OT: Mobile TV/VCR for Car?

rowan555

DIS Veteran
We have a Montero Sport mid size SUV and are wondering if we should get a mobile tv/vcp for the drive to Orlando. Anyway, it looks like our vehicle is too small for any of the console units, and I don't want to spend $1000 on a flip down ceiling unit. So, it seems our options are to either get one of those 4 inch monitors with cassette players in the bag thingie that fits between the front seats, or to buy a 9 inch tv/vrc combo and try to mount it on the floor of the backseat. Any experience, suggestions, etc on this? It will be our first LONG drive with the kids, and since they are too young to read, play gameboy, etc, this might be our only hope of a fairly peaceful drive! Thanks!

Susan

Steel Hors makes a bag that holds a 9 in TV VCR combo and attaches to the the seats.
Target sells it around here. It runs around $50 I think.

We use out Laptop that has a DVD player...bought a cig lighter converter and an earphone splitter made for two...makes for a much more enjoyable trip. At times we forget the kids are in the car! No fussing and fighting!

keep an eye out for sales of combos. a few weeks ago picked up a 9" tv/vcr and the case to go between the front seats for $179.00 at target. they went pretty fast , was there at opening and got the last one. (of about a dozen):)

We have a vcr in a bag. Only 4 inch screen, but the picture is great and it is so close to DD that it seems bigger. We found ours for about $275 at target on line. I've also seen them at Toys R Us and Best Buys. We really enjoy it.

Sounds like a familiar story...We will be driving from MA w/ 3 kids and I was faced w/ a similar situation...I liked the size and portability of the bag unit's but the price and limited use (other than the car) killed me....So I went to Sam's Club and bought the 9" Sylvania TV/VCR combo for $169.00 and when not in the car it will live in our bedroom....I did a test run with it on top of the coleman AC/DC cooler between the front seats w/ one of those non-slip mats beneath it, and it worked well....I'll let you know how it works......

P.S. I did see one of those bags to mount the 9" TV/VCR combo in (mentioned in above post) them look like a viable option as well...check out www.JCWhitney.com

Good Luck
Ron

Just a word of warning for those using tv/vcr combos not secured to the vehicle. In the case of an accident this can become a deadly projectile. When packing the car, especially for a long trip keep in mind where you are putting things that could potentially be dangerous. Nobody wants to think the worst but my dear friend is a firefighter and he has so many stories of seemingly innocent things causing injury in an otherwise minor accident. The more you can secure the better! Enjoy and be safe.
TJ

We use the 3" video screen on our video camera to occupy our daughter on long trips. You can record an hour and a half on a VHS-C tape, longer on a 8mm.

Found this tip on the DIS boards, and it saved me a heap of $$ and my sanity.

Go with a DVD player!! The units for vehicle usage are much smaller than VCP/TVs and a nice one costs about $400 at Best Buy.

Video cassettes are quickly becoming outdated, so time to upgrade the technology. DVDs are also much smaller, have better picture and sound, and offer more options for play back.

When we trade-in our minivan, we'll be going with the DVD player...

:cool:

A TV/VCR combo is great!! I know that DVD's are the thing but we have about 300 videos so....

Anyways, we went on a 2 week drive 2 years ago from Missouri to the Southwest. Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico. We drove 4,000 miles with or 3 kids and because of the TV/VCR we never once had to stop just so they could use the restroom. They were 3,6 & 11 at the time.
We folded down the middle seat of our Minivan and put the TV on top of it. It is the 9in by the way. I then took a ratchet strap tie down, the kind that is used for motorcycles, and ran the tie down over the top of the TV and then under the seat. It rode for 4,000 miles and it was a lifesaver.

Were going to WDW in June and we are buying an addapter so we can bring the PS2 video game.

The TV is well worth the money spent.:wave:

We bought portable DVD player and a 7" flip down screen in an auction on EBAY. We paid $397.50 including shipping. It included the mounting brackets, wires, and an FM modulator(for sound through speakers). This product was new in the box with a one years manufactures warranty. Our first driving trip is next month. We're hoping this makes the long trip a little easier.

We just bought a Ford Windstar and had a 7 in flip down screen and
VCR installed in it. The kids love it and so do I. If the quiet drive to school
everyday is any sign of our trip to disney in June ..... I CAN'T WAIT :bounce:

from survivethedrive.com they are very reasonable for a week rental. My cousin used them for their trip down here with their two girls. They UPS to you and you UPS back. He said he loved it.

The one they rented was a 10.4 inch thin monitor like the flip kind in minivans except it strapped to the back seat of either the driver or passenger. It came with head phones and video game hook up too. For ten days it ran $250. I think they also had a weekend rental too.

I have never used them..but my cousin swore by it...

Hopes this helps.

Naomi

npall

you can buy a tv for the car for what your cousin paid to rent one. The least expensive options are the TV in bag ... they run around 250. For about hte ame price you can get a 9 in tv/vcr combo and the steel horse bag that will attach it between the seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter