OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

2 bedroom. The photos are of the two queens and bathroom in the second bedroom. I was pretty sure I took pictures of the master bedroom and the corner whirlpool tub but alas could not find on my phone.

Iam considering a 2 bedroom cash reservation through DIsney for December. My daughter is on the fence about the sleep surfaces. We will have 7 people. Was the villa spacious and how was the sleep sofa? We are now booked at the BC, however I have been forewarned we may need to change resorts if FD drops and am doing my research now. My family hated CBR due to the size and the bus situation, so DD is concerned that the size of this resort may be an issue.

None of the DVC sleeper sofas are that comfortable. Just a thinner three section pad on a platform. Same with the twin sized sleeper chair, but it tends to be a bit more comfortable. You'd have one king bed, two queen beds, one queen sleeper sofa and one twin sized sleeper chair (and the chair is too heavy and wide to move from the living room). OKW has the largest two bedroom villas of all the DVC villas. The porch is very large, not just a balcony. It has a door from the master bedroom and from the living room. If you get a dedicated two bedroom there won't be a porch off the second bedroom, but it will have a very large closet, plus a second sink outside the bathroom (no kitchenette in the second bedroom for dedicated). It will have both the sleeper sofa, twin sized sleeper chair and a love seat (that doesn't convert to a bed at all). OKW is a large resort with five areas, Millers Road (with a pool), South Point (with a pool), Turtle Pond (with a pool, smaller counter service area), Peninsular Road (no separate pool here, just across the canal and bridge from the Hospitality House) and the Hospitality House area with the larger themed pool, Olivia's, Goods to Go, the General Store, Gurgling Suitcase. You can hop any bus and get back to the Hospitality House. You can walk across the bridge to Peninsular Road and catch a bus back to the other areas. You are only about a ten minute walk from any area to the Hospitality House. You also have full sized washer and dryer (not stackables) and the larger kitchen and dining room.

None of the DVC sleeper sofas are that comfortable. Just a thinner three section pad on a platform. Same with the twin sized sleeper chair, but it tends to be a bit more comfortable. You'd have one king bed, two queen beds, one queen sleeper sofa and one twin sized sleeper chair (and the chair is too heavy and wide to move from the living room). OKW has the largest two bedroom villas of all the DVC villas. The porch is very large, not just a balcony. It has a door from the master bedroom and from the living room. If you get a dedicated two bedroom there won't be a porch off the second bedroom, but it will have a very large closet, plus a second sink outside the bathroom (no kitchenette in the second bedroom for dedicated). It will have both the sleeper sofa, twin sized sleeper chair and a love seat (that doesn't convert to a bed at all). OKW is a large resort with five areas, Millers Road (with a pool), South Point (with a pool), Turtle Pond (with a pool, smaller counter service area), Peninsular Road (no separate pool here, just across the canal and bridge from the Hospitality House) and the Hospitality House area with the larger themed pool, Olivia's, Goods to Go, the General Store, Gurgling Suitcase. You can hop any bus and get back to the Hospitality House. You can walk across the bridge to Peninsular Road and catch a bus back to the other areas. You are only about a ten minute walk from any area to the Hospitality House. You also have full sized washer and dryer (not stackables) and the larger kitchen and dining room.

Stop telling everyone how nice it is.

I called her yesterday and asked her to look at the resort. This trip is a gift to my nieces for their wedding present so we told them to choose any resort. My DH was shocked they wanted the BC, he still thinks you are not at WDW if you are not on the monorail line. Anyway, I booked the rooms for our family, however yesterday a CM advised me that I might need to change resorts to the YC if I wanted FD, and I do. My DD is not dog friendly, adn evne the thought has her over the edge, so I need a back up plan. This resort looks really awesome, and since I have always wanted to stay here this is my plan. Our dates are set in stone, so I really want to make the cost remain in line with my comfort level by finding a decent discount.

Do any of you know if historically, FD was available for the 2 bedroom on a cash reservation?

If a Free Dining promo for cash guests is offered, it is normally also available to those paying cash for a DVC villa unit. But remember, Free Dining usually requires a non-discounted full rate reservation, and there may be options that are cheaper overall.

If a Free Dining promo for cash guests is offered, it is normally also available to those paying cash for a DVC villa unit. But remember, Free Dining usually requires a non-discounted full rate reservation, and there may be options that are cheaper overall.

Boy do I know it! My dd is helping me tomorrow build a spreadsheet so we can make the best decision. I have not seen a ro discount offered yet.

Boy do I know it! My dd is helping me tomorrow build a spreadsheet so we can make the best decision. I have not seen a ro discount offered yet.
Check and see if it would be cheaper to purchase an annual pass for one of the girls in the room, and getting an AP discount on the room. Not always, but worth including in your spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Okay, so after remaining up all night I scored a 2 bedroom villa at OKW> I still need to let the BC go, however I coudl nto get through at all today!

Anyway, we saved the cost of dining and with seven adults that is a substantial savings, and the total cost of the villa was about a grand less than the two rooms at BC. I cannot complain at all. The cost was well within the budget I had hoped to remain within, but was not sure I could. WIth more space than I have ever had for my crew in DIsney, I am really happy.

So now to the good part: I need help. I have no experience at all with this resort. I want to be able to make an intelligent request but have no idea where to even start.

I know that there has been some construction, but it seems like that started at the outer reaches of the resort, unless I got as lost on the resort map as I do everywhere else. Is is worth it to request a renovated building? I love the idea of a patio, but have no idea if I can request first floor. Our favorite stay was at the Poly when we were not granted a balcony....that patio was a gift!

I also keep seeing the differences in 2 bedrooms villas, but because I have no experience with DVC properties, or DVC speak, I am not sure what the differences are or if I should even worry about hem in regards to preferences in lodging.

Any suggestions, or tips, or things I should make my family aware of will be much appreciated. My girls are all different and are lookign at this resort amenities differently. My DD and DGD are thrilled about the games and game room. My niece very athletic and will run run run on the paths and her wife is laid back and looking at the pools, and places to relax. Both have very intense jobs, and need the rest IMO. Deb is a VT state trooper and Jenna is a game warden, coming off of hunting season. I want this to be a wonderful respite for them. (Jenna's first trip so it has to be awesome, right????
My DH is just along for the ride, loving every minute with "his" girls, and my DSIl has just complained tha I "held out on him" when he saw Olivia's menu. LOL!

Well first off ALL units at OKW have a patio or balcony, no matter the location or floor. Some of the nicer water views are in bldgs 45, 46, and 55. Bldg 34 and 35 have nice golf course views. It is unlikely you will receive a room in bldgs in the 23 to 26 cluster, or 11 to 14 near Hospitality buildings, as those are in a booking category specific to DVC reservations. If you want to be close to the main pool area, buildings 15, 16, 62, 63 and 64 are nice alternatives to the near Hospitality category. However, buildings 62, 63 and 64 are the only buildings with elevators and are often used for those with mobility issues. The rest of the resort was built prior to changes in the ADA which required elevators. However, the stairs at OKW are a gentle rise of 1/2 flight, a landing, and another half flight...not a difficult climb for a healthy individual of any age. The game room, sadly, is pretty small. But there are some great childrens activities available at the community hall in the main pool area, see the paperwork/news flyer you receive at check-in for info on activities. There is also a movie, weather permitting, projected onto an inflatable screen in the main pool area at night, weather permitting. All the pools have childrens play areas and jacuzzi tub for the adults. Also, located in the base of the lighthouse by the main pool, is a sauna. Olivia's is, IMO, one of the best family friendly dining choices at WDW, and being connected to Disney Springs by watercraft gives additional family dining options. The only real differences in two bedroom units at OKW is that buildings 11 to 29 will have only one entrance to the master bathroom, if anyone is sleeping on a fold out in the the living room. That entrance is through the master bedroom. Buildings 30 and above have an additional entrance to the master bath through the laundry room. OKW has full household size washer dryers in every one bedroom and larger unit, On a cash reservation, they should provide you with laundry detergent along with your daily housekeeping. The dining room table will seat 4 people, and if you prefer to dine al fresco, there will be (assuming it hasn't changed with the rehab) an additional table with four chairs on your balcony/patio. If you are placed in a two bedroom lockoff vs a dedicated two bedroom, the 2nd bedroom will have its own small balcony, and a kitchenette. Dedicated two bedrooms will not have the small balcony, and will have additional closet space instead of the kitchenette.

There will be a large jetted tub in the master bathroom, along with a dedicated stall shower, and of course, toilet and wash basins. Sleeping areas will include 1 king bed in the master suite, a queen size fold away couch in the living room, a single size fold away sleeper chair in the living room, and two queen beds in the 2nd bedroom or lockoff studio. There is a full service bar, Gurgling Suitcase, behind Olivia's in the main pool area. Surrey bikes can be rented from Hank's Rent and Return in the main pool area. Like most Disney deluxe class resorts, the offerings for counter service at Good's to Go snack bar are OK, but quite limited in selection.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy OKW.

Last edited:
Well first off ALL units at OKW have a patio or balcony, no matter the location or floor. Some of the nicer water views are in bldgs 45, 46, and 55. Bldg 34 and 35 have nice golf course views. It is unlikely you will receive a room in bldgs in the 23 to 26 cluster, or 11 to 14 near Hospitality buildings, as those are in a booking category specific to DVC reservations. If you want to be close to the main pool area, buildings 15, 16, 62, 63 and 64 are nice alternatives to the near Hospitality category. However, buildings 62, 63 and 64 are the only buildings with elevators and are often used for those with mobility issues. The rest of the resort was built prior to changes in the ADA which required elevators. However, the stairs at OKW are a gentle rise of 1/2 flight, a landing, and another half flight...not a difficult climb for a healthy individual of any age. The game room, sadly, is pretty small. But there are some great childrens activities available at the community hall in the main pool area, see the paperwork/news flyer you receive at check-in for info on activities. There is also a movie, weather permitting, projected onto an inflatable screen in the main pool area at night, weather permitting. All the pools have childrens play areas and jacuzzi tub for the adults. Also, located in the base of the lighthouse by the main pool, is a sauna. Olivia's is, IMO, one of the best family friendly dining choices at WDW, and being connected to Disney Springs by watercraft gives additional family dining options. The only real differences in two bedroom units at OKW is that buildings 11 to 29 will have only one entrance to the master bathroom, if anyone is sleeping on a fold out in the the living room. That entrance is through the master bedroom. Buildings 30 and above have an additional entrance to the master bath through the laundry room. OKW has full household size washer dryers in every one bedroom and larger unit, On a cash reservation, they should provide you with laundry detergent along with your daily housekeeping. The dining room table will seat 4 people, and if you prefer to dine al fresco, there will be (assuming it hasn't changed with the rehab) an additional table with four chairs on your balcony/patio. If you are placed in a two bedroom lockoff vs a dedicated two bedroom, the 2nd bedroom will have its own small balcony, and a kitchenette. Dedicated two bedrooms will not have the small balcony, and will have additional closet space instead of the kitchenette.

There will be a large jetted tub in the master bathroom, along with a dedicated stall shower, and of course, toilet and wash basins. Sleeping areas will include 1 king bed in the master suite, a queen size fold away couch in the living room, a single size fold away sleeper chair in the living room, and two queen beds in the 2nd bedroom or lockoff studio. There is a full service bar, Gurgling Suitcase, behind Olivia's in the main pool area. Surrey bikes can be rented from Hank's Rent and Return in the main pool area. Like most Disney deluxe class resorts, the offerings for counter service at Good's to Go snack bar are OK, but quite limited in selection.

Thsnk you! That's a lot of info and I sure do appreciate your help!

Also, if you are in a building a bit far from the main pool area, you can hop on any park bus to take you up there, it is the last stop prior to exiting the resort. To return to your room, walk across the bridge and board any bus at the Peninsular Road bus stop, it is the first stop within the resort.

Okay, so after remaining up all night I scored a 2 bedroom villa at OKW> I still need to let the BC go, however I coudl nto get through at all today!

Anyway, we saved the cost of dining and with seven adults that is a substantial savings, and the total cost of the villa was about a grand less than the two rooms at BC. I cannot complain at all. The cost was well within the budget I had hoped to remain within, but was not sure I could. WIth more space than I have ever had for my crew in DIsney, I am really happy.

So now to the good part: I need help. I have no experience at all with this resort. I want to be able to make an intelligent request but have no idea where to even start.

I know that there has been some construction, but it seems like that started at the outer reaches of the resort, unless I got as lost on the resort map as I do everywhere else. Is is worth it to request a renovated building? I love the idea of a patio, but have no idea if I can request first floor. Our favorite stay was at the Poly when we were not granted a balcony....that patio was a gift!

I also keep seeing the differences in 2 bedrooms villas, but because I have no experience with DVC properties, or DVC speak, I am not sure what the differences are or if I should even worry about hem in regards to preferences in lodging.

Any suggestions, or tips, or things I should make my family aware of will be much appreciated. My girls are all different and are lookign at this resort amenities differently. My DD and DGD are thrilled about the games and game room. My niece very athletic and will run run run on the paths and her wife is laid back and looking at the pools, and places to relax. Both have very intense jobs, and need the rest IMO. Deb is a VT state trooper and Jenna is a game warden, coming off of hunting season. I want this to be a wonderful respite for them. (Jenna's first trip so it has to be awesome, right????
My DH is just along for the ride, loving every minute with "his" girls, and my DSIl has just complained tha I "held out on him" when he saw Olivia's menu. LOL!
Just be aware that OKW villas don't have patios. All the porches, no matter what floor, are enclosed. There is a railing around every porch at OKW. Patios are usually open on all sides, but surrounded by shrubbery so you can't wander off the patio.

By December, more buildings should be renovated, but Dec, especially the first week is very popular with members and owners. So you might not get one of the renovated units. That really isn't a problem though since I've never found any unit to be in disrepair at OKW and we've stayed there more than 20 times. Renovations aren't expected to be completed until later on in 2019.

The Southernmost Buttermilk Fried Chicken at Olivia's is excellent. Boneless chicken breast with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and a vegetable. We really enjoy their breakfast, too.

Be aware that the walking path from OKW to Disney Springs isn't lit when it is dark, so they won't be walking/running on that path during other than lighted hours. And you have to stay off the cart paths, too. No pedestrians other than golfers on the cart paths.

Just be aware that OKW villas don't have patios. All the porches, no matter what floor, are enclosed. There is a railing around every porch at OKW. Patios are usually open on all sides, but surrounded by shrubbery so you can't wander off the patio.

By December, more buildings should be renovated, but Dec, especially the first week is very popular with members and owners. So you might not get one of the renovated units. That really isn't a problem though since I've never found any unit to be in disrepair at OKW and we've stayed there more than 20 times. Renovations aren't expected to be completed until later on in 2019.

The Southernmost Buttermilk Fried Chicken at Olivia's is excellent. Boneless chicken breast with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and a vegetable. We really enjoy their breakfast, too.

Be aware that the walking path from OKW to Disney Springs isn't lit when it is dark, so they won't be walking/running on that path during other than lighted hours. And you have to stay off the cart paths, too. No pedestrians other than golfers on the cart paths.

A renovated room is not that important to me, especially since I have never been in any Disney resort that was in disrepair. I made the mistake of going to TripAdvisor and saw that there were very few negative reviews about the resort in general, however the one common one that appeared was the bus service. Have you veterans noticed that is is a problem? I admit that this is my only reservation about staying here. I have never minded bus waits that run 20 minutes or so, but much longer on a regular basis and my family will be freaking out! Not me, I will have a book.

I know that the units are for members but I hope that in the event I have a request, and because I am so unfamiliar, so far I do not, I hope it is at least considered.

Deb is a runner and is also very much into fitness, so I hope she can run at some point while we are there. While we were all looking at pools, transportation, restaurants, she was looking at the fitness centers of every resort, and asking my daughter if she saw this one or that one. DD "Why would I have ever noticed the gym?" LOL!!!

A renovated room is not that important to me, especially since I have never been in any Disney resort that was in disrepair. I made the mistake of going to TripAdvisor and saw that there were very few negative reviews about the resort in general, however the one common one that appeared was the bus service. Have you veterans noticed that is is a problem? I admit that this is my only reservation about staying here. I have never minded bus waits that run 20 minutes or so, but much longer on a regular basis and my family will be freaking out! Not me, I will have a book.

I know that the units are for members but I hope that in the event I have a request, and because I am so unfamiliar, so far I do not, I hope it is at least considered.

Deb is a runner and is also very much into fitness, so I hope she can run at some point while we are there. While we were all looking at pools, transportation, restaurants, she was looking at the fitness centers of every resort, and asking my daughter if she saw this one or that one. DD "Why would I have ever noticed the gym?" LOL!!!
Never had any problems with buses at OKW. They usually run every 20 minutes or so. And we've never had a bus bypass us because it was full.

You'll want to add any requests to your reservation. There aren't many when you do online check in, usually just the village at OKW or higher/lower floor.

The gym isn't much at OKW either sorry to tell you. My husband is a runner and has run several miles at OKW, especially during daylight hours over to SSR and Disney Springs via the path along the Trumbo Canal.

We are very excited! I expected the girls to be more disappointed that I did not secure the BC, but no...they were looking at all the positives of this lovely resort. My girls are adults now and see the water taxi to DS as a huge positive. My DSIL is thrilled about the washer and dryer: he insists on doing laundry during every trip, so while the rest of us relax by the pool, he is washing clothes for his family. I am happy about the tub and he is doing his dance of joy over the washer! LOL!! ANd Olivia's. He wants dinner there, and I have already added it to the list.

Every Disney trip is special in some way, but this one is especially close to my heart. We all often get to experience DIsney through teh eyes of a child, or sometimes an adult who really never got to enjoy a WDW vacation like "us", however this time we are looking forward to experiencing a DIsney trip through the eyes of an adult who has never been. Jenna has only seen Disney on TV or on you tube videos, and is so excited for this trip. My godchild Deb has been a role model for our DGD Kady, showing her how to be a confident and strong young lady who can do anything she sets her mind to, and now Jenna is doing the same for her. Both of these strong young women, Kady's heros, are going to be with us, and we are so excited to just enjoy the three of them.
My DH, who only joins us on occasion, is coming just to be with all "his" girls, so this trip is indeed special. I do think that not getting BC was a gift to us.

Anyway, enough about us. Thank you for all your help and know that I will probably be pestering you all again.

Never had any problems with buses at OKW. They usually run every 20 minutes or so. And we've never had a bus bypass us because it was full.

You'll want to add any requests to your reservation. There aren't many when you do online check in, usually just the village at OKW or higher/lower floor.

The gym isn't much at OKW either sorry to tell you. My husband is a runner and has run several miles at OKW, especially during daylight hours over to SSR and Disney Springs via the path along the Trumbo Canal.

Thank you about the buses!!! This was my only concern, because while I have no issues waiting, I cannot get that CBR trip out of my mind We had just come off of a Poly trip, but chose CBR next because in the end, it all comes down to budget. Holy cow! We went from a resort with multiple travel options to a very widespread resort with what my DD and DSIL insisted were 17 stops! There were not, but boy did they dislike that resort. I did want them all that moving from a monorail resort or an Epcot resort removed at leat one layer of convenience, but they see to be iokay with that, and look at the space we have now, not only in room, but at the resort itself.

I will tell Deb about the paths to SSR and DS. She used to run between POR and POFQ on that last trip she took with us, so having a path she can use will be welcomed.

We have had many problems coming back from the parks and DS. Too many people - not enough buses. Scooters with sometimes large families arriving right before boarding and seated first so while you think you will be getting on that bus, you will not. Wait for next bus, repeat. We found this was a problem whenever we left DS. If possible, we would walk back.

Any resort can experience bus issues either because of a lot of traffic on the roads or occasional bad scheduling. Occasionally I have seen two busses for the same park, especially MK, right behind each other, and then a lengthy delay until they return. This could have been caused by the first bus having several wheelchairs of scooters to load/unload or traffic issues. On my last trip in December, I had no bus issues, and noticed that they added a TV screen with real time anticipated bus arrivals which I assume is GPS based. That helped a LOT. OKW is a large resort, there are 5 bus stops scattered though out the resort, and it can take time for a bus to make the rounds. But the busses for OKW are dedicated, they don't share buses with other resorts, unlike Boardwalk/Swan Dolphin or Contemporary/Poly/ Grand Floridian...so I would say overall that the bus service is no better and no worse than any other Disney resort.

Last edited:
We have had many problems coming back from the parks and DS. Too many people - not enough buses. Scooters with sometimes large families arriving right before boarding and seated first so while you think you will be getting on that bus, you will not. Wait for next bus, repeat. We found this was a problem whenever we left DS. If possible, we would walk back.

Oh dear. We can use cabs for dinners, but back and forth to the parks not so much. I find DS very congested on a good day, so I am not sure I will even bother to go, but the girls will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter