'Ohana dinner experience.

jwrentzel

Earning My Ears
I know a couple of times there has been mention on the podcast about 'Ohana becoming a rather rushed experience for dinner. Is this still a pretty common experience or are things a little bit better now that people have started complaining about it? I go in August so I am coming up on our reservation window and am wondering if it is going to be worthwhile to get a reservation here. We have never done dinner here and would love to go on our last night, but I don't want to end up with a terrible experience.

If I am being rushed, I don't even notice because I am usually starving by the time I get to my 'Ohana res. And they ALWAYS make you wait some after your ADR time. So please.. drop the salad and apps ASAP.
Ha ha. I do agree with this. They are quick to get food on your table and I think some people may mistake that for being rushed, but it's not like you need time to peruse the menu. They never make us feel like we need to vacate the table quickly. They just don't leave us sitting there hungry.

The last 2 times we were there the service was great. Last year we went they did try to rush it but we then took control of the pace and slowed the service down . They don't tell you to leave so we just ate at our pace and asked for more food when we needed it. The food never disappoints.

Was there last week and did not feel rushed at all. We were seated within 5 minutes of our ADR.

They follow the same process as any AYCE, single-menu restaurant on property. The dishes are made on a continuous basis so they get to your table not long after you are seated. It’s not a restaurant where you can expect to take a cocktail and talk for a while before the first appetizer arrives. If that’s something one is looking for, there‘s a lounge right there to accommodate you. Once you are seated at the table, they expect you to enjoy a meal.

We went for the first time in October, after having cancelled in the past due to bad reviews. Party of 6, we went for one of my daughter's birthdays, didn't wait any bit past our res time, and had a great server who was super helpful in picking drinks and replenishing the food. I look forward to going back.

I don't think it's rushed, but it is fast paced. It doesn't really affect you though - just decline more food until you're ready.

I'm the slowest eater on the planet, so I could see how the constant people coming over could feel that way. You decline the chicken server, then here comes the shrimp server, then the steak. It's constant, but I've never felt like they were trying to get me out.

We eat there for dinner twice every trip and out of 10 meals they tried to rush me exactly once. I go h*** on this board for what I did, I asked 3 times nicely for them to slow down. Then I showed them what Marine Command Voice sounds like, they slowed down. Great place to eat at. Next trip the girls want 2 dinners and 1 breakfast.

Some of the wait staff does move quickly, but how long you stay is up to you. If they ever slip in unnoticed while you are lost in conversation and remove something you really wanted more of, just ask and they will bring it.

So the restaurant can feel fast paced, but don’t feel you have to conduct your meal that way. I am sure we were there over two hours the last time, maybe more.

We went for dinner the week before Christmas and didn't feel rushed at all. The tables on either side of us sat down around the same time we did and we all finished about the same time. Sometimes they will offer skewers frequently, but it wasn't overbearing.

We went earlier this month. Definitely not rushed but the food was very mediocre. Not going back.

Keep in mind it is family style dining. Most of the food will come out close together but you are expected to eat and sit as long as you’d like while they refill items as requested.

Our party of 11 had zero complaints with our service last summer.

Our first visit to Ohana we did feel rushed, so on our next visit I politely told our server straight up that we wanted to pace ourselves and enjoy the meal. She was completely kewl with that and said she would tell the servers and we got to enjoy a wonderful (if over indulgent 😁) meal and at a slower pace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter