Orange Lake Information Thread

I did not get any chance to fish, but talked to a Good Ole Boy (about 16 and all country). He was getting his rod out and tackle ready. I asked how the fishing is and he pulled out a bunch of smaller ones ~2Lbs. He said he caught a 4Lber near the golf course before getting chased off. He was trying to fish at the big lake the boat rentals are on, but he was asked not to because there had been a 4-5 gator roaming the area the night before. They had closed the beach off as well for a time being.

Ok....lets talk options for renting at Orange Lake. I use Redweek and TUG for all my rentals. What other places are good for getting rentals at Orange Lake. I am running out of time. :eek:

I think West Village-Tennis Villas is what I really prefer but if Tubes and golf were included then I would look for an owner of River Island section. Thanks dantedisney for clearing that up!!! :thumbsup2

Last edited:
The only way to get a last minute deal that you are looking for is someone that "owns that particular week" and can't use it. And because you want Tennis Villas, that is even harder to find, someone that owns that week in tennis villas. I believe that you are still going in "prime season" I am not sure you are going to find the deal you are looking for. River Island Signature is not that big of an area to get into, so I would almost count that out. I wouldn't imagine anyone will have that particular week they are not using. And yes, if you stay at River Island Signature collection you do get wrist bands for your entire stay for your entire party, you must pick them up from concierage, and return the bands at the end of your stay.
As far as rentals, you are looking where most people would place an ad for rent. Good luck

My experience with the Tennis Villas and the family that was removed, if you are not an Elite member or just below it, you are not getting in those towers. I was told specifically that they are reserved for Elite and if available Prestige members. You can make a request for the Tennis villas, but it is not likely without a high member renting it.

My view of RI is that the towers are nice, but the crowds and some of the people there made me not want to stay more than an hour.

My experience with the Tennis Villas and the family that was removed, if you are not an Elite member or just below it, you are not getting in those towers. I was told specifically that they are reserved for Elite and if available Prestige members. You can make a request for the Tennis villas, but it is not likely without a high member renting it.

My view of RI is that the towers are nice, but the crowds and some of the people there made me not want to stay more than an hour.
River Island is all interior hallways more hotel style. Although they are nice. I much prefer my drive up unit on Springer Circle. Tennis villas are not for just "Elite ore prestige" its because they have just recently been refurbished. Everyone wants them. Myself, waiting for the elevator, and carrying baggage up. I again prefer the golf villas.

For me the Tennis Villas is my preference because they have screened balconies not due to being renovated. I do not like the open patios they have in the "golf villas". I like to enjoy my balcony which means I prefer it to be bug-free, squirrel-free, bird-free...well you get the picture :laughing:
I am really starting to wonder with all the upgrades and renovations at OLR why haven't they enclosed the patios. It wouldn't take away from the look of the resort at all. To most people, an enclosed patio is really more appealing than an open one. I have never heard of anyone complain about being in a screened balcony and wishing they would take the screens away.:laughing: But I have heard people saying they enjoy the patio more if they were screened in. Yes, I do agree having the option to drive up to the front door of the unit is nice, but keep in mind, I'd walk a country mile to avoid an encounter with a BUG!!! :lmao:

Yes, it looks like I will have slim pickings for OLR. I will either have to SETTLE for a week in a unit without being able to enjoy my balcony/patio. Or pay a higher per night rate and stay in North Village or River Island. Of course I'd prefer to have a stroke of luck to find an ELITE owner to rent for a good price and get me in Tennis Villas!!! :rotfl:My DH will not budge on his budget. I have one last Hail Mary pass and that is when Last Minute Rentals open up on TUG for my dates. :lmao:

I did not mean that they are only for Elite or Prestige. It is that priority is given to them. At least when we were there, they were only issued to Elite members. That is what the Guest Relations lady told me after she finished closing out the family that was getting kicked out.

You can post on Tug marketplace and see what people come back with for OLR. It is definitely not only Elite members. However, they are given first priority with room requests in the Tennis Villas.

I did not mean that they are only for Elite or Prestige. It is that priority is given to them. At least when we were there, they were only issued to Elite members. That is what the Guest Relations lady told me after she finished closing out the family that was getting kicked out.

You can post on Tug marketplace and see what people come back with for OLR. It is definitely not only Elite members. However, they are given first priority with room requests in the Tennis Villas.

Yes, I understand Elite members get first choice. I did get an email yesterday from someone on Redweek. He claims to be an Elite member and said if units are available in Tennis villas I will be placed there. He said he would put it on the reservation and I had a very good chance of getting what I wanted but not guaranteed. He also made me an offer for a River Island unit which was FAR OUT of my price range. But I am holding onto hope. :goodvibes

I have an ad on TUG marketplace already. I am waiting for the last minute rentals window to open for my dates. It will open next week. I am hoping to find a member with Elite Status at OLR who can get me a request for Tennis Villas. We are going during Prime season but it is not Peak season. I may use my coworkers timeshare at Westgate for our first week. Westgate is my daughters favorite resort and also has a new waterpark. That will save us money to use to rent at Orange Lake. I have a feeling once I post on Last Minute Rentals on TUG, one of my TUGgers will come thru for me. I also have confidence in finding something on Redweek from someone about to lose their weeks or points. If I can get WBC for $599 then I know it can happen. So we will see...fingers crossed of course!!

Last edited:
Moving off-topic a bit, my family stayed at Orange Lake a few weeks ago for the first time and, while the place is lovely and has many good qualities, there was one incident that was a real drag. Foolishly, I locked my keys and wallet in the trunk of the car when leaving River Island at the end of the day, which was around 7. While this was an annoyance for me, and a point of anger for my wife, my 6 year old hungry and tired daughter just wanted to go to the room, eat dinner and rest.

It was going to be a while for help to arrive, so my wife took my daughter to the restaurant (forget the name) to at least get her something to eat and drink. My wife explained that everything was locked in the car but, could she please have some chicken fingers and a drink for my daughter. The staffers at the restaurant laughed at her, basically said "you're screwed" and told her that without our room key, or credit card, there was nothing they could do.

I can understand not giving out cocktails or a full meal but, come on, you're going to deny a hungry and scared kid a chicken finger? Do you really think this is some kind of scam? We mentioned it to someone later at the front desk who seemed rather indifferent to the situation.

Anyway, there are many reasons why we won't be going back, but, withholding a $5 plate of chicken fingers from a hungry kid might be reason #1.

There is a lot that could have been done. Your wife with the manager could have called Guest Services, get the room number, and manually add it to the room charges. I would think someone would have come up with a better idea. I know most of the people at WV would have bought it for them if it was that big of an issue. We met tons of friendly people that would have done it. All of the workers we met there would have bent over backwards to figure out a solution.

I am not saying she didn't try and this was at River Island, but West Village to me was much nicer and almost anyone you met there would have taken care of it. Even the bartenders that I got to know would have just started up a tab until a card was available.

There is a lot that could have been done. Your wife with the manager could have called Guest Services, get the room number, and manually add it to the room charges. I would think someone would have come up with a better idea. I know most of the people at WV would have bought it for them if it was that big of an issue. We met tons of friendly people that would have done it. All of the workers we met there would have bent over backwards to figure out a solution.

I am not saying she didn't try and this was at River Island, but West Village to me was much nicer and almost anyone you met there would have taken care of it. Even the bartenders that I got to know would have just started up a tab until a card was available.

I agree, we have let our kids charge to our room, but Rob & Chad at Breezes recognize all of us, and don't even use the card, just use room number and sign it.

Oh, don't worry, we were able to get my kid, and even my wife, taken care of. We are not completely helpless people. It was the complete lack of caring from the initial staffers at the restaurant, and the front desk later, which were disturbing. This situation isn't the reason why we won't be back, but it sure didn't help.

On another note, however, we were staying at West Village and, you're right, we should have never lowered ourselves to mingling with the River Island folk. Clearly, as a whole, they are far less friendly than the West Villagers.

It's kind of weird that everyone I have spoken to gets the same impression of River Island. Everyone we met and interacted with had the exact same feel about RI. It was just a full blown area of people I would not associate with. I definitely did not feel safe having my stuff at a chair unattended. At WV, it was the complete opposite.

Glad you got everything to work out.

It's kind of weird that everyone I have spoken to gets the same impression of River Island. Everyone we met and interacted with had the exact same feel about RI. It was just a full blown area of people I would not associate with. I definitely did not feel safe having my stuff at a chair unattended. At WV, it was the complete opposite.

Glad you got everything to work out.
West is def our favourite. We have stayed at RI and although it was nice with younger kids. We rarely go there now. We like West & North.

We loved Orange Lake. We will definitely stay there again if it is a non-park trip. It would be an extremely uncommon reason for us to go to the area and not go to parks though. After more after-thought and revisiting our trip, there are not too many places we would agree to stay offsite at other than WBC. Even with the minor price hikes it is still the best bargain around. I think I only have another year of vacationing with my DD. We will have to start to invite a friend to join her moving forward.

We will start to do Disney less as she gets a little older. You could notice a little bit on this trip where she is outgrowing it a little. She also needs to experience more of the world around her. We will start to take cruises, visit other areas, and enjoy the short time we have left before the college years.

We loved Orange Lake. We will definitely stay there again if it is a non-park trip. It would be an extremely uncommon reason for us to go to the area and not go to parks though. After more after-thought and revisiting our trip, there are not too many places we would agree to stay offsite at other than WBC. Even with the minor price hikes it is still the best bargain around. I think I only have another year of vacationing with my DD. We will have to start to invite a friend to join her moving forward.

We will start to do Disney less as she gets a little older. You could notice a little bit on this trip where she is outgrowing it a little. She also needs to experience more of the world around her. We will start to take cruises, visit other areas, and enjoy the short time we have left before the college years.

Awww...what a sentimental post. I can relate to how quickly the time does fly. Yes, my DD11 wants a friend now to travel along too. It's scary when you think how quickly they grow. I think we need to broaden our horizons too. I found a great deal on ticket package for only $120 each. It includes a 14day unlimited visits to Seaworld, Aquatica, Busch Gardens Tampa and Islands of Adventure. I think she will like the waterparks and she has never been to seaworld or Busch Gardens. We will be in Orlando for 14-15 days so if we get to each park at least once, it is still a good deal for the money. I think it also comes with a free parking pass but I may have missed that promotion. Not sure yet. :goodvibes

Well FINALLY I am officially booked at Orange Lake in West Village 8/19 - 8/26. The owner I am renting from requested Tennis Villas for me and we shall see. My family is so excited and it seems I am the only one that has the concern about the patio not being screened in. :eek: DH says he feels like I will join in with the family more if I don't have a screened in balcony to sit on when everyone else is out and about around the resort. He knows I won't stay on an open patio by myself because of my fear of insects, so I will have to go along with them to the pool and other activities on the grounds. I know he is hoping the Tennis Villas are full or that they won't let us switch. :rolleyes: :laughing: Anyway, my DD11 printed out an activity schedule already. She has plans to attend and participate in many of the activities. :goodvibes

So now I am excited and I am looking forward to any suggestions, advice and input anyone has to offer a first time visitor to Orange Lake. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!