Ohana/picky eater in party-can they order from a diff. menu?

fiddler923

Earning My Ears
I am anxious to try Ohana. We have a picky eater in our group who is hesitating at a $25+ pricetag for food they may not be able to eat. Does anyone know if another menu is available or a non-dining option? TIA :D

Bummer, not what I want to hear! I really want to try it and don't want to have to split up.

Only the kids can order from the childrens menu at Ohana. Adults have to get the AYCE meal. Does the picky eater eat steak, pork, turkey, or shrimp? How about salad to chicken wings? There is still quite a bit for even a picky eater to have unless he only eats hot dogs or tenders.

No shot at ordering off the Kona Cafe menu it sounds like...... Anyone else have a tip? Meat isn't a problem w/this eater, they just require a very bland diet. No salad, none of the marinades.........

fiddler923 said:
No shot at ordering off the Kona Cafe menu it sounds like...... Anyone else have a tip? Meat isn't a problem w/this eater, they just require a very bland diet. No salad, none of the marinades.........
Well the childrens selections do come from Kona's just that the adults can't get it. The meats come with dipping sauces so he can dip if he wants to. The steak, turkey, and pork really don't have any marinade flavors by themselves. The shrimp are very tasty with a spicy marinade on them.

You can ask for the meats to be cooked without any spices/marinades. The chefs are very accomodating.

I was wondering about this same thing. My picky eater would be a 12 year old child. I believe he will be too old for the children's menu and although he likes steak, turkey and chicken wings, he likes them plain without sauces. Does any one know if he could get the chicken wings plain without the sauce that they put on them or are they already dipped in the sauce? He only likes them plain or real buffalo hot sauce on them.

fiddler: I do hope it works out for you and you get to try Ohana's. This would be out first time there and I am looking forward to trying it myself. D

When we were there in July, my daughters could have got a hot dog or chicken tenders with fries. All you have to do is ask the server.

lovmy2girls said:
When we were there in July, my daughters could have got a hot dog or chicken tenders with fries. All you have to do is ask the server.
Yes we know this but the OP is talking about a picky eater that is an adult. I don't believe an adult will be able to order a child's meal.

Is there a child in the party? Have them order off the kids menu and give it to the adult. My DS ordered off the kids menu and wound up eating the adult food anyway. We were only charged for the kids meal for him.

skiwee1,

I don't know what restaurant you were eating at, because ALL the meat at Ohana is heavily spiced or marinated (and I like spiced food). The steak very definitely is heavily marinated and spiced, either the turkey or the pork comes slathered in barbecue sauce and the other is spiced and smoky. The shrimp are chili encrusted and barbecued. I agree with the suggestion to get a blander version cooked--they tend to be very accomodating.

We found the meat to be very tastey but not overly spiced. My DS is quite picky and he ate a LOT. The wings are kind of tangy but not overy so. The bread is awsome. The meat and bread would make a meal. You can ask that they prepare the grilled meats with less seasoning if you like. Most people that eat meat should be fine. I think they would let a 12 year old order off the kids menu. DS is 12 and most places ask if he wants a kid or regular menu!

Jordan's mom

Doctor P said:
skiwee1,

I don't know what restaurant you were eating at, because ALL the meat at Ohana is heavily spiced or marinated (and I like spiced food). The steak very definitely is heavily marinated and spiced, either the turkey or the pork comes slathered in barbecue sauce and the other is spiced and smoky. The shrimp are chili encrusted and barbecued. I agree with the suggestion to get a blander version cooked--they tend to be very accomodating.
I've eaten at Ohana probably 15 times and do not think any of the meats are spicy except the shrimp and the wings. The beef, turkey, and pork only tasted grilled to me and actually needed the dipping sauces provided. The meats have always been on the dry side with no sauce at all. I do not like spicy food at all and have found Ohana to be very good.

skiwee1 said:
I've eaten at Ohana probably 15 times and do not think any of the meats are spicy except the shrimp and the wings. The beef, turkey, and pork only tasted grilled to me and actually needed the dipping sauces provided. The meats have always been on the dry side with no sauce at all. I do not like spicy food at all and have found Ohana to be very good.

Yeah, there was no sauce or spices on the meats we had at 'Ohana- definitly not bbq sauce. They just taste like grilled meat and you can dip them in sauce if you want. I can't imagine and adult who couldn't find something they liked at Ohana.

Ilovestitch said:
Yeah, there was no sauce or spices on the meats we had at 'Ohana- definitly not bbq sauce. They just taste like grilled meat and you can dip them in sauce if you want. I can't imagine and adult who couldn't find something they liked at Ohana.

Thank you. I knew I had never encountered any sauce smothering the meats at Ohana. I thought perhaps, after going all those times, that I was missing something. All this talk is reall making me hungry for those shrimp and wontons though!

jpmom97 said:
Is there a child in the party? Have them order off the kids menu and give it to the adult. My DS ordered off the kids menu and wound up eating the adult food anyway. We were only charged for the kids meal for him.

Yes! A 5yo, this is not a bad idea............. But then adult would prob pay adult price still? Oh well.

fiddler923 said:
Yes! A 5yo, this is not a bad idea............. But then adult would prob pay adult price still? Oh well.

Yep. Don't know any chicken tenders worth $25.99 though! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter