One day touring LA

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
We are taking a family trip to CA (from OH) this summer. We know that we want to spend 4 nights at DL and 4 nights at Laguna Beach. I've been to both and absolutely love both areas. But, we want to spend one of our "Laguna" days going to LA. I'm not very familiar with LA and not sure where we should go. We know that we DON'T want to go to any other theme parks or zoos. We'd rather see some sights that may be familiar from TV shows and movies. My 16 year old daughter would be thrilled with seeing Beverly Hills, I'm sure. Any other similar suggestions?

We will have a car. My kids are 12 and 16. And, I'd love a couple suggestions for someplace to have dinner. Would LOVE to go someplace with outdoor seating where we might have a beautiful view?? Thanks!!

If you can find a scheduling way to not do it all the way from Laguna it will save you quite a bit of time in traffic. Leaving from the Disneyland area for LA saves a lot of time vs. getting out of Laguna Beach.

The Warner Bros Studio is fun with teenagers. If they are fans of the movie "La La Land" take them to Griffith Observatory, where they can also get a good view of the Hollywood sign. Santa Monica Pier area is very touristy but also iconic.

PHXscuba

If you can find a scheduling way to not do it all the way from Laguna it will save you quite a bit of time in traffic. Leaving from the Disneyland area for LA saves a lot of time vs. getting out of Laguna Beach.

The Warner Bros Studio is fun with teenagers. If they are fans of the movie "La La Land" take them to Griffith Observatory, where they can also get a good view of the Hollywood sign. Santa Monica Pier area is very touristy but also iconic.

PHXscuba

Laguna Beach is a short drive from the Irvine Station. Taking the Metrolink (or Amtrak) to Los Angeles and using public transportation to get around is the best option for most tourists, and will generally save a considerable amount of time and headache.

Seeing-stars.com is a resource I've used for filming locations, events (movie premiers, Walk of Fame ceremonies, awards shows, etc.), tickets for tv shows.... all that "Hollywood" stuff. Beverly Hills isn't all that IMO, but if your daughter wants to see it, it's just a drive through to look at houses or a brief stop to walk Rodeo Drive. Like others, I also recommend the Warner Bros. Studio Tour.

A stop at the Griffith Observatory is definitely worthwhile, as it provides a great panorama of the city and it has been making appearances on various movies and TV shows since Hollywood was in its infancy. I would also recommend cruising Sunset and Hollywood Blvd (they run parallel to each other, so out one way and back the other). A quick stop at Hollywood and Highland will give all the 'Hollywood' you will ever desire. The Funko store near Hollywood and Vine is definitely worth a stop if you are at all into Funko (or just cute stuff in general, including some Disney). It is basically like a free museum/store that actually has quite a bit to see inside. There are long lines to get in on the weekend, and they close early right now (6pm). We strolled in at 5:30pm on Friday night with no line at all and were able to see everything before they kicked us out. Japanese Village Plaza is also a fun place to stroll through, as it gives a tiny glimpse of Japan. There are numerous restaurants and a bakery there, as well as plenty of nearby parking. It is right to the east of downtown, so an easy stop on the way there or back. The downtown LA skyline has been making many appearances lately in quite a few shows. For a free glimpse from above, check out the lobby of the Intercontinental Hotel. Not sure how things are with COVID, but pre-COVID, anyone could head up to the lobby on the 71st floor. There is a bar in the lobby, and numerous restaurants on the floor below (hopefully they will all be open this summer).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!