Paddleboarding

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
OK, so not an actual Aulani question but....I don't get it. What is the attraction?

I've done it a few times and I think it's pretty fun. It's just like canoeing or kayaking, but you stand up. I find it's a little bit more of a workout because you don't only use your arms to paddle, but your legs and abs to balance. It's not for everyone, but if you can find it at a decent price, it's worth checking out. But if you don't like canoeing or kayaking, you probably wouldn't enjoy it any more or less.

As a tip, the first time I did it was on a lake which is an ideal place to learn because you don't really have to deal with waves or currents. The ocean is a little tricky when you have to deal with both, plus other boaters. But if you go in knowing you may fall down and may get wet, and you have a lifejacket and are a decent enough swimmer then there is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
I just tried it for the first time at Aulani! It was better to try it there in the lagoon with minimal waves than on one of the other beaches around Hawaii where there are lots of waves. Agreed with @ChanaC that learning on a lake first would be ideal.

I have horrible balance and am not flexible at all, so it was an interesting experience for me, but my sister loved it! I thought of it as a baby step towards surfing- getting on and off the board, standing up, traveling, etc. without actually riding the waves.

I'd much rather be SCUBA diving or snorkeling, but it was something interesting to try.

It's not my thing either.

The best part about paddleboarding is that it allows you to get into waterways that might not otherwise be accessible, such as the canals in Kailua. You could take a kayak, but it's much easier to pack a paddleboard into/on a car.

It is a workout but it was fun trying to balance and paddle. My daughter really enjoyed it when we went to Hawaii. We are land locked and so we don't spend much time in water usually. I prefer to just float in the water.

Learning how to paddleboard was on my bucket list when I went to Aulani last year. I signed up for an hour private lesson with Waikiki Beach Services at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and had a great time. The beach boy I had as an instructor was great. He was patient, friendly, and provided feedback each time I got on the board which allowed me to stay up longer the next time and hone my skills. While it’s not something I can do on my own yet, I plan to take another lesson next year when I go back to Hawaii. As OP have said, it really works your core and your ability to balance on a moving object. It wasn’t until the end of the lesson that he told me I could also sit on the board and paddle. At least I can say I paddleboarded at Waikiki Beach with Diamond Head in the background!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter