. I was in the port-o-potty and got to the corral too late so I had to start in C instead of A. Even though I was able to do my normal pace after the first mile, meaning it wasn't wall to wall people, I was weaving the entire race really until the Boardwalk when I finally had some breathing room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter