Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Adventura hotel parking is $12 + tax per night
Parking rates kick in at midnight

All the onsite hotels have parking fees
Hotel guests with a car and day guests that park in their hotel lots

I have stickies in the UO hotel forums that list each hotel parking info

Aventura is actually only $12+tax per night. I just checked my confirmation email from yesterday's booking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just curious, what do you use for accommodations currently?

I can't speak for the person you quoted, but our family of 6 stays in a suite at AoA (and prior to that resort opening, we always got 2 rooms at Pop). That suite gives us two full bathrooms with one of them being split so that the vanity/sink area is separate from the shower/toilet area. Yes, it's significantly more expensive than the Universal suites, but that extra bathroom is a requirement for us as the 4 "kids" who travel with us are between the ages of 13-28. It's why we still stay in a suite rather than in a Deluxe Resort standard room even when we travel as a family of 5.

Aventura is actually only $12+tax per night. I just checked my confirmation email from yesterday's booking.

I had a typo and changed it after I posted.
If you recheck you will see it states $12 a night for parking.

Guess you came in prior to my correction

Well everyone that wants to stay offsite will have a new option up I-4 at Disney's biggest rival.

"Both hotels will offer rates as low as $73 per night and introduce Universal Orlando’s all-new Value hotel category."

Plus, there will be two-bedroom suites. "These suites will feature two separate bedrooms, a kitchenette and dining area, and a bathroom with a separate shower and vanity so the whole family can get #ReadyForUniversal. The 2 Bedroom Suites will sleep six for as little as $111 per night."

Maybe Disney should take a note...

https://blog.universalorlando.com/w...r-resort/?__source=av.TWITTER&linkId=50093458

Great option for many. Hope it leads to a cash stay war.

But give me a HRH Vacation Club and I might consider that.

Otherwise DVC is still untouchable.

I admit I'm chuckling a bit at the "have" to have 2 bathrooms. How spoiled we have become in our time. Once upon a time one bathroom, large-family homes were the norm. We just did a family get together with 10 people, 2 of whom have bowel disorders, 4 of whom were children ages 5-12 and 1 bathroom.... Lol. But there are times I would appreciate having a 2nd bathroom.

Well everyone that wants to stay offsite will have a new option up I-4 at Disney's biggest rival.

"Both hotels will offer rates as low as $73 per night and introduce Universal Orlando’s all-new Value hotel category."

Plus, there will be two-bedroom suites. "These suites will feature two separate bedrooms, a kitchenette and dining area, and a bathroom with a separate shower and vanity so the whole family can get #ReadyForUniversal. The 2 Bedroom Suites will sleep six for as little as $111 per night."

https://blog.universalorlando.com/w...r-resort/?__source=av.TWITTER&linkId=50093458

These look terrific, can't wait to try them out!

I admit I'm chuckling a bit at the "have" to have 2 bathrooms. How spoiled we have become in our time. Once upon a time one bathroom, large-family homes were the norm. We just did a family get together with 10 people, 2 of whom have bowel disorders, 4 of whom were children ages 5-12 and 1 bathroom.... Lol. But there are times I would appreciate having a 2nd bathroom.

I guess I've been "spoiled" for for over 50 years because I've only ever lived in one house with less than 2 bathrooms and that was when I was a very small child....and I certainly didn't grow up in a wealthy family or a huge house. Our current home has 4 full bathrooms so even going down to 2 for vacation is "roughing it". :D We usually stay at a Comfort Suites or something similar during our drive to Disney and then we only have 1 bathroom. It's doable for 1 or 2 nights here and there but 1 bathroom for 5 or 6 of us for 7 nights would not feel like a vacation. For us, vacation is about doing and having things that are a "luxury" compared to our every day life. I realize not every family has the same ideas/goals for vacation. We don't need to have 4 bathrooms on vacation, but two is a definite must for a week-long stay anywhere (unless it's just DH & I traveling...we can share. :D).

I guess I've been "spoiled" for for over 50 years because I've only ever lived in one house with less than 2 bathrooms and that was when I was a very small child....and I certainly didn't grow up in a wealthy family or a huge house. Our current home has 4 full bathrooms so even going down to 2 for vacation is "roughing it". :D We usually stay at a Comfort Suites or something similar during our drive to Disney and then we only have 1 bathroom. It's doable for 1 or 2 nights here and there but 1 bathroom for 5 or 6 of us for 7 nights would not feel like a vacation. For us, vacation is about doing and having things that are a "luxury" compared to our every day life. I realize not every family has the same ideas/goals for vacation. We don't need to have 4 bathrooms on vacation, but two is a definite must for a week-long stay anywhere (unless it's just DH & I traveling...we can share. :D).

Where do you normally stay?

Just curious, what do you use for accommodations currently?

I don't travel in a party of six, it's usually 2 or 4 adults. We usually get regular rooms at Pop or CSR (1 room for 2 people, 2 rooms for 4 people). I think one bathroom for four people is a stretch, though we have done it for shorter stays. With small children who don't need to shower every morning it might not be so bad.

People who only have landlines (yes there are still some) still have to pay for long distance.

I have two landlines at two places (I don't use either) and neither one have additional charges for long distance, non-international.

Not so sure.

But the 2 main factors are if you plan to visit WDW each year, and how long you keep the assets.

In 5 years the $30K car will be maybe $12K? The $20K maybe $9K?

5 years of dues on 100 points is $2.5K.

So it comes down to the 100 Point value. My guess $15K (or more with walking dist to Star Wars/TSL).

So the $30K car will loose $18K.

The $20K car will $11K.

But the BWV will go from $10K to $15K.

But here's the kicker, if you stay at BWI 5 weeks on cash you loose over $10K at $300 a night (or POP by then IMO).

Bottom line the $30K car lost $18K. An asset left of $12K on $30K invested.

The $20K car lost $11K but DVC gained $5K and saved $10K. An asset left of $34K on $32.5K invested.

I get what you are trying to say but I don't think you can compare a car to a timeshare. One is an optional vacation and another is a requirement to life in most places. You will utilize that timeshare "once" per year for a set number of days. You may/will be using your car potentially 7 days a week, multiple times a day. This car's cost is important to going to a job, going to the grocery, going to the doctor, transporting kids ........... the importance to performance of "doing life" makes the cost factor a much different value than a hotel room for a few days each year.

I have been on these boards for 11 years and have been going to WDW since a week after it opened. There have always been threads complaining. In the last year or so though those have been going up by leaps and bounds. This thread is 109 pages long with very little support for disney and is far from the only negative thread at this time. When the people who love Disney the most are changing plans ( we did due to the reports of ride breaking and capacity lowering) there is a problem. My hope is that Disney goes back to giving a magical experience at a decent price. I see us as the canary in the coal mine and Disney would be wise to take the warning._

THIS^ Been here 15 years, this is a whole new level of aggravation with Disney and it's change in business direction the last couple of years. I think we have a real problem when the new head of Disney Parks is a merchandise guy who has little experience or regard for creativity, the particular brand, the service & hospitality industry ............ all he is doing is mass producing and minimizing variation in order to make money. Unfortunately many who have been willing to pay the top dollar did it for the things he is eliminating. Putting him in place was a huge mistake. Adding dogs to hotels will drive away more guests than it will bring in, "security checks" when no other brand is doing it this way may well drive away (I stayed at a nice Hilton where Do Not Disturb still stands this week) and now the nickle & dime for items once included in the high rates ......... just to name a few of his changes that are negatives.

How about those rates? I don't even like that area but for those rates, I would look in to it. We were driving home from Disney reading this and both DS and I said we'd stay there and drive to Disney if we needed that many beds. And for sure would consider if we had any Universal or other attraction days.

Only downside is if they book groups. DS is a coach whose team compete at Disney but they take the kids to Universal parks. They will explore that option when they are complete.

One bathroom for six people? That's a big nope from me.

I totally agree. No way is our family of 6 spending a week in a suite with one bathroom. There are times that two bathrooms doesn't feel like enough.

I could switch from a Disney stay and get TWO of those suites and still have enough money leftover to be able afford Universal's parking fees...

I agree that two baths are optimal but our family has always been good at working around each other .... so if there is a suite, even with one bath, that is way more than half the price ... at times maybe a quarter of the price ......... we would make do.

When you can get two suites for sometimes substantially less than one suite .......... there is serious price inflation.

I scrolled back through recent posts and I can't find the one where the poster mentioned the freedom that has resulted from giving up the Disney bubble. I have been giving this a lot of thought and in some ways I am grateful for this parking fee. I know that sounds crazy, but I think it has allowed me to admit to myself that there are things that have been changing at WDW that I have chosen to overlook or deny. On our last trip, I was so exhausted from all the planning that I think it affected my enjoyment for the first time. So much time, so much anxiety about the best plan for getting FPs, less EMH, and so much more money spent. I don't regret it; we did have many magical moments and loved walking to F&W from the BW. But I am now taking a step back and rethinking how I am going to "do Disney" moving forward.

That is me :wave2: ^

You can look at my signature and know I like staying on property. Also have plenty of offsite stays. With each Disney stay and each bill I keep saying to myself ... why do you keep paying these rates when you get so little in return? How do you keep justifying paying this? In January I had my awakening with the disturbing daily "security check" and I booked my next trip (this week) offsite. My hope was Disney getting their stuff together and find a way to track what they are looking for in a way that is not intrusive to my VACATION. In the meantime I booked two more trips - offsite - still with hope hanging on a string I can switch. Well, now they added the parking fee and I am feeling such freedom, as you say. It's no longer me choosing to leave Disney, it's Disney asking me and my car to leave. So I will book offsite getting more value for my money, getting free breakfasts and/or kitchens or kitchenettes, I will get more space and more beds, I will spend less time on transportation since I will drive myself and I will get my privacy respected.

AND the ripple effect is saving money on food since I'll bring more or eat off property and I will feel more compelled to visit offsite attractions and sites. The big ripple will be lots less money of mine will now go to Disney.

Last edited:
I get what you are trying to say but I don't think you can compare a car to a timeshare. One is an optional vacation and another is a requirement to life in most places. You will utilize that timeshare "once" per year for a set number of days. You may/will be using your car potentially 7 days a week, multiple times a day. This car's cost is important to going to a job, going to the grocery, going to the doctor, transporting kids ........... the importance to performance of "doing life" makes the cost factor a much different value than a hotel room for a few days each year.

You totally missed the point.

I said you can buy a $30,000 car (many people do or even pay much more) and pay cash for every stay at WDW. Take the next 24 years times a week at WDW $____________

(It can be a $30K instead of a $40K car, or $15K or $25K, or $40K or $50 etc.)

"OR" instead of $30K, buy a $20,000 car (and do everything you mentioned above) and a 100 point (or 77 points for a week in Jan) BWV DVC for the same price. Now you stay at BWV for a week each year for dues app $500 (entire week) no tax and no parking fee. Just by buying a cheaper car.

It's was coming off all the "choices" people can make in life, and esp if you plan to visit WDW each year or so.

Last edited:
You totally missed the point.

I said you can buy a $30,000 car (many people do or even pay much more) and pay cash for every stay at WDW. Take the next 24 years times a week at WDW $____________

(It can be a $30K instead of a $40K car, or $15K or $25K, or $40K or $50 etc.)

"OR" instead of $30K, buy a $20,000 car (and do everything you mentioned above) and a 100 point (or 77 points for a week in Jan) BWV DVC for the same price. Now you stay at BWV for a week each year for dues app $500 (entire week) no tax and no parking fee. Just by buying a cheaper car.

It's was coming off all the "choices" people can make in life, and esp if you plan to visit WDW each year or so.

I didn't miss the point, I was making my own. I just don't think we see it the same is all.

That $20,00 layout for a car is likely getting you a cheap car or used car .... both coming with additional expenses or replacing. All you are doing is delaying the cost so you can buy two things ... but the cost will come later.

Disney timeshares sell at resale on average of 33% less than retail, so I see no increase in value.

I can't ignore the initial investment (that Disney is now making money on that I am not) when calculating weekly costs. It is part of your cost of staying. Looking at your BW rate, that is a studio, a single room for 5 that I am paying $655 a week for without even considering the big investment. I can rent a two bedroom at Bonnet Creek for that amount of money. Since I would want the two bedroom, and if I am investing I want the view to enjoy the outside space ... my overall cost (RESALE) if I keep it to the end of my ownership would be $3600 per week ...

We do agree that it's all about choices we make. I believe to buy into Disney you can't really look at it as an investment, but rather a membership to stay at somewhere you really want to stay at; Disney deluxe resort.

Last edited:

Seriously!! We’re a family of 5 and we live everyday with 1 bathroom!

I didn't miss the point, I was making my own. I just don't think we see it the same is all.

That $20,00 layout for a car is likely getting you a cheap car or used car .... both coming with additional expenses or replacing. All you are doing is delaying the cost so you can buy two things ... but the cost will come later.

Disney timeshares sell at resale on average of 33% less than retail, so I see no increase in value, so I don't see any increase in value.

Disagree, a new Loaded $30K Camry will likely go longer and cost less than many $40K cars, and likely better resale.

There's your $10K for DVC..

I can't ignore the initial investment (that Disney is now making money on that I am not) when calculating weekly costs. It is part of your cost of staying. Looking at your BW rate, that is a studio, a single room for 5 that I am paying $655 a week for without even considering the big investment.

That "big" investment could be available in my "less expensive" car scenario-the whole point I was making.

It was a scenario all about life choices/priorities.

I can rent a two bedroom at Bonnet Creek for that amount of money. Since I would want the two bedroom, and if I am investing I want the view to enjoy the outside space ... my overall cost (RESALE) if I keep it to the end of my ownership would be $3600 per week ...

Yep another example of "choice". I prefer BWV studio to compare Disney room rates, esp when walking to Star Wars, compared to staying at a 2BR offsite-not even close.

Plus we haven't even touched what that BWV contract might be worth even 5 years from now-we will see. It is a sellable asset.

We do agree that it's all about choices we make. I believe to buy into Disney you can't really look at it as an investment, but rather a membership to stay at somewhere you really want to stay at; Disney deluxe resort.

And a car is?

Agreed, I do look at this as investment hedge against room prices over the next 24 years, and get to stay at a Disney Deluxe resort-that's my entire point. Plus no parking fee.

Really the whole car scenario was just an example.

We could all buy cheaper cars and stay offsite or even stay home and save even more money.

But WDW Resorts are a desireable stay for many people.

I'm just tossing out one option-the option I would use even if starting over today. A BWV resale would be my first choice, with other DVC resales as my next choices. Yes even if it meant buying a cheaper car.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter