Our Epic Iceland Adventure-July 14-21, 2-18-

Once everyone was finished laughing Elvar guided everyone into the fish factory. A few of us stayed outside because, the smell was so bad I thought I would be sick. Elvar showed off his skills by filleting a fish in front of the group and grossing everyone out by putting the eyeball in his mouth or at their faces. Those that wanted to could have a bite of the fermented shark. More did this than I thought. I was not one of them.

vv.jpg

Lunch was next. We ate at the restaurant next to the fish factory. There wasn’t much to choose from so all me and DH ate was bread and potatoes. My least favorite meal of the trip.

aa.jpg

ee.jpg

ff.jpg

gg.jpg

Once everyone was finished we made our way over to put on the safety outfits for our whale watching tour. The ship was beautiful and the scenery was amazing. We only saw about 4 whales. 3 were not close up. I was hoping to see more whales, but some is better than none. As we were heading back they stopped and let those that wanted to fish some off the side of the boat. Everyone seemed to love this. It was fun to watch.

ii.jpg

hh.jpg

2.jpg

18.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Once we checked into our hotel room we were on our own for the rest of the evening.

Here are some photo's of the Icelander Hotel.

I love that the red light is shaped like a heart.
a.jpg

n.jpg

p.jpg
Check in time.
b.jpg

c.jpg
I forgot to take a photo before we trashed it. The shower area is in front of where my DH is standing. The other side is the sink and toilet.
B (1).jpg

A (1).jpg

Across the hotel is a swim park. A few of our party went over and enjoyed the pool.
o.jpg

We walked to the downtown and walked around a bit looking for somewhere to eat. We decided to eat at bautinn. We each ordered a pizza. I had the pineapple and ham, and DH had the pepperoni. We then walked around the block and bought ice cream as we walked up an awesome hill heading back to the hotel.

Side Note: When we arrived at the Icelandair Hotel Akureyri and opened the door to our room, the heat just about knocked us down. the heater was on, the window spanned the entire wall and the sun was blazing straight through. There was also a shingled roof coming out under the windows, we were on the 2nd floor, and the sun radiated heat off of them. Our room had to be 90 degrees. I knew I could not stay in that room. I went to the front desk and was given another room, on the other side of the hotel. It was great, this room was my favorite. I slept so much better in this room than any other room the entire trip.

d.jpg

g.jpg

e.jpg

I thought the pizza was very good.

f.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

We needed ice cream to help us walk up the big hill on our way back to the hotel.

j.jpg

k.jpg

l.jpg
The ice cream helped.
m.jpg

Your pictures are beautiful. It sure looks as if you both had a wonderful trip. The one thing that would bother me if we paid sixteen grand and had to settle for burgers and pizza. For us enjoying the local cuisines is a big part of ant trip and it sounds that this trip was a bit lacking in local fine dining or local dishes. But love the report.

Your pictures are beautiful. It sure looks as if you both had a wonderful trip. The one thing that would bother me if we paid sixteen grand and had to settle for burgers and pizza. For us enjoying the local cuisines is a big part of ant trip and it sounds that this trip was a bit lacking in local fine dining or local dishes. But love the report.
Oh no, the was a lot of "fine dining" options. My husband and I are very picky eaters and we do not like "foo foo" food. We do not eat seafood, and meat that isn't pork, beef, or chicken. We mostly like fried food and not a lot that is baked. So, the problem was with us, not the options available.

Day 5 - Surf and Turf - Wednesday

We left early from the Hotel heading for the Godafoss Waterfall, which translates to “Waterfall of the Gods,”. This waterfall is almost 40 feet tall. This waterfall is so very beautiful. I truly felt this was one of the high-lights of our trip. We spent about 45 minutes here, but I wish it had been longer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Wow. Again, I feel like you visited an entirely different country than we did. I never saw sunshine and blue sky like that! What great photos with the rainbow!
The rainbow was just gorgeous. We were so very fortunate with the weather we had. Such a magical trip to experience.

Our next stop was the Grenjadarstadour Turf houses. The farm at Grenjadarstadur dates back over a thousand years to Iceland’s settlement. The turf house that currently stands was one of the countries largest, with it’s oldest part dating back to 1865. This museum display offers a unique glimpse into how life once was for the Icelandic people.

Once we arrived we settled into the little church. We were given a brief history and then split up into 2 groups as we toured the turf house.

1.jpg

5.jpg

16.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Lunch was in the little seaside village of Husavik. We had about 2 hours to eat lunch and explore. We shared a pizza then shopped a bit. We did walk thru the Whale Museum.

This is a photo I took as we drove to our lunch stop.
2.jpg

13.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Thanks so much for your report! I love your pictures!

And we are also plain food people - I had to laugh at your foo foo food comment! :rotfl2: When we were at LAX and couldn't find chicken nuggets and fries, my DD about had a meltdown. I am the most adventurous in the family but that can backfire.....I tried spring roll in Hawaii and discovered that cilantro literally makes me want to barf. Apparently there is a group of people that thinks it tastes like soap (genetics.) And I hate spending a lot of money only to waste food and go hungry!

On my way home today!! Drew and Stebbi were outstanding! Drew seems to be fully recovered (turns out he badly bruised his back.)

The weather you had at Godafoss looks fabulous.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts