One DVC concept I cannot seem to grasp

LadyLuck24

Mouseketeer
I'm currently awaiting ROFR on a resale contract. I've been considering DVC for years and finally we're in a place financially where we could make it happen. I have read almost everything about DVC and felt pretty comfortable with the ins and outs of it before taking the plunge.

One thing I'm not sure I understand though is this. If I end up getting this contract (270 April points at BWV) but then I want to buy direct and add on say, 25 points, somewhere, what's the benefit of making sure they have the same UY? I've seen people recommend getting the same UY for your contracts--I understand why you would do that if you had two contracts at the same resort, but what about different resorts?

For example, say I find a 25 point VWL contract with an April UY. Just because it's an April use year doesn't mean I can combine my BWV and VWL points to book a 295 point stay 11 months out, right? So why should I try to get the same UY for my two contracts?

Because at 7 months you'd be able to use the points together seemlessly.

Also one banking window, one dues statements, no having to switch between UY's for booking and things like that.

If one is organized and has a plan to use each of the resort contracts separately it's less important but even then it's just a little easier to have a single UY. 25 points is not much to have in one UY while the rest is in another so most would be looking to use it together with the larger contract either at 11 months if it was the same resort or at 7 months if it was a different one. But people have different plans for points so it isn't always applicable.

Two accounts, two memberships, more dates, rules and deadlines to keep track of.

:earsboy: Bill

We have been members for nearly 20 years. I am a geek and tend to be organized. I like to know how things work and took the time to understand the program.

We had two use years and wound up selling the contract with the second year.

It was too much of a hassle. Transfer rules, separate logins, etc made it not worthwhile.

For example, say I find a 25 point VWL contract with an April UY. Just because it's an April use year doesn't mean I can combine my BWV and VWL points to book a 295 point stay 11 months out, right? So why should I try to get the same UY for my two contracts?

If you're trying to book a couple nights at 17 points per night, that 25 point contract is pretty hard to use by itself. You end up borrowing/banking and/or transferring from your other contract. Like others said, it's seamless and just one pool of points to use at 7 months if you have the same UY.

I have 2 UY and 2 accounts. It's a pain sometimes but there are some advantages.

I have access to 2 waitlists on both accounts, so I can keep 4 waitlists going at once. (Although I've never had a waitlist come through for me, so this hasn't necessarily been benefit for me yet.)

I can buy two sets of one time use points, or 48 per year.

At the 7 month window, I can patch trips together at same resort like 2 nights on one account and 3 on another and then link them with member services. This taught me that I can split up a trip and use that to my advantage with dining plans.

For example, if I'm staying 5 nights, instead of regular dining plan for 5 nights, I'll book 2 nights then 3 at same resort, link them and book deluxe for first two nights. This allows us to eat fancier over 3 nights of our trip, and for less. California Grill!

Personally, I would not buy a contract for a separate resort intending to use it every third year unless I was willing to let some point expire without use every so often. It is nearly impossible to get a contract that will equal exactly 1/3 of the cost of a stay. Even if you do, there is the risk that DVC will re-balance point charts and mess up your carefully laid plan. To avoid losing points, you would have to be able to use them at 7 months, which means you either need to be able to reserve one night from the "leftovers" or arrange a transfer to you main contract to combine those "leftovers" with your other points. That can be an issue, depending on how you are using your main contract. Booking at 7 months doesn't always work out the way you plan.

Using points every other year is easier - especially if you use the second use year contract only during the 11 month booking window.

Personally, I would not buy a contract for a separate resort intending to use it every third year unless I was willing to let some point expire without use every so often. It is nearly impossible to get a contract that will equal exactly 1/3 of the cost of a stay. Even if you do, there is the risk that DVC will re-balance point charts and mess up your carefully laid plan. To avoid losing points, you would have to be able to use them at 7 months, which means you either need to be able to reserve one night from the "leftovers" or arrange a transfer to you main contract to combine those "leftovers" with your other points. That can be an issue, depending on how you are using your main contract. Booking at 7 months doesn't always work out the way you plan.

Using points every other year is easier - especially if you use the second use year contract only during the 11 month booking window.

This makes sense as to why I would want the same UY. If I buy a small direct contract, it would be mostly for the direct benefits, but getting the same UY will let me get the most out of it. Thanks everyone! You've solved a longtime mystery for me.

How hard is it usually to get a 25 point add-on for the same UY? Do you usually end up on a waiting list? Like the one we're trying to buy right now is a June use year at Animal Kingdom. Hoping it's not too big of a hassle to add on 25.

How hard is it usually to get a 25 point add-on for the same UY? Do you usually end up on a waiting list? Like the one we're trying to buy right now is a June use year at Animal Kingdom. Hoping it's not too big of a hassle to add on 25.
In the spring after my resale purchase closed (also AKV) I called in and bought a 25 pt contract with my UY (Aug) while on the phone.

I have 2 UY and 2 accounts. It's a pain sometimes but there are some advantages.
I have access to 2 waitlists on both accounts, so I can keep 4 waitlists going at once. (Although I've never had a waitlist come through for me, so this hasn't necessarily been benefit for me yet.)
I can buy two sets of one time use points, or 48 per year.
At the 7 month window, I can patch trips together at same resort like 2 nights on one account and 3 on another and then link them with member services. This taught me that I can split up a trip and use that to my advantage with dining plans.
For example, if I'm staying 5 nights, instead of regular dining plan for 5 nights, I'll book 2 nights then 3 at same resort, link them and book deluxe for first two nights. This allows us to eat fancier over 3 nights of our trip, and for less. California Grill!
we have 3 UYs, & prefer it for the same reasons :) the DxDDP is wonderful for 1 or 2 nights (followed by 11-12 nights without - bonus is the refillable mug is good for 2 weeks) at the same resort, same room, something we couldn't do with the same UY. I haven't encountered any difficulties or confusion, BUT each UY has enough points to cover a trip - we book our May trip using the April UY, Oct trip using the Aug UY, alternating any of them with our Dec UY. All our contracts are accessible with a single login on both the DVC site & MDE.
Different UYs really works well for us :thumbsup2

we have 3 UYs, & prefer it for the same reasons :) the DxDDP is wonderful for 1 or 2 nights (followed by 11-12 nights without - bonus is the refillable mug is good for 2 weeks) at the same resort, same room, something we couldn't do with the same UY. I haven't encountered any difficulties or confusion, BUT each UY has enough points to cover a trip - we book our May trip using the April UY, Oct trip using the Aug UY, alternating any of them with our Dec UY. All our contracts are accessible with a single login on both the DVC site & MDE.
Different UYs really works well for us :thumbsup2
Laurie....how did you get both contracts on a single sign-in for DVC site? I remember hearing that was possible but got a little panicked seeing the comments above. Is it as simple as a call to member services to merge the contracts into one user name?

Laurie....how did you get both contracts on a single sign-in for DVC site? I remember hearing that was possible but got a little panicked seeing the comments above. Is it as simple as a call to member services to merge the contracts into one user name?
When I added my 2nd contract, it did it automatically.

When you go to book, there's a scroll down bar to choose resorts. For me, there's also one to choose contracts.

If you have the contracts all Titled the same when recorded, DVC will setup the accounts all under the same login. If it is Titled differently or with extra people it will not be in the same login account.

We own 4 different contracts with 3 different UY at 2 resorts........ 2 February UY at VGF, 1 March UY at AKV, and 1 June UY at VGF, all under one login. The 2 February UY contracts act as one.

If you have the contracts all Titled the same when recorded, DVC will setup the accounts all under the same login. If it is Titled differently or with extra people it will not be in the same login account.

We own 4 different contracts with 3 different UY at 2 resorts........ 2 February UY at VGF, 1 March UY at AKV, and 1 June UY at VGF, all under one login. The 2 February UY contracts act as one.
Excellent thank you both.

what ziravan & mattyb13 said :) When we bought the second & third UYs, we were asked if we were already members, & gave them the names EXACTLY as they were on the original membership (btw, the broker advised checking the website to ensure DH's name (using middle initial & Jr) was exact - the website actually doesn't show exactly as the contract, DVC bounced it back, & we amended to be the same). also, despite two of our three memberships being titled slightly differently, with our DD on them, all 3 are accessible under that single login.

Ours also was automatic but since then they have also added an option on the website to add a contract to your sign in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter