Opening Ceremony?

AStamm

DIS Veteran
We'll be coming to DL for the 1st time this June 17-24 and was wondering if there is an opening ceremony similar to what happens at WDW each morning...singing, characters on the train, family selected to open the park, etc. This is one of my very favorite things to see at WDW--always brings a tear to my eye and gets me ready for a great day of fun.

No, there isn't. The closest we get is usually the DL band comes out to the gate area to play (on Saturdays they do, anyway). There might be a few characters, but they usually wait until the park has been open for a bit before getting to that area.

On a day where DL opens at 9:00 or 10:00, you can enter main street 30 minutes early. They'll do a rope drop at the end of main street, and they play a recording of Walt's opening day speech at park opening time. I think it's the one where he says "To all who come to this happy place - Welcome." While this isn't a ceremony, it's like an opening announcement, and I love hearing it. I've got to catch it on video next trip!

It would probably take a true Disney nut to appreciate it - but that's me!

There is also a "rededication" ceremony at the end of main street/ train station at about 10 am (see the schedule for exact times). There are Characters, the mayor of main street, the band, and Walts speach is played. It lasts about 15 minutes.

Both of these sound like must-dos for me...although I am extremely disappointed that I won't be hearing "good morning...good morning" each day.

When we were there in November, the Mad Hatter and Alice in Wonderland came to the area where the big Christmas Tree is and a marching band was also there welcoming everyone. The Mad Hatter got all of the kids that were there to march with him around the band. Both our kids (10 & 5) joined and had a ball.

A few years ago the band would march out front to the Mickey Mouse Club theme song. Then once inside they would raise the flag to the Star Spangled Banner,and then posablibly(sp?) Star and Stripes for Ever. I presonally love retreat at sunset. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter