Oops! I'm 3 weeks out from our disney trip and tore my calf muscle

uvabeachbum

Earning My Ears
It looks like I will be wheelchair bound for the trip as I do not think that I will be able to handle crutches for that length of time. We are trying to plan our trip and I have a few questions. I prefer to wait in line where I can. Is there a list anywhere of attractions where this will not be possible? I have 2 kids (3 and 4) and I want to minimize the hassle for my wife. Also, can a wheelchair or ECV be accomodated on buses?

Originally posted by uvabeachbum
It looks like I will be wheelchair bound for the trip as I do not think that I will be able to handle crutches for that length of time. We are trying to plan our trip and I have a few questions. I prefer to wait in line where I can. Is there a list anywhere of attractions where this will not be possible? I have 2 kids (3 and 4) and I want to minimize the hassle for my wife. Also, can a wheelchair or ECV be accomodated on buses?

Definately consider renting off site a ecv...they are cheaper and you can take them park to park. They also work great on the buses. The wheelchair thing isnt a great idea becaus with the young kids and pushing it could get very tiring for you and your wife! Walker is a great place to rent from...I had nothing but a great experience with them!
Aimee

The days of not waiting in line with a wheelchair left in 1998 unless you are a Make a Wish kid. In fact you will find that you will sometimes wait longer then those that don't have a wheelchair.

Here are the urls and phone numbers for off-site rentaLS:

Walker Mobility:
888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
407-856-2273, Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Randy'S Mobility is in Kissimmee
http://randysmobility.com
407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
800-747-0246

ScootAround
http://www.scootaround.com
Toll-free, US and Canada 888-441-7575

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. Except for Randy's, they will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

Your wife should be able to use a double stroller for the kids. There should not be any problems with Disney Transportation, buses, monorails or boats (except possibly boat between WL and MK).

One word of warning. Do NOT allow the children to ride on the ECV with you. They could accidentally jam the controls and cause injuries to you or other guests.

I have bursitis of the hip, was put on crutches, fell on the crutches, and now I am in a wheelchair!:eek: Anyway, as a person who normally walks, using a wheelchair at Disney is a brand new experience! The bathrooms are the worst--wheelchair assessible doesn't mean the same thing across the board. Some bathrooms have enough rooms for just you and a wheelchair, no turning around space, and scraped knuckles from the too narrow doorways are common. Some of the doors are a real danger--what's with a double door entrance to the bathrooms, anyway??? And why do they need springs on the doors that are strong enough to further disable a person?? Some bathrooms do not have grab bars positioned correctly to be able to get up from the toilets, and many places have thresholds that are much too high for a wheelchair to easily go over without help. Is there someone going to Florida with you who is the same sex as you? Otherwise, you will depend on the kindness of strangers, who have been very, very helpful to me. The most difficult part was getting here on a plane. Airlines don't do well with handicapped people--they were kind, but you still have to walk on and off the plane under your own power, which is very hard if you are unable to walk. After taking a trip to WDW in a wheelchair, you will return home wanting to campaign Congress for uniform laws concerning handicapped facilities.:mad:

UVAbeachbum, please consider spending the extra money & renting an ECV from an off site company. It is well worth your & your family's comfort this trip. If you have the ECV, then your wife can concentrate on the children & their stroller & other supplies. Please take soem time & read through the other threads here on ECVs.

I have rented many times from Walker & have had very good service consistently. I have used the WDW transportation (busses, monorails, boats) with the ECV & have found CMs to be very friendly & aware of what I need to get on & off their mode of transportation.

Enjoy the trip - this is not the end of the world!

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
I The most difficult part was getting here on a plane. Airlines don't do well with handicapped people--they were kind, but you still have to walk on and off the plane under your own power, which is very hard if you are unable to walk. After taking a trip to WDW in a wheelchair, you will return home wanting to campaign Congress for uniform laws concerning handicapped facilities.:mad:

You do not have to walk on and off the plane under your own power if you request isle wheelchair assistance, you transfer from the wheelchair to the isle chair and from the isle chair to the seat and vice versa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter