Old Town in San Diego

Grendel

Where ever you go, there you are.
Can anyone tell me what this is like and if they found it enjoyable...
also how much time do you need of you want to look around...

thanks!

It's an interesting area, a bit to look at and a few interactive exhibits (candle making etc.) but it's not the most amazing place I've seen, though it is fun for an afternoon, especially if you're interested in the history of San Diego.

Old Town is both a historical area and a shopping/restaurant district. So there's places to wander around and do museumy-type things, as well as lots of places to shop and eat. The Historic Site is only a couple of blocks square, and I think you can visit all the buildings in a couple of hours, easy. If you're interested in the history of California I think it's worthwhile. Parking can be a hassle, but there's a trolley station in Old Town if you're coming in from someplace else along the trolley line.

Bazaar del Mundo is the big shopping/restaurant area...it changed concessionaires a couple years ago, so I don't know how any of the restaurants are now. There's some other good restaurants in Old Town, though - Old Town Mexican Cafe has really good food, and Casa Guadalajara has decent food, though more along the lines of what you'll find at El Torito or Chevy's.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info...

I've just been informed by my family that no one has an interest in going but me. Apparently its only a dad thing in my families eyes...*sigh*

Boy...going to San Diego and finding stuff to do just got hard. The only thing we are doing for sure is the Zoo and Balboa Park. Sea World, Animal Park and Legoland all have been shot down. I still have two more days to fill!! :)

Be aware that Balboa Park is pretty big, with LOTS of different museums...if you wanted to visit all the different museums you could spend days there! The Zoo itself will take the better part of a day.

What does your family LIKE to do??? There's lots of things I could suggest, like the tour of the Midway aircraft carrier or a harbor cruise, or hiking in Torrey Pines State Park, but those may be of no interest to your family at all. When will you be here? During the summer when a trip to the beach might be in order?

Be aware that Balboa Park is pretty big, with LOTS of different museums...if you wanted to visit all the different museums you could spend days there! The Zoo itself will take the better part of a day.

What does your family LIKE to do??? There's lots of things I could suggest, like the tour of the Midway aircraft carrier or a harbor cruise, or hiking in Torrey Pines State Park, but those may be of no interest to your family at all. When will you be here? During the summer when a trip to the beach might be in order?

thanks again for the advice..

i like to do everything..so im easy..
DW likes scenic views and nature..so i think torrey pines is a must
everyone loves the beach..it will be cold..well..not hot ..so no swimming...but a nice walk with shells on the beach would be nice...ive been looking up tons of different beaches..if you have one you recomment let me know..i was thining of coronado..
i love museums...but im pretty much the only one...DD10 could be convinced..but not the others..

any other unique nature things would be cool...
ive thought about the seal boats...but...we have them on the east coast too...so it might not be much of a novelty...

suggest away..its all welcome.. :)

oh..and were there this weekend!!!!!!!

and had fun near the Del Coronado Hotel at the beach near there. We like to play on the beach looking for shells, and building stuff.

Old Town was ok, we only had dinner there, just not enough interest for us.

Another fun thing is the Maritime Museum. The ship used in Master & Commander with Russell Crowe is there as is a Soviet Sub. Kind of a fun way to spend some time and there are some fun seafood restaurants around. Also the aircraft carrier the Midway is down there too, you can tour that.

Have fun.

Why not take a harbor cruise of San Diego Bay, or rent boats on Mission Bay? There are all types of boats (with or without motors).

great suggestions everyone..

we like boating..

some of my family dont like it being windy and cold..so that would be the only issue...if its 60 with a strong wind....but...i think ill stick that one in my back pocket!!

thanks..

great suggestions everyone..

we like boating..

some of my family dont like it being windy and cold..so that would be the only issue...if its 60 with a strong wind....but...i think ill stick that one in my back pocket!!

thanks..

Mission Bay is an inland bay (more like a gigantic lake), not an ocean. I don't think it will be windy and cold.

We go to San Diego from Anaheim 2-3 times a year; here are a few things that we always enjoy doing.

The U.S.S. Midway tour

http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=coIMKTMCF&b=81432

We have actually done this twice and my wife and two daughters (18, 22) really enjoyed it.

Harbor cruise

http://www.sdhe.com/

Also very enjoyable and relaxing

There is Seaport Village

http://gothere.com/sandiego/seaport/

Lots of shops and restaurants, in the summer evening they have free concerts

And for good food and some Hollywood Star appeal you can go to the Kansas City Barbecue.

http://www.kcbbq.net/

This it the restaurant that was used in one of the scenes from the movie “Top Gun”
Where they are sitting inside a restaurant and “Goose” is playing the piano.
Lots of movie memorabilia on the walls.

Don’t be scared off by its appearance; it is a bar on one side a eating area on the other.
The food was very good, I would compare it to a “Cheers” that’s a little ruff around the edges.

When you walk in you grab your plastic silverware wrapped up in napkins sitting in a box right inside the door

When I asked for a refill of soda the waitress pointed me to the soda machine behind the counter and said “help yourself”

Since you have young children I do need to warn you that in the bar area there are a number of Women’s Support Mechanisms autographed and hanging from the ceiling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter