Opinions Needed: POFQ or AOA Suites - traveling with kids and grandparents

FlyingBelle

DIS Veteran
Hello! We're planning our annual late Feb/early Mar trip. This time my in-laws have asked to come along (which is great, they come along every 3 years or so). So we'll be a group of 6, and I foot the bill for the resort. Grandma & Grandpa are in their 70's. Grandma has a lot of spunk, but Grandpa is slowing down and can't walk as far without pain. This may be the last time he can travel with us. The kiddos are 11 and 7.

I'm debating between 2 resorts:

POFQ - one of our favorites (DH and I) but the kids think it's "just like any hotel not at Disney" because it's not in-your-face Disney themed. Don't get me wrong, they had a ton of fun there, but not their first choice. Not only to DH & I love it, but I think it will be good for Grandpa so he doesn't have to walk as much at the resort. I would have to get 2 rooms for all 6 of us.

AOA Suites - so this is where the kids want to stay, and the family suites look so cute! We stayed here once in the Little Mermaid room. It was way too far from the main building for our liking, but we absolutely loved the resort. I'm worried about the amount of walking and how "close" we'll all be in the one room. But it also saves me about $500 total over getting 2 rooms at POFQ.

A couple of questions:
  1. How many bathrooms are in the AOA suites? I thought it was 1, but on another thread someone mentioned 2 bathrooms.
  2. How crowded are the suites? Has anyone stayed in one with 4 adults and 2 kids?
  3. How comfortable are the pull-down murphy beds?
  4. Is there a preferred room option at AOA? (where we could request a suite closer to the main building/transportation)
  5. I know this is subjective, but do you think it's worth the extra $500 for two rooms at FQ? We're not super tight on budget, but for an extra $500 we could do an extra park day.
Note: I'm considering renting a scooter for Grandpa in the parks. Not sure he'll do it though, last time he refused. So not worth it to rent from an outside company to have the whole trip - it would be too much of a hassle to take it on the buses and everything. Renting in the park would give us the flexibility for the days where he's a little too tired out to keep up with us.

Appreciate the opinions!

Hello! We're planning our annual late Feb/early Mar trip. This time my in-laws have asked to come along (which is great, they come along every 3 years or so). So we'll be a group of 6, and I foot the bill for the resort. Grandma & Grandpa are in their 70's. Grandma has a lot of spunk, but Grandpa is slowing down and can't walk as far without pain. This may be the last time he can travel with us. The kiddos are 11 and 7.

I'm debating between 2 resorts:

POFQ - one of our favorites (DH and I) but the kids think it's "just like any hotel not at Disney" because it's not in-your-face Disney themed. Don't get me wrong, they had a ton of fun there, but not their first choice. Not only to DH & I love it, but I think it will be good for Grandpa so he doesn't have to walk as much at the resort. I would have to get 2 rooms for all 6 of us.

AOA Suites - so this is where the kids want to stay, and the family suites look so cute! We stayed here once in the Little Mermaid room. It was way too far from the main building for our liking, but we absolutely loved the resort. I'm worried about the amount of walking and how "close" we'll all be in the one room. But it also saves me about $500 total over getting 2 rooms at POFQ.

A couple of questions:
  1. How many bathrooms are in the AOA suites? I thought it was 1, but on another thread someone mentioned 2 bathrooms.
  2. How crowded are the suites? Has anyone stayed in one with 4 adults and 2 kids?
  3. How comfortable are the pull-down murphy beds?
  4. Is there a preferred room option at AOA? (where we could request a suite closer to the main building/transportation)
  5. I know this is subjective, but do you think it's worth the extra $500 for two rooms at FQ? We're not super tight on budget, but for an extra $500 we could do an extra park day.

1. There's 2 bathrooms.

2. They are the size of 2 Little Mermaid rooms.

3. Not bad.

4. No. The Finding Nemo Suites are popular and are closest to Animation Hall so they are more expensive than the others.

5. To us no it's not. We would rather pay less and be guaranteed to be together instead of taking a chance of the 2 roo s nowhere near each other.

I would stay at POFQ. It is a moderate resort with nicer amenities overall and a boat to Disney Springs which is very nice. But, more than that you will have 2 rooms and 4 real beds. Grandma and Grandpa would be very comfortable in their own space and it is nice to have that privacy/separation sometimes for everyone. I would save the trip to AoA for a year when the grandparents are not coming along.

AoA is cute, and you DO have 2 bathrooms, but it is the equivalent of 2 value rooms (just over 500 sq ft) which is smaller than 2 moderate rooms (just over 600 sq ft). The beds are harder, the linens not as nice, the atmosphere is busier and louder. I love the food court and the theming at both resorts, but for a relaxing place to retreat after a busy day in the parks, POFQ would certainly be my choice. AoA is much larger so the distance to the transportation and food court may be further. Certainly the walk from the theme parks to the bus stop will be longer for AoA than for POFQ. AoA has POP next door, but POFQ has POR and DS, both of which can add extra dining and activities that you can easily take advantage of during your stay at POFQ.

Some people say that the sleeping options are good at the AoA, but I would not want to sleep on anything but a real bed and I would hesitate to put my parents on one of those either. With only one real bed, that would be enough to rule out AoA for me. Add into the mix that there is only one thermostat for both rooms, so temperature comfort level may be an issue as well. You do get a small kitchenette in AoA, but you get a fridge and coffeemaker in the POFQ rooms which can sponsor some light snacks/ continental breakfasts.

$500 is a good bit of money, but if the budget allows, it would be important to me to have the more comfortable living conditions than most other optional extras. just my opinion, of course.

Dansdad makes good points that seem to favour of staying in AoA. It just goes to show that different things are important to different people. And even what is most important on one trip can be different the next time around for the same people. We have happily stayed in the value resorts as well. It all boils down to what is the most important for your family on this visit.

Good luck choosing! There is no right or wrong here and both options are great Disney resorts. I am sure that you will enjoy whichever you choose!!

We are in a similar situation, although I’m also looking at off property options. It’s our family of four plus my mom, first week of March. However, for our dates the agency exclusive offer at POFQ is actually $200 less for a week than the AoA Suites. As fun as AoA seems in its theming, I know my mom would rather have her own space (possibly one of the kids will crash with her some nights, we’ll see). We did POFQ with my dad and stepmom last year and got connecting rooms, and it worked great. So for us it was easy to rule out AoA.

It’s coming in at the top end of our budget for this trip, compared to staying off property and possibly having more space. But it might be worth it to be in the bubble...and if we skipped a rental car/parking fees it might be competitive. (I really like having a car, though!)

We are in a similar situation, although I’m also looking at off property options. It’s our family of four plus my mom, first week of March. However, for our dates the agency exclusive offer at POFQ is actually $200 less for a week than the AoA Suites. As fun as AoA seems in its theming, I know my mom would rather have her own space (possibly one of the kids will crash with her some nights, we’ll see). We did POFQ with my dad and stepmom last year and got connecting rooms, and it worked great. So for us it was easy to rule out AoA.

It’s coming in at the top end of our budget for this trip, compared to staying off property and possibly having more space. But it might be worth it to be in the bubble...and if we skipped a rental car/parking fees it might be competitive. (I really like having a car, though!)

Last time they came with us we stayed off property in a 3-bedroom condo. It was great being able to spread out! I though it was really nice and enjoyed having a full kitchen and living room. And it was about the cost of 1 room at a moderate. However my MIL said this time she really wants to stay on property. Actually, she said she wants to stay at the Wilderness Lodge - but she knows that's out of budget for this trip.

Really appreciate everyone's opinions - not sure it's helping me make a decision, but some good points!

We stayed at AOA suites with my in-laws and honestly, I would rather get two rooms at a moderate for reasons already mentioned above. The boat to Disney Springs may be a great option for the grandparents which POFQ would allow for. Have you looked into renting a two bedroom DVC suite? They are awesome! Full kitchen, laundry, two bathrooms, and a ton more space that AOA at a comparable price

For the sake of everyone’s sanity I’d get 2 rooms. Pofq is a great resort. Building 4 is very close to the main building and bus stops also the pool and hot tub.
I think the POR resorts have the best room assignors in WDW. In addition to noting both rooms as traveling together, on your reservation I’d fax room assignors 5 days before arrival with your room requests and both reservation #s.

DH and I shared an AoA suite with my DIL and 3 grandkids. If it had been for more than 2 nights, we would've gone nuts with how crowded it felt.

It's always nice to have space of one's own when traveling with extended family. So 2 rooms is the better option either at a value other than AoA or at one of the moderates. I love POFQ and WL because the footprint is so small -- particularly as my stamina and mobility decrease with age.

Watch for discounts. WL is worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!