Other Options...

Tauck is great! We traveled with them twice and will again. I did not have to deal with them during the lockdown bc we didn't have one scheduled this summer. I've heard good things from people who did though.

Has anyone done the Egypt/Petra tour with either Tauck or National Geographic..? We are looking more into going, but neither of us are particularly interested in snorkeling in the red sea as ABD does for the last few days of their tour. Seems like they kind of end on a low key note which isn't really our style - we figure we can do that sort of thing on our own.

Has anyone done the Egypt/Petra tour with either Tauck or National Geographic..? We are looking more into going, but neither of us are particularly interested in snorkeling in the red sea as ABD does for the last few days of their tour. Seems like they kind of end on a low key note which isn't really our style - we figure we can do that sort of thing on our own.
I have to admit the days at Sharm El Sheikh was one of the things that turned me off to the ABD itinerary.

Sayhello

Last edited:

I gotta ask... why did it turn you off?

I'm sure she will be back to answer too.

Going to a resort town to hang out for 2 1/2 days of a 10 day trip isn't why we'd go all the way to Egypt... it sounds like something you could do any number of places and the only thing they have on the itinerary for it is snorkeling which I'd never even heard of doing before. Its a lot of OYO time besides that.

Day 7 - morning at the valley of the kings, lunch, fly to sharm el sheikh, OYO the rest of the day.
Day 8 - yacht/snorkeling, lunch at resort, OYO, beach party dinner.
Day 9 - OYO, lunch, fly to Cairo, farewell dinner.

I'd rather see the Valley of Queens, or the Temple of Edfu, or even the step or red pyramids in Cairo, personally. It does add for greater variety to go have a swim break/do something different but I don't think it'd be for us. (watch me eat my words in a year when people return from the trip and say it was their favorite part and they can't now imagine skipping it having been, lol).

I gotta ask... why did it turn you off?
Well, the first thing is what @AquaDame said. Just hanging out at a resort for 2 1/2 days is something I can book myself as post-days. Or anywhere else. (Although I honestly wouldn't do that anyways). And I've never heard of Sharm El Sheikh as being a fabulous snorkeling location before. And at that, how many hours can you go snorkeling? It's a *lot* of OYO time, and I really don't feel like going all the way to Egypt to sit at a resort. Just not my thing.

But the other thing is the fact that you are "trapped" there. I've read that it's still considered dangerous outside of the Resort area. That just doesn't spell relaxing or adventurous to me.

I'm sure she will be back to answer too.

Going to a resort town to hang out for 2 1/2 days of a 10 day trip isn't why we'd go all the way to Egypt... it sounds like something you could do any number of places and the only thing they have on the itinerary for it is snorkeling which I'd never even heard of doing before. Its a lot of OYO time besides that.

Day 7 - morning at the valley of the kings, lunch, fly to sharm el sheikh, OYO the rest of the day.
Day 8 - yacht/snorkeling, lunch at resort, OYO, beach party dinner.
Day 9 - OYO, lunch, fly to Cairo, farewell dinner.

I'd rather see the Valley of Queens, or the Temple of Edfu, or even the step or red pyramids in Cairo, personally. It does add for greater variety to go have a swim break/do something different but I don't think it'd be for us. (watch me eat my words in a year when people return from the trip and say it was their favorite part and they can't now imagine skipping it having been, lol).
Yep. This is how I feel. Short bits at a resort are OK, but I'm not going to enjoy 2 1/2 days there. I'd rather do more touring.

Sayhello

Well, the first thing is what @AquaDame said. Just hanging out at a resort for 2 1/2 days is something I can book myself as post-days. Or anywhere else. (Although I honestly wouldn't do that anyways). And I've never heard of Sharm El Sheikh as being a fabulous snorkeling location before. And at that, how many hours can you go snorkeling? It's a *lot* of OYO time, and I really don't feel like going all the way to Egypt to sit at a resort. Just not my thing.

But the other thing is the fact that you are "trapped" there. I've read that it's still considered dangerous outside of the Resort area. That just doesn't spell relaxing or adventurous to me.

Yep. This is how I feel. Short bits at a resort are OK, but I'm not going to enjoy 2 1/2 days there. I'd rather do more touring.

Sayhello

Thanks for clarifying, and thanks Aquadame for chiming in. These were pretty much also my reasons for deciding that I will use Tauck for Egypt when I go there (in probaby 3 years, depending on COVID-19). I was just curious if I was missing something about Sharm el Sheikh. The unable to leave the resort thing is what really got me when I read that.

Thanks for clarifying, and thanks Aquadame for chiming in. These were pretty much also my reasons for deciding that I will use Tauck for Egypt when I go there (in probaby 3 years, depending on COVID-19). I was just curious if I was missing something about Sharm el Sheikh. The unable to leave the resort thing is what really got me when I read that.

We'll have to wait for the trip reports... I'm thinking Tauck or Nat Geo. I like Tauck's Jordan option a little better though so I'm leaning that way - especially given the accolades for them as a tour company here.

I agree with you all on the Egypt itinerary. We don't have to fly to Egypt to do a beach resort.
I hope ABD revamps this part of the trip after the inaugural year.

We were scheduled the first year the trip was announced and didn't get to go due to the unrest in the area and ABD cancelled. I have friends that lived for many years in Moscow and traveled extensively. At the time when I told them I was going to Egypt they said whatever I did I MUST include Sharm el Sheikh. It was a do not miss. I typically would prefer to tour over hanging out at a resort as well but based on their recommendation I was looking forward to it.

Looking forward to the trip reports.

We were scheduled the first year the trip was announced and didn't get to go due to the unrest in the area and ABD cancelled. I have friends that lived for many years in Moscow and traveled extensively. At the time when I told them I was going to Egypt they said whatever I did I MUST include Sharm el Sheikh. It was a do not miss. I typically would prefer to tour over hanging out at a resort as well but based on their recommendation I was looking forward to it.

Looking forward to the trip reports.

Another bit about us specifically is when we went to East Africa we were encouraged to add time in on Zanzibar to decompress at the end. It was considered a do not miss, but miss it we did in order to have time to go down to Zimbabwe and see Vic Falls/spend a day in Chobe. Zero regrets. If the Egypt itinerary didn't skip sites the other tours provide to get there, I'd be all for it!

Another bit about us specifically is when we went to East Africa we were encouraged to add time in on Zanzibar to decompress at the end. It was considered a do not miss, but miss it we did in order to have time to go down to Zimbabwe and see Vic Falls/spend a day in Chobe. Zero regrets. If the Egypt itinerary didn't skip sites the other tours provide to get there, I'd be all for it!

check out A&K family Egypt itinerary. Fairly similar to Disney but without Sharm. Also they stay at better hotel in Cairo (Four seasons).

Six weeks ago, on an impulse, decided to plan a trip with a family member to Iceland with Classic Journeys for this August (I mean, the case numbers were looking half decent at that point.) My travel mate has used them extensively and really likes them. The representative said that if it were canceled due to Covid, I'd have a life-time credit to use for another trip. However, I was also keeping an eye on Europe and was not going to buy an airline ticket until I knew I'd really be able to go. Fast forward 7 weeks and there's no way the US will have few enough cases to pass European muster for Americans to travel there. I'm waiting to see how Classic Journeys handles it, as they have yet to come out and say the trip is canceled. I am really, really hoping they don't pull an ABD and announce the cancellation just a few days prior.

Six weeks ago, on an impulse, decided to plan a trip with a family member to Iceland with Classic Journeys for this August (I mean, the case numbers were looking half decent at that point.) My travel mate has used them extensively and really likes them. The representative said that if it were canceled due to Covid, I'd have a life-time credit to use for another trip. However, I was also keeping an eye on Europe and was not going to buy an airline ticket until I knew I'd really be able to go. Fast forward 7 weeks and there's no way the US will have few enough cases to pass European muster for Americans to travel there. I'm waiting to see how Classic Journeys handles it, as they have yet to come out and say the trip is canceled. I am really, really hoping they don't pull an ABD and announce the cancellation just a few days prior.

Keep us posted. I have never taken or booked a Classic Journeys trip, but I get their catalogs and there are several I have been eyeing for potential future trips.

I'm looking forward to hearing about a Classic Journeys tour, too. I receive their e-mails and catalogs, and have been interested in reviews.

like Tauck's Jordan option a little better though so I'm leaning that way - especially given the accolades for them as a tour company here.
While I’ve not traveled with Tauck, I have some good friends who have taken several trips with them and think very highly of them. In comparing to AbD, their observations are there is a similar quality level re types of accommodations and experiences.

Classic Journeys says they are waiting for the EU to re-evaluate the situation every two weeks. I can't get the rep to commit to any sort of drop dead date at which point they would cancel. I do have the option of transferring the money to a different trip though. I'm assuming at no penalty but would have to confirm that.

I'm torn. If Iceland lets us in, I'd go. I just don't want to buy an airline ticket at the very last minute. If they are reevaluating July 15 and August 1, our trip is scheduled to leave Aug 7, which doesn't leave me much time. I don't really want to go any later this year though, as I was supposed to tack a week on to drive up to the westfjords. Any later, and driving will be risky with weather there. Same until late early summer next year.

And honestly, I can not see the EU letting Americans in any time soon. We're practically a global typhoid Mary.

Bah, stupid Covid.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experience with Classic Journeys too. They offer a very reasonable single supplement and I was considering them for a couple of future solo trips once I get my youngest daughter off to college in fall 2021.

Classic Journeys says they are waiting for the EU to re-evaluate the situation every two weeks. I can't get the rep to commit to any sort of drop dead date at which point they would cancel. I do have the option of transferring the money to a different trip though. I'm assuming at no penalty but would have to confirm that.

I'm torn. If Iceland lets us in, I'd go. I just don't want to buy an airline ticket at the very last minute. If they are reevaluating July 15 and August 1, our trip is scheduled to leave Aug 7, which doesn't leave me much time. I don't really want to go any later this year though, as I was supposed to tack a week on to drive up to the westfjords. Any later, and driving will be risky with weather there. Same until late early summer next year.

And honestly, I can not see the EU letting Americans in any time soon. We're practically a global typhoid Mary.

Bah, stupid Covid.

There is no practically about it: we are global pariahs. And a global laughingstock.

My thought re: your Iceland trip is that even if the EU says US citizens can enter, it will likely impose quarantine. So I honestly dont see your trip happening. Every day, it gets less and less likely that any real international travel will happen this year. I'm starting to doubt things will even get better by next summer.

But on the upside, you can save up the money for an even more spectacular trip when it's all said and done! Silver lining, maybe?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter