Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I think this proves they were not ready to roll this out. Unless they make you check in at the desk I think it will be hard to know who is driving and who is not. I’m sure they will work it out soon enough but seems to be lots of confusion.

Not hard at all. They just gate up all the parking lots and whomever drives in license recorded and etc. and fee added. Or, they're going to charge us at the gate for # of days, credit card, ....

Not hard at all. They just gate up all the parking lots and whomever drives in license recorded and etc. and fee added. Or, they're going to charge us at the gate for # of days, credit card, ....

How do they know who to bill from just a license? You could be in an Uber, being dropped off by a local, or be a day guest who doesn’t have to pay. Even if you use a MB tied to your reservation, the car may not be staying but will need to enter to drop you off.

Unless they hire people to handle this properly, I can see a lot of errors happening. And Disney doesn’t want to spend the cash on CM’s.

I think this proves they were not ready to roll this out. Unless they make you check in at the desk I think it will be hard to know who is driving and who is not. I’m sure they will work it out soon enough but seems to be lots of confusion.

If they really wanted to this you do it like other paid parking places do it. You get a ticket or a pass when you enter the lot (or scan MB) and you get x hours "free" and on exit you scan ticket or MB and get charged appropriately or nothing if in the window.

Or you give everybody a paper parking pass at check-in or from security and they go around and check them at night and toe/boot if you don't have valid pass.

How do they know who to bill from just a license? You could be in an Uber, being dropped off by a local, or be a day guest who doesn’t have to pay. Even if you use a MB tied to your reservation, the car may not be staying but will need to enter to drop you off.

Unless they hire people to handle this properly, I can see a lot of errors happening. And Disney doesn’t want to spend the cash on CM’s.
needs no humans. get ticket from machine when you pull in, pay when you leave.

So when we stayed during Easter week, Poly DVC, I was speaking to the security guard and he said that guests need to write in if they are not happy about this because what is happening is people who have reservations at the resort are finding it hard to get parking spots because those who aren't supposed to be there are parking there. How you ask? i.e. at the Poly, security will tell people to circle back around and then they will turn as they are exiting and just go right into the other parking lot and security can do nothing about it. He said they have been told once they pull off, they can't confront them etc. and so many are just doing as they please and getting free parking while those at the resorts have no where to park AND they are paying to park there (besides DVC). I don't like the idea of paying to park and I may be writing a letter soon about my thoughts on it as he said complaints from customers will be the only way it will be changed.

So when we stayed during Easter week, Poly DVC, I was speaking to the security guard and he said that guests need to write in if they are not happy about this because what is happening is people who have reservations at the resort are finding it hard to get parking spots because those who aren't supposed to be there are parking there. How you ask? i.e. at the Poly, security will tell people to circle back around and then they will turn as they are exiting and just go right into the other parking lot and security can do nothing about it. He said they have been told once they pull off, they can't confront them etc. and so many are just doing as they please and getting free parking while those at the resorts have no where to park AND they are paying to park there (besides DVC). I don't like the idea of paying to park and I may be writing a letter soon about my thoughts on it as he said complaints from customers will be the only way it will be changed.
Here......
These are who to contact.

Robert.Chapek@disney.com

george.kalogridis@disney.com

robert.a.iger@disney.com

Curious - Has anyone been charged the parking fee yet? I know of one person that booked a last minute trip (after the parking fees went into effect) and they said the fees were waived.
Just sharing my experience, stayed tuesday and wednesday night this week at All-Star Movies and was not charged for parking. Balance due was $0.

Either they haven't figured out how to enforce it yet or they are going to do away with it.

I saw a twitter post that makes me think that if you have driven to the resort that you are supposed to go to the front desk and tell them you have a car. Now if this is true, how many of us would really do this???? Without changing the process for entering/existing a resort, enforcing seems to be extremely challenging.

The Dolphin and Swan are able to enforce this fairly easily. When you go to park your car, you get a ticket at the gate entrance. You present the ticket when you exit. Also, upon check-in, if I recall when I stayed there, they asked if you had a car. So this would allow me in/out privileges. Otherwise I would have to pay every time I left the parking lot.

I do not believe that Disney is going to invest in the infrastructure to correctly monitor this and enforce this. If they did, then that would eat into the profits that they are probably trying to get from this entire situation. So I guess we will all have to wait and see what happens.

needs no humans. get ticket from machine when you pull in, pay when you leave.
That wouldn't really be accurate either. There are a lot of reasons you may need to leave the resort.

For the All-Stars there's McDonald's right there on property. Then for my husband and I we made a trip at night to CVS.

Your suggestion works only if the lot, regardless of reason (i.e. Day or Overnight Guest, there for ADR or shopping) becomes fully paid with only X number of hours period free. But even then I can still see issues especially for certain resorts. If you're leaving to go to McDonald's for example and you only get X number of hours free would then the free time restart as you reenter the parking lot after a quick stop at McDonald's, etc?

I'd see your way as forcing people to stay put after X time at night.

I saw a twitter post that makes me think that if you have driven to the resort that you are supposed to go to the front desk and tell them you have a car. Now if this is true, how many of us would really do this???? Without changing the process for entering/existing a resort, enforcing seems to be extremely challenging.

The Dolphin and Swan are able to enforce this fairly easily. When you go to park your car, you get a ticket at the gate entrance. You present the ticket when you exit. Also, upon check-in, if I recall when I stayed there, they asked if you had a car. So this would allow me in/out privileges. Otherwise I would have to pay every time I left the parking lot.

I do not believe that Disney is going to invest in the infrastructure to correctly monitor this and enforce this. If they did, then that would eat into the profits that they are probably trying to get from this entire situation. So I guess we will all have to wait and see what happens.
Yep and if you do online check in you bypass the entirety of interacting with someone who would be asking if you have a car or not.

Yep and if you do online check in you bypass the entirety of interacting with someone who would be asking if you have a car or not

And I am wondering if that is why the parking fee for people travelling from the UK is being waived for 2019. Can people travelling from the UK (or any other country outside of the US) even do online check-in at a Disney resort? I thought I hear that they have to go to the front desk to get their magic bands.

And I am wondering if that is why the parking fee for people travelling from the UK is being waived for 2019. Can people travelling from the UK (or any other country outside of the US) even do online check-in at a Disney resort? I thought I hear that they have to go to the front desk to get their magic bands.
I’m not sure but I think you’re right.

We can't have our magic bands shipped so we have to collect them from front desk. I think we can still do online check in though.

I think it's more to do with that we can book package holiday as far as 18 months ahead and people probably have for most of 2019 so I think it's just to cover everyone who currently has a booking.

I wonder if they’re going to move to a system where you will be unable to scan your band as a returning guest to enter the resort parking lot without first having it linked that you are using overnight parking.

It's more likely because Disney vacations in the UK are handled by a not-quite Disney affiliate company. Whatever deals were in place when Disney allocated out rooms to DisneyHolidays.co.uk for 2019 already had the offers and terms baked in months back.

Also for anyone in the UK who has already booked for 2018/2019, which will be a lot of people because international travelers tend to book 12 months out, UK law will ensure that Disney can't materially alter the booking fees after the fact.

All round, its just easier for them to let it slide for a year, then pretend like its a UK perk on the UK bookings site.

Yep and if you do online check in you bypass the entirety of interacting with someone who would be asking if you have a car or not.
Somehow, this does not seem fair. Of course, people sneak coffee in the food court too.

I've never done on-line check in before. But now I guess I'll have to, if this is how everybody else is saving the parking fee.

That wouldn't really be accurate either. There are a lot of reasons you may need to leave the resort.

For the All-Stars there's McDonald's right there on property. Then for my husband and I we made a trip at night to CVS.

Your suggestion works only if the lot, regardless of reason (i.e. Day or Overnight Guest, there for ADR or shopping) becomes fully paid with only X number of hours period free. But even then I can still see issues especially for certain resorts. If you're leaving to go to McDonald's for example and you only get X number of hours free would then the free time restart as you reenter the parking lot after a quick stop at McDonald's, etc?

The machines can charge you by the day easily. You can come and go as many times as you like. Many parking lots have this!

No there are systems in place where a ticket can be marked as an in/out ticket. I’ve very stayed at many hotels where I hand them the parking ticket I picked up on the way in. They run it through their machine and I pop it in and out for as long as my stay.

I imagine a system could be made to give the option of scanning magic bands or giving tickets, whichever is required. The technology is there already for hotels, hospitals and various types of car parking scenarios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter