Official Wine & Dine 2018

I'm considering a stay at the Dolphin this time. Is there transportation to the expo and races from the Swan/Dolphin?

For all you runDisney veterans out there, if you have friends/family who are coming to cheer you on at the finish but who have not purchased the ChEAR Squad, can they keep you company in the finisher area while you collect your medals, bags, food and take photos or are they kept out of that area? Thanks!

For all you runDisney veterans out there, if you have friends/family who are coming to cheer you on at the finish but who have not purchased the ChEAR Squad, can they keep you company in the finisher area while you collect your medals, bags, food and take photos or are they kept out of that area? Thanks!

No they can’t access where the medals, food, etc are. Once you get all that and go through the bag checks tents, there will be a meet up areas for family and friends.

Croach is correct that they can't access the medal/picture/food box area, but they can sit in public bleachers (if there is room) that sit at the finish line next to the paid chear squad. My wife has watched me finish from these free bleachers the last two years and then walked 50 yards to where the finishers leave the corral area to meet me. Also, remember they can track you on their phones if they download the app ahead of time.

No they can’t access where the medals, food, etc are. Once you get all that and go through the bag checks tents, there will be a meet up areas for family and friends.

That goes for all non-runners, including chEAR squad. Only runners are allowed in the finish area (medals, food, medical).

In fact, there's not much reason to "keep you company in the finisher area". The volunteers are pretty "spirited" (rightly so) at keeping everybody moving from the immediate Finish line in order to keep the Finish line from getting congested. I've seen other races where the Finish line gets backed-up. That's the worst!

They used to be pretty aggressive in the post-food / pre-bag check area too until a few years ago. I remember about four years ago stretching before I went to get my bag check (but after food) and a volunteer telling me to either go to medical or hit the road because they weren't allowed to let people stop. That was a little crazy but they've since relaxed a bit. I'd prefer to stretch and cool down before meeting people in the "Reuniting" area.

If you have a Garmin you can use Live Tracking in the Garmin app and send the link to family/friends. That’s what my DH will use to track me. We did it for Princess and it worked well.

This quote is from this year's marathon weekend but should apply to the W&D..."Family and friends will be able to track participants with live online runner tracking for the Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K. Participants will also have the opportunity to send split times via email, text message and social media by registering for this service on the event website approximately one week before the event. You can also sign up for runner tracking at the Expo."

As others have said you can track in several ways. Using runDisney you can get periodic text messages as a runner crosses timing mats. I believe you can also get "real-time estimates" on the web site showing where you are on the course. It is also based on the timing mats so it estimates where you are probably assuming steady average pace since the last mat time. I don't remember how many split times there were.

Last year my wife was in the stands getting the texts when my daughter called her from school telling her where I was, e.g. "he's just entering Epcot"

Keels.....is this your understanding as well?

This quote is from this year's marathon weekend but should apply to the W&D..."Family and friends will be able to track participants with live online runner tracking for the Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K. Participants will also have the opportunity to send split times via email, text message and social media by registering for this service on the event website approximately one week before the event. You can also sign up for runner tracking at the Expo."

As others have said you can track in several ways. Using runDisney you can get periodic text messages as a runner crosses timing mats. I believe you can also get "real-time estimates" on the web site showing where you are on the course. It is also based on the timing mats so it estimates where you are probably assuming steady average pace since the last mat time. I don't remember how many split times there were.

Last year my wife was in the stands getting the texts when my daughter called her from school telling her where I was, e.g. "he's just entering Epcot"

Keels.....is this your understanding as well?

Yeah - the alerts only go out and the map only adjusts after you pass certain mats ... I've stopped paying attention and actually tracking myself these days, but I wanna say its 5K-10K-10 Miles-Finish? Is that right? Something like that.

Yeah - the alerts only go out and the map only adjusts after you pass certain mats ... I've stopped paying attention and actually tracking myself these days, but I wanna say its 5K-10K-10 Miles-Finish? Is that right? Something like that.

I just tracked a couple friends running Princess and got an update when they started and then 5K, 10K, 15K, finish. So pretty much what Keels said. I just have kept the runDisney tracking texts because I track myself at my races too.

I'm back in for my 3rd W&D 5k, and I'm bringing friends this time! I've only run solo before (last year a friend signed up but had to back out), so while I'm super excited to share the runDisney fun (photo ops and costumes!!) I'm a little unsure too. There will be 3 of us, ranging from age ~30 to ~60, and we won't be able to train together as we're coming from all across the country. It'll be their first 5k & first Disney run, so I keep emphasizing that this is for FUN, not timing. (I joke that the only way to get me to run is to put Mickey at the finish line!) I've passed along all of the advice I received from you guys & other runDisney runners for starting out. We're all aiming to train at roughly the same pace and I'm encouraging the run/walk pacing since it's their first time.

I'm looking for tips from those of you who've done both solo & buddy runs. Are there any differences that you didn't expect? Any other tips?
(I'm also experiencing FOMO for my usual solo run experience, so I'm seriously considering adding the 10k since my TA still has bibs available. Help talk me out of it?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter