One day, both parks - thoughts?

Madison2018

Earning My Ears
Coming to Universal for one day only. Wish we had more time, maybe next visit. I would love some thoughts and feedback on the best way to tour the park.

Coming from Disney via Uber, plan to get to Universal at 8:30. Me, my husband and two kids ages 12 and 10. Me and 12 y/o will ride everything, 10 y/o will ride anything not to scary, husband will ride very few things, ha! We are not generally interested in water rides (other than JP), characters or shows. Priorities are the Harry Potter areas and a few select other rides. This will be on a Tuesday or Wednesday, Mid March.

Looking at the map, the logical route to me is starting at IoA, going left and starting with Spider Man working our way around to Hogsmeade, then taking the Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley, then working our way counter clockwise through those attractions, then taking the Hogwarts Express back to IoA. But would it be better because of crowds to start in Hogsmeade, do the HP stuff then take the Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley, experience the HP stuff there then work our way counter clockwise back through US back to Hogwarts Express then back to IoA and finish up there with the non HP stuff? Or is there another plan that works best? Also, since 2 in our party will not be riding some of the bigger rides can the other 2 use their Express Passes for a 2nd ride?

These are the things we are planning on doing, priorities marked with a *, things without a * we are ok to miss if needed. We plan to eat lunch at someplace quick along the way and are hoping to finish up by 5 or 6 and end with dinner someplace at City Walk.

IoA:
Hogsmeade*
Forbidden Journey*
Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley*
Flight of the Hippogriff
Spider-Man*
Kong Skull Island*
Jurassic Park*

US:
Diagon Alley*
Gringotts*
Hogwarts Express back to Hogsmeade*
Despicable Me
Transformers*
Rip Ride Rockit*
Jimmy Fallon
Mummy*
Men In Black
Simpsons
ET

Thanks in advance!

You should have no problem hitting your must dos.

I curse myself for saying this - but you will save your feet if you bypass the ET/Simpsons/MIB loop. Ugh, some of my favs though. You also miss a walk through Seuss land - if you have time, at least do the trolley. The ride is pretty lame, but the views are amazing!

There are some who believe you should start the Hogwart Express in Diagon Alley, as that is what Harry does. If that sways you, it is easy to hit Mummy/Transformers on the way to Diagon, or just run straight to DA. Then, when you get to IoA, it doesn't matter which direction you circle the park in...then ride back to UO. If you decide to go straight to Diagon, then on your way back through, hit Mummy/Transformers/RRR and you are basically at the front gate for dinner at Citywalk.

I'm not touching the EP sharing question, we stay onsite and all have them, not sure what the rules are...sorry

Don’t cut your one day so short! Open to close. :) You should ideally parking at least 30 minutes before park opening with tickets in hand to allow for security and walking.
Absolutely plan an early lunch at a Harry Potter restaurant.
Seriously though, Diagon Alley and now Hogsmeade with the new show are amazing at night. Stay the day. You’ll be glad you did.

Some good advice from previous posters.........would definitely recommend staying a full day......would be a shame to cut it early.......

And it’s an absolute no to sharing EP.

Suggest you arrive before 8:30 since it will be spring break time

You want to be close to the front gate to enter the park

Check with the uo website to see the time the park opens for the day you will be there

Parks open at 9:00 but I have seen earlier openings scheduled weeks out during some time periods

Not sure if spring break is in that grouping

Hi I agree with vacplanner2012 about skipping the MIB, E.T and Simpsons route at first. I am one of those visitors who likes going to DA first so I would start with the Studios DA then hit Minion Mayhem then from there Rip Ride Rocket, Jimmy Fallon, Mummy then Transformers. You can see what time it is and you can maybe eat lunch at Leaky Cauldron then take the HE after to IOA and Hogs'meade. You could also take the HE then eat at Hogsmeade for lunch. The HP worlds can be busy from mid to late morning till early evening. Just a thought not sure how you are with crowds. From there you can circle around to Jurassic and so on down to hulk. If You didn't want to walk back up to Hogsmeade you could just go out the gate and walk to the studios entrance. If you don't mind and you want to go back to the studios take the HE back there and hit MIB, E.T. and Simpsons. The HE is different each way so it is cool to see.

However, your plan for starting with IOA works too. Starting at Spider man and going to Hogs'meade then over to DA and do that plan. I agree one of the HP restaurants is cool to eat in.

I agree don't cut yourself short and try and be at the gates for opening and stay till closing.

Enjoy

I would arrive about 45 mins before the park opens to get in line. I would buy my tickets in advance so all you have to do is get in line. I wanted once for 30 mins in line to upgrade my tickets.....

Agree with all the above especially about staying all day. That way you don’t feel like rushing around to get out by dinner. It’s so much nicer to be able to take your time, rest when you want to, and enjoy the atmosphere. If you’re worried about in park food quality, the full service restaurants aren’t that bad especially since nothing on City Walk is amazing either imo. If anything you can grab a couple snacks in the park and do a late dinner on City Walk

You need to start at whichever park does NOT have early entry that day.

This is the best advice. We go during Thanksgiving and stay offsite. We get there for opening and go to the park that doesn't have early entry that day.

Don’t cut your one day so short! Open to close. :) You should ideally parking at least 30 minutes before park opening with tickets in hand to allow for security and walking.

Agreed.

You can’t share express passes.

Yep.

And...non thrill rides end up with long lines too. And don’t have the layoff for long lines. So if you’re getting EP get it for all.

If you’re already getting EP I hope you proved it out compared to one night at a deluxe. It can work out the same or better than buying EP on its own.

We were there last week. 1 day was plenty for both parks, at the last minute I swapped my plans, I don’t know if it was for better for worse, we ended up missing the minions because we didn’t want to wait 45 minutes.

My kids are 5, 9, and 12.
We started in Seuss, did all 4 there, then Spider-Man, met spiderman and Captain America, DD and DH did the hulk coaster. Then we made our way to hogsmeade. Did the forbidden journey, walked to Jurassic Park, back to hogwarts express. Diagon alley, Simpson’s ride and the twirl and hurl, animal actors. Then they were done, the kids didn’t want to do anymore rides and I think we were done by 4.

Last edited:
We were there in December, we had not seen Diagon alley yet. You must see both sides of Harry Potter if you have not already, it really is amazing. You certainly need all day though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter