OMG If this is not Commercial Renter I dont know what is

Looks like an interesting way to service the rental market. I wonder what they really mean as an "associate"? I can't imagine too many people who would add the name of a complete stranger to their contract, assuming that can even be done. I wonder if they just have people transfer them points which in turn are rented out on their behalf, thus making them an "associate".

It is interesting. And given what he says he is doing (helping the avg point owner not waste points) I don't think it can be called a commercial rental business. It is a service for non commercial renters (in theory). I'll bet though that he does want to be an associate on the contract, which I would have a real hard time doing. But then many people trust other people to take care of their financial affairs. Certainly this person would have to be bonded and prove it.

I'm betting he takes $3-$4 a point for the service.

It's easier to do than you might think, and for those hard cases many are of the type they are less likely to worry about.

Ok, enlighten me then. Prove that Mr and Mrs Smith are not family friends.

(proving there is no Eugene Alaska doesn't count- I just made that part up on the spot:rotfl: )

It seems like he's acting like a broker, which I think is becoming more popular as DVC becomes bigger.

You have more and more people who don't know how to use their points properly, get stuck, and look to somebody that they're willing to pay to fix it.

I think at some point Disney's going to decide that it's a significant revenue stream and create a DVC brokerage in-house that will do the same thing.

Sometimes I feel like the old mom and pop and a handshake way of renting DVC's going to go by the wayside very, very soon.

It seems like he's acting like a broker, which I think is becoming more popular as DVC becomes bigger.

You have more and more people who don't know how to use their points properly, get stuck, and look to somebody that they're willing to pay to fix it.

I think at some point Disney's going to decide that it's a significant revenue stream and create a DVC brokerage in-house that will do the same thing.

Sometimes I feel like the old mom and pop and a handshake way of renting DVC's going to go by the wayside very, very soon.

WOW.... what an idea. If Disney hasn't thought of this already, then I think you should get a reward.... maybe from the Tag Fairy!

...(snip)....I think at some point Disney's going to decide that it's a significant revenue stream and create a DVC brokerage in-house that will do the same thing.......
DVC already has one - it's called CRO. :teeth: That's where DVC sends the points that they need to turn into cash. Proceeds are returned to DVC less a cut for CRO. (Proceeds used to pay for members use of non-DVC options and also to reduce annual dues - breakage).

IMHO, individual members like us will not want to use CRO as our "broker" - CRO costs way more than I'd want to pay, LOL.

DVC already has one - it's called CRO. :teeth: That's where DVC sends the points that they need to turn into cash. Proceeds are returned to DVC less a cut for CRO. (Proceeds used to pay for members use of non-DVC options and also to reduce annual dues - breakage).

IMHO, individual members like us will not want to use CRO as our "broker" - CRO costs way more than I'd want to pay, LOL.

Ok... call me ignorant, but I'm not sure if you are serious or making light of the issue. Does CRO handle this issue of needing to rent my left-over points? I really don't know.

I would really feel stupid right now if I hadn't already had a couple glasses of wine. So for right now, I just feel ignorant.

Ok... call me ignorant, but I'm not sure if you are serious or making light of the issue. Does CRO handle this issue of needing to rent my left-over points? I really don't know.

I would really feel stupid right now if I hadn't already had a couple glasses of wine. So for right now, I just feel ignorant.

As I understand it (which is usually not well, but I try) CRO takes the points back that have expired from members. They will not help you, at this point, with renting them out to others, or let you put your "extra" points in a holding pool that they'd rent out and let you have a portion of those revenues. That's what I meant by disney possibly 'brokering' in the future.

Right now they seem to have enough inventory at the DVC's to do it on their own, and it's in their best interests to let their members mess up and have their points expire, at which point they get them for 'free'. I think. Clear and logical thinking has never been my strong point....:rolleyes1

Sorry to confuse. (Glad you had that wine because I sure didn't want to make anyone feel stupid!

When DVC members use their points to cruise or to book certain non-DVC options, DVC sends the equivalent number of room nights over to CRO to rent to the public for cash. The proceeds (minus a commission for CRO) are used to pay for the members' trade out option.

Also, unreserved points rooms are sent to CRO at 60 days prior. Those rooms are also rented to the general public for cash. The proceeds from these rooms (minus a commission for CRO) are used to reduce members' annual dues. You will see this in the budget - it's called breakage income.

CRO/WDWTC does not rent "left over" points for individual members. I was just responding to Kickapoo Joie Juice's remarks -

"You have more and more people who don't know how to use their points properly, get stuck, and look to somebody that they're willing to pay to fix it.

I think at some point Disney's going to decide that it's a significant revenue stream and create a DVC brokerage in-house that will do the same thing."

If you think about it, CRO is the "brokerage in-house" for DVC - but I don't think anyone of us would want to pay the "commission" they charge DVC to get rid of our "left overs".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter