Opinions on best time to book Southwest flights

For travel during winter/spring break season for the most part prices don't go down, especially if you have to travel on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. I would almost always book when the flights were released.

If you're a bit more flexible, you can get good deals during spring break. One year we decided on a last minute, off-site stay. We went Tuesday to Tuesday (kids missed 2 days of school) and I paid $175 r/t per person.

Isn't this the truth. Everything is turning into connecting. The only good thing is my son moved an hour north into CT. and we can fly DELTA, with a stop in Michigan and it will land in CT at some little airport.

I've always monitored daily and ended up book around day 55-60. $74 each way per person happens for us this way.

There are many articles online that say 56 days in advance.

The booking way in advance and taking the credit doesn't really make a difference to me - we take 1 big vacation a year and since we have got $39 Allegiant flights, our SW credit expired anyway.

SW credit card for the points in the way to go.

No, you have to apply for the credit. It isn't done automatically with no effort on your part.

I called Southwest, got right through to a rep. Who adjusted my ticket. I now have $112 travel credit for future flight. I think I’m going to love Southwest!
Thank you for posting this info, I would never have known. I usually fly United, I don’t think they have this policy, this is my first flight with SW.😀

The best time to book is the first day that tickets are for sale. Just like Disney cruises. The mythical prices drops never occur. Prices only increase.

For Southwest specifically, this is not always true. Southwest runs sales pretty much every Tuesday and at other times of the week as well. Last year, we flew to MCO in August and December. I initially booked our August trip in March. I rebooked at a lower price in May. For the December trip, I originally booked in July and I rebooked at a lower price in August.

I called Southwest, got right through to a rep. Who adjusted my ticket. I now have $112 travel credit for future flight. I think I’m going to love Southwest!
Thank you for posting this info, I would never have known. I usually fly United, I don’t think they have this policy, this is my first flight with SW.😀
Remember that travel credit expires from when the trip was booked, not when you actually fly. Glad you were able to get the credit and I hope you can use it. :)

For Southwest specifically, this is not always true. Southwest runs sales pretty much every Tuesday and at other times of the week as well. Last year, we flew to MCO in August and December. I initially booked our August trip in March. I rebooked at a lower price in May. For the December trip, I originally booked in July and I rebooked at a lower price in August.

Yes but when the price goes down with Alaska Airlines and Southwest you can get a credit if the price drops.

If you fly on Southwest 3-4x per year, I would recommend booking as soon as the tickets are released and then checking back to get a credit if the price drops. (Can be done self-service on website). For our Disney trip last August, I waited for a sale. The prices never went down compared to the day the tickets were released. I eventually booked during a "sale," then got a credit during a different "sale" when prices went down $13. The sale prices were better than the advertised prices at the time, but no better than the release day pricing.
I'm sure this varies depending on your route. This was BWI/MCO, and BWI is one of their hubs. Flights were close to full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter