Parents of the Class of 2019

DD is also busy socializing. Pretty much last week she was just with us and her sister was home too, but yesterday she had boyfriend's family Christmas, a HS friend out today, two more HS friends tomorrow, and college friends here the rest of the week. At some point I will make her apply for the college's department scholarships for next year and she needs to prepare for her next audition!

I hope your son is feeling better from his surgery, Laughing Place.
Congratulations to everyone's great grades and am glad to hear of so many getting quality time with family and friends.

My son has been working A LOT. He asked for 20 hrs/week and got 36 this week. (Thankfully, he was off Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and they're closed New Year's Day, too.) It's more than he'd anticipated, but he said it will be good to build up his spending money for spring semester. He was considering applying for an on-campus job, but if he can get his bank account where he wants it to be by working over break (he's here till the end of January) he says he might NOT work during the semester. I'm fine with that.

Hopefully though, he'll be able to get a little more time with his friends. He's seen them a few times, but between his work commitments and their commitments, finding time to meet up has been a challenge!

I am enjoying having Dd home for break even though she has worked at Penny’s over the holiday. She has had the Penny’s job for two years before leaving for College they did a leave of absence so she can fill in at these times. Dd is somewhat happy to be home but missing her boyfriend who went home to upstate New York , this is the boy I said she seemed to get close to freshman week.
Dd got a lot of money for Christmas so we have devised a plan for her to fly up to surprise him this Sunday lol young love 😜

DD has been spending time with us, and with friends. Since we're in CO and she's going to school in Boston, there aren't any friends that are coming out, it's just too expensive, and the guy she's sort of dating is being squirrelly right now, so no school friends are here. She's going out with friends to the Botanical Gardens to do their light walk, then hang out for New Years.

It looks like she's not going to worry about working over break, since she had to miss the lifeguard class, but she does want to go work out with the local underwater hockey team, so that will help keep her busy too.

Dd got a lot of money for Christmas so we have devised a plan for her to fly up to surprise him this Sunday lol young love 😜

That's fun! They will remember getting to do these impulsive things!

DD is a little disappointed in the amount of time she's gotten to spend with BF so far over break. He's a senior at her HS, so he's "local" except for his house is 28 miles from ours...and he has a ton of sport, family, school, and work obligations. She understands but misses him a lot. His house is an hour from her college so he can run down now and then. Next year they might be 5 hours apart. He likes her college and its location and program for his major, the only problem is he can't play football there. So it's sort of on his list but he really wants to play football. Decisions are hard!

Last edited:
Happy new year everyone! The rest of us went back to work and school today (well, DH worked Monday and Tues.) and DS19 is loving not having to go anywhere quite yet. He's got most of January off and plans to apply for scholarships and summer internships, read, watch movies and generally lounge around. We were away for a week at Christmas but he's seen a few friends since he's been home and is planning on seeing more. It's been so nice to have him with us for a while, even though we saw him several times over the semester, it still doesn't feel "right" for him to be away. To me anyway; I'm sure he'll have a different view, lol. And saw his grades, all As, including two A+. I'm really proud :).

Last edited:
DD’s boyfriend and college friends just left, they had a great time in NYC for NYE, made it home by 3 am. She’s napping and is planning on going back to dance this month just for fun, so class tonight. She has been out with her friends or have had friends here every night. Two of her HS friends also stayed over last night, she forgot to tell me, not following my new rule of letting me know who is sleeping here (after the valedictorian ran by me at noon one day when his mom was ringing my doorbell, I would’ve been very embarrassed if I answered and told her her son wasn’t here).

Seems like all of our kids are doing well, working and/or socializing over break.

DS is back to normal after having his wisdom teeth out. I'm glad that's over! Now that he's feeling better, he's been getting together with friends from high school - trying to fit tons in before he goes back to school on the 12th.

Seems like all of our kids are doing well, working and/or socializing over break.

DS is back to normal after having his wisdom teeth out. I'm glad that's over! Now that he's feeling better, he's been getting together with friends from high school - trying to fit tons in before he goes back to school on the 12th.
My DS16 had his wisdom teeth out this week. He's been so fine that he can't even keep a straight face as he whines that he is starving to death because he can't eat crunchy peanut butter, cheez its or chips right now. Lol.

Aw, sorry he didn’t pass Calc 2 but I’m glad he passed physics.

Two thoughts:
1) My son’s college has a freshman forgiveness policy. I think students can apply for it (no more than 2 classes). Once approved, they can retake the class to replace their grade on their transcript. Does your son’s school offer similar?

2) My son’s scholarship is reviewed annually, so one bad semester won’t kill you as long as you can bring your GPA up to the acceptable level before the renewal. Maybe your son’s scholarship is the same?

So speaking with DD he did pass calc 2 because he did not get a F.

I have to think about this. I was going to have him drop down to calc 1 next, then summer take calc 2 at out of district community college and then take calc 3 at university.

Or he can go on to calc 3 now at community college.

DD flies back to her university today, and Winter quarter classes begin on Monday. She won't come home to Texas again until mid-June. Three weeks was not long enough for this mama--it seemed so short and I have so enjoyed having her home. I had back surgery on Dec 19, and she has been such a good sport helping me out. She had a great time spending time with several friend groups during the break--it was so nice to walk into the living room and see a group of kids playing Twister and laughing like crazy, or to hear about their college adventures. The last day was here before I knew it. Tonight, after tackling some packing until midnight, she and I and her dog laid on my bed for four hours just talking about her Winter quarter classes, her friends, what we might do when I come to Parents Weekend in February, researching what kind of housing to try for and what tier she might want to use for The Draw for housing (gah... Stanford upperclassmen housing draw is so complicated), and discussing articles I had seen in the Stanford Daily and how things had gone down from her perpective (including such random things as a new ice cream place in Palo Alto that makes its products from water buffalo milk lol). I can see how excited she is to return and tackle another semester and see her Stanford friends, but I am sure going to miss her!! As will her little dog. It feels like this time might be harder leaving her at the airport than it has been before and I don't want to cry in front of her. I made the mistake of watching the movie "A Dog's Purpose" a few days ago (my eyes leaked quite a bit during that movie--especially the part when Ethan moved away to college) and I keep thinking about how my DD's dog keeps looking for her in our house when she is away at school--he just does not understand--so that is not helping at all.

Ok...whew...thanks for letting me get it all out of my system here, so hopefully I can be in "I am so excited for you sweetheart" mode today and not cry. Enjoy your DDs and DSs!!!

Last edited:
DD is still trying to get over her cold/flu, so she's been bundled up in a blanket pretty much since the New Year. She decided she's not going to worry about trying to work while she's here, considering she's only got 2 weeks left, that's not a problem. She will probably also not go work out with the local underwater hockey league, since she's still under the weather. But she will get to celebrate her 19th birthday with us, as it's the 15th before she goes back to school on the 20th!

This weekend DD and roommate came to the decision that they will just keep their apartment for themselves and not add two girls. The landlord said he'd raise the rent $300 if they did so the savings weren't significant enough to crowd in. Now we can be thinking about furniture! Browsed Craigslist and FB Marketplace last night and got an idea what they like. Tried to get a desk/vanity but it had just sold. Bigger stuff better wait till later but it's fun to see what's out there.

This week may feel like a letdown after DD has had so much company and activities. She's going to make a fleece blanket, memorize lines for current production, prepare audition for next one, apply for scholarships and go to wrestling meets though. If it's a little boring and lonely, then she'll be ready to go back (though I think she would be anyway).

Is anyone else still waiting on next semester's bill? Granted, our bills came out late for the fall semester too, but this is taking forever!

Is anyone else still waiting on next semester's bill? Granted, our bills came out late for the fall semester too, but this is taking forever!

Ours actually came out pretty early - even before we had 1st semester grades. Payment is due next week, so we'll be paying it soon.

Looks like I'll be driving back with my son and his roommate Friday afternoon. Snow is in the forecast in NY for Saturday and Sunday, so to be safe, I'll be taking them back a day earlier than originally planned. We had a nice week-long vacation as a family right after Christmas, though, so we had a lot of good quality time with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts