Overbearing Security

Do you think they were right to ban us merely for smelling like marijuana?

• no

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • yes

Votes: 38 84.4%

• Total voters
Like it or not while marijuana is legal in California it is on Disneylands banned items list. The security guard might have been trying to figure out where you kept it to see if you actually had any on you. Not sure if telling him would have solved the issue or not. Just something to keep in mind in the future I guess.

I won't question the whole still smelling like smoke since being friends with a former smoker who I knew when they still smoked I know that if you do it enough it primates the clothes no matter how much you wash them.

Disney has the right to deny entry to anyone for any reason (other than legally protected classes, of course). If they've decided to have a 100% no tolerance for even a dog-detected whiff of weed, that's their prerogative. Would they deny entry to someone walking by who smelt faintly of booze but didn't appear drunk? I doubt it.

I will say that I think I understand not wanting to show an ID. If you had, you probably would have ended up with your name flagged on some 'list' somewhere and/or had your AP pulled (if you have them).

I probably would have hailed an Uber (because I'm sure they were watching you leave), had them drive me over to the DTD entrance and entered via the Monorail.

I probably would have hailed an Uber (because I'm sure they were watching you leave), had them drive me over to the DTD entrance and entered via the Monorail.
And if a dog alerted on them at DCA? They probably could have been charged with trespassing. Just not worth it.

When I was there this summer there was a man in front of me at security (one of the DTD entrances) that had a good sized bag of weed on him. I watched the security guard pull it out of his bag. They had a brief exchange that i didn’t quite make out, but I heard the man ask if he could get it back and the guard said no. So the guard kept it and let the man go in. I was honestly kind of surprised there was no repercussion for trying to bring it in. But I saw him in the park later that day (he had some serious dreds and was easy to spot as a result).
Anyway, the OPs experience, while unfortunate, is more in line with what I would expect to happen. Especially if the dog tipped security off.

It too bad that you both still reeked the next day. I think where things went wrong was that you gave them attitude while they were questioning you. If it were me, I would have said I smoked last night and not at all today. If they wanted to see my ID or wanted any other information, I would have just handed it over if I knew I didn't do anything wrong. Once you get defensive and quit cooperating and then ask for their manager, you have started a battle. They could have thrown you out for attitude alone if they wanted to.

At any rate, sorry that happened to you. I hope you are able to have a fun time the next time you visit the parks.

I'm OK with this.
I respect the park for refusing entrance to anyone who's actions even suggest the may be in an altered state.
I am sorry though that you couldn't enjoy the parks.

What kind of noses do these guys have that they were able to smell marijuana on you from the night before? I am assuming you changed clothes, etc. Did the dog alert them first or was it the guards?
Dogs at Disneyland are not trained for drugs, they are trained for explosives (gun powder, fireworks, etc..) So, most likely you had enough of a scent left they were concerned. That said, you were not banned for the smell, you were banned for being uncooperative.

Legal or not, it would be no different if you came in reeking of alcohol and were then belligerent when pulled aside. They are looking after your safely and the safety of others. They have no way of testing if you are impaired and may become injured or injure others while on their property.

Well said!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter