Packing Booze...

ItsLayne

Mouseketeer
Hey all. New poster, but I've lurked the boards a couple of times over the years - this board in particular was a great place to help convince me to go on my first Solo Trip after everyone else bailed on me, so I have to thank you for that - it was probably the best trip I ever went on!

Anyways, since this is the "adults" board, I figured I would ask this question here. I'm flying Southwest in June, and taking Magical Express, no plans to rent a car. I know you definitely can't put it in a carryon, but are you allowed to pack booze in a checked bag? Has anyone ever done this before? I figure an unopened bottle is stout enough that it probably won't break and soak my clothes in scotch, but I don't know if it's allowed or not!

I figure worse comes to worse, I'll make an anonymous call to the airline to find out, but I figured I'd ask here first! And if it's not allowed... what are some good alternatives on getting something to drink for the room?

Nice to meet you all!

I've packed an entire six pack of beer in checked luggage before and it came out the other side just fine (I took the bottles out of the pack and wrapped them in clothes to keep them from rattling against each other). Southwest should have an online list of prohibited items if you want to double check and make sure, but if I were you I'd just buy a pack of giant ziplocks, seal the bottle up in one or two layers of said ziplocks, and swaddle it really well in your clothing.

I've packed an entire six pack of beer in checked luggage before and it came out the other side just fine (I took the bottles out of the pack and wrapped them in clothes to keep them from rattling against each other). Southwest should have an online list of prohibited items if you want to double check and make sure, but if I were you I'd just buy a pack of giant ziplocks, seal the bottle up in one or two layers of said ziplocks, and swaddle it really well in your clothing.

I can't believe I didn't think to check their website! But yeah, not only is it allowed, they have a specific page just for it and even sell packing material if needed.

https://www.southwest.com/html/cust...ml#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_1

Thanks for the advise!

I think technically it has to be in an unopened container...however, I have never had any issues before.

I usually pour the bottle into an empty water bottle, and then put that bottle in one or two ziploc bags. The weight of the liquor bottle can sometimes be enough weight to put you over your bag weight limit.

Pro tip -- you can actually bring those little airline bottles with you in your carry-on bags, so long as they are all in a ziploc bag. They're treated like any other liquid that has to be 3 oz or less.

As a cautionary tale... my friends and I once packed some bottles of wine in our suitcases. All of the bottles made it through they journey, except for one. Unfortunately, my friend's suitcase had plenty of glass and his clothes were soaked red. Perhaps a bottle of scotch might be heartier, but we had thought that all the wine had been very carefully packed as well. YMMV.

I would suggest packing any alcohol bottles in one of these...
https://www.containerstore.com/s/jetbag-bottle-protector/d?productId=10032365&q=bottle

And then putting that in a large ziploc (just in case)

I may do. First part of my trip I'll be solo, but later on friends with cars will be around. So I may just pack a couple of airline-sized bottles, or a small bottle in one of these jetbags, and have them buy me a bottle on their way. Treat them all to dole whips for the trouble.

Our trip this past fall I packed me a Bota Box Brick which is a smaller sized 1.5L Boxed wine and it was perfect for the week we were there.

Last edited:
I've done Plastic Malibu, mini bottles, ziplocs, etc. successfully. One other product to recommend are Wine Diapers http://www.winediaper.com/. One year I took a liter of distilled water (for my CPAP machine) down in one then reused it for a liquor that I had tasted at a F&W mixology demo that wasn't available for sale in my state. Haven't had a bottle break, or leak, yet. <knocking wood>

As long as weight isn't an issue and you make sure the bottle is placed in some waterproof bags/ceram wrap you should be fine!
I suggest wrapping a pair of jeans or a thick jumper around the booze as well - a) shock absorbency b) IF there is a leak, it should hopefully minimise the spread to other items/clothing.

Good Luck!! :thumbsup2

Okay, this is going to sound weird but I've wrapped bottles first in disposable diapers then in a plastic storage bag. I did had one bottle of red wine break and the diaper absorbed most of it. I used my late DFIL's Depends.

I warned you it was weird!

We have packed a bottle of vodka, and bourbon in ours before. It was a great thing to have at the end of the night to go back to the hotel and have a drink. We managed to have nothing broken.

I got one up on everyone here , with having a family member living in FL she keeps all the small things that we normally put in that 1 quart bag so one trip i used a bunch of 3 oz bottles and was almost able to fit a entire bottle of rum, into the bottle then into the bag, worked out nicely because they were discert and no one new the wiser. Plus we never check luggage so this was my way around that.

Tip 1- hard sided suit case.
Tip 2- if wine is what you want, the target wine cube is yummy in multiple versions and you can pull it out of the box and it travels very light. Still needs some protection so a large ziplock would help
Tip 3- this depends on if you are staying on property or not, but even the values have bottles of wine with screw tops you can buy on sight and the mark up is not terrible. I believe they have liquor too but I am not a fan of the hard stuff so someone else would have to confirm

Tip 3- this depends on if you are staying on property or not, but even the values have bottles of wine with screw tops you can buy on sight and the mark up is not terrible. I believe they have liquor too but I am not a fan of the hard stuff so someone else would have to confirm
I was going to add this.

In case you don't pack enough (hey, it happens), resorts have wine and a choice of liquor (I'm at Pop and just stepped into the shop to check). Also, shops at Epcot (the east and west, in World Showcase) have wine and some Epcot pavilions (such as Germany and France for sure) feature bottles that are served in the restaurants, among others.

And I think all the shops sell Mickey stoppers!

We've checked alcohol in our bags several times and have not had a problem. We keep to liquor ( vs. beer or wine ) and try to stick to either booze that comes in plastic bottles or the several of the airline size bottles. I have an extra plastic case that you get with luggage and just put it all in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter