One contract or two smaller contracts.

RX8

Earning My Ears
First post but not new to timeshares. I have signed up for Copper Creek Villas 175 points. Right now I have 2018 points and a February use year. Really can’t say when I would travel but don’t think it would be in the heat of summer. I am aware of the direct versus resale comparisons. I am still within the rescission period and have been doing a lot of research.

Would it be better to have one contract or two smaller contracts with the same use year? Also, would it be worth changing my use year from February to August or September to get the 2017 points?

I figure they might be flexible since I am in the rescission period. While I know I would be paying more I do like having the full 50 years. Resale here is rare at this time too. I think that CCV would be difficult to book a studio and 1B at 7 months because most owners would likely skip the cabins and those are a lot of points vying for studios, 1B and 2B. While I would like to buy VGC resale I think I am eight months too late as resale has skyrocketed, which I don’t need to remind you of that.

All comments are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you don't know when you are going to travel, then you might want to resend and get a September, October, or December UY, that way you get 2017 UY points.

Also, it is Copper Creek Villas, ie. CCV here on the boards.

First post but not new to timeshares. I have signed up for Copper Creek Villas 175 points. Right now I have 2018 points and a February use year. Really can’t say when I would travel but don’t think it would be in the heat of summer. I am aware of the direct versus resale comparisons. I am still within the recession period and have been doing a lot of research.

Would it be better to have one contract or two smaller contracts with the same use year? Also, would it be worth changing my use year from February to August or September to get the 2017 points?

I figure they might be flexible since I am in the rescission period. While I know I would be paying more I do like having the full 50 years. Resale here is rare at this time too. I think that CCV would be difficult to book a studio and 1B at 7 months because most owners would likely skip the cabins and those are a lot of points vying for studios, 1B and 2B. While I would like to buy VGC resale I think I am eight months too late as resale has skyrocketed, which I don’t need to remind you of that.

If you plan to travel during the cooler winter and spring months, a Dec UY might suit you better. And you would get the 2017 points now.

And I agree with @quandrea . Two smaller contracts would probably be a good idea in the event that you wish to downsize at any point.

If you don't know when you are going to travel, then you might want to resend and get a September, October, or December UY, that way you get 2017 UY points.

Also, it is Copper Creek Villas, ie. CCV here on the boards.

LOL, I knew that. Not sure where Cotton came from. I made the correction. If I decide to move forward I’ll call DVC and see if they will make these changes. They did make the comment after signing that if I decided I wanted another use year or resort to call them. I know they won’t do anything after the rescission is up. I don’t like paying retail but I feel better about this with DVC than any other timeshare. I have one other timeshare, bought resale.

October UY is great for us.
Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
If you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

First post but not new to timeshares. I have signed up for Copper Creek Villas 175 points. Right now I have 2018 points and a February use year. Really can’t say when I would travel but don’t think it would be in the heat of summer. I am aware of the direct versus resale comparisons. I am still within the rescission period and have been doing a lot of research.

Depends on what you need. If staying shorter stays and want to have option of 11mo to book 2 shorter may be better to give you more options. I have 2 big and 1 short contract. OKW & AKL are big contracts and nice that now I have 11mo window for both resorts. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I was a little surprised when you hit the part about liking to buy VGC resale? Is that the location you want to stay at most often? Beyond the 50 year issue (which I think most timeshare owners hold for 10 years or so....) is CCV where you want to stay most often with your DVC?

Regarding UY - if summer isn't on your radar at all I'd rescind the current contract and switch to September or October. Knowing summer was our least likely travel time led to our October UY purchase. But then we did VGC and I planned on June trips for my birthday so also got an April UY. :laughing:

Contract size - with 175 points I'd probably split into 100 and 75.

My first contact from DVD was 220 points. In retrospect I should have purchased 2 - 110 point contracts, but that was in 2006 and we didn't know the "product" very well. Our next few contracts direct and resale were in the 50 - 100 range.
The negative to the smaller contacts is the additional cost per contract for closing fees(disney used to cover this regardless of contract size when you purchased direct, but no more). The positive(s), at least for me, was: 1) if our frequency of trips changes at any time we can sell some of the contracts and keep less points, 2) its easier to sell smaller contracts than larger ones(usually get a premium for them as well). The end of the day, you need to explore what makes sense for you and where you are in life, career, family, etc.

In regards to UY, the issue isn't when you can travel in so much as when you can cancel if life throws you a curve ball. We purchased October UY, as we figured to be traveling there during Thanksgiving or president's day week. This year we also did a trip for fourth of July. When the program first started the banking window was much more complicated, and you needed a degree in calculus to keep track of your points( not really, but it was annoying to say the keast) UY was much more vital back then to ensure you wouldn't lose points yearly. Since they simplified it, it really only matters in case you need to cancel and you're in the last months of your UY...those points will probably be lost or rented at an extreme discount.

Good luck

If you are familiar with timeshares whey are you buying retail?

If you are familiar with timeshares whey are you buying retail?

Yes I am familiar with resale and hate to pay retail. Still deciding but only have a couple more days to make the decision (if I am to rescind). My thought process:
  • Wouldn't mind making CCV the home resort
  • Home priority at 11 months may be needed as I can see it being difficult to book studios and 1B at the 7 month mark. I don't see many owners booking the expensive cabins leaving more competition for the smaller units
  • I am checking to see if DVC would give me two smaller contracts with same use year instead of 175 contract. Initial response seems to be yes
  • Looking to change the use year from February to September or December. At the same time this should get me the use of 2017 points
  • With the direct incentives, ability to pay with a credit card to earn cash back, and hoping to rent the 2017 points at $14 or so (after banking, can't use those points myself) my math brings it down to $151 PP. Yes more expensive than resale in general but what little resale I have seen with CCV has been greater than $151 PP. Plus, I get the full 50 year contract and perks. Finally, the process is much easier than resale

Am I making a mistake?

Yes I am familiar with resale and hate to pay retail. Still deciding but only have a couple more days to make the decision (if I am to rescind). My thought process:
  • Home priority at 11 months may be needed as I can see it being difficult to book studios and 1B at the 7 month mark. I don't see many owners booking the expensive cabins leaving more competition for the smaller units
  • I am checking to see if DVC would give me two smaller contracts with same use year instead of 175 contract. Initial response seems to be yes
  • Looking to change the use year from February to September or December. At the same time this should get me the use of 2017 points
  • With the direct incentives, ability to pay with a credit card to earn cash back, and hoping to rent the 2017 points at $14 or so (after banking, can't use those points myself) my math brings it down to $151 PP. Yes more expensive than resale in general but what little resale I have seen with CCV has been greater than $151 PP. Plus, I get the full 50 year contract and perks. Finally, the process is much easier than resale

Am I making a mistake?

Make it easy on yourself and rescind now and take as much time as you need to decide. They'll write you up a new contract the day you call them back if you decide it's a go for direct.

For what it is worth: I did the tour in May and knew that if I was to consider buying CCV I had a couple of requirements. My initial requirement was an October UY. My guide's initial response was "UY does not matter you don't need October we are selling December." I just looked at him and said October. He left, (while my husband and I joked it is like the car salesman "checking" with the manager) came back and said 300 points in October UY available! I said I would want the contract split. He said it could be split 3 ways but would need to be minimum 75 points each. Ultimately I decided CCV is not for us with our family of 5 and have bought a small direct contract with OKW and have a BLT contract in ROFR right now. Long story short just to reiterate what veteran people have said...just rescind now. Ultimately Disney wants your business and can get you what you want. I had to wait a bit for the direct points but yes October direct did come through. Hope that helps...

Am I making a mistake?

I have a problem with "wouldn't mind" instead of we just bought at our favorite resort.

Wouldn't mind making CCV the home resort

I have a problem with "wouldn't mind" instead of we just bought at our favorite resort.

This immediately jumped out at me as well. Echoing what others have suggested, I don't see any harm in rescinding and revisiting prior to Sept 1 to get your 2017 points as well, should you decide to go that route.
Really can’t say when I would travel but don’t think it would be in the heat of summer.
Having identified that you would probably be avoiding the hot summer months, you're probably on the right track that Sept would be a great candidate for UY. February would be tough because you lose the banking window with any travel Oct-Jan - popular months for those looking to avoid face-melting Florida sun (which seems to intensify above WDW for some reason).

Am I making a mistake?
rescind now then take more time to make a better decision. Don't feel rushed, just be honest with your guide that you want to cancel and look at options. IMO not minding CCV is not enough, basically saying it's worth a lot more $$$ to me would be the only way it'd be reasonable to buy there IMO. If you do, make sure you buy a fixed week so you have more options even if it's a few more points. They will give you smaller contracts but charge you 2 closings I believe. I think your math is wrong, it seems you are counting the points you get by buying as a discount and I'd suggest that you can often get as many or more points resale further decreasing the cost of resale compared to retail. I wouldn't let the fluff of a few pennies on a CC incentive or the retail perks cause you to make a poor decision otherwise. The last few years of the contract have little value, certainly there is some between 2042 and CCV but even compared to SSR at 2054 it's a VERY minimal added $$$ value and it might be a detriment at some point.

The last few years of the contract have little value, certainly there is some between 2042 and CCV but even compared to SSR at 2054 it's a VERY minimal added $$$ value and it might be a detriment at some point.
I've seen this repeated a lot by people who's opinions I respect, but I'm not sure I understand what this means.

As it is it seems to factor a lot into people's equations when they do a cost analysis of ownership ($/pt/yr), can you explain why later years' have much less value than the first few years? Is it because the likelihood of continued ownership? The risk of ownership? Lost opportunity costs? Thanks!

I've seen this repeated a lot by people who's opinions I respect, but I'm not sure I understand what this means.

As it is it seems to factor a lot into people's equations when they do a cost analysis of ownership ($/pt/yr), can you explain why later years' have much less value than the first few years? Is it because the likelihood of continued ownership? The risk of ownership? Lost opportunity costs?
Because you're paying today for something into the future AND you're adding commitment & risk while doing so. Here's the best (but simplistic) way to think about it IMO, give me $100 and I'll pay you back in 20 years the same $100. It's like prepaying your mortgage payments rather than paying down the principle. Would you prepay for a car you don't get until 20 years from now?

Because you're paying today for something into the future AND you're adding commitment & risk while doing so. Here's the best (but simplistic) way to think about it IMO, give me $100 and I'll pay you back in 20 years the same $100. It's like prepaying your mortgage payments rather than paying down the principle. Would you prepay for a car you don't get until 20 years from now?
So you see the additional years on the RTU expiration as a more of a liability than an asset. That's counter to how most people would calculate value when figuring out how many additional years they have that they're buying. The justification for most (and admittedly I'm presently in this camp) is that the additional years at CCV make it a a better "value" than buying into BRV with a 2042 expiration.

Maybe because it's hard to quantify risk? I guess I see the additional years on RTU as additional years of savings over cost of renting points, which admittedly is also hard to quantify or project with any certainty. Is it that uncertainty that devalues the projected savings potential?
Would you prepay for a car you don't get until 20 years from now?
That car sounds like a bum deal! But being in possession of a car is binary. You either have it or you don't. I know you're oversimplifying for the sake of helping me understand, but what about this analogy instead:

Buying DVC is like buying a bulk barrel of Oreos. There are 500,000 Oreos in the barrel. I'm paying for all of those Oreos today even though I'm only able to eat 27.4 of them a day for the next 50 years. I have the Oreos, they're in my garage (keeping the space warm until I get that car I bought from you). I love Oreos today, if I don't care for them anymore tomorrow, there's a chance I can roll them out to the lawn and find someone to buy them at my sketchy yard sale. I paid less/Oreo because I bough so many. I paid for the 500,000th Oreo today, and while I can't eat it today, I am in possession of it and could potentially sell it if I wanted to.

Is the fact that the Oreos could go bad and be inedible, that the value of that 500,000th Oreo is intrinsically worth less than the 1st Oreo I eat? That the risks, when factored in, devalue the later cookies?

How are you quantifying that risk? Maybe that's the piece I'm missing: how does one go about finding the true value of a CCV point in 2066 if we're saying that it's not worth the $3.64 you're paying today for it on a 200 point contract (ignoring developer credits)?

So you see the additional years on the RTU expiration as a more of a liability than an asset. That's counter to how most people would calculate value when figuring out how many additional years they have that they're buying. The justification for most (and admittedly I'm presently in this camp) is that the additional years at CCV make it a a better "value" than buying into BRV with a 2042 expiration.

Maybe because it's hard to quantify risk? I guess I see the additional years on RTU as additional years of savings over cost of renting points, which admittedly is also hard to quantify or project with any certainty. Is it that uncertainty that devalues the projected savings potential?

That car sounds like a bum deal! But being in possession of a car is binary. You either have it or you don't. I know you're oversimplifying for the sake of helping me understand, but what about this analogy instead:

Buying DVC is like buying a bulk barrel of Oreos. There are 500,000 Oreos in the barrel. I'm paying for all of those Oreos today even though I'm only able to eat 27.4 of them a day for the next 50 years. I have the Oreos, they're in my garage (keeping the space warm until I get that car I bought from you). I love Oreos today, if I don't care for them anymore tomorrow, there's a chance I can roll them out to the lawn and find someone to buy them at my sketchy yard sale. I paid less/Oreo because I bough so many. I paid for the 500,000th Oreo today, and while I can't eat it today, I am in possession of it and could potentially sell it if I wanted to.

Is the fact that the Oreos could go bad and be inedible, that the value of that 500,000th Oreo is intrinsically worth less than the 1st Oreo I eat? That the risks, when factored in, devalue the later cookies?

How are you quantifying that risk? Maybe that's the piece I'm missing: how does one go about finding the true value of a CCV point in 2066 if we're saying that it's not worth the $3.64 you're paying today for it on a 200 point contract (ignoring developer credits)?
I wouldn't necessarily say liability though I think that's accurate to a degree. I'd say it's less valuable than the years that are closer and they have more liability in terms of fees as well as personal situation. Just taking the price and dividing by the years is NOT a representation of the true cost of the years into the future. The cost is dependent on your assumptions, it really doesn't matter how we quantify it but it's indisputable that the years at the end have less value than the ones closer looked at today. Certainly those years have value if one makes certain assumptions and if they don't feel they do, DVC likely isn't a good choice at all. Just look at the OKW 2042 vs 2057, that's likely the best representation of the difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!