Other Options...

We also love Backroads. The smaller groups as well as the intimate vans does make travel accessible to areas big buses cannot access.

We are looking at Thomson as a possibility for China in 2019 and it sounds like you had a wonderful experience with them. I will have an 11 and 13 year old at that point. Do you think that trip would be doable for them? Any suggestions as we evaluate Thomson versus ABD? Thanks!

My kids were also 11 and 13 when we did China with Thomson (although they were very close to 12 and 14 because they both have summer birthdays), but the other family on our trip had kids ages 12, 10, 10 and 7, and they all did great, including the 7 year old. That family was also very well traveled, but I wouldn’t think your kids would have any trouble with this trip and would likely love it. What I strongly preferred with Thomson over ABD for China is that Thomson has much smaller groups. We had 10 on our trip with 2 full-time guides plus a local guide in each city who was with us from the time we arrived at the airport in that city to the time we left the airport for the next city. I felt like our time was so much more maximized and optimized than with the larger groups we have experienced on our 3 ABDs (34, 42 and 49, respectively). We also preferred that Thomson’s itinerary is 2 days longer than ABDs (but slightly cheaper st the time), so the Thomson version spends two nights in Xi’an instead of flying in and out the same day as the ABD does. Thomson also spends an extra night in Yangshuo, which was my favorite area that we visited. The Thomson trip is also a lot more active than the ABD. We did two hikes and two bike rides and also rode bamboo rafts on the Li River. There was also a cooking class which was fantastic plus dumpling making and a visit to a cave in Yangshuo. Just a really well organized and run trip with very knowledge, native guides. Happy to answer any specific questions I haven’t covered.

My kids were also 11 and 13 when we did China with Thomson (although they were very close to 12 and 14 because they both have summer birthdays), but the other family on our trip had kids ages 12, 10, 10 and 7, and they all did great, including the 7 year old. That family was also very well traveled, but I wouldn’t think your kids would have any trouble with this trip and would likely love it. What I strongly preferred with Thomson over ABD for China is that Thomson has much smaller groups. We had 10 on our trip with 2 full-time guides plus a local guide in each city who was with us from the time we arrived at the airport in that city to the time we left the airport for the next city. I felt like our time was so much more maximized and optimized than with the larger groups we have experienced on our 3 ABDs (34, 42 and 49, respectively). We also preferred that Thomson’s itinerary is 2 days longer than ABDs (but slightly cheaper st the time), so the Thomson version spends two nights in Xi’an instead of flying in and out the same day as the ABD does. Thomson also spends an extra night in Yangshuo, which was my favorite area that we visited. The Thomson trip is also a lot more active than the ABD. We did two hikes and two bike rides and also rode bamboo rafts on the Li River. There was also a cooking class which was fantastic plus dumpling making and a visit to a cave in Yangshuo. Just a really well organized and run trip with very knowledge, native guides. Happy to answer any specific questions I haven’t covered.

I have pondered Thomson a few times and I am considering them for Japan (but the Ryokan is giving me serious pause). Can you tell me what the hotels were like? Would you consider them luxury? Was the location of the hotels central to local attractions?

Backroads is fantastic! My parents have been on about a dozen+ Backroads trips, with a Spain one coming up in two weeks. We've also done two of them as a family with younger kids, one to the Big Island of Hawaii and the other to Costa Rica. We've only been on one ABD (Australia December 2017), however, so my comparisons are limited.

In our experience, the Backroads trips have been smaller and more intimate. On the family BR trips, we've had no more than 22 people for 3 guides and they use vans rather than buses. Given the size and ratio, they are able to do things like dine in local homes and take the children for a day on their own adventure. The trips are also a lot more active and the moving from hotel to hotel can be more creative. For example, on the Big Island, we biked from Volcanoes National Park down to the coast, and in Costa Rica we hiked through the rainforest to one hotel, and the next day white water rafted out of it. Also, compared to Disney, they give a lot more suggestions for OYO time and will arrange more things for you.

The main negative we experienced was that our kids were the youngest, whereas with Disney, they are right in the mix at ages 10 and 12. Also, the trips are quite short. On ours, this wasn't a problem as both places are easy to travel and we extended them on our own. My parents have paired up their trips with other ones.

My parents have been on the Cinque Terre trip so let me know if you have questions specific to that one and I can get that information to you too. You are going to have a great time!!!
Thank you so much! We are really looking forward to it. The hardest part right now is figuring out how to get to and from Florence - trying to keep it to 2 flights total and it's trickier than expected.

I have pondered Thomson a few times and I am considering them for Japan (but the Ryokan is giving me serious pause). Can you tell me what the hotels were like? Would you consider them luxury? Was the location of the hotels central to local attractions?

We actually have a deposit down with Thomson for their Japan trip in 2020! But I'm looking forward to the Ryokan as an authentic Japanese experience. The hotels in China with Thomson were a mix of luxury and the best local accommodations available. In Beijing, we stayed at the Renaissance Capital Beijing, which is a 5-star hotel, but definitely not as posh as the Rosewood. In Xi'an, we stayed at the Hilton Xi'an, which was also 4/5-star. In Chengdu, we stayed at the Ritz Carlton, which is the same hotel ABD uses. In Yangshuo, we stayed at the Green Lotus Yangshuo, which is a 3-star, but the best available in Yangshuo itself, and it was totally fine. The setting of the hotel is just spectacular. In Shanghai, we stayed at the Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden, which was a very nice 5-star hotel, but this was the only hotel where I felt like the location was off, and I would have much preferred to be on the Bund. The other hotels were all very well located.

We just returned from a DCL/WDW trip and received an invitation for a DCL related survey. At one point it asked about other travel companies and of course included all of the Disney properties (WDW, ABD, DL, DLP, TDR, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Aulani) but it also referenced Tauck. Tauck was included in two questions asking about awareness of the brand and any future planned bookings with them. I guess strictly as an acknowledgment of them that Disney considers them competition for their ABD and other travel brands.

We just returned from a DCL/WDW trip and received an invitation for a DCL related survey. At one point it asked about other travel companies and of course included all of the Disney properties (WDW, ABD, DL, DLP, TDR, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Aulani) but it also referenced Tauck. Tauck was included in two questions asking about awareness of the brand and any future planned bookings with them. I guess strictly as an acknowledgment of them that Disney considers them competition for their ABD and other travel brands.

I just turned my Disney TA on to Tauck. When we finally booked our first ABD this year, my TA said she had only done one ABD, because of the cost, but that it was her favorite vacation of all. Then we chatted a bit and I mentioned how this was our first ABD, because I can't figure out how to do 2A3K on Tauck Bridges river cruises, and we had secured one of the two sets of connecting 2/3 rooms on the ABD river cruise, but if not for that we would have likely booked some other trip with Tauck again. I told her that it could be 20% cheaper to book with TB for a very similar itinerary, depending on the trip, especially once you include the no tipping and free pre or post night for previous guests (which is saving us about $1K in Dublin this year). She had me spell out the website for her and was totally interested in the prospect of an ABD-like product that while not cheap, is still noticeably less expensive.

So even Disney TAs are open to other options!

Thank you so much! We are really looking forward to it. The hardest part right now is figuring out how to get to and from Florence - trying to keep it to 2 flights total and it's trickier than expected.

Just a quick note that we changed our October Cinque Terre hiking trip with Backroads to their Arizona hiking trip. It will be our 3rd trip this year (Italy on our own this spring, Iceland with ABD in July), and after looking at flights, I really needed something simpler (in terms of travel to and from) for the last trip of the year. Backroads has been a DREAM to work with. So responsive, lots of information, easy to get on the phone, etc.

I have a follow up question about Thompson. We are looking at their Baja trip for spring break next year. But, @Calfan, you mentioned for your China trip the wouldn't take a credit card for your final payment. Does anyone know if that policy has changed? It would be a deal breaker for us.

Thomson will allow you to pay with cc, but will charge something like a 3% fee. That is the big ding against them. Still hoping they change this policy....

Thanks. It might actually be worth it to pay that 3% - not just for the points, but also because travel booked with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card comes with automatic trip insurance. So you wouldn't have to buy that separately.

Does Thomson do dynamic pricing? I know that within a month of booking our ABD Iceland trip, it had gone up quite a bit. About $700 per person, I think, which would be about 12% just for waiting 4 weeks to book (thank goodness we booked opening day). If Thomson doesn't do dynamic pricing, and we have a few months to think about whether we want to do the trip, that 3% fee also seems a little less egregious, I guess.

But would depend on the trip and whether alternatives are available.

In other words, I started out thinking deal breaker and now am not so sure.

The Thomson price included the trip insurance. Not sure if that is standard or because we booked early.

Thanks. It might actually be worth it to pay that 3% - not just for the points, but also because travel booked with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card comes with automatic trip insurance. So you wouldn't have to buy that separately.

Does Thomson do dynamic pricing? I know that within a month of booking our ABD Iceland trip, it had gone up quite a bit. About $700 per person, I think, which would be about 12% just for waiting 4 weeks to book (thank goodness we booked opening day). If Thomson doesn't do dynamic pricing, and we have a few months to think about whether we want to do the trip, that 3% fee also seems a little less egregious, I guess.

But would depend on the trip and whether alternatives are available.

In other words, I started out thinking deal breaker and now am not so sure.

The Thomson price included the trip insurance. Not sure if that is standard or because we booked early.

Thomson does not do dynamic pricing, which is really nice. So you can wait and think about it. And it is my understanding that Thomson does include travel insurance with every booking. But I agree with you that the 3% fee could be worth it. I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve that gives 3x on travel but can be redeemed for 4.5x at a minimum, so that justifies a 3% fee. Still wish Thomson would just take cc though.

Just returned from Costa Rica with Tauck I was very impressed with our guides. The main guide was a native Costa Rican who knew so much history of his country and our associate guide was also born and raised in country. They did eat on occasion with the group but mostly were taking care of logistics and ticketing issues on computers or phones. The insights we got from their innate knowledge added so much more to our trip than the social aspect of eating together. IMO I'll take a native guide anytime.

Was it a Tauck Bridges tour? Did you have Jonas? He was our guide this past summer and he was excellent!

Was it a Tauck Bridges tour? Did you have Jonas? He was our guide this past summer and he was excellent!

Yes it was a Tauck Bridges Tour. Our guide was Federico. He also was excellent. We already signed up for another Tauck trip in 2019.

Which one? We want to do another and keep going back & forth on which one. We are deciding between Galapagos, Alaska, or Italy. I told them I wish they would do a Tauck Bridges Iceland trip.

We are doing the Croatia trip. We did the Nat. Geo Family trip to Iceland and it was great. That may be another option for you nemofans.

WE had 23 people total with 11 being kids aged 12 through 17. They limit the group to 26 I believe. We travel by a small bus which allows us access to areas which large busses would have trouble negotiating.

Just returned from a G Adventures/National Geographic tour of Morocco. While this tour wasn't as cushy feeling as the same duo's version of Costa Rica, this was a unique experience which I'm glad I had the chance to do.

Reactions: Ava

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!