Opinions on which room(s) for large family

Wendy Fiorilli

Earning My Ears
My mother is thinking of taking my family (myself, husband, 2 sons 18 & 16), my sister's family (sister, husband, son 22, daughter 17) and herself to Disney World. What villas are best for this large of a family or would we be better off with each getting a family suite of our own at Art of Animation? TIA!

We have gone several times with my large family. We always get separate rooms.

We need the space. We needed our space when the kids were little and now when the kids are young adults.

We have gotten rooms at AKL, POR FQ and CSR. These resorts were great for our family; easy transportation, great pools and rooms could be together in the same area.

Separate rooms for sure. Have you considered renting DVC points? Each family could stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom unit.

Some DVC 2 bedroom villas sleep 9, but I think it would be brutal. The 2 bed units at Kidani and BLT each have 3 full bathrooms so those are the most likely to work. Maybe rent points and pick up a 2 bed and a studio. That would give you a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

Hmmm..maybe check out Old Key West or maybe 2 cabins in Fort Wilderness?
Is grandma going to float between the families? :-)

I'm a Wilderness Lodge Villa fan so that would honestly be my first choice.

Last edited:

My mother is thinking of taking my family (myself, husband, 2 sons 18 & 16), my sister's family (sister, husband, son 22, daughter 17) and herself to Disney World. What villas are best for this large of a family or would we be better off with each getting a family suite of our own at Art of Animation? TIA!

We're staying at AoA one night and all the rest WL in a villa. My 3 "kids" fall exactly in age with the" kids" in your party.
I seriously think a week or more at Lion King Family Suites would visually drive us all nuts.
Have you seen the décor? Pretty harsh/strong IMO for a long vacation or with people of your and my parties ages.

A grand villa would work (it's 3 bedrooms). Otherwise, I would probably do three separate rooms or two family suites if your mom is comfortable staying with you or your sister.

The grand villa at Old Key West is very large, but you're still looking at 3 bedrooms. How would the teenagers split up? Will the brothers sleep in one bed, will each teen have his/her own bed, will the kids and parents share a bedroom? Will you bring air mattresses? I would expect grandma gets her own bed and if you get a DVC villa that takes out the master bedroom and leaves you 2 rooms with 2 beds each and the living room with a sleeper sofa and single chair/bed.

Good luck figuring it all out and have a great time.

I think that really is wonderful btw :love1: Hopefully you will cherish it and have great memories.

My mom did the same thing once with my adult siblings and our families. She reserved us all cabins....... it was wonderful.
I was thrilled 5 yrs later to then be able to afford to take her back to Disney on vacation with us.
This time though I got us adjoining rooms. We could open the door if we wanted to be all together and at night shut the door. lol

We stayed at AKV Kidani in a 2 bedroom with 6 adults, and I wouldn't want many more than that. I'd either go with a Grand Villa or separate rooms. Three separate rooms at like POFQ will run about $250/room/night, so 3 rooms would be $750/night. As a PP mentioned, you could also try multiple cabins, although their price is often very similar to AoA. If your family has a fun playful side, then AoA may be fine. Just be prepared for little kids. You could also look at renting DVC points and getting three studios at VGF, Poly, BRV, BCV, or BWV. These all have three sleeping surfaces. One bedrooms at OKW, AKV, VGF, and BLT also have 3 sleep surfaces.

I would go with a separate villa for each of the nuclear families. A 2-bedroom villa would provide the most privacy for everyone (2Q or 1Q + full sleeper sofa in the 2nd bedroom, pull out sleeper sofa in the living room and 1K in the master bedroom). Grandma gets to share with the smaller family. AKV Kidani has 3 full bathrooms in the 2-bedroom villas. Very nice when traveling with all adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!