opinion on flying on evening of half?

SueInBoston

DIS Veteran
this will be a solo trip so I'm trying to save on hotel. I'm thinking of flying home non stop (approx 6.5 hours from LAX to Bos) in the evening after running the half in the morning. Flight will be around 8pm non stop. I will have ran 5k on Fri, 10k on Sat and half on Sunday. Any word of warning that this is a big no no? FWIW...I'm a casual runner at about 12-13 pace.

Thanks!

I have flown within a few hours of finishing a half a few times. When I fly like this, I wear compression tights. Never had a problem.

But walk around the plane after liftoff to prevent possible clots on such a long flight

It's not something I would willingly do.

I get the urge to save money, but solo trips are just as worth spending money on as are family trips.

Hi,
I spent a couple of days in the parks before flying back from LAX to Edinburgh.

If heading back the same day I would head back to the hotel after the race and go to the hot tub and/or pool for while to relax the muscles. I did that and then went to the parks and the legs were feeling pretty good the next day

I would not do it willingly, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Like someone else has mentioned, wear compression socks for the flight home. Also try to take is a extra sports drink to help replenish salt and H2O levels to avoid cramps. Hope this helps and good luck.

I drove back home (12+ hours) within 2 hrs of finishing the 2013 WDW marathon. Needless to say, I survived but I would not recommend it. I bought some compression socks at the Expo for the occasion. It definitely was fun trying to get those on after that run. I have learned my lesson from that experience and have scheduled an extra day in the hotel for recovery for my long races.

this will be a solo trip so I'm trying to save on hotel. I'm thinking of flying home non stop (approx 6.5 hours from LAX to Bos) in the evening after running the half in the morning. Flight will be around 8pm non stop. I will have ran 5k on Fri, 10k on Sat and half on Sunday. Any word of warning that this is a big no no? FWIW...I'm a casual runner at about 12-13 pace.

Thanks!
I did the disneyland Dumbo challenge earlier this month. 10k Sat, 1/2 Sunday. I walked around the parks and then took a redeye flight home from LAX to RDU that night.

It's definitely do-able but here's some things that can make it more comfortable.

1. If you are not petite get extra leg room. It doesn't need to be first class but something like economy comfort/ premium economy can make it nice to spread out those legs a little more. It's usually a small upcharge to get that $25 if you don't have status on the airline.
2. What terminal are you flying out of LAX. If it's going to be crowded you might want to pay to get into the airlines club. It will give you lots more space to spread out. A much more comfortable place to sit and free food/beverages depending on the club. It will also give you a place to shower. if you don't have time to get one after the race.
3. Take an ice bath after the race. I know the science doesn't necessarily support it but I find my legs do better if I ice them after multiple race days.
4. Compression wear is great. If you wear tights instead of compression socks it can set off the scanner at the airport. ( yes I've had to go through a more detailed search because of that)
5. Walk around a lot. Walk around in the airport, on the plane and in the afternoon after the race.

I ran Wine and Dine 1/2 last year finished in a miserable time and was soaking wet. I was back to the hotel between 2-3. Took a shower, changed and was in a cab no later than 3:30. I was on a flight home first thing which was like 6am. I had to be back to NYC for a baby shower so had to take the first flight back. I would never willingly do it but I had no issue.

We did almost exactly that. We ran the Star Wars half, spent the afternoon celebrating at Trader Sams and DTD, then took the red eye home to Boston. Besides being very tired (I felt myself dozing off while waiting at the gate), it worked out fine. :)

Thank you all for your opinion and advice. This definitely sounds doable with some planning. I'm still debating as I will be by myself for the SW Half. I was just there earlier this month for DDD with my daughter so we did all the park things already. This is really just a splurge of a race weekend (I got in for the Dark side and couldn't resist the lure of the DL SW half).

I've never had an issue - and have flown after completing a marathon. You'll be a little stiff. Motrin or Aleve will help with the soreness and tightening up. Aisle seat might be your friend as you could kick your legs into the aisle for parts of the flight.

I'm curious about the replies to this. My big goal is to do the Glass Slipper Challenge in 2017, but if I'm still in my current job or same school district, I would only be able to take one day off. Which would have to be Friday so I could make it to the Expo before the Saturday 10K, meaning flying home on Sunday afternoon after the half to get back for work Monday.

I have done this for quite a few runDisney races. I will echo everyone else's advice- take an ice bath or sit in the hot tub, pop a mortin, enjoy walking around the parks, put on compression sleeves and get on the plane. I always sleep so well on the day of half flights just from being physically exhausted. Of course in a perfect world I would always love to fly out the day after (or longer) but with jobs and time off and all of the hassle that goes with that flying the day of the race is the difference between being able to make the race weekend work or having to skip it altogether. If it's something that you have to do, take all the advice, plan accordingly and you'll be fine. :goodvibes

... pop a mortin, enjoy walking around the parks, ...

I would NOT recommend popping any Motrin, or any NSAIDs - that's dangerous to your kidneys (i think) according to the Disney race doctor.

This is from the Event Guide from Disney:
Recent medical research has shown that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Advil, Motrin, Aleve, ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc. may be harmful to runners’ kidney function if taken within 24 hours of running. Only acetaminophen (GoodSense) has been shown to be safe.

NSAIDs are thought to increase the possibility of hyponatremia while running long distances by decreasing blood flow to the kidneys and interfering with a hormone that helps the body retain salt. Therefore it is recommended that on race day (specifically beginning midnight before you run) you DO NOT use anything but acetaminophen (GoodSense) if needed until 6 hours after you have finished the race, are able to drink without any nausea or vomiting, have urinated once, and feel physically and mentally back to normal. Then, a NSAID would be beneficial in preventing post-event muscle soreness

Last edited:
From what I've read, it's bad before a run but hours later should be just fine. Even Disney's guide you quoted say afterwards is beneficial if you aren't feel nauseated...

"Do not take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, NSAIDs, (Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc,) the night before or during the race, as they are a risk for hyponatremia. If you must, take Tylenol (acetaminophen) during the race — only as prescribed on the bottle. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc.) can be taken only after you finish and have urinated once. By then you are no longer at risk for hyponatremia. These meds reduce inflammation and if they do not bother your stomach can be taken as recommended on the bottle."

http://www.runrocknroll.com/medical/recovery/

*as with any medical advice, OP, ask your doctor to decide for yourself for sure, instead of relying on medical advice from people on the internet

Last edited:
I did this for the Princess half marathon this year. It was my second half marathon ever. Ran it with average pace of 13 min. I got back to the hotel and my knees were dying. By lunch time, my legs refused to respond to my directions. So much for exploring Coronado Springs. I basically sat on a chair overlooking the lake for a couple of hours. Then I dragged myself to the Magical Express, popped an Aleve, boarded my plane at 5:00pm and flew straight to Los Angeles. I was a little stiff when I got off the plane, but was otherwise fine.

I'll probably end up doing the same exact thing when I do the Dark Side Challenge next April!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter