Packing meds for plane travel?

mrsbornkuntry

<font color=FF6666>I'm worried about raccoons<br><
Hi, I have another airplane question! I read in a thread on the budget board that someone had problems with security because their meds weren't safety sealed anymore, does anyone know if there's a policy about this? Should I just bring new, unused prescriptions with me? How would I deal with ds's inhaler? And some of what I need is over the counter, but I already have on hand, should I just buy new in FL or will I be okay taking it with me, , I would really feel better having these things with me. I hadn't even given this any thought, I usually just throw this stuff in my diaper bag.

We travel with a veritable pharmacy and have never had any problems. (Including overseas.) We even take our aerosal machine on board.

I'm very careful to make sure everything has the pharmacy label on it, but I've never been questioned. (With or without wc kid!)

Originally posted by SueOKW
...I'm very careful to make sure everything has the pharmacy label on it, but I've never been questioned. (With or without wc kid!)
Ditto on the ensuring that evrything has the pharmacy label on it. We have never run into difficulty either, and hoping that continues. I can't imagine we would have trouble bringing prescriptions in our carry-ons.

We always have open bottles of insulin and syringes with us for my dd. We make sure the boxes have the prescription on them. Additionally, I always call the airline ahead of time to let them know that my dd might need an injection during the flight so they can mark it on their manifest and have a Sharps container handy. It's never been a problem.

Karen:wave2:

We also have had no problems with bringing medications thru security and on board planes.
I don't know why the people on the other thread had a problem, but they should not have according to the information posted on the Transportation Security Administration website.
I noticed the link to the specific page didn't work any more. It will take you to the TSA site, then use the search function to look for medication.

Thank-you for the replies, I'm so glad that there isn't anything difficult to this, I was started to get a little stressed with trying to plan everything, I didn't want anything else to worry about, lol.

I have heard that you need to bring the original prescription bottles with you for airflight and my hubby always does, but our friends that traveled with us in September left their medication in miniature zip loc bags for each dosages use for easy carrying around the parks. They had no troubles with security.

Carol

On a recent flight to Washington this week, we experienced a high-level security search; a code-Orange, the most stringent prodecure we have experienced travelling. We were wanded and patted down, all luggage was hand-inspected, and several tests were performed for bomb-making residue. Nonetheless, there was not any hassles with our diabetes or asthma supplies whatsoever. We do carry all that is required by the TSA quidelines, but have not been asked to present. Patience and cooperation is key in these circumstances, as the security personnel are doing their best to protect us all.

I flew just last week and as always had no problem with my medications. I always carry them in my carryon and have them in original bottles. I have never been searched or questioned.

We think it wise to be prepared in any event. We recently experienced a high-level security procedure involving wanding and patting-down, hand inspection of all bags, and several tests for explosives traces. Our medications we handled by the inspectors, and subject to x-ray and test-material swabbing. The meds themselves were not in question, however. We always carry prescription scripts when travelling, should replacements be needed. The TSA quidelines mentioned describe the above procedure and requirements accurately.

Just got back tonight...
Absolutely no problem with taking syringes onboard. I always mention when going through security that I have diabetes supplies in my carry-on bag and usually the agent thanks me for telling them. I haven't even had to open up the bag and show them. I do however, carry the insulin in it's original box with the prescription on it just in case!

Karen

I never had a problem travelling with daughter's meds. I carry them in a soft sided cooler. They don't have the original caps. I put blue baxa dispensing caps on them to make my life easier. In this same bag I also carry many syringes. We have never once been asked anything about it. I always keep her meds with me. She is on some prescriptions that are specially made and you just can't get anywhere else. Don't worry. Take your meds with you. You will be fine.

I flew with syringes a couple of times, most recently in July and did not have a problem at all.

My syringes were predosed with my medication and were clearly visible in the XRay, but no one even questioned me about them.

Suzanne

This is all so good to know! BF is diabetic and we haven't flown since he started insulin. I was a little worried. I'd printed the TSA's instructions, but it's nice to know they checkpoints practice what they preach!

Here's one thing to be careful of--creams, ointments, etc., in tubes. I read about someone who had several tubes of paints in her checked luggage and the bag was opened for inspection, including opening several of the tubes. Apparently what caused concern was the tube itself, not the contents. Many such tubes (including those for perscription creams) have a metal interior lining. Its best to carry those in your carry on, so you're with your bag to explain. Again, just make sure its in its original, labeled container and I'm sure you'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter