Our journey to the Dark Side- DW race report 5/6/18

DW here

I told DH that he can't tease a journal update then wait days to do it.

My MRI showed that my meniscus is torn again. But the first thing the Dr said to me was "your meniscus is deteriorating". :sad1: Sounds like I need surgery again. I told him I just want to be able to walk right now so I got a steroid injection. I will be getting a bike to use at home. It is a professional one from Life Fitness with a full LCD screen. There is a company here that buys/extracts equipment from gyms when they upgrade. It will be fully refurbished and a fraction of the new price. I guess they start refurbishing after the customer commits to it. They said I should have it in less than 2 weeks.

Stay tuned for DH's report of his recent 10k!

Sorry to hear about your knee. :(. the bike sounds great though.

This past Saturday, I ran my first race(s) since last September's half marathon. That race resulted in a DNS, PT, and some serious non-running time.

Weather: chilly, but not too bad. 39. Cloudy. No precipitation
1 Miler
The course: through a local park. Streets and paved surfaces. But there were 4-5 sections that were almost impassible due to snow and ice that had not yet melted. In what appeared to be a deliberate attempt to direct us around one of the first icy patches, a fairly large tree limb was placed across the path. We had no choice but to go around it. With 1 exception, there was a helpful volunteer at each icy section, warning us of the danger.
Runners helping runners: I didn't see anybody trying to push the issue. I think that, other than the kids (<10yo), everyone was doing like I was and using it as a warm up for the "main event". There was even someone helping a woman push her stroller up a grassy hill at one point, so she could avoid the stairs in that area.
Overall: it was a nice warmup. First race since the fall, as I mentioned, with the exception of Girls on the Run in December with DW, but that was more of a fun walk/run/walk together. Everything was showing green on the internal problem indicator dashboard. Plus, a bonus mile for the day's total. 10:12

The course: Sweet merciful Mary! A co-worker running buddy of mine (Molly) and her friend (Heather) were doing this race also. About 2-3 miles in, I said to her, "this counts as a hill run, for sure!" I need to review my Garmin data again, as I'm certain that the hill somewhere around mile 1-1.5 was over 8-10% uphill incline. We just seemed to keep going uphill. I'm looking out (down on creation) across the valley, and we're well above some multi-story buildings down by where we started. Later, we got to "enjoy" a 13% downhill into a 270 degree right hand hairpin turn and onto... a mud road with ice and snow on it! That lasted for over a half a mile. Uphill. So much for the new since 12/2017 Adrenaline-18s. They're officially christened now!
Runners helping runners: Around mile 3, I was pacing slightly ahead of my work running buddy, when a woman wearing bib 133 started chatting with me. We paced together for around 2.5 miles. I knew the back half of the course had more up hills (we must come down sometime, don't we?), and I must say, without the company of her, Molly, and Heather, I would've worked in some walk breaks. But the time and distance seemed to pass quickly running together. And then there was the safety in numbers when Mr/Mrs. Angry Driver came tooling down alongside the runners, faster than they needed to be, leaning on their horn. I was wearing a chartreuse and 3M reflective jacket that I think they can see on the ISS, so I was outside my friends with less brightness. Looking at the data, I ran a negative split, but I'm sure the significant hills in the first 5k is why. I also think the friends around me helped. I was like 1009, 1020 (pace literally drops OFF the scale on the Garmin graph; I and those around me were shuffling!) 951, 950, 950, and then 934, with an 8:40 last 0.2 miles. Around mile 5.5, we had to traverse about 75 feet of packed snow and ice to come to a steel top single lane bridge and then another 100 feet of snow/ice to get back to the road. This is where our group got a little separated, with me slightly ahead, but within a couple of minutes, I could hear them coming back to me.
Post-race: they had water, and what appeared to be home-made ginger bread running man cookies. Soft and chewy! Over by the building where we checked in, a local McDonalds set up hot beverages. I thanked them a lot, as they had hot chocolate! I'm not a coffee or tea person.
Overall: I'm glad I did it. It counts as significant hill work for me. I could feel it in my lower legs the rest of the day. On Sunday, after a recovery swim, I could feel it higher up in my legs. Not sure if I feel like doing it again, though
1:00:38 on the Garmin

Nice recap! That sounds like a really tough course. Congrats.

Sorry to hear about your knee. :(. the bike sounds great though.

Nice recap! That sounds like a really tough course. Congrats.

Thanks! I'm sure there are worse hills out there, but for races around here, and where I'm at in training, it was quite a workout.

Hoping to get in 6-8 today prior to the snow starting.

Having someone at a race that you can chat with or even just run beside provides a really nice little stream of motivation.

Very true. Molly and I were planning on a run this afternoon, but have cancelled, as it should start snowing by the time we'd agreed upon due to work.

My PB for 13.1 was done when I ran into a nice gentleman from the local running store's race team one day on the trail. I was slowing down quite a bit around mile 11 when I encountered him. He got me back up to speed, which got my pace back down to where the rest of the miles were for time.

Anxiously awaiting the bike's arrival. We're in the delivery window. 24 degrees, sunny, little to no wind. Hoping to get out and run shortly after that task is complete.

Welcome @ZellyB and @IamTrike to the thread. We'll try to post more and keep it interesting.

Fast Passes secured! FoP, EE, 7DMT, SM, and BTMRR included! BTMRR was closed during both our last trips, and is a favorite of ours.

I'm following along. Sorry to hear about all the injuries. I love your Max, greyhound zoomies are best. My brother and sis in law foster greyhounds and I've helped craft several items for fundraisers for the local greyhound association with them.

Wednesday update:
I had a nice run Sunday afternoon with my colleague Molly. Just over 9:30/mile, so I count that as more of a tempo run. Rest Monday, and then a swim yesterday. I soooo wanted to run after work, but with today being a day off and a long run planned, we took Max for a brief walk instead.

This morning, I had a goal of 8 miles, with no concern about pace. Distance was the goal. I've planned out if I can get my LSD to 8 miles this week, and increase it 1 mile per week, I'll hit 13 two weeks prior to Dark Side. Things aligned well today, and I made it to 9 miles! 2 loops of a mile each in the park, and then along the paved/dirt/paved trail south and then back to the park. I felt, around mile 4 that I could go longer today. Very few people on the trail, but the park was busier by the time I was done. Then a walk to the exercise station loop and some stretching. I'm pleased with both my consistent splits and the fact I didn't slow down at the end. That sometimes happens at the end of LSD, likely because I've gone out too fast. @DopeyBadger must've gotten tired, being perched on my shoulder, whispering "today is not the day for speed".
Splits: 1034-1014-1011-1011-1034-1034-1024-1027-1025

I try to track my trailing 7 days workouts, but my weekly log is Monday-Sunday. Current trailing 7 is: 21.3 miles. That's within sight of my peak mileage when I've been training before.

Max had his follow-up at the vet today for his scratched eye. Its healing! We can now move from an antibiotic drop to ointment with antibiotic and steroid components. Got his annual physical and shots taken care of, too. Unfortunately, he has a loose tooth. A comment from our first visit almost a decade ago, "he's got all his teeth, and they're in good shape, too!" Max normally loves to get "chicken stick" each night around 6:30, but hasn't been interested lately. So, we're getting him scheduled for an extraction and cleaning in March. Racing greyhounds are a little different from other breeds in certain ways. What's abnormal in another breed can be ok in a greyhound. But general anesthesia can be problematic in greyhounds (its a body fat issue). Max's vet trained in Florida, and has owned greyhounds. I think every greyhound owner gets really nervous when they get anesthesia. I'll probably go for a run during the procedure.

Time to prepare dinner.

Sounds like training is continuing to go well.

Glad that Max's eye is doing better, but sorry about his tooth. Hopefully all will go well with that too!

Today's update: DW has been riding her new (used) exercise bike at home, and has now started walking in the neighborhood too. Max isn't squinting any more, a sign the eye is really getting better. I got in 4 miles of hills yesterday, with a planned LSD of 10 miles tomorrow. And a massage tomorrow afternoon. :cloud9:

Technology we use: Garmin 230 for both of us. We used to have Garmin 210s, but I thought I lost mine a year ago. I thought it fell out of the car in a parking lot the night before a big snowstorm. Researched and bought the 230. Then, a few weeks later, I feel my foot bounce off something under the bed: my old 210. Charged it, downloaded its final data, and boxed it up. DW wanted me to give her my 230 and go back to the 210. I bought her a 230 of her own, instead.
I really like the 230. It is more comfortable on the wrist, finds satellites WAY faster, and has tenacious battery life. My standard work is to charge fully the day before a race (with the 210). With the 230, as long as I'm at 50%, I can feel good up to half-distance.
DW dug out her foot pod and chest strap recently, so I put a new battery in my own foot pod and started using it again. Especially when on the treadmill. My chest strap doesn't seem to be working right, even with a new battery. Perhaps I'll try another new battery and see.

Wednesday run:
I did not dress as appropriately as I could have for this run. I was in a 2016 W&D 10k LS shirt with a windbreaker, regular pants, and a cap (my ears get cold). I was sweating horribly by mile 3. So much that ditching the jacket was not an option, as I was soaked. By the end of the run, it had warmed from the upper 30's to the low 50's. By then, I did drop the gloves and cap.

Original route: do 3 laps around the local park (1 mile per lap), and then follow the same trail route as last week's LSD run. With all the rain we've had, and the proximity to a creek and wetlands, I decided to stay in the park. For. All. 10. Miles. I reversed direction every couple of miles, and then around mile 6, I added down to the main entrance and back (0.6 miles round trip) for some variety. But the park is paved, has some elevation changes, and was in the sun. Which helped to overheat me. Good training for April in Florida, I suppose.

How it went: this run was harder than last Wednesday's. My "old friend" showed up again- pain inside left leg, just above the ankle joint. I really considered calling it off about 4 miles in, thinking if I got to 5, I'd delay the LSD of the week until Sunday. Then the bargaining began: I'm actually about a week ahead of where I wanted my LSD to be. I could just take it easy. Got to 5 miles, and then decided 6 miles to 10k would be enough. The "old friend" usually goes away after a mile or so, but today it was sticking around. And forwarding its mail. But, it wasn't getting any worse. So, on I went. In the end, I made it to 10 miles. And I hurt. Cardiovascular-wise, I felt really good. I just had that pain with each step, even when finished. Fortunately, I'd planned for a massage in the afternoon, at the Mind/Body center owned by the local health care giant.

I was asked pre-massage if I had pain, and to score it. I had it at 3-4. Post-massage pain was down to 2-3. I could walk (mostly) without the pain. The score improved to about a 1 by dinner, and was gone by this morning.

Upcoming plan: swam today; swim again tomorrow. Last winter series race is Saturday. Figured it would be a good tempo run, but I must admit, the forecast of 40mph winds STILL blowing has me considering the treadmill. After all, the winter series is not the goal; Dark Side is. Then perhaps find a local track on Sunday.

Run evaluation: I don't think I did any damage by completing the 10 miles. I was 10:34 per mile. 10 seconds per mile slower than last week's long run, but felt like so much more work. Delta slowest to fastest mile: 23 seconds, just like last week. I seem to be keeping my pace consistent the whole run. My running journal hits its end (52 weeks) this Sunday. This run puts me over 800 miles for the journal's year.

End of the year
DH here. Today marks the end of volume 3 of my training journal. I like the Runner's World weekly journal, and have used it since I started keeping a journal. Even though the tips, quotes, training, and did you know sections are always the same, I like its organization. Preparing another one to become volume 4 this afternoon.
Today's run was a total of 5 miles on the local college's track. Boy was it WINDY! NOAA station west of us says sustained at 14, with gusts to 21 while I ran. Not sure it was that low. I could feel it pushing against me, and when at my back, I could really feel it coming in the vent slats along the spine of my jacket. Based on the pace, today was more of a tempo run for me. I did 4 miles in the first segment at 9:26/mile. Each mile, I reversed direction around the track to give me some variety from always turning left. Then, after a couple minutes of stretching, I set out on a mile lap. That came in at 8:16.
Week total running 22.1 miles across 4 days I ran. 3 days of swimming.
Final year stats:
813.5 miles running. Down 0.5 miles/week from volume 2, and about 24 miles less than volume 2. But with only 18 miles in October, I was on my way to beating volume 2's total. My monthly total has been running 63-69 miles since December, while it was consistently 80-85 miles from last April to August.
61.8 miles swimming. This was a BIG increase from volume 2. 21 miles more, so a 50% increase. I can see, looking back at volume 1, that I am getting faster, and able to complete a greater distance in the same amount of time. I enjoy using the swimming to get my HR up, but without being weight-bearing. In 2016, I swam laps as best I could at the Boardwalk's adult pool each afternoon. I really think that helped me to stay loose for the Lumiere's Challenge.

I'm continuing to add races to the pocket calendar I use to record them. Started that last year, and it was helpful to check my usual race aggregator and race-specific sites once in a while, and write any interesting races in the pocket calendar. Then I can see options at a glance. At this time, the Dark Side challenge is all I'm signed up for, but I'm going to look for some other opportunities soon.
DW and I have each printed calendars through May, to plan our training. With some potential rain/snow/whatever this week, I may have to rethink tomorrow's planned rest day. But that will have to wait until I review the forecast closer.

Since Sean has not posted in a while I will. He did a 10 mile run this past weekend but is still concerned that he is not training enough for Dark Side (due to weather). I keep telling him he's got it.

I'm waiting for insurance to approve the unloader brace for my knee. The guy at the medical supply store said he would advise against running a marathon immediately after getting the brace. I said "you mean the half marathon I'm registered for one month from now?" :lmao::rotfl2:
I knew what he meant before he said it, that the brace could cause friction/rubbing/blisters and I need to let my leg get used to it.

Both of us are frustrated with the recent cold weather and now the snowy Spring. We have eleven inches since yesterday and I don't know how many more to come. We always joke that we are going to go from winter directly to summer and this will probably happen sometime in April. (I don't have any scientific evidence to back this up, it just seems to happen). Hopefully if the insurance company approves the brace soon I will be participating in the Dark Side Half Marathon. I'll be the one wearing the obnoxious black Unloader knee brace.

Christine

Max is our inspiration. He's a retired racing greyhound. Around age 4, he retired, and joined our family. That first year, on our walks, when the weather was to his liking, he'd run a little. Well, "a little" for Max is a pretty good pace for most humans. He's not even mouth breathing, and I'm about in a sprint.
We identified at least 6 gears, plus Mach 1, during that first year together. For Max, 3rd gear is like a canter, where he's bounding up and down front and back. He's clearly just taking it easy at this pace. At this time in our lives, we didn't have anything like a Garmin, but I'm pretty sure 3rd gear was faster than a 9-minute mile pace. The speed increases in what feels like exponential fashion with each gear until you hit what must have been race pace: Mach 1.

We only ever saw Mach 1 once. Our back yard, though fenced, is too small to allow him to really light it up. Again, it was that first year, and we went to a local dog park, where there are fenced areas around 3 acres each. On that day, DW and I ran along ahead of Max, and he came 'a runnin' up to us. We stopped and walked a moment together, and then DW and I tried to run ahead again.

The sound coming up behind us was like the sound of a running horse in the movies. As Max passed us, it happened: everything in his stride cycle... it just instantly doubled in speed. In one instant, he was fast, in the blink of an eye, he was twice as fast. He sped away at what had to be well over 35 mph. We stopped and laughed uncontrollably. The eyes of the guy in the corner got REAL big as he closed the distance in seconds. Then he turned south with no perceptible loss in speed.

We were afraid that the tree roots he was approaching would be a problem, or the pack of dogs playing in there would want to chase him. But he turned back to us and trotted directly back, barely winded. To watch a professional sprinter, every part designed for speed, is amazing. He has supreme control of his body; able to speed past us in our yard at a distance of single-digit inches away from our legs.

So to start our story without giving Max his due would not be appropriate.

Aww, love the pic of Max and love Greyhounds in general! We considered adopting a Greyhound at one time - how great Max found a home with you upon his retirement from racing!:lovestruc

DH here. We ended up with 19 inches of snow. Its melting fast, but I've retreated to the treadmill for the past few runs. Been working some incline into the TM workouts. Hoping today to get out soon for some outdoor running. LSD planned for Thursday.

Max Update:
Max had 7 teeth removed last Thursday. He's shocked us both with how fast he's been returning to the Max we know. Stairs have been a challenge, especially down, but this morning he carefully walked right down. Plus, he romped after his first morning outside with me! He's dreaming now- I can see the legs and feed going...
Christine played "find it" with hard crunchy treats outdoors yesterday. Another success. And he's really into his meals again, often coming to ask for more/tooth brushing like he used to. We apply an oral rinse nightly for now, instead of brushing. Follow up visit is this Friday.

DW update:
Christine took delivery of her unloader brace late last week. And she walked 3 miles in the local park on Sunday! She walked the neighborhood yesterday, and has been asking me about my weekend running plans, as she wants to do a 5 mile long walk while I run.

We've already started to work on our packing lists, as the race draws near. I still feel like I need to get my distance up, but I'm trying not to push myself into injury. I have a plan through the races written on a calendar, and I've followed it as closely as I can, given the weather.

LSD run complete. 11 miles, at 10:29/mile pace. First mile; slowest mile. Delta slowest mile to fastest mile: 25 seconds. No fuel during run. A little water around mile 9.5 when I got back to the car. Likely played a role in slowing down the last 3 miles (lack of food/fuel). But those 3 miles were all within 2 seconds of each other, and still faster than mile 1.

46 and damp. Of course, now it is partly sunny and 62. And they say April will begin cool and damp. Not helping me to try out race clothes in outside conditions.

DW has told me I should consider a hydration backpack. We have several different bottles, and when I use them, I switch hands every 0.5-1 mile. Thoughts?

Today's training update:
Max ran back to the deck this morning! Happy hound! And then bounded through the house with us before breakfast.

DW met her goal of walking 5 miles today while wearing her new brace. Her optimism grows.

I made 10k today, at 30 seconds/mile faster than Thursday's LSD pace. I woke up feeling like I didn't run 11 miles 2 days ago. I felt those 11 miles during the first 0.5-1 mile. Made a nice negative split, too.

We've got 3 grids running right now: Master grid contains all the high-level stuff like ADR's, expo, races, and park plans. Then we each have a photocopy that we're using to plan out what we need to bring. Trying to account for shopping and race shirts, so we're not overpacked. Just got out sunscreen and bug spray, too.

We started packing this past weekend and are getting excited for Dark Side! As my walks get longer my confidence grows that I will not only participate in the Half but have a chance to finish (maybe with the balloon ladies right behind me ;) )

Christine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter