Parents of the Class of 2019

We've had our bill for a month -- before last semester was even over. It's due tomorrow (I paid last week). Classes begin 1/27. Do you know when the bill is due? I hope they give you an adequate amount of time to pay it.

DS is allowed to change his meal plan between semesters. He decided to change his, so he submitted the paperwork right before Christmas, but apparently the bursar's office was closed between Christmas and New Year, so the change wasn't updated on his bill till recently. He switched to a lower-cost plan, so I didn't want to pay the first bill then have to deal with trying to get a refund.

Is anyone else still waiting on next semester's bill? Granted, our bills came out late for the fall semester too, but this is taking forever!

My DD bill came out on Nov 15 and payment was due Dec 15. But... they are on the quarter system and first day back in classes for the new quarter was yesterday. Still, I am surprised you have not received yours!

We've had our bill for a month -- before last semester was even over. It's due tomorrow (I paid last week). Classes begin 1/27. Do you know when the bill is due? I hope they give you an adequate amount of time to pay it.

DS is allowed to change his meal plan between semesters. He decided to change his, so he submitted the paperwork right before Christmas, but apparently the bursar's office was closed between Christmas and New Year, so the change wasn't updated on his bill till recently. He switched to a lower-cost plan, so I didn't want to pay the first bill then have to deal with trying to get a refund.

They give us 30 days after the bill is generated before it's due, which is nice, they're just really behind. DD is also changing her meal plan, she really doesn't like the food at school so isn't using her swipes at all. We're going to take it down to the lowest level they have which is more than enough for her.

Freshmen at RIT are required to have at least 10 meal swipes per week, 5 of which have to be used at the main cafeteria on campus. Our son generally uses all his other 5 meal swipes and most of his other 'dining dollars' (which can be used anywhere), but quickly grew tired of the big cafeteria, so unfortunately, most of those swipes go unused. He's planning on being in apartment-style living on campus next year, so we'll switch him over to a plan that doesn't require him to eat anywhere specific, plus gives him more $$ to spend on things he can cook in his apartment.

She's on her way back, it was a fun filled break for her for the most part. Classes start Wednesday but rehearsals start tonight. She'll be back this weekend for my mom's Christmas!

Thursday she auditions for Into the Woods! She's pretty excited about that and doesn't care if she gets a role or ensemble or crew. As long as she gets to be involved.

Little dose of reality for her yesterday as I had her pay her Discover bill while she was home. It had Christmas shopping on it, she had fronted money for friends' theatre tickets, thrift shopping for herself, etc. and the balance was kind of high. It put a little fear in her as she resolved to be more careful. No time for a job, but she made/received a little money over break I can deposit. She has money in savings, but we'll try to leave that for more important things. It's good for her to see the checking go down and feel like she needs to conserve. She's not my frugal child.

Good luck to your daughter in her auditions. I am not at all an actor/singer/dancer, but I was on the crew for all of my high school productions. The directors claimed that they did not give "charity parts." However, it was common knowledge that they gave the 'best' off-stage roles to the people who auditioned and got cut -- like stage manager, costume director, etc. So I tried out every year, even though I knew I sucked, in order to get that good role. Spring of senior year, I really wanted to be stage manager... and they put me in the freaking ensemble. It was fun and different, but I had MORE fun on crew. And clearly they DO give charity parts!

I hear you about the money balance. DS has built up a nice savings but even he commented about how quickly your balance declines around the holidays. And now he needs to buy books for the upcoming semester (he pays for that).

DS still has 2 weeks of break left, but pretty much all of his friends have left to go back to school themselves. :( Hopefully he won't get too bored. He's still working a lot, so that's keeping him pretty busy. He did find out that one of his old XC teammates who's a sophomore will have a semester-long internship in our town for spring semester... so he's going to be sticking around. He started the internship today. However, it's an accounting internship, and it's "busy season" so he's not sure how much he'll get to see him.

DD still has a week before she heads back. She's happy right now because she's finally over that cold/flu junk and can hang out a bit with her best friend who also goes back next weekend. She working on determining what her plans for Spring Break are. We aren't going to be at home because DH and I are going on an 80s Cruise. DS who is a Junior will be here, and they'll ski some probably, but she's debating seeing if her cousin wants to meet her in Florida at her grandparents house for a few days of sun and beach time. (Grandparents would pay for the flights to FL and then Denver if they do this...)

She's on her way back, it was a fun filled break for her for the most part. Classes start Wednesday but rehearsals start tonight. She'll be back this weekend for my mom's Christmas!

Thursday she auditions for Into the Woods! She's pretty excited about that and doesn't care if she gets a role or ensemble or crew. As long as she gets to be involved.

Little dose of reality for her yesterday as I had her pay her Discover bill while she was home. It had Christmas shopping on it, she had fronted money for friends' theatre tickets, thrift shopping for herself, etc. and the balance was kind of high. It put a little fear in her as she resolved to be more careful. No time for a job, but she made/received a little money over break I can deposit. She has money in savings, but we'll try to leave that for more important things. It's good for her to see the checking go down and feel like she needs to conserve. She's not my frugal child.
Dd23 played rapunzel in college (she did all of the HS musicals and community theater, so it was nice to see her on stage senior year).

Friends are starting to go back, it seems like there is a goodbye outing every other day. I was worried because she goes back on the 9th, but she is visiting her roommate in MD this weekend, her boyfriend on LI next weekend, and then heading to CT to visit another UD friend, then Quinnipiac and then Marist the last weekend she is home. She has a large friend group, not one of them stayed home for college. She is still trying to tweak her schedule, as of yesterday she had a 3 hour bio lab and 3 hour chem lab on the same day, which she wants to change.

DS went back today. He got into a carpool at the last minute, so DH was glad not to have to drive the whole way (just meet the other parent at a certain spot).

I was talking to a friend yesterday who made an interesting observation that they all arrive back at school changed after this first break. - Either they go home and realize it doesn't feel quite "home" any more, or they go home and appreciate it more than ever!

Dd surprised her boyfriend an it went well. She doesn’t go back till Jan 26 an has been working then today she wrecked her car , she is ok the car is not. Now she doesn’t take this car to College as it is 16 yrs old an wouldn’t make the trip. Dd is sad about it since it was her first car and she worked an saved to buy it.

Glad your DD was alright, TB’sWidow. Cars can be replaced.

Happy to hear, all are getting back to school routine.

Yeah, miss her already. And yeah, even with the lowest plan, DD is not too fond of most of the food, so I wish we could just give her money to buy what she would eat. We do supplement her with dorm food I buy, and send her Amazon pantry orders. She too is thinking of an apartment on campus next year, that has a kitchen, so they are not required to have a meal plan. Will be a better fit for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!