One time use point ?

zemra406

Mouseketeer
Have a question on one-time use points. I have a 7 night stay booked with home resort points and am 4 points short for the 8th night. Was thinking of buying 4 OTU points to cover this. Can I do this at 7 months out from the first night of my stay or 7 months out from the night I want to add? Would like to add a night to do moonlight magic in August.

7 months from the night you want to add, unless the whole stay is available at 7, I believe.

Follow up question - can you do this for a waitlisted room, or will they borrow the extra points automatically?

Follow up question - can you do this for a waitlisted room, or will they borrow the extra points automatically?
OTU points can only be purchased by phone at the time you are placing a reservation.

OTU points can only be purchased by phone at the time you are placing a reservation.
Right - so if you waitlist a room, it asks you to authorize borrowing if you don't have enough points in current UY or it won't proceed. If WL matches, can you call in and tell them you'd like to us OTU points instead?

I am thinking of this scenario in particular (this is within the 7mo window):
Want to stay M-F nights, but F night is unavailable, AND I'm 4 pts shy of F night anyway. So I waitlist F night (and have to click box to borrow points), and it comes through. So when I call after waitlist matches, can I say, instead of borrowing, I'd like to buy 4 OTU points instead? The answer SHOULD be yes...?

Right - so if you waitlist a room, it asks you to authorize borrowing if you don't have enough points in current UY or it won't proceed. If WL matches, can you call in and tell them you'd like to us OTU points instead?

Want to stay M-F nights, but F night is unavailable, AND I'm 4 pts shy of F night anyway. So I waitlist F night (and have to click box to borrow points), and it comes through. So when I call after waitlist matches, can I say, instead of borrowing, I'd like to buy 4 OTU points instead? The answer SHOULD be yes...?
No, when the waitlist matches, it will make the reservation and borrow the points to make the reservation. What you would need to do is this:
Pick a night, say Thursday, that IS available at 7 months and buy the 4 OTU points to book that night. Then, that will free up the points you would need, without borrowing, in order to waitlist for Friday night.

Might work - if you can catch it before the CM completes the process. Risky, IMO.

No, when the waitlist matches, it will make the reservation and borrow the points to make the reservation. What you would need to do is this:
Pick a night, say Thursday, that IS available at 7 months and buy the 4 OTU points to book that night. Then, that will free up the points you would need, without borrowing, in order to waitlist for Friday night.
That will work, but if the waitlist never matches, you may be stuck with points you can't use before they expire. For 4 points, it's a $60 gamble, IMO. I'd just borrow and worry about the next trip later, but that's me. :)

Might work - if you can catch it before the CM completes the process. Risky, IMO.

That will work, but if the waitlist never matches, you may be stuck with points you can't use before they expire. For 4 points, it's a $60 gamble, IMO. I'd just borrow and worry about the next trip later, but that's me. :)
OTU points went up in price. They are $17 now.

I agree with a previous poster, just borrow the points if you have them available, and worry about using OTU points at a later time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter