One trip? Witch, please! Make it two! MNSSHP and NYE with Mickey! updated 12/26x3

xlsm

Snow White
Hellooooo DisFriends!!

It's me again, xlsm, here with another pre-trip report of our upcoming Disney adventures!

I've never combined two trips into one PTR before, but these are so close together that I feel pretty safe doing it...we'll see what ends up happening. It could be a train wreck!

But let's hope for the best and get things started!

First, who the heck am I, anyway??

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143888229@N08/

I'm the "S" of my username, a 30something mom of two boys (X who is 14 and L who is 12), and wife to M, my Disney financier, LOL. You know what they say: Disney life, happy wife!

I love all things Disney. I can't remember a time when it wasn't a part of my life in one way or another. I took my first trip to WDW when I was 19 and fell in love with the parks. They brought to life my favorite stories and characters in a way that seemed so unbelievable and truly, truly magical.

So what are these two trips?? C'mon, let's get to the good stuff!

Ok, ok, I hear you! I'll talk about the trips now!

Trip one has been booked since last January I think?? I feel like it has been booked forever. I am taking my mom on her first ever Walt Disney World trip! I asked her to look at pictures of the deluxe resorts and pick which one she she liked best. I was pushing her toward the Contemporary, but she picked...

The Polynesian!!

(these pictures are from July 2015, because I only got ONE picture last December and zero in May!)

We'll be spending one night at Pop (had to add an extra day to the front of the trip b/c of flights) before moving over to the Poly for a week.

My mom and I are not close. Like at all. I mean, we get along, but we do not spend any time together. She lives 3 and a half hours away from us and has only been to visit one time in the 5 years we've been here. Once a year or so we meet halfway, and I've gone all the way back to my hometown multiple times. We rarely talk, our phone calls are few and far between. Holidays, guilt, or someone dying are usually what it takes. So...yeah. In fact, when looking for pictures of us to share, the most recent of just the two of us was from my wedding in 2013. It's not the best of either of us, but for reference:

We didn't turn out very photogenic in this, so to prove I have some great wedding pics, here's one of me with the boys as a bonus:

Anyway, all of that was said b/c I have no idea how this trip is going to play out. Will we even like each other afterward? I have no idea!

I do feel the need to say, just b/c we aren't close doesn't mean we hate each other or anything. It's just sort of...different. I love and admire her so much. She became my mother when she was 17, raised me mostly by herself until I was 8 when she married my stepdad, and survived cancer. This trip will celebrate almost three years post treatment, and I'm glad I get to take her on this special vacation. She taught me how to be strong and independent and to not rely on anyone but myself. It might not have been pretty, but it made me who I am. No matter what our relationship is like, I feel like she deserves to go on a cool trip and have the full Disney experience.

I have lots of fun things planned for this trip including my very first Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!! My family did our first hard ticket party last December and loooved MVMCP, so I know the Halloween party is going to be awesome. As long as I see those Haunted Mansion ballroom dancers in the parade, I'm going to call it a success!

What about the SECOND trip??

The second trip is super random and unexpected!! On our trip last December, I upgraded my ticket to an annual pass, knowing I was going in May and October. Of course I wanted to cram in another trip, but didn't think we could make it work. DH and I wanted to go on our own, and didn't think we'd be able to make that happen before my pass expired.

Then...I saw a Facebook post from an old friend who needed to sell her DVC reservation. She was just going to cancel, but decided to post and see if anyone wanted it.

pick me.gif

Um, hi! Yes! Me! Me! I want it!!

She originally told me it was for 12/31 - 1/4, but it turns out it's only until 1/3. It's still a heck of a deal! Right now I am still waiting for her to hear back from member services (they're a little busy dealing with Irma right now) to switch the reservation to me and give me the confirmation number, but I trust her not to screw me over and take off with my money!

We added two days onto the beginning of that at the only thing open aside from a gazillion dollar suite at the GFlo...All Star Movies!

I've never stayed at a value before (although I'll get a taste of Pop for one night in October!), but it's just me and DH, so space isn't much of an issue. We're booked there for 12/29 - 31. On New Year's Eve we move over to a savanna view studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Did you see the travel party for this one?? Just me and DH!! :dogdance::dogdance:

We are so excited!! We are going to eat so much food!! #priorities

pooh gif.gif

As soon as this trip even became a possibility, I started making ADRs so we would be prepared! I have reservations at MK for 12/30 and Epcot for 12/31, so no matter what else happens for the rest of the trip, we know where we'll be for New Year's Eve. We're people who go to bed at 10, so making it to midnight in the most magical place on earth is going to be something very special!

There's the basics!! I will focus on plans for October's trip first, with news thrown in about December/January here and there as things pop up!

Thanks for following along, I'm excited to share my plans with you!!

Following along! What a nice introduction. You guys are going to have a great time!

I cannot wait to see your adventures!

Following over from your TR!

It's so sweet that you want to share your Disney love with your mom. My mom and I have basically nothing in common and we have very different personalities but the one thing we bond over is Disney.

How fun that you get to ring in the year with your DH in WDW!

Can't wait to hear how your plans shape up!

Following along! What a nice introduction. You guys are going to have a great time!

I cannot wait to see your adventures!

Hooray!! I love seeing familiar faces...er, screennames...on my reports. I hope we both avoid any of our own tropical weather next month on our October trips. Irma has gotten into my head. I feel like we really will have a great time. And if not, I'll just ditch her by the pool and go hug Mickey!!

I feel like both trips are going to be so unpredictable!!

Following over from your TR!

It's so sweet that you want to share your Disney love with your mom. My mom and I have basically nothing in common and we have very different personalities but the one thing we bond over is Disney.

How fun that you get to ring in the year with your DH in WDW!

Can't wait to hear how your plans shape up!

Hi!! I'm happy to have you over here for this one!! It makes me feel relieved to know that Disney works to give you and your mom something to bond over! I hope we can form something like that during and after the trip. And if not, at least I tried!

I am SO EXCITED about new year's with DH!! He is too. He actually said tonight, "we should get married again and have it at Disney". I was like, "don't even play, I will plan the crap out of that." He has the bug almost as bad as I do now!

That's fantastic you have 2 trips planned. I can't believe you are getting more trips without the boys - I would never get away with that. What a great place to spend New Year's Eve. I'm looking forward to hearing all the details of your upcoming trips.

I'm going to comment later but I needed to make page 1! I'll be back soon :car:

:dogdance::dogdance:

( I wish my phone had these dancing dogs, I have so many uses for them in text form!!)

That's fantastic you have 2 trips planned. I can't believe you are getting more trips without the boys - I would never get away with that. What a great place to spend New Year's Eve. I'm looking forward to hearing all the details of your upcoming trips.

This is sooooo out of the ordinary and not typical, so it feels crazy and unreal. I'm happy you're here with me again!!

Joining in!! Yay for getting to hear about TWO upcoming trips!

Thanks for sharing your history with your mom. :hug: I think it's nice that you two will be taking this trip, it definitely seems like it will be a once in lifetime kind of trip. I am sure you will still like each other after :) And hopefully it will be a good bonding experience!

Glad you and DH will be going on the New Years trip! (I'm sure the boys are jealous!) Since its just the two of you, I think you will be fine at All Stars for a couple nights. What an exciting trip it will be!!

So, I had to read your title a couple times, and it wasn't until after two margaritas that I got it... not sure if that's a good or a bad thing...

Can't wait to hear more! I hope your mom enjoys the magic of Disney. I'm sure it was just really terrible to have to had an extra night at Pop because of flights :rotfl: And New Year's sounds so fun!

Joining in!! Yay for getting to hear about TWO upcoming trips!

Thanks for sharing your history with your mom. :hug: I think it's nice that you two will be taking this trip, it definitely seems like it will be a once in lifetime kind of trip. I am sure you will still like each other after :) And hopefully it will be a good bonding experience!

Glad you and DH will be going on the New Years trip! (I'm sure the boys are jealous!) Since its just the two of you, I think you will be fine at All Stars for a couple nights. What an exciting trip it will be!!

Yay!! I'm glad you're here!! Maybe my mom and I can end up holding an honorary "Sugies" title at the end of all this, haha!! I am so excited and nervous all at the same time. We've never been alone together this long before so who knows what will happen!!

I still haven't fully processed NYE yet at all!! It will be a crazy whirlwind trip, that's for sure!

So, I had to read your title a couple times, and it wasn't until after two margaritas that I got it... not sure if that's a good or a bad thing...

Can't wait to hear more! I hope your mom enjoys the magic of Disney. I'm sure it was just really terrible to have to had an extra night at Pop because of flights :rotfl: And New Year's sounds so fun!

Haha!! The title was inspired by this:

witch please.jpg

I saw it online and with the MNSSHP show it seemed fitting...although now I have no idea how to tie it in with New Year's. It might get a re-title after October, lol!!

Yes, I was so sad to add that extra night :rotfl: Unfortunately, we'll be getting in pretty late so it won't give us any park time that night, but it does change our old arrival day into a full park day!! The more full days the better!

I'm so excited about New Year's but also TERRIFIED :scared1::scared1: I know it's going to be insane.

Yay!! I'm glad you're here!! Maybe my mom and I can end up holding an honorary "Sugies" title at the end of all this, haha!! I am so excited and nervous all at the same time. We've never been alone together this long before so who knows what will happen!!

I still haven't fully processed NYE yet at all!! It will be a crazy whirlwind trip, that's for sure!

Haha!! The title was inspired by this:

View attachment 268029

I saw it online and with the MNSSHP show it seemed fitting...although now I have no idea how to tie it in with New Year's. It might get a re-title after October, lol!!

Yes, I was so sad to add that extra night :rotfl: Unfortunately, we'll be getting in pretty late so it won't give us any park time that night, but it does change our old arrival day into a full park day!! The more full days the better!

I'm so excited about New Year's but also TERRIFIED :scared1::scared1: I know it's going to be insane.
I love Hocus Pocus! What a great movie. That's the biggest draw to me for doing MNSSHP :) I'm sure I would love it all if I went to one, but we haven't done any parties yet. And yay more full days!

It's me again, xlsm, here with another pre-trip report of our upcoming Disney adventures!

:wave: :cheer2:

We didn't turn out very photogenic in this, so to prove I have some great wedding pics, here's one of me with the boys as a bonus:

So cute!

Of course I wanted to cram in another trip, but didn't think we could make it work.

There's always room to cram another Disney trip in :rotfl:

Following along, we are going down in November and February and just got back from a nine night stay at the Poly, we loved it there. It was awesome. I am now tweaking and planning my November trip, we are doing a MVMCP and we did MNSSHP this August. So fun!

Joining in! This is our first time doing multiple trips in a year too so I'm excited to see your plans!

:wave: :cheer2:

So cute!

There's always room to cram another Disney trip in :rotfl:

Room to cram it in, just like cookies into a VCR :rotfl:

Following along, we are going down in November and February and just got back from a nine night stay at the Poly, we loved it there. It was awesome. I am now tweaking and planning my November trip, we are doing a MVMCP and we did MNSSHP this August. So fun!

Woohoo!! Lots of trips, I love it. I'm glad to hear you liked the Polynesian. I've been there countless times for meals and other things, and I'm excited for my first stay there. It was sad seeing all the tree damage from Irma this morning on social media, though! I hope no other hurricanes decide to roll through in October. I had originally wanted a room in Fiji, but ended up requesting Rarotonga for location, curious where we'll end up.

Joining in! This is our first time doing multiple trips in a year too so I'm excited to see your plans!

Another multi-trip traveler, that's awesome!! I still get just as excited as I do when the trips are a year apart, I really thought that more trips would ease the post-Disney depression, but it seems to be making it worse!!

33 more days until Trip 1 of this PTR!!

That's it!

How is that possible??

mulan.gif

Since I started this TR so close to the trip date, I think I'm going to just dive right in to daily plans. I always hesitate to start pre-trip reports, but then I cave in because I value being able to talk through my plans and see them laid out in front of me. It's one thing to look at a list of activities in a spreadsheet, but totally another to see plans typed up in fully formed sentences...and with fun gifs!

mushu.gif

I will start with our travel day - because plans for that are very straightforward.

We fly out of a semi-local airport (it's about an hour away - we prefer to fly out of the one in our town, but costs were astronomical for October for some reason!!) to Dallas (where I've never been before, usually we switch planes in Atlanta on Delta, but we're on American this time). We have a layover of an hour or so, and then make our way to MCO.

We land later in the evening, so even though we're within the window for luggage pick up, we're going to get it ourselves so they're not knocking on our door at midnight with our bags. Our first night is at Pop, and is just basically checking in and falling asleep. It will be dark, so I don't know how much exploring we'll do, but I want to check out the big icons in front of the buildings!

See? pretty boring, just like most travel days!

mulan2.gif

(ok, maybe not for Mulan...but I'm not zipling in on a lantern!)

The next morning, our first full day, is going to get off to a busy, busy, busy start.

I will get up bright (or maybe dark!) and early

mushu3.gif

and start getting ready. I was hoping Minnie Vans would be rolled out to all resorts by this point, but it isn't looking like that is going to happen :sad: So I guess we will take a regular old Uber or Taxi with our bags and carry ons over to the Polynesian. Maybe I'll bring along some paper polka dots to tape on the uber!!

I would let Disney take care of transferring our luggage, but I don't want to take the chance of the bags not being at the Poly later in the day when we need them.

After we get to the Poly and leave our stuff with bell services, we are headed to the Magic Kingdom.

It will be my mom's very first Disney park experience EVER!! No matter what the crowds were predicted to be, I knew our first day would HAVE to be at MK. Magic Kingdom hasn't been my first park in YEARS, so I think this will be a great way to kick off the trip. It's open from 9 - 7 (party night) so we should be able to get there in plenty of time.

I want to start in Adventureland with Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean as our first two rides. Depending on how crowds/timing is looking after that, I might ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad by myself. My mom is a ride chicken!!

If it looks like it's shaping up to be a busy day, I'll skip Big Thunder and we'll go right to the Haunted Mansion, and follow that up with Small World (we may come back to this later). Our first fast pass of the day is for Peter Pan's Flight!

peter pan.gif

The window for this closes at 10:40, and the next FP window opens at 10:55, so I think we'll just take in the scenery for a bit and I'll show her around Fantasyland.

After Peter Pan is a fast pass for...

dumbo3.gif

Dumbo! Another Disney classic!

I have my doubts about this Fast Pass, and I'm 90% sure I'm going to change it, for a couple of reasons. First, because of the time, it's going to cause us to have to back track for lunch. And second, I don't know if we'll really *need* a fast pass for this, or if we even need to ride it on our first day. We can always do this on our MNSSHP night with minimal wait.

Why would we have to backtrack for lunch? Because we are eating at Be Our Guest! I originally had a lunch scheduled here for our last MK day of the trip, but found this reservation instead and booked it. We will order on the app at some point before going in, because it's so much quicker than waiting to order once arriving.

be our guest.gif

Speaking of backtracking again, I also really want to FINALLY meet the Pete's Silly Sideshow characters. I've ended up missing it on every single previous trip, and I do not want to come home disappointed again! If I keep Dumbo's fast pass in there, we might not have time to visit them right after that...I really like to tour in a circle without going back and forth too much, so this little section of the day needs work!

Our final fast pass for this day is for meeting Mickey Mouse in Town Square. This is another pass I'm thinking about changing. Mainly b/c talking Mickey kind of freaks me out!! But also b/c we are going to meet Mickey and the gang at Epcot the next day, and if I meet Town Square Mickey, I'd rather it be on party night when he's in his vampire costume.

Hmm...now I feel like as soon as I type this up I need to go see what FPs are available for that day!

See?? This is why I end up being glad I did a PTR!

At this point in the day, we'll be heading out of the park, hopefully after receiving a room ready text from the Polynesian!!

I want us to have plenty of time to get to our room, get organized, and relax a little bit before going to dinner.

We are park hopping to Epcot for the evening, with dinner at San Angel Inn. I feel like between Be Our Guest and San Angel, I'll have nailed it with showing my mom impressively themed restaurants!! No other plans at Epcot, really, but I imagine we'll wander the World Showcase for awhile. I have no idea if we'll stay for Illuminations or call it an early night.

Whew! That seems like a very, very busy first full day in the parks! Even though it's pretty packed with activities, we're keeping the planned attractions to a minimum (although we will throw in whatever sounds fun along the way!) and making good use of time, I think!

Day two coming up later this week...with more things I'm on the fence about, this time, it's an ADR!

See you real soon!!

Day 1 sounds great! It's good that you're not overplanning it since it will be your mom's first park day ever! Also with the shorter hours hopefully the crowds won't be so bad at MK. What if you move your Dumbo FP to after lunch so you can do that and Pete's Silly Sideshow after you eat?

How did I not know you started a PTR?!? But I'm here now!!

We didn't turn out very photogenic in this

What?!? I beg to differ but you both look amazing.

Aww love this!

I do feel the need to say, just b/c we aren't close doesn't mean we hate each other or anything. It's just sort of...different. I love and admire her so much. She became my mother when she was 17, raised me mostly by herself until I was 8 when she married my stepdad, and survived cancer. This trip will celebrate almost three years post treatment, and I'm glad I get to take her on this special vacation. She taught me how to be strong and independent and to not rely on anyone but myself. It might not have been pretty, but it made me who I am. No matter what our relationship is like, I feel like she deserves to go on a cool trip and have the full Disney experience.

That's really sweet. I hope she ends up loving Disney as much as you do!!

I have lots of fun things planned for this trip including my very first Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!! My family did our first hard ticket party last December and loooved MVMCP, so I know the Halloween party is going to be awesome. As long as I see those Haunted Mansion ballroom dancers in the parade, I'm going to call it a success!

It's our first MNSSHP too this November!

We are so excited!! We are going to eat so much food!! #priorities

Love the picture, but love your priorities even more!

As soon as this trip even became a possibility, I started making ADRs so we would be prepared! I have reservations at MK for 12/30 and Epcot for 12/31, so no matter what else happens for the rest of the trip, we know where we'll be for New Year's Eve. We're people who go to bed at 10, so making it to midnight in the most magical place on earth is going to be something very special!

Great thinking! That's exactly what I'd do too!!!

It will be my mom's very first Disney park experience EVER!! No matter what the crowds were predicted to be, I knew our first day would HAVE to be at MK. Magic Kingdom hasn't been my first park in YEARS, so I think this will be a great way to kick off the trip. It's open from 9 - 7 (party night) so we should be able to get there in plenty of time.

I want to start in Adventureland with Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean as our first two rides. Depending on how crowds/timing is looking after that, I might ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad by myself. My mom is a ride chicken!!

If it looks like it's shaping up to be a busy day, I'll skip Big Thunder and we'll go right to the Haunted Mansion, and follow that up with Small World (we may come back to this later). Our first fast pass of the day is for Peter Pan's Flight!

Nice first plans! All the classics :)

Dumbo! Another Disney classic!

I have my doubts about this Fast Pass, and I'm 90% sure I'm going to change it, for a couple of reasons. First, because of the time, it's going to cause us to have to back track for lunch. And second, I don't know if we'll really *need* a fast pass for this, or if we even need to ride it on our first day. We can always do this on our MNSSHP night with minimal wait.

You probably don't need an FP for this, but what would you do instead?

Why would we have to backtrack for lunch? Because we are eating at Be Our Guest! I originally had a lunch scheduled here for our last MK day of the trip, but found this reservation instead and booked it. We will order on the app at some point before going in, because it's so much quicker than waiting to order once arriving.

Yay!!

Our final fast pass for this day is for meeting Mickey Mouse in Town Square. This is another pass I'm thinking about changing. Mainly b/c talking Mickey kind of freaks me out!! But also b/c we are going to meet Mickey and the gang at Epcot the next day, and if I meet Town Square Mickey, I'd rather it be on party night when he's in his vampire costume.

Ooh vampire costume?!? That sounds awesome!

See?? This is why I end up being glad I did a PTR!

I'm glad you did too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter