OT: anyone have a social story about making mistakes?

3kidsmommy

Mouseketeer
We need a social story for my 7yo son with autism abotu making mistakes. He is only just now starting to work on writing his letters and is VERY frustrated doing so. He gets ANGRY when they don't do right. So, we need a story to let him know that making mistakes is OK. Any suggestions?

My DD use to make a couple of mistakes when she was a little younger. She use to put her snow boots on the wrong foot and if no one looked, she would wear them that way all day. we helped her learn the right foot by puttin a colored string on her right shoe or boot so when she saw the string she knew that it was for her right foot.
DD also had a very hard time with printing letters (still does) what her teachers and we do is just remind her to take it slow and then you can at least know what the word is :rotfl: DD is almost 11 and has really small hands, so that is part of the problem.
maybe try one of the finger rests, they are the soft plastic that you can slip on a pencil to help them grip the pencil better. most pens now a days come with them. the grip has helped DD a lot to hold the pencil correctly and i guess that is half the battle- at least with her.

I just wanted to share an experience that happened in my son's classroom... his teacher was an advocate of portable computers.. they weren't laptops, but they acted like them - the CPU was in a backpack and the screen was handheld and written on with a stylus or typed on....

She had a child who was brilliant, but obsessed on getting each letter perfect when writing and when he couldn't he would get angry.... after introducing that technology to him, he was suddenly mainstreamed and last i heard was very successful at school...... when he wrote an E it came out computer perfect so he could write until the cows came home.

The teacher was pleased and surprised at how well this worked for him. That particular company has gone out of business, but perhaps this may give you some ideas to help enable him to move beyond...

good luck and God Bless!

SueOKW said:
She had a child who was brilliant, but obsessed on getting each letter perfect when writing and when he couldn't he would get angry.... after introducing that technology to him, he was suddenly mainstreamed and last i heard was very successful at school...... when he wrote an E it came out computer perfect so he could write until the cows came home.

The teacher was pleased and surprised at how well this worked for him. That particular company has gone out of business, but perhaps this may give you some ideas to help enable him to move beyond...

good luck and God Bless!
That is a funny story. My DD is a perfectionist in a lot of ways and really missed out on making progress in a lot of cases because she would not do something because she could not do it perfectly (she also is obsessive compulsive about some things).
Anyway, I think that company is still in business - at least their website is still updated. I think they did not really get the education market started as they hoped though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter